Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 33049 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Reveal Starts on 10/10!
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2022, 08:20:30 PM »
I'll say it again. That is mindboggling.

Yes mindboggling but I think 3 is the most we have ever had? I can't remember more than 2 previously in the other countdowns.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2022, 08:21:34 PM »
I'll say it again. That is mindboggling.
Agreed.  I would have thought that One would be guaranteed to make everyone's list, but I imagine the 3 are from Perfect Symmetry and Parallels... maybe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2022, 08:27:33 PM »
We should all PM pg with our guess on the three songs.  Winner gets DTF boasting glory.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2022, 08:54:20 PM »
Pretty tough to get all 3 I'd say.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2022, 12:27:44 AM »
We should all PM pg with our guess on the three songs.  Winner gets DTF boasting glory.

Feel free.  Valuable internet points will be awarded if anyone gets them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2022, 12:28:53 AM »

Feel free.  Valuable internet points will be awarded if anyone gets them.

Hmm......internet points.  That is nice indeed.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2022, 05:20:36 AM »
I'll go ahead and just say this about my list; the top two picks were far and away the easiest parts of the list to make. On a related note, only one Alder era song on my list is ranked higher than Guardian. :metal

That said, almost all the rest of my Top 20 is Alder-era material. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2022, 07:49:45 AM »

We start off with……

A three-way tie for 49th place (which means this will actually be a top 51 countdown)!

49T Face the Fear (Inside Out – 1)

Appeared on 9 of 19  entries
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (devieira73)

I really love this song.  I had it at #22 and hoped that it would fair a little better than it did.  I love the odd feel of the verse rhythm.  Two people had it in their top 10, but only making 9 lists doomed it to the bottom of the countdown.

49T Don’t Follow Me (Parallels – 1)

Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 15 (Dubleagent66)

The numbers game here is interesting.  It made the same number of lists as Face the Fear, and it’s highest finish was much lower, but it performed much more consistently, with only a couple finishes in the low 30s.  As for me, this is one of my favorites on Parallels.  Great driving rhythm and guitar harmonies.

49T Exodus (Awaken the Guardian – 1)

Appeared on 10 of 19  entries
Highest Ranking: 3 (Puppies_on_Acid)

The first of the Arch era songs.  This song reminds me a lot of Roads to Madness by Queensryche.  A lot of shifting time signatures that demonstrated what Fates was capable of.  We also got John Arch not trying to cram too many words into too little space.  For those who aren’t fans of his vocal style, definitely check this one out.  I had it at #26 and thought it would do better, but three of the ten rankings it got were very low, despite two top 10 finishes.

P.S.  The gap between these three songs and song #52 was only four points.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 08:17:17 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2022, 08:15:05 AM »
Face the Fear (35)
Ray is really strong in verses, the ending is epic. My only problem is kinda soft chorus when compared to the rest of the song.

Don't follow me (20)
Definition of a grower for me. Contrary to the previous entry, chorus is the high point. Also, atmosphere and guitarwork is just tasty here.

Exodus
Just barely missed my top 50, I like it but not enough.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2022, 09:08:02 AM »
None of these ranked for me.

Exodus came the closest. The final list had it at 53. The previous two lists had it at 55 and 57.  I just remember it being the only disappointment (to me) from the Guardian album. Epitaph was such an amazing closer to TSW and I was hoping for something as good or better to close Guardian and I didn’t get it.

Don’t Follow Me is ok. It came in at 75 on my first list, so I didn’t include it on my next two.

I’m shocked that Face the Fear is here. Just a completely uninteresting meh-fest. I looked everywhere on my first list for it and I couldn’t find it anywhere. I’m wondering if I just deleted it from the running completely as the song never would’ve cracked my top 100 much less 50.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2022, 09:29:21 AM »
One thing I love about Face the Fear is the spinner in the chorus. Such an unusual percussive effect in a song like this, but it works.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2022, 09:48:55 AM »
Face the Fear was at 31 for me.

I didn’t rank Don’t follow Me, but it could easily have slipped into the 40-50 range of my list.

I had Exodus at 47. All the Arch tunes I ranked were low on my list. I found it tough rating them against the Alder songs.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #257 on: October 10, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »

I really love this song.  I had it at #22 and hoped that it would fair a little better than it did.  I love the odd feel of the verse rhythm.  Two people had it in their top 10, but only making 9 lists doomed it to the bottom of the countdown.

The numbers game here is interesting.  It made the same number of lists as Face the Fear, and it’s highest finish was much lower, but it performed much more consistently, with only a couple finishes in the low 30s.  As for me, this is one of my favorites on Parallels.  Great driving rhythm and guitar harmonies.

The first of the Arch era songs.  This song reminds me a lot of Roads to Madness by Queensryche.  A lot of shifting time signatures that demonstrated what Fates was capable of.  We also got John Arch not trying to cram too many words into too little space.  For those who aren’t fans of his vocal style, definitely check this one out.  I had it at #26 and thought it would do better, but three of the ten rankings it got were very low, despite two top 10 finishes.
Face the Fear - Count me surprised this made the list. Although it did just miss mine at #59. It's a decent song, but one of the less memorable from Inside Out. I'm with HOF and the spinner effect though :biggrin:

Don't Follow Me - This landed at #38 for me. Can't say I'm surprised this was so low on the list, but I'm glad it's there. Great chorus!

Exodus - This is one I thought for sure would make the top 25. You guys failed me. I'm at the opposite end from jammindude. I think this song took everything that was great about Epitaph and slightly condensed it and made it better. Mostly in the sense of an epic album closer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
Face the Fear was number 49 for me, and the others didn't make the list.  I think Face the Fear is a really nice track.  I really like the vocal melodies and Ray's delivery.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2022, 11:01:20 AM »
Face the Fear - Not ranked
Don't Follow Me - #15
Exodus - Not ranked
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #260 on: October 10, 2022, 12:21:01 PM »

Well, I guess I MUST say something here... ;)

Inside Out is my favorite FW album. I just wish it had the same production values of Parallels and it seems I hear it as much more proggier thant most of us here. To me, Face the Fear is one of its finest moments: all the drumming (specially in the lighter chorus), the syncopated melodies on the verses and on the gorgeous pre-chorus, amazing solos and the excellent Inward Bound, that really serves as its outro.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
50. Face the Fear (NR).  Didn't make my list.  Not a bad song, but just kinda there.

49. Don't Follow Me (38).  A favorite of mine from Parallels.  Very Rush inspired.  Likely wouldn't have sounded out of place on Hold Your Fire.

48. Exodus (NR).  Just missed my cut off.  Solid closer to the best Arch-era album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:11 PM »
Exodus - This is one I thought for sure would make the top 25. You guys failed me. I'm at the opposite end from jammindude. I think this song took everything that was great about Epitaph and slightly condensed it and made it better. Mostly in the sense of an epic album closer.

Yeah...I agree.  Exodus was an improvement on the existing model, although I like both songs quite a bit.

One thing I love about Face the Fear is the spinner in the chorus. Such an unusual percussive effect in a song like this, but it works.

Hmmm...never heard a vibra slap referred to in that way, but it's an apt term.  Of course, it's more famously known for its appearance in the intro to Crazy Train.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »
If they make another album I hope they use the vibraslap again and use a mouth harp :corn

I believe the vibraslap was also used in Devin Townsend's The Death of Music.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »

First off, thanks for starting this off with a real woman, and not like the Mousekateer that the other guy puts in his countdowns.

I had Face The Fear at #38.
Not nearly my fave from Inside Out, but it's a great side 2 track. Love Mak Zonder here. His parts have an UAGM style too it. Nice tune.

I had Don't Follow Me at #31.
This song has a great pace and feel. Parallels is kind of a heavy album to me (lyricwise, not musically) but I find the music of Don't Follow Me quite uplifting, even if not lyrically if that makes any sense.

I had Exodus at #17.
First off....this is way too low.
@Paul, yeah I feel you on the Roads To Madness comp. Especially how it opens. Great song!!

38  Face The Fear
31  Don't Follow Me
17  Exodus
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:16:24 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2022, 02:12:56 PM »

Hmmm...never heard a vibra slap referred to in that way, but it's an apt term.  Of course, it's more famously known for its appearance in the intro to Crazy Train.

Didn’t know what to call it or how to look it up, really! It sounded like something spinning to me, and I was probably thinking of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYJh5KinOA

Cool to know what that sound actually is though!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2022, 02:46:54 PM »

Face The Fear - this didn't rank for me. I do like this song, so not that surprised to see it make it but was never really in the running for my top 50. There is some great drumming on the track and some interesting musical ideas.

Don't Follow Me - Also unranked by me. I have a feeling this is the first song of many from Parallels that we will be seeing in the countdown.

Exodus - now we are talking! Ranked 32 for me. Not sure how much love the John Arch era will get in the countdown but great to see this one make it. I get the comparison to Roads of Madness, the beginning is very similar but then this track winds it way into one great part after another.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »

First off, thanks for starting this off with a real woman, and not like the Mousekateer that the other guy puts in his countdowns.

Oh yeah, I support this.  Shania is damn sexy and indeed the definition of a real woman.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: October 10, 2022, 02:55:27 PM »
FTF - Had this at 29.  This was a late grower and not as immediate as a lot of the other songs on FTF.  It's placed well in the album and I really like the pre chorus especially.

DFM - 23 - Always a highlight on Parallels and again placed nicely later in the album.  Great Frank solo here and nice Maidenish harmonies.

E - 49 - Very nice track, a highlight from the Arch era.

Online nick_z

« Reply #269 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:42 PM »
Face the Fear - My ranking: #7

I guess I'm the other one that has it in the top 10  :biggrin: What can I say, I love everything about it. I mean, like devieira, I consider Inside Out a top, top FW album (#2 for me), and Face the Fear is surely one of the reasons why. Absolutely yes to the UAGM feel of Zonder's parts. And those guitars in the verses are so good: the clean/distorted interplay is one of my favorite aspects of that FW era. I think the chorus is fantastic and, again, the way Zonder pushes it is just perfect.

Don't Follow Me - My ranking: #25

Very late-80s Maiden guitar harmonies to open the song. That my #25 song is not even among my very favorites on Parallels should be telling of my feelings on this album.  Anyway - very cool-sounding verse, great chorus and slightly more straightforward drumming, perhaps, but still full of delicious and subtle flourishes. Excellent tune.

Exodus - My ranking: #50

Just squeaked in  ;) Despite the length, I find this to be an easily digestible Archer-era track (relatively speaking  ;)) Very epic riffage, lots of dynamics and beautiful melodies.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2022, 02:33:34 AM »

It took me half the day to get past this  :P

Okay...

Face The Fear #22.
Parallels and Inside Out being my top2 Fates this kinda song is just a no-brainer.  Always loved this one but it wasn't until their Live In Athens did I really sit up and say whoah!   Never misses my Fates playlists and now inspired to watch that show again during the week :metal

Don't Follow Me #33
Parallels and what can I say?  Much like Face The Fear this is just staple Fates through and through a beautiful song actually expected it to get a better result tbh but thankful it made an appearance. ;)

Exodus #38
Ya know listening back through the catalog for this countdown and I reckon this is one of the most underrated Fates songs period and damn pleased it made the list!

Thanks again for doing this one pg1067 these are so enjoyable just love reading other peoples results and opinions cheers!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:40:36 AM by WardySI »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2022, 04:21:34 AM »

It took me half the day to get past this  :P

Impressive, only took me a few minutes.

Offline WardySI

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2022, 04:57:52 AM »
That don't impress me much.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »
That don't impress me much.

One of the worst songs I’ve ever heard, did not make my list.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »

For day 2, we get……

Another tie!  These two songs finished a mere three points ahead of the three songs that tied for 49th place.

47T Handful of Doubt (FWX – 1)

Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 7 (Samsara)

FWX is my least favorite Fates album, and I didn’t even include this song in my pool of songs to rank.  I listened to it for purposes of this blurb.  The first half did nothing for me.  The heavier part would be a great ending for something, but it didn’t really save the song for me.

47T A Pleasant Shade of Gray VIII (APSOG – 1)

Appeared on 7 of 19  entries
Highest Ranking: 4 (Zoom E)

I LOVE this instrumental, but I only had it at #33.  I wasn’t sure it was going to make the list, but it was boosted by the two top 10 finishes and three other top 20 finishes.  It’s a brilliantly crafted transitional piece/etude with an incredible acoustic guitar/piano duet between Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore – a pattern that shows up later in the album.

Online nick_z

« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2022, 08:27:48 AM »
Handful of Doubt - Not Ranked

This one wasn't too too far from entering my top 50. It's a good moody piece from FWX. I agree it builds up quite effectively, but ultimately it didn't make the cut.

APSOG Part VIII - Not Ranked

It is indeed a beautiful instrumental interlude. It works perfectly within the album, and could've made my list. In the end, as a stand-alone piece, it didn't. If anything, it shows (imo) how great APSOG really is when considered as a whole.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2022, 08:39:10 AM »
47T. Handful of Doubt (18). One of my favorites from FWX.  I love how moody and dynamic this song is.  Ray does a great job on the vocals.

47T. APSOG Part VIII (NR).  Works better in the context of the album, IMHO.  Feels like more of an extension of Part VII than a standalone piece, despite the shift into the piano and acoustic guitar duet.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
A Handful of Doubt is an incredible tune. Moody, emotional, has a good heavy section. When I first picked up FWX, which I think is underrated by many, this immediately stood out to me as one of those under the radar gems in the catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2022, 09:00:06 AM »
A Handful of Doubt is an incredible tune. Moody, emotional, has a good heavy section. When I first picked up FWX, which I think is underrated by many, this immediately stood out to me as one of those under the radar gems in the catalog.

Yeah, FWX is a fantastic album.

"Left Here," "River Wide, Ocean Deep," "Another Perfect Day," & "Heal Me" are all standout tracks. In fact, I'm of the opinion that the 3 'rockers' ("Crawl," "Simple Human," & "Stranger With a Familiar Face") kind of bog the album down. Without those three, the record is an incredibly focused E.P. that stands among their best work (at least IMO)