Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 32647 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2022, 01:37:30 AM »
We Only Say Goodbye #3 and we'll played TAC \m/

First time hearing this album in full was late in the day during a road trip and by the time this track came on we were headed towards a beautiful sun setting and somehow it all still fit and made sense.  Just love this one!

The Apparition #9
Wow!  Essential Fates did not expect to get highest vote for this killer track thought it would easily be further up there for some but there ya go.  Classic Arch era Fates!

Another Perfect Day NR
Like this one but never quite understood the love for it.  NR for me but nice enough song will give this some more spins see if it clicks some more  ;)

Offline Awaken

« Reply #421 on: October 20, 2022, 06:30:41 AM »
We Only Say Goodbye - Love the lyrics, on the same page w TAC on that point.  And I had it right at 33, too.

The Apparition - I had this one at 37 - it was my intro to FW (I believe I saw it was someone else's as well).  I loved everything about this one on first listen and still go back to it often.  One of those songs where I can put it on and remember immediately where I was, who I was with, what we were doing when I first heard it.  Probably should have put it higher based on that alone.

Another Perfect Day - Came in at 49 for me - Barely made the list and didn't make it at all 2 of the 5 times I ran through the ranking.  Depends on the day, I guess, but this is another one where the the lyrics really stuck out to me, love the composition as well.

Online pg1067

« Reply #422 on: October 20, 2022, 07:34:24 AM »

Another Perfect Day - my 36. 15 lists for this song is a good effort. Are we done with FWX now?

Two albums that have had songs revealed are done.  That's all I'll say for now.

That is interesting. I like how you wrote 'two albums that have had songs revealed are done' as I think in total 3 albums may be done. I'm thinking there is a good chance no songs from Night on Brocken make it. My guess for the 2 albums with revealed songs that are done: FWX and DIADL.

If you were an MLB player, you'd have led both leagues in batting average but would not have satisfied Meatloaf's criteria for "not bad."

Moving right along before I get on the road today....

30 Island in the Stream (Inside Out – 4)

Appeared on 11 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 11 (devieira73, sfam2112)

I said before that I was surprised at how well The Strand did in this countdown, and I’m even more surprised about this song.  This song is a big dull dud for me.  I think I might like it a bit better if it ended at the 4:54 mark, where it sounds like it’s about to end.  That long outro really drags for me, and it diminishes the impact of the build up prior to that point.  Needless to say, I didn’t rank this song.

29 Shelter Me/Circles (Inside Out – 5)

Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (Dublagent66)

On the other hand, I LOVE Shelter Me/Circles.  Zonder’s use of unusual percussion in the intro and verses is masterful, and it’s got another one of those great Fates Warning pre-choruses, followed by one of the catchiest choruses in the catalog.  Hard to understand why this song didn’t hit (although I guess the release year and lack of record company support probably explains it).  I assume Circles was the original version of the song – with the interlude that worked its way into Outside Looking In (where it works WAY better).  The changes they made for the album version greatly improved the song – particularly the chorus.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #423 on: October 20, 2022, 08:29:52 AM »
Island in the Stream was #14 for me. One of my favorites from their catalog. It paints such a great picture.

Shelter Me was not ranked...which must have been an error on my part.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #424 on: October 20, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
Island in the Stream (#11) - It has an amazing atmosphere, it really transports you to a beautiful and peaceful place.

Shelter Me (#16) -So catchy! It should be a hit (to the fan base) like Point of View.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #425 on: October 20, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »
Island in the Stream was #12 for me.  I think that song is incredible and Ray's vocals are amazing.

Shelter Me wasn't ranked but I think it was hovering near the top 50.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #426 on: October 20, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
37   The Strand   
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Awaken

« Reply #427 on: October 20, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »
Island in the Stream came in at 15 for me, Shelter Me/Circles at 11.  Just relistened to both and happy with those ranks, though Island came in higher than I expected when I did the final ranking.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #428 on: October 20, 2022, 10:18:14 AM »
I had Island in the Stream at #35 and did not rank Shelter Me/Circles.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #429 on: October 20, 2022, 01:25:12 PM »
Island in the Stream is my 2nd favorite from IO. But it didn’t rank. It made 58 and 52 on the first two list, and 55 on the final. Beautiful song that just barely missed being included.

Shelter Me is ok. But like so much of IO, it feels like a Parallels “B-side”. I had it at 99 on my first list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: October 20, 2022, 02:30:02 PM »

I had Island In The Stream as Not Rated. I love Inside Out, but this song is a slog to get through.

I had Shelter Me at #10. I love this song. Ray is amazing and it has a great solo spot.

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48                                                                              Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42                                                                              Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40                                                                              Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day
38  Face The Fear
36  Another Perfect Day
35  The Apparition
32  Silent Cries
31  Don't Follow Me
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
10  Shelter Me
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #431 on: October 20, 2022, 02:33:52 PM »

Island in the Stream - unranked. Not really my 'cup of tea' when it comes to Fates Warning.

Shelter Me/Circles - number 39. Great chorus carries this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: October 20, 2022, 02:35:20 PM »
Since when is it called Shelter Me/Circles?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #433 on: October 20, 2022, 02:39:33 PM »

Ha! Yeah good question. I was just writing it like that as everyone else is. It is just Shelter Me (to me).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #434 on: October 20, 2022, 02:41:24 PM »

Ha! Yeah good question. I was just writing it like that as everyone else is. It is just Shelter Me (to me).

Pg explained that in the OP
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #435 on: October 20, 2022, 03:12:49 PM »
On the off chance that someone isn't familiar with this.

This is Shelter Me (from Inside Out):  https://youtu.be/kHliWCJWhvw

This is Circles (from the Chasing Time compilation album, which was released almost exactly a year after IO):  https://youtu.be/2c7XD_As4hM

They're different versions of the same song which (as explained in the original post) I counted as a single song for purposes of this countdown.  I've never read anything about this, but Circles appears to be the original version.  It's in a different key, at a slower tempo, and with mostly different lyrics.  There's a also an interlude that eventually found its way into the song Outside Looking In.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #436 on: October 20, 2022, 03:18:35 PM »
Oh my. Circles can go fuck itself. :lol

Is it a demo of Shelter Me? If so I take it back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 20, 2022, 03:25:55 PM »
Yeah, Circles is not in the same league as Shelter.  It's a nice listen, but that's it.

I had Island at 22.  I love the atmosphere of this one and Frank's solo is wonderful.

Shelter Me I had a t 15.  Again, just a wonderful song and a simple but very effective Matheos solo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
I actually like parts of Circles better than Shelter Me, but hey it's all pretty much the same song anyway.

Here's an extended version (demo).  When the song ends...wait for it...

https://youtu.be/X-tA0_MLlLs
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:42:43 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Glasser

« Reply #439 on: October 20, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
Monument fuckers!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: October 20, 2022, 03:58:56 PM »

I'm sure it's coming.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #441 on: October 20, 2022, 05:30:36 PM »
Yes, Inside Out day! And two fantastic songs to boot...

Island in the Stream - My rank: #18

Count me in as a huge fan of this one. 100% agree with Lethean that Ray's vocals here are so, so good. The melody in the verses is pure bliss. I love how the orchestration is very subtle but its presence is felt more and more. Anyway, beautiful ballad, I like pretty much everything about it

Shelter Me - My rank: #13

Almost cracking my top 10, this is another big favorite from Inside Out. Catchy Fates Warning at their best. Beautiful guitars, beautiful melodies, and great drumming. And, since we are discussing this vs. its demo (sorta) version Circles - for me, the chorus really is where it's at. Shelter Me really delivers there.

Online pg1067

Offline WardySI

« Reply #444 on: October 21, 2022, 01:40:33 AM »

WTF is that???  :-[

Aaaaanyway...

Island in the Stream #46
Lovely song albeit wasn't instant and took some time to win me over.  Otherwise everything said above already covers it!

Shelter Me #25
Playing it now am starting wonder if I didn't rate this highly enough.  Incredible song and agree with whoever said it above already this should've been a hit!

Online pg1067

« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2022, 08:07:57 AM »
Burnside Fountain in Worcester, Mass.:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnside_Fountain

Online pg1067

« Reply #446 on: October 21, 2022, 08:09:07 AM »
Yesterday was Inside Out day, so today is APSOG day!

28 A Pleasant Shade of Gray X/XI (Instrumental/Do You Think That I Remember) (APSOG – 4)

Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (SoundscapeMN)

This is my highest ranked track from APSOG at #7.  I’m honestly not sure why X is a separate track since it’s nothing but pulsing electronics and a simple keyboard progression (hence the reason I combined it with XI, which is where all the action is).  I love the main riff, which I look at as 4/4, 4/4, 5/8, with the 5/8 replaced by a bar of 4/4 every fourth time.  It’s a great rhythm that keeps pushing the song along to that final run to that final line of “call, hear your call, hear your call, hear your call!”  What I love even more is that this rhythm comes directly from the acoustic guitar/piano etude in APSOG VIII.  Brilliant composition by Jim.

27 A Pleasant Shade of Gray V (Murdered in Munich/Let Nothing Bleed into Nothing) (APSOG – 5)

Appeared on 13 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 7 (Lethean)

Great first half of APSOG track.  Nice groove.  Some slap bass from Joey and great atmospheric keys from Kevin Moore.  It’s the one track from APSOG that didn’t make my top 50, and I can’t think of any good reason why.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #447 on: October 21, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
APSOG X/XI - My rank: #44

Great atmospherics in the instrumental, reprising the main theme. Then it gets proggy with Part XI, in a very Fates Warning-way. Absolutely LOVE the guitar/keys riff 20 seconds in, with Zonder shifting stuff around. The faster tempo section is great too. I could have (should have?) easily ranked this one higher...I guess it's just a reminder of how good APSOG is as a whole.

APSOG V - My rank: #24

Love Kevin Moore's work here. The drum/bass interplay in the first half of the song is brilliant, as is the chorus. Then things go kinda nuts roughly after the 3-minute mark. Deliciously complex. Talk about a lot happening in a relatively short piece. Love it!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #448 on: October 21, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
37   The Strand   
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
22   APSOG V   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
10   APSOG X/XI   
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   

Offline The Realm

« Reply #449 on: October 21, 2022, 02:40:38 PM »

28 A Pleasant Shade of Gray X/XI (Instrumental/Do You Think That I Remember) (APSOG – 4)

27 A Pleasant Shade of Gray V (Murdered in Munich/Let Nothing Bleed into Nothing) (APSOG – 5)

APSOG X/XI - unranked. This is great as the whole album is and could have appeared anywhere in my list but to get everything else in I had to regrettably leave out something....

APSOG V - number 12. Love the power and rhythm of this track. Some great keyboard work, featuring that cool simple motif about half way through. The drumming on the second half of the track is fantastic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »

This is my highest ranked track from APSOG at #7.  I’m honestly not sure why X is a separate track since it’s nothing but pulsing electronics and a simple keyboard progression (hence the reason I combined it with XI, which is where all the action is).  I love the main riff, which I look at as 4/4, 4/4, 5/8, with the 5/8 replaced by a bar of 4/4 every fourth time.  It’s a great rhythm that keeps pushing the song along to that final run to that final line of “call, hear your call, hear your call, hear your call!”  What I love even more is that this rhythm comes directly from the acoustic guitar/piano etude in APSOG VIII.  Brilliant composition by Jim.

I had APSOG XI (Do You Think That I) at #22. This is such a great and long awaited climax to this overblown album.

I had APSOG V (Murder In Munich as Not Ranked. Didn't rank it.

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48                                                                              Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42                                                                              Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40                                                                              Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear
36  Another Perfect Day
35  The Apparition
32  Silent Cries
31  Don't Follow Me
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
10  Shelter Me
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
I have APSOG X/XI at #12. A definite highlight of the album.

I didn’t rank APSOG V.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #452 on: October 21, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »
NR either sorry folks.

Listening back now and on any other day XI could've made my 50 probably should've on this occassion to be fair great song!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 21, 2022, 07:14:08 PM »
Neither ranked for me too.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #454 on: October 21, 2022, 11:47:52 PM »
APSOG X/XI at 17, and V at #7.  I think both tracks are absolutely incredible.