Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 34763 times)

Offline pg1067

And so we reach the halfway point….

26 Outside Looking In (Inside Out – 6)

Appeared on 14 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 11 (nick_z, wolfking)

I know some folks say that Inside Out is just a discount Parallels, but I don’t see why that’s a bad thing.  Toward the end of the ‘80s and into the ‘90s, many of my favorite bands were letting me down.  Fates was the one constant during this time.  OLI kicked off this album in fine fashion and let me know right off the bat that everything was going to be ok.  The song came in at #15 on my ranking.

25 A Pleasant Shade of Gray IX (Stayed Up Late Last Night) (APSOG – 6)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (SoundscapeMN)

I told you that 21-30 was going to be mostly about two albums, so here you go.  This is an excellent piece, coming on the heels of the fast, odd time etude at the end of VIII and leading into the climax of X/XI.  It reminds me A LOT of the Whispers on the Wind section of The Ivory Gate of Dreams.  Ray delivers a heartfelt performance.  Joey’s fretless bass provides great accents, and Jim’s lyrics paint such a vivid picture.  This was my third highest ranked APSOG track and #19 overall.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

I didn't rank Outside Looking In.  #9 for APSOG IX.  That one is all about Ray for me.

Offline Zoom E

I have Outside Looking In at #26 and APSOG IX at #18.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Outside Looking In (#32): I really like this song, but I think it's the one that suffers most from the thin Inside Out production.

APSOG IX (#38): It's truly a beautiful song and Ray indeed shines on it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nick_z

Outside Looking In - My rank: #11

First time high-ranker in this countdown (shared, but still  :))! Almost made my top 10. To me, this song exemplifies how IO is not just rehashing what the band was doing on Parallels. Sure, it was the least significant stylistic leap up to that point, but many of the songs in IO showed an even more "concise" songwriting, without losing any of the subtle complexities. Outside Looking In, to my ears, could fit in a more "mature" version of Perfect Symmetry. Instrumentally, it has that futuristic vibe, with Zonder's flourishes of electronic percussion and chord stabs that almost sound Voivod-ian. Yet the melodies really manage to stand out, especially in the chorus. Zonder's cymbal work on this one is just wonderful.

APSOG IX - Not Ranked

Barely missed my top 50. Very pretty song that, once again, works especially well in the context of the album. Nice performances by everyone, and Matheos' solo is especially sweet. I have a good memory of this song - the band had an in-store appearance in Milan as part of the press tour for the album release. The core line-up was there (Alder, Matheos, Zonder and Vera), and this was one of the tunes they performed, fully acoustic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I had Outside Looking In at #40. Real nice way to Open Inside Out.

I had APSOG  IX (Stayed Up Late One Night at #48. Just squeaked into the Countdown for me. Real nice and smooth.

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IV (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42                                                                              Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear
36  Another Perfect Day
35  The Apparition
32  Silent Cries
31  Don't Follow Me
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
10  Shelter Me
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

Outside Looking In - 31 for me. As devieira73 mentioned I also think this song suffers a bit from the production, some really cool parts are a bit buried in the mix and agree the overall sound is thin and takes away much of the power of the track.

APSOG IX - 42 on my list. Great vocals from Ray.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice to be a high ranker.  Just a brilliant song, love everything about it.  Frank's super melodic yet simple solo is the icing on the cake too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

Outside Looking In #42
Fantastic song. I was surprised just how many songs from this album made my list and this song just keeps getting better.

APSOG IX #21
A beautiful piece.  My first spin of APSOG had me stop twice and hit repeat. IX was one of those times ;)

Offline pg1067

24 Part of the Machine (Perfect Symmetry – 2)

Appeared on 13 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 5 (pg1067)

Well…as high ranker, I obviously love this song.  The second high rank was 10, and it also pulled an 11.  However, I really thought it would rank in the top 20.  I had never heard anything like this when I first hear it in the summer of 1989.  I thought there was something wrong with my stereo at first, but then the actual song kicked in.  Odd times galore, and a BASS SOLO during the second verse??  Hell yes.  The rhythms over the guitar solo are crazy complex, and I love the way Frank (I think…) lays back with the solo.  Ray delivers a ridiculously good vocal performance, with lyrics that really resonated with me at the time.  Also, listen to the outro while panning between the left and right channels.  Harmonic perfection.

23 Wish (FWX – 3)

Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 7 (Awaken)

I am almost completely unfamiliar with this song…even though they played it when I saw them on the DIADL tour.  Listening to it as I type this…halfway through and I’m bored to tears.  Oh…there’s a nice little guitar solo over the same rhythm that has been playing incessantly throughout this song.  This epitomizes what I think of Disconnected and FWX.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

It’s been a crazy couple of days and I’ve fallen behind. Let me deal with the new stuff first and then I’ll do another post with my catch-up stuff.

I LOVE Part of the Machine! I had it at #12 and it’s still only my 3rd favorite from Perfect Symmetry. (The other two are 10 and 11 but…spoilers) Everything that pg said is spot on. The cold intro, the way the main riff finally kicks in, the time changes, the lyrics…just a fantastic song. Sometimes it fights with my other two favorites from this album.

Wish was #92 on my first list, and wasn’t included in subsequent rankings. Don’t get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm hopelessly behind on this and still on vacation, but I just need to comment on Wish. I don't remember exactly where this fell in my ranking, but this is such an amazing moody and atmospheric song. I love it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

I'm hopelessly behind on this and still on vacation, but I just need to comment on Wish. I don't remember exactly where this fell in my ranking, but this is such an amazing moody and atmospheric song. I love it.

#11 for me, and I completely agree with you.  They didn't play it at any of the shows I've seen, but I'd really love to see it live some day.

Offline pg1067

I LOVE Part of the Machine! I had it at #12 and it’s still only my 3rd favorite from Perfect Symmetry. (The other two are 10 and 11 but…spoilers)

It's my #1 from PS, but #2 and #3 are also in my top 10 (but one of those isn't even on the consensus top 50  >:( ).

It was your #27 song.

Offline nick_z

Part of the Machine - My rank: #10

So, Part of the Machine is literally the first FW song I heard. As I was getting into prog metal, after being blown away by DT with Images & Words, I was reading up as much as I could about other "classics" in the genre (precursors, if you will). There was this pretty thorough article in a magazine tracing the origins of what would be known as "progressive metal" and of course FW were mentioned (this was 1993 I believe). Anyway, Perfect Symmetry was highlighted and when I saw it at the record store, I snatched the CD. The first impact wasn't the easiest - this certainly wasn't the sound of I&W  ;) The off-kilter melodies, the more "bare bones" production...not an straightforward listen. Sure enough, though, the album kept drawing me back in. Part of the Machine is a whole microcosm for this process. A difficult song to wrap your head around, but when it started making sense...well, it was just wonderful. Couldn't agree more with pg...the bass lead in the second verse! Crazy, but it just works. And THAT riff when the songs changes up, around 3:15. So, so cool. The song really gets "metal" after that, but the cold, thin sound of the guitars makes the whole thing so different (I know from reading Wagner's book that the band is not happy about the way the guitars sound...for me, though, it really is part of what makes this album so special)

Bottom line - top 10 song for me (I guess I was that second highest ranker!) Great stuff.

Wish - Not Ranked

Wow, I'm kinda surprised this ranked so high. Actually, it looks like FWX is doing better than expected in the aggregate list (purely based on previous anecdotal evidence, even here at DTF, that there isn't a ton of appreciation for the album). Regardless, this is a pretty good song, just missing my top 50...another example of the fact that the moody tunes on FWX tend to work better than the rockers...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
POTM - 43.  Solid song.

Wish - 32.  Really great song on an underrated album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

23 Wish (FWX – 3)

Part of the Machine - unranked. This song is all over the place but I can see how it could really appeal, however didn't make the cut for me.

Wish - unranked. Really wasn't expecting to see this one, especially this high in the countdown.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

23 Wish (FWX – 3)

I ranked neither. I find Part Of the machine kind of robotic and a bit sharp around the edges.
Wish..I couldn't tell you the first thing about it.

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42                                                                              Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day
35  The Apparition
32  Silent Cries
31  Don't Follow Me
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
10  Shelter Me
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 12:56:38 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

Just a quick heads up that I'll be driving to Boston and flying home tomorrow, so I likely will not be posting anything tomorrow (Monday) (although I have a 2+ hour layover in Chicago, so maybe).

Offline Glasser

Just a quick heads up that I'll be driving to Boston and flying home tomorrow, so I likely will not be posting anything tomorrow (Monday) (although I have a 2+ hour layover in Chicago, so maybe).

More time for some Armored Saint!!!!  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

Well…as high ranker, I obviously love this song.  The second high rank was 10, and it also pulled an 11.  However, I really thought it would rank in the top 20.  I had never heard anything like this when I first hear it in the summer of 1989.  I thought there was something wrong with my stereo at first, but then the actual song kicked in.  Odd times galore, and a BASS SOLO during the second verse??  Hell yes.  The rhythms over the guitar solo are crazy complex, and I love the way Frank (I think…) lays back with the solo.  Ray delivers a ridiculously good vocal performance, with lyrics that really resonated with me at the time.  Also, listen to the outro while panning between the left and right channels.  Harmonic perfection.

23 Wish (FWX – 3)

I am almost completely unfamiliar with this song…even though they played it when I saw them on the DIADL tour.  Listening to it as I type this…halfway through and I’m bored to tears.  Oh…there’s a nice little guitar solo over the same rhythm that has been playing incessantly throughout this song.  This epitomizes what I think of Disconnected and FWX.

Part of the Machine was #16 on my list and Wish made it all the way to #8 for me. LOVE both songs, but I tend to listen to Wish more often... albeit the shorter version in Live Over Europe. The studio version isn't bad at all IMO, but I do think the shortened time works in the song's favor in the live version. I'm not currently a parent (which I assume the song was originally written to be from the POV of), but the lyrics to Wish are crazy relatable to me as a general 'wish' towards others I care about and thoughts that I tend to struggle with on my own.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline WardySI

Wish #17
Love it and feel it's one of the better moody Fates numbers.  Those keys/piano have a cool late 80's feel about them too.

Part Of The Machine NR
Realm described this as all over the place and I tend to agree. Dug the album but this was never a song that drew me back however will be playing it again shortly see if anything more clicks ;)

Offline Awaken

23 Wish (FWX – 3)

Part of the Machine was #16 on my list and Wish made it all the way to #8 for me. LOVE both songs, but I tend to listen to Wish more often... albeit the shorter version in Live Over Europe. The studio version isn't bad at all IMO, but I do think the shortened time works in the song's favor in the live version. I'm not currently a parent (which I assume the song was originally written to be from the POV of), but the lyrics to Wish are crazy relatable to me as a general 'wish' towards others I care about and thoughts that I tend to struggle with on my own.

Wish was the first song I felt such a deep connection to, lyrically and melodically, that I still feel like it was written just for me (for lack of a better way to say it).  I share the sentiment above, that it's written from the point of view of a new parent with an overwhelming sense of responsibility that no one ever prepares you for.  I have no idea if that's accurate, and I don't really care, but that's my personal take. 

I was still expecting my first child (my daughter) when FWX was released, and I was kind of strapped for cash so it wasn't a release day purchase.  My then wife surprised me with the CD for Christmas, and by then I had only been a parent for about 6 weeks.  When I heard Wish for the first time I could not believe what I was hearing.  All of the words seemed to be from my thoughts for the past 6 weeks, down to sitting in her dark room for hours watching her sleep, just hoping beyond hope I could get out of my own way and be a great father to this new human who needed me for everything.  Hearing this song, even now, brings me right back to her darkened nursery and the feelings are sometimes overwhelming.  Literal chills every time I hear it. 

Sorry for the long winded explanation - this song gets me every time. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #478 on: October 24, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
22   APSOG V   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Wish (#25 for me) - I always loved this song, it has a really great OSI vibe and Awaken's post make it even better, since I also can totally relate to his thoughts.
Part of the Machine (#42 for me) - It opens PS in a great fashion, but the album just goes better from here.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zoom E

I had Part of the Machine at #19 and Wish at #23.

Awaken, it was nice to read about your connection to Wish and how meaningful it is to you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wasn't paying attention much, but Zoom's comment made me go back to see what Awaken had written.

Wish was the first song I felt such a deep connection to, lyrically and melodically, that I still feel like it was written just for me (for lack of a better way to say it).  I share the sentiment above, that it's written from the point of view of a new parent with an overwhelming sense of responsibility that no one ever prepares you for.  I have no idea if that's accurate, and I don't really care, but that's my personal take. 

I was still expecting my first child (my daughter) when FWX was released, and I was kind of strapped for cash so it wasn't a release day purchase.  My then wife surprised me with the CD for Christmas, and by then I had only been a parent for about 6 weeks.  When I heard Wish for the first time I could not believe what I was hearing.  All of the words seemed to be from my thoughts for the past 6 weeks, down to sitting in her dark room for hours watching her sleep, just hoping beyond hope I could get out of my own way and be a great father to this new human who needed me for everything.  Hearing this song, even now, brings me right back to her darkened nursery and the feelings are sometimes overwhelming.  Literal chills every time I hear it.   

You just made me listen to it and I totally get it. Glad you have such a connection to it and brings back those awesome memories. No greater bond than with a child.

The Lovely Mrs TAC once surprised me with a CD after I received some tough news, and I am still amazed by it.

Offline WardySI

I wasn't paying attention much, but Zoom's comment made me go back to see what Awaken had written.

You just made me listen to it and I totally get it. Glad you have such a connection to it and brings back those awesome memories. No greater bond than with a child.

The Lovely Mrs TAC once surprised me with a CD after I received some tough news, and I am still amazed by it.

Yeah thanks for sharing Awaken that was great and exactly what I like to read in these types threads...

TAC, which CD it was it if you don't mind me asking?

Offline pg1067

Alright…back to it!

21T Pale Fire (Inside Out – 7)

Highest Ranking: 4 (WardySI)

Another excellent song from Inside Out.  Love the main riff and the chorus in particular.  I ranked this song at #24, just behind Face the Fear and Shelter Me, which means I had five songs from IO in my top 25.

21T A Pleasant Shade of Gray VII (Stare from the Darkness/Let Nothing Bleed into Nothing Reprise) (APSOG – 7)

Highest Ranking: 7 (SoundscapeMN)

One of the more interesting things about running this countdown was seeing where all of the parts of APSOG ranked.  I had VII as my #46 song.  However, I love the piano introduction and the rest of the intro section before the vocals start.  However, the vocal section is just ok – primarily because much of it is a reprise of V.

A few random bits of information before we start the top 20:

-One list included all 11 parts of APSOG, while three lists only included two parts.

-Three lists included nothing from Long Day Good Night.

-As previously mentioned, seven lists included at least one song from every album.

-Six albums are represented by the top 10.

-Seven albums are represented by songs 11-20.

-NINE albums are represented by the top 20, which means….

-Four albums will not be heard from in the top 20.

Offline pg1067

Album rankings through the first 30:

1. A Pleasant Shade of Gray (7 songs, 126 points):  VIII (47T), III (43), IV (40), X/XI (28), V (27), IX (25), VII (21T)

2. Inside Out (7 songs, 123 points):  Face the Fear (49T), Down to the Wire (45T), The Strand (34), Island in the Stream (30), Shelter Me/Circles (29), Outside Looking In (26), Pale Fire (21T)

3. FWX (4 songs, 76 points):  Handful of Doubt (47T), Left Here (37), Another Perfect Day (31), Wish (23)

4. Parallels (3 songs, 35 points):  Don't Follow Me (49T), The Road Goes on Forever (36), We Only Say Goodbye (33)

5. Perfect Symmetry (2 songs, 34 points):  Chasing Time (44), Part of the Machine (24)

6T. Long Day Good Night (2 songs, 19 points):  The Longest Shadow of the Day (45T), The Destination Onward (38)

6T. The Spectre Within (1 song, 19 points):  The Apparition (32)

8. Disconnected (1 song, 16 points):  Something from Nothing (35)

9. Darkness in a Different Light (1 song, 12 points):  Firefly (39)

10. No Exit (1 song, 10 points):  Silent Cries (41)

11. Theories of Flight (1 song, 9 points):  White Flag (42)

12. Awaken the Guardian (1 song, 2 points):  Exodus (49T)

13. Night on Brocken (0 songs)

Offline nick_z

Pale Fire - My rank: #21

In line with aggregate ranking. Yep, another wonderful song from IO. Nothing too complex here, but once again it's the little details that elevate the whole thing. The chorus is great and, at the cost of sounding like a broken record, the interplay between the guitars is a thing of beauty. Especially with the last few repetitions of the chorus, instrumentally it's like a mini-orchestra. Barely missing my top 20, it could have well been part of it.

APSOG VII - My rank: #27

Agreed that the opening piano motif is great. Yes, the chorus is a reprise, but I love what they do with it. Zonder's drumming, in particular, is brilliant (what's new?)

Interesting stats, by the way...I have 5 albums represented in my top 10 and 6 in the top 20 (as well as in the 11-20 songs). Wondering about the 4 albums not represented in the top 20. I think I have a pretty good idea about 2 out of 4 (you might have said as much about one of those, can't recall for sure now), but there's definitely some uncertainty left there.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
35   Pale Fire
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
23   APSOG VII   
22   APSOG V   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

Interesting stats, by the way...I have 5 albums represented in my top 10 and 6 in the top 20 (as well as in the 11-20 songs). Wondering about the 4 albums not represented in the top 20. I think I have a pretty good idea about 2 out of 4 (you might have said as much about one of those, can't recall for sure now), but there's definitely some uncertainty left there.

I don't think I have explicitly said anything about specific albums (although I do recall dropping a pretty obvious hint about one of them).  Hard for me to say since I know, but I feel like 2 of the 4 should be fairly obvious, and there's probably debate as to which of 3-4 other albums are also done.

Another little bit of information:  the next seven songs (16-20 plus two songs tied at 14) come from six different albums, and once those songs are revealed, I'm going to briefly interrupt the main countdown for a mini countdown.

Offline jammindude

I’m on the road right now, so I will do my full write up later. But I find it interesting that you have been referring to Part VII as the reprise.

We might just be splitting hairs here, but I always viewed Part V as the “teaser” and then Part VII as the full actual song realization of that earlier idea.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

More time for some Armored Saint!!!!  :metal

Yeah...about that....

My outbound flight was direct from LAX to Boston, so I had a good long time to listen.  I downloaded the first four albums (along with a bunch of episodes of The Good Place and most of Iliza Schlesinger's Netflix specials).  I listened to all of March of the Saint and about half of Delirious Nomad.

I feel like if I had listened to these albums in '84-'85, I'd have loved them.  However, once I got past the excerpt from Pictures at an Exhibition in the song March of the Saint, it was pretty basic stuff.  The singer was a bit screamy on March, but he seemed to have toned that down on Nomad.  All in all, it reminded me a lot of Dio, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't go back to Dio all that much anymore because it sort of feels like metal for beginners.  I'll work through the rest of the albums at some point.