Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 32875 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Top 10 Starts Tomorrow!
« Reply #630 on: November 01, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised APSOG is rated so highly amongst the masses.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: November 01, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
Yeah, me too. I did vote for 4 songs though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: November 01, 2022, 06:27:19 PM »
Yeah, me too. I did vote for 4 songs though.

Only 2 for me.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2022, 05:07:28 AM »
Had 2 also but since digging back through APSOG based on votes and comments during this countdown I'd happily vote at least another song in (VII) if we were to do the countdown again and tbh there'd be chance of a fourth too 😉

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »

It's their best album my friend.  :tup :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: November 02, 2022, 08:26:46 AM »

That is apparently the consensus. Personally, I can't get on board with it though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #636 on: November 02, 2022, 08:26:53 AM »
APSOG sitting so high isn't surprising. This is a Dream Theater - prog - message board. Many of the more straight ahead prog fans think that is FW's finest work. So to see some of the songs be consistent among us all isn't a shock. It will drop down after this top-10 though. Parallels will rise with Life in Still Water and Point of View being high.

The surprising thing for me is Inside Out. You KNOW Monument is going to appear in the top-10, so the sheer volume of songs from that record has me chuckling. I didn't think folks thought of that record as highly as they apparently do. Which is cool, because it's a good record and often overlooked.

My guess when this is all said and done:

APSOG
Parallels
Inside Out
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: November 02, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »

That is apparently the consensus. Personally, I can't get on board with it though.

Agreed. I think it is the most difficult Fates record to listen to from the Alder era. It grew on me and I know enjoy it. But it has to be a mood thing. I never reach to it to listen to some Fates Warning. I really enjoy it, but it requires active listening. I think the whole melancholy progressive hard rock vein was captured better by Queensryche with Promised Land in 1994 (another one you can't get into, Tim - I am seeing a pattern). PL was much more accessible with better melodies and hooks, despite it being melancholy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #638 on: November 02, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »

I wasn't on board with it at first (much like SDOIT) but it grew on me bigtime.  :eek :hat
I don't listen to it often, but it's definitely a treat when I do and it's most effective if you have an hour to listen beginning to end.  Much like you would with SFAM.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #639 on: November 02, 2022, 08:52:29 AM »

Agreed. I think it is the most difficult Fates record to listen to from the Alder era. It grew on me and I know enjoy it. But it has to be a mood thing. I never reach to it to listen to some Fates Warning. I really enjoy it, but it requires active listening. I think the whole melancholy progressive hard rock vein was captured better by Queensryche with Promised Land in 1994 (another one you can't get into, Tim - I am seeing a pattern). PL was much more accessible with better melodies and hooks, despite it being melancholy.

Good comparison to PL.  I wasn't on board with that album at first either.  Active listening is the key, like you said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: November 02, 2022, 08:55:48 AM »

Promised Land is definitely more accessible than APSOG. I don't find Promised Land melancholic at all. The title track....maybe...
My issue with Promised Land lies with the vast amount of weak songs.

My issue with APSOG is that I ultimately don't like the recurring motif. I don't find it a pleasurable line. Perhaps that's its intention, but to me it's a constant reminder of how much of a struggle it is to get through it. Again, probably its intention.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Almost to the Top 10!
« Reply #641 on: November 02, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
12 One (Disconnected – 2)

Appeared on 18 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 2 (Samsara, The Realm)

Also surprised with this one.  I had it at #47, and it’s another from Disconnected that I connected with after hearing it done live.  It's a solid, concise song.

I recently became a fan of Fates Warning, because of this song.

I was listening to some "older" prog bands like QR to try to get what all the fuss was about (spoiler: I just don´t get QR), and then spotify started playing the suggestions and this song came on. The moment the chorus came in I was sold and immediately grabbed my phone to see what band it was. From then on I went forward and then backwards on their catalog. I love a lot of the band but it was just to recent of a favorite to be able to send my top 50.

Im glad to see a simple straight forward rock song made it all the way to almost the top ten. This speaks volumes of the quality of the song, and specially that chorus.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #642 on: November 02, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
From the other side of the aisle, I think APSOG ranking as high as it did in the album rankings (which aren't done) is a function of splitting it up.  My GUESS is that, if we had counted it as a single song, it would have ended up in the top 5.  However, that would've resulted in the album finishing in the bottom third because it's only one song.  Also, one voter ranked the 11 parts of APSOG as his number 1-11 songs - probably because, had we counted it as one song, it would've been his #1 song.  That voter was the only one to rank all 11 parts.  Two voters ranked all but one part, and (without doing the math), I'd say that the average was 6 parts.

Anyway...
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: November 02, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
If it was one song, it would not have made my list.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #644 on: November 02, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
Onto the top 10!

10 The Ghosts of Home (Theories of Flight – 4)

Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 3 (sfam2112)

Obviously, this song just missed appearing on every list, and it wasn't until the last third of the rankings submitted that I got a list without it.  I have to be honest that I was a bit surprised that, not only did this song rank on almost every list, it was in the top half on most of them.  I ranked it at #34 myself (and 5th of the 6 TOF songs on my rankings).  The first minute is a bit much, but once the actual song kicks in, it's really strong.  That first heavy riff after the intro is absolutely killer, and the interplay of the two guitars is really clever.  And I don't think I've mentioned how much I enjoy Joey's bass tone (and he changes tone from song to song, all to great effect).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Awaken

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #10 Revealed
« Reply #645 on: November 02, 2022, 10:41:57 AM »
Onto the top 10!

Obviously, this song just missed appearing on every list, and it wasn't until the last third of the rankings submitted that I got a list without it.  I have to be honest that I was a bit surprised that, not only did this song rank on almost every list, it was in the top half on most of them.  I ranked it at #34 myself (and 5th of the 6 TOF songs on my rankings).  The first minute is a bit much, but once the actual song kicks in, it's really strong.  That first heavy riff after the intro is absolutely killer, and the interplay of the two guitars is really clever.  And I don't think I've mentioned how much I enjoy Joey's bass tone (and he changes tone from song to song, all to great effect).

My #5 - loved this one from the first spin, and it's not even my favorite from ToF.  Strong 'Them' vibes from that cover - I'd never seen it before, but now I kinda want to spin some old King Diamond

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #646 on: November 02, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50   One                                              Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
38                                                       Guardian
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
35   Pale Fire
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
28   The Ghosts of Home   
27   Through Different Eyes   
26   APSOG III   
24   APSOG VI   
23   APSOG VII   
22   APSOG V   
20   And Yet It Moves   
18   From the Rooftops   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
16   Seven Stars   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
  4   Eye to Eye   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #647 on: November 02, 2022, 11:22:34 AM »
Strong 'Them' vibes from that cover - I'd never seen it before, but now I kinda want to spin some old King Diamond

I'd never seen it either.  I was looking for something to post and that came up.  Quite the literal interpretation of the song title!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #648 on: November 02, 2022, 11:25:18 AM »
10. The Ghosts of Home (10).  Nailed it in my ranking.  This is a fantastic song.  Again, Bobby Jarzombek's drumming is outstanding, as it is throughout Theories of Flight, but he really propels this song along. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: November 02, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
I had The Ghosts of Home at #41 and it easily could have been in the top-25 for me. I understand the song completely, and lived my childhood exactly how the song described. I probably didn't rank it as high as I could have, because I have to honestly be in a bit of a mood to really want to listen to the song. When I have the record on, I tend to start thinking about old times when that song kicks in. It's awesome, don't get me wrong, but it ends up being distracting for me personally, because I can identify with Jim 100 percent.

Great work, forum, putting it this high.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #650 on: November 02, 2022, 11:46:25 AM »

I had The Ghosts Of Home at #19. Definitely an awesome tune and I had it in my Top 20.

This was one of the three songs I PM'd to Paul as being on every list. I assume I got 2 out of 3.

Whoever left it off needs to own up to it! ;D

50  Prelude To Ruin                                                                            NR
49  Damnation                                                                             Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47  Through Different Eyes                                           APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me                                                     From The Rooftops
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
21  One
20  Pirates Of The Underground
19  The Ghosts Of Home
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

Offline Lethean

« Reply #651 on: November 02, 2022, 12:15:58 PM »
#16 for me.  Great song.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #652 on: November 02, 2022, 12:22:27 PM »
pg described this great song perfectly. That first minute kind of reminds me of Sacrificed Sons. #21 for me.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #653 on: November 02, 2022, 12:42:13 PM »
I had Ghosts at #27.  Mostly because it is greatly overshadowed by the other epic on the album.

Re: APSOG. I think it might be one of the greatest progressive metal songs in history. But you certainly have to be a patient listener. This is not an “instant gratification” album. This album is like slooooooooooooooow sex.

Re: the top 3. I sent in my guess and I didn’t hear back…so I’m wondering if that means I nailed it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #654 on: November 02, 2022, 12:43:59 PM »
I sent in my guess and I didn’t hear back…so I’m wondering if that means I nailed it.

None of us heard back, but Paul posted the other day that nobody got it right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #655 on: November 02, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
I sent in my guess and I didn’t hear back…so I’m wondering if that means I nailed it.

None of us heard back, but Paul posted the other day that nobody got it right.

I remember that I sent in my guess after he had already said that, but it’s good to know that he’s maintaining radio silence across the board.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #656 on: November 02, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
It's still a swing and a miss on anyone getting 3 for 3.  Three people got 2 songs correct.  Three people got 1 song correct.  One person got 0.

Interestingly, one song showed up on every list but was only mentioned in two of the 7 guesses I received.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #657 on: November 02, 2022, 01:06:53 PM »
I had an alternate for my third, but I’m not sure it would have made a difference.

I feel fairly confident that I know what two of them are, but the third could be almost anything.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #658 on: November 02, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
I ranked The Ghosts of Home at #29. I couldn’t remember if I’d ranked it, so I was glad when I checked my list and saw it was there, as I didn't want to be the outlier again.  :biggrin:

Offline The Realm

« Reply #659 on: November 02, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »

The Ghosts of Home - unranked by me, so I guess I am the person who didn't rank it. Kind of a bit surprised everyone else did, sure it is a great song but to me there are lots of better ones that seem to be only making 10/12 lists. I love the Theories of Flight album, I did rank 6 songs from the album, including 2 in my top 10 all of which I obviously like more than The Ghosts of Home. I could have also ranked it but it fell off in the end. I'd like to think that me not ranking The Ghosts of Home is way less controversial than one person not ranking Eyes of a Stranger in the Queensryche countdown.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #660 on: November 02, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »
I'd like to think that me not ranking The Ghosts of Home is way less controversial than one person not ranking Eyes of a Stranger in the Queensryche countdown.

It is but it doesn't make it right. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: November 02, 2022, 04:02:51 PM »
Number 7 for me.  That heavy AF riff around the 4 minute mark is one of the bands coolest moments.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #662 on: November 02, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
The Ghosts of Home - My rank: #14

My second-highest ranked song from ToF, I obviously love it. The song kinda feels like a great combination of mid-career and more "modern" Fates Warning. The verse sounds so cool, with the fast tempo and the clean guitars driving it. The section starting around 7:30 is melancholic Fates Warning at their best, and one of my top moments in the album overall.

Incidentally (not sure if this was mentioned here, already), the album was originally going to be called "The Ghosts of Home"...maybe that cover art pg found is related to that...?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #663 on: November 02, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
That is indeed fantastic cover art!

The Ghosts Of Home #47
It was never in doubt but yes that's way too low not quite sure how that happened will blame the ranker but regardless this is essential modern Fates.  I did have a couple higher votes for Theories (clearly with Seven Stars making my #2) so there's another to still come am sure ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: November 02, 2022, 06:49:56 PM »
Is that cover art legit?  I've never seen it before either.