Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 32755 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #10 Revealed
« Reply #665 on: November 02, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
Love the Arch era logo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #666 on: November 03, 2022, 12:57:23 AM »
Love the Arch era logo.

Its their best logo hands down. After No Exit they ditched it unfortunately. I wasn't a fan of the original NoB logo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: November 03, 2022, 04:12:37 AM »
Love the Arch era logo.

It's strange how Arch era like the cover is.  Surely fake?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #668 on: November 03, 2022, 09:47:38 AM »
Is that cover art legit?  I've never seen it before either.

Not sure how reliable this site is, but it seems that a 2-CD compilation album was released in Japan in 2018:  https://www.metal-tracker.com/torrents/230109.html
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #669 on: November 03, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »

9 Nothing Left to Say (Perfect Symmetry – 5)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 1 (sfam2112)

Today we bid adieu to Perfect Symmetry.  When I showed up at my first FW show, Part of the Machine was my clear favorite, so I was a little surprised that Nothing Left to Say was the fan favorite right out of the box.  It's a killer song, starting with an ominous riff based around a tritone with strong guitar solos, followed by a pensive instrumental section before the vocals kick in and the song builds from there.  By the time Ray screams, "there's a child screaming with nothing left to say," the band has taken us through an emotional wringer.  It ranked as my #21 song.

Host's privilege:  It was, perhaps, the biggest disappointment of this countdown seeing Static Acts not make the top 50.  Static Acts was my #2 song on PS and my #10 song overall.  It came close, finishing at #54.  However, it only made 8 lists.  Props to Zoom E for having it at #2.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #670 on: November 03, 2022, 10:30:25 AM »
9. Nothing Left to Say (6).  Such a great song, and really fun to play on drums.  The band is really firing on all cylinders here.  The fact that it didn't make all 19 lists is a bit of a surprise.  To me, this is a fantastic closer for what is a fantastic album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

I had Nothing Left to Say at #47.  This is one of the first Fates Warning songs that I heard.  I can't say it's the best song to use to introduce someone to FW.  I thought it was a beautiful song but had to hear some more stuff to really dig in.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #672 on: November 03, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
9. Nothing Left to Say (6).  Such a great song, and really fun to play on drums.  The band is really firing on all cylinders here.  The fact that it didn't make all 19 lists is a bit of a surprise.  To me, this is a fantastic closer for what is a fantastic album.

It was on the first 9 lists I received and then missing on 3 straight lists (and 4 of 5).

Interestingly, though, none of the guesses about the three songs on every list mentioned NLTS.  FWIW, if I were on the other side of this, I'm almost positive I would not have correctly predicted the three songs on every list.

I'm now wondering if everyone feels confident about what the remaining 8 songs are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #673 on: November 03, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »

I had Nothing Left To Say at #2!!! Geez, I thought I'd be the high ranker on it.

What a great song and Ray crushes the epic climax.

50  Prelude To Ruin                                                                            NR
49  Damnation                                                                             Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47  Through Different Eyes                                           APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me                                                     From The Rooftops
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
21  One
20  Pirates Of The Underground
19  The Ghosts Of Home
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye
2  Nothing Left To Say

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #674 on: November 03, 2022, 01:04:33 PM »

It was on the first 9 lists I received and then missing on 3 straight lists (and 4 of 5).

Interestingly, though, none of the guesses about the three songs on every list mentioned NLTS.  FWIW, if I were on the other side of this, I'm almost positive I would not have correctly predicted the three songs on every list.

I'm now wondering if everyone feels confident about what the remaining 8 songs are.

I think I am.  It largely depends on the order.  But, I'd be shocked, SHOCKED!, if my number one and number two aren't in there.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have no idea.

Offline pg1067

Fun fact:  2 of the 19 lists had two songs in the top 10 that didn't make the countdown; 7 other lists had one top 10 song that didn't make it.

Offline jammindude

I’m 99% positive about 1&2…the rest I’m not sure about.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

Fun fact:  2 of the 19 lists had two songs in the top 10 that didn't make the countdown; 7 other lists had one top 10 song that didn't make it.

I’m one of the 7 for sure. I had Prelude to Ruin at #9 and I’m still reeling from the fact that it didn’t make the cut. Of my remaining 9, 5 are already in and the other 4 would be even bigger shocks if they weren’t coming.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2022, 03:03:03 PM »

Nothing Left To Say - another top 10 song revealed and another one I didn't rank. This song was never in the running to be in my top 50, and while it is a good song I am just not a big fan of this album overall.

As far as what songs are left, I have no idea. I have 5 of my own top 10 still to be revealed, the other 5 revealed all made it so it looks like 3 of my remaining top 10 will make it at least. Phew!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea.

This.  Haven't put much thought into it but could guess a few of them I suppose.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had NLTS at 36.  I don't know, it's a great song but I guess I never really understood the high amount of praise it gets. 

Offline Zoom E

Nothing Left to Say is one of only two songs from Perfect Symmetry that didn't make my top 50.

Online nick_z

Nothing Left To Say - My rank: #6

I absolutely love the initial riff. I remember the (only!) time I saw FW live in 1995 as support for Dream Theater, they opened their show with that riff (they didn't play the song, unfortunately). It sounded positively ferocious. A lot happening in a (relatively) short time, it's practically a three/four part suite. Fantastic song and, um, perfect closer for Perfect Symmetry.

Speaking of which...

Today we bid adieu to Perfect Symmetry.

Ha! And...

It was, perhaps, the biggest disappointment of this countdown seeing Static Acts not make the top 50.

Oh no  :-[

I had it at #15, and I could've ranked higher, really. Sad (and very surprised) not to see it in the top 50. Such a killer song.

Online nick_z

Well, there are 8 songs left, and I have 7 in my top 10 that haven't been revealed. I think, let's see, 5 of those are almost surely going to make it, and 2 are very possibly going to make it, but not so sure. Now that we know Static Acts didn't make it, there's one remaining song in my 20-11 that hasn't been revealed yet and might be one of the remaining eight. Very curious to see...

Offline Glasser

Well, there are 8 songs left, and I have 7 in my top 10 that haven't been revealed. I think, let's see, 5 of those are almost surely going to make it, and 2 are very possibly going to make it, but not so sure. Now that we know Static Acts didn't make it, there's one remaining song in my 20-11 that hasn't been revealed yet and might be one of the remaining eight. Very curious to see...

Really? Just, wow.

Offline Glasser

I revisited newer FW. I just can't get into anything after Disconnected. I do like Another Perfect Day from FWX but that's it. It bums me out honestly.

Offline jammindude

I revisited newer FW. I just can't get into anything after Disconnected. I do like Another Perfect Day from FWX but that's it. It bums me out honestly.

I always thought FWX was very uneven. DIADL was a home run for me initially…but didn’t age very well. TOF on the other hand… :jawdrop:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Need to play a bit of catch up again.

Valley of the Dolls - Had this at #23. Love that opening riff! Then the vocal melodies and phrasing is spot on for me  :metal

Damnation - Had this at #72. It's a decent song with some really cool sections and a lot of good ideas. It just never feels like those ideas were molded together well enough.

Giant's Lore (Heart of Winter) - I was surprised this didn't make the top 50. I had it at #12. Just a giant of a song (see what I did there? :neverusethis:). Love the the way the drums weave throughout the song and the almost doomy nature of the song. Then there's the masterful guitar solo in the middle that perfectly bridges the two halves of the song.

Prelude to Ruin - I had this at #31 and I probably could have rated it higher, but the goofy spoken word part always brings me out of the song. The rest of it is top notch Arch era goodness.

Traveler in Time - This was my #26. Again, I'm a little surprised it didn't make the top 50. This was a pretty big statement by the band, the first song after NoB and what an improvement!

Epitaph - Yes, Exodus is better, but this is still a masterpiece. I had it at #14. This shifts through so many moods and awesome melodies and riffs throughout its 11 minutes. Just a tour de force.

Through Different Eyes - My #17 song and another of what I call "Classic Fates Warning" songs. How could you not like this song. Great driving drums, fantastic melodies, and Ray doing what Ray does best. That opening guitar line is iconic in my opinion too.

One - This was at #41 on my list. Great driving riffs here and some cool vocal harmonizations. Nothing amazing though.

From the Rooftops - Just barely missed my top 50, coming in at #52. It's a good song, nothing more. ToF is an album that is better than the sum of its parts.

The Ghosts of Home - Just barely made my top 50 at #50. Not quite the best song on ToF, but close. The intro takes too long before the song really starts going and it isn't even a satisfying buildup. They seemed to have lost that ability after FWX. The rest of the song is pretty great though. Sidenote: the part starting at about 2:15 sounds a little bit like In the Presence of Enemies.....maybe it's just me...

Nothing Left to Say - Man I thought for sure I'd be the highest ranker on this song. I had it at #7. Just an amazing Prog classic and epic album closer. For the most part Fates Warning sure knows how to write an album closer  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Not even Theories of Flight?

Offline Glasser

It didn't stick with me. I'm still spinning a few just to see if anything clicks.

Offline WardySI

NR for me either good song but playing it now while reading comments and Chasing Time follows and is a way better song IMO...

I am confident all my Top10 will have featured in the countdown only about 4 so far that haven't (holds breath)...

Theories would be my first suggestion too.  So far as this Countdown has gone have been drawn back into discovering some Arch and APSOG but while preparing for the Countdown, as much a fan as I already was if their last album LDGN was I was surprised at just 'how' good it was. 

An incredibly strong album   :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Nothing Left to Say was #32 for me. I love it, but perhaps I haven't given it enough love. I'll have to revisit.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

I always thought FWX was very uneven. DIADL was a home run for me initially…but didn’t age very well. TOF on the other hand… :jawdrop:

Glasser, I totally get your feelings about FWX.  I feel almost the same about Disconnected.  Glad to hear that you're not giving up on Darkness and Theories.  Darkness clicked with me right away.  I feel it underperformed in the countdown, but I ranked five of its songs in my personal top 50.  Theories took quite a while to click with me, but it had six songs in my top 50.

Offline pg1067

"If you skate, you would be great if you could make a figure eight."

8 Leave the Past Behind (Parallels – 5)

Appeared on 16 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (devieira73)

I’m really surprised this song made the top 10.  I had it at #31 on my countdown, so I think it’s a really good song, but it’s only my #4 song from Parallels.  Coming off Perfect Symmetry, I wondered what Fates would do to follow up.  I LOVE the way this song starts (with the line being reprised in The Road Goes on Forever).  The song starts with an alternating 5-6 pattern, which invoked fond memories of the adroit time signature usage on the prior album.  It certainly more accessible than most songs from Symmetry, though.  Solid chorus (although I’m not a fan of the bass line in the chorus).  Solid guitar solos, with the second one (Frank’s, I think) being particularly strong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I had Leave the Past Behind at #10.

Really great opening track and a good anthem. To me, Parallels will always be the band's crowing achievement. Taking their complex sound, making it more accessible, but not losing any of their integrity or dumbing down their sound. It's very akin to Queensr˙che's Empire in that way.

Anyway, great song and one of my favorites from the band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
8 Leave the Past Behind (Parallels – 5)

Appeared on 16 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (devieira73)

I had Leave The Past Behind at #45. It is the 6th of 6 songs from parallels I ranked. I can't believe it's this high, honestly.

50  Prelude To Ruin                                          NR
49  Damnation                                                            Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47  Through Different Eyes                                           APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45  Leave The Past Behind                                            APSOG IV
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me                                                     From The Rooftops
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
21  One
20  Pirates Of The Underground
19  The Ghosts Of Home
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye
2  Nothing Left To Say

Offline Lethean

I didn't have this one ranked.  Nice song, just not one of my favorties from Fates.

Offline HOF

Leave the Past Behind really is a great album opener.

Online nick_z

Leave the Past Behind - My rank: #4

Gosh, I love this song. Thought I might be the highest ranker on this one, but guess not...devieira beat me to it  :)

Sets the tone for the album so well...first tip-toeing its way in with the soft beginning and then going all-in, showing everyone's amazing playing and songwriting skills. I mean, those guitars (including the bass!)...and the drumming! What more can be said? The verses are super-lush and the pre-chorus is one of my absolute favorite FW moments. As is the outro to the song. The clean arpeggiated guitars and the bass lines have a bit of a Marillion vibe to them...thinking Seasons End or whereabouts. Just masterful.