Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 32768 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - **Lists Due 10/8**
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
Also if Fates Warning does continue to make new music and Bobby Jarzombek ever decides to leave, they are going to need to find another drummer with a Z in their name...

Mike Zortnoy?   :biggrin:

Two more lists received today, and we're down to only five songs mentioned on every list.

Also, I'm going to extend the deadline to submit lists to the end of the day (Pacific time) next Saturday, October 8.  I'll then compile the master list on Sunday and start the reveal on Monday, October 10.

:o

Offline Lethean

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »
I already sent my list, but used the ranker for kicks last night and it came out pretty similar.  I kind of rushed through it though because it was taking longer than I'd expected (with that many songs, I should have expected it).

This exercise has made me re-realize how much I prefer current Ray (though it's been more than 20 years) over really high pitched Ray.  I like high pitched vocals a lot - James, Geoff Tate, etc, but while Ray's were fine, I like it when it takes it down a bit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:36:09 AM by Lethean »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2022, 11:20:25 AM »

This exercise has made me re-realize how much I prefer current Ray (though it's been more than 20 years) over really high pitched Ray.  I like high pitched vocals a lot - James, Geoff Tate, etc, but while Ray's were fine, I like it when it takes it down a bit.

Couldn't agree more. I appreciate that he was going all in on No Exit (and, to some extent, Perfect Symmetry, even though the material was overall quite different), but it was really beneficial to the music when he toned it down a bit. His performances on Parallels, Inside Out and Pleasant are stellar, for my taste.

...and talking about later career resurgence, I think his singing on Theories of Flight is outstanding.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »
I just listened to Parallels today and Ray  :hefdaddy

To me, that is Ray's best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2022, 02:17:01 PM »
Yes, along with some of my favorite guitar work ever - seriously, I have listened to Parallels again a few days ago, and the use of two guitars in that album is close to perfection. Basically a mini-orchestra. Such tasteful interplay, perfect clean and distorted tones...just amazing stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2022, 03:11:49 PM »
The whole sound of the album is beyond incredible.

Frank's Still Water solo is one of the most creative and challenging solos out there IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2022, 03:19:42 PM »
How many lists are we up to?

Only 5 songs? Wow, that's amazing!

Seven lists submitted so far, but I'm expecting more than twice that many.

Also, only 17 songs that haven't appeared on any of the lists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »
Not sure I will be able to contribute to this one. I planned to, but been busy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2022, 03:55:38 PM »
Not sure I will be able to contribute to this one. I planned to, but been busy.

Always busy and thought the same as wanting to relisten and invest properly but at very least a quick use of the ranker is a 10min exercise so I have no excuse  ;D

Hope you can jump on board mate

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2022, 10:29:39 PM »
I think we forgot a song for the master list. Radio Underground. Or is that a cover? I can't even remember anymore and I can't find my Spectre Within liner notes to check. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2022, 08:51:02 AM »
Okay, okay, I got to the office early this morning and did it. Submitted.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2022, 11:09:56 AM »
I think we forgot a song for the master list. Radio Underground. Or is that a cover? I can't even remember anymore and I can't find my Spectre Within liner notes to check. :dunno:

I only became familiar with that song this morning (I didn't buy the 2002 reissue).  It does appear to be an original, but the only version out there is the live recording, right?  If someone wants to include it in a top 50, I'd be happy to add it, but I doubt it'd impact the aggregate top 50.

Okay, okay, I got to the office early this morning and did it. Submitted.

:tup :tup

EDIT:  yeah...I's can write good.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:04:39 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2022, 09:49:00 PM »

I'm only became familiar with that song this morning (I didn't buy the 2002 reissue).  It does appear to be an original, but the only version out there is the live recording, right?  If someone wants to include it in a top 50, I'd be happy to add it, but I doubt it'd impact the aggregate top 50.

Yeah, I doubt it would be included in any top 50's, just thought I'd bring it up for thoroughness sake. I do wish there was a proper studio recording of the song. Oh well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2022, 06:34:15 AM »

I'm only became familiar with that song this morning (I didn't buy the 2002 reissue).  It does appear to be an original, but the only version out there is the live recording, right?  If someone wants to include it in a top 50, I'd be happy to add it, but I doubt it'd impact the aggregate top 50.

Yeah, I doubt it would be included in any top 50's, just thought I'd bring it up for thoroughness sake. I do wish there was a proper studio recording of the song. Oh well.

I haven't checked it out from the Spectre reissue, but I think I remember reading from Jeff Wagner's book it was an early version of Pirates of the Underground...?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2022, 10:03:50 AM »

I haven't checked it out from the Spectre reissue, but I think I remember reading from Jeff Wagner's book it was an early version of Pirates of the Underground...?

I just listened to it once yesterday.  It was a rather low-quality live recording.  Didn't sound like Pirates to me (and the lyrics were nothing alike), but I can't rule it out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2022, 10:36:04 AM »

I just listened to it once yesterday.  It was a rather low-quality live recording.  Didn't sound like Pirates to me (and the lyrics were nothing alike), but I can't rule it out.

Not sure, but as much as it's difficult to hear stuff properly (given the low quality), I can hear bits and pieces of Pirates in there...the opening, faster riff, and then slower-tempo one that follows are basically the same, no? And most of the lyrics in the first verse, too, I think.

Doesn't really matter, I guess. Not for the ranking, at least :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2022, 05:50:29 PM »
List sent!

My top 50 breakdown by album:

Night on Bröcken: 0
The Spectre Within: 1
Awaken the Guardian: 4
No Exit: 5
Perfect Symmetry: 6
Parallels: 8
Inside Out: 8
A Pleasant Shade of Gray: 6
Disconnected: 3
FWX: 1
Darkness In a Different Light: 1
Theories of Flight: 5
Long Day Good Night: 2

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2022, 06:24:10 PM »
I like the breakdown Nick. I just don't get that excited for Perfect Symmetry which doesn't really make sense, and I love a number of songs on Broken. But other than those two albums being reversed, we're very close.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2022, 06:55:22 PM »
I like the breakdown Nick. I just don't get that excited for Perfect Symmetry which doesn't really make sense, and I love a number of songs on Broken. But other than those two albums being reversed, we're very close.

You know, NOB for me suffers a bit from a similar syndrome to Rush's first album. It's a very enjoyable listen per se, but it's a very different beast than what came after and I find it especially hard to compare. To be fair, in this case, Spectre is not hugely different from it (and it's literally all the same guys). And indeed I do still find it to be a "work-in-progress" version of FW. Although you can hear some of that arcane, special FW sauce find its way. Awaken the Guardian is the one record that benefitted the most from my full revisit of the band's discography. I listened to that one several times in the past couple of weeks. Arch is still a very tough nut to crack, but there's some real magic in those songs. Again, a different sound than my favorite version of FW, but in this case several songs were able to creep in  ;)

But yes, Perfect Symmetry/Parallels/Inside Out is the real sweet spot for me. And as for the post-Disconnected material, Theories of Flight is head and shoulders above all the rest.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2022, 11:54:04 PM »
Just sent in my list. I hope I didn't screw it up....

Anyway my top 50 breakdown is as follows:

Night on Bröcken: 0
The Spectre Within: 7
Awaken the Guardian: 7
No Exit: 3
Perfect Symmetry: 6
Parallels: 7
Inside Out: 4
A Pleasant Shade of Gray: 3
Disconnected: 4
FWX: 6
Darkness In a Different Light: 0
Theories of Flight: 2
Long Day Good Night: 0

I thought maybe 1 or 2 would sneak in from LDGN, but not quite. If it were a top 60 one would have made it. So many good songs just outside my top 50........Can we make this a top 75 instead?  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »
I SECOND THAT MOTION!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2022, 07:07:15 AM »
I couldn’t go 75 deep on FW.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
Still pairing down my list.  :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »
Just sent in my list. I hope I didn't screw it up....

You did not.   :tup

I thought maybe 1 or 2 would sneak in from LDGN, but not quite. If it were a top 60 one would have made it. So many good songs just outside my top 50........Can we make this a top 75 instead?  :biggrin:

If we had started it as 60 or 75....

- It's really interesting watching some songs teeter on the edge of making or not making the top 50.

- We're still holding at five songs mentioned on every list (but they're not, at the moment, the consensus top 5).

- Only 14 songs not mentioned on any list.

- As the top 10 currently stands, 6 albums are represented.

- As things stand, Tim's list holds a distinction that is true of none of the other lists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »

- As things stand, Tim's list holds a distinction that is true of none of the other lists.

You're not using it? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »
Just chiming in to say that you will definitely get a list from me…but it will definitely be at The Eleventh Hour.

:neverusethis:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »

You're not using it? :lol

:lol

Just chiming in to say that you will definitely get a list from me…but it will definitely be at The Eleventh Hour.

I guess you felt the need to explain.   :biggrin:

Offline The Realm

« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
I will be submitting a list for this, nearly there! This has been the most challenging list countdown to do so far. I also have no idea how this one is going to play out, so is going to be really interesting and looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2022, 03:06:22 PM »
I used the ranker, which I did NOT do for Queensryche. It made things easier, but I had to adjust some stuff after I did it. Still not happy totally (the top-15 are just about right), but it is what it is.

It was a lot harder with Fates for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »

Ha!  Same here.  It has been more difficult than I originally thought to get my list down to 50 with just Alder era material.

I couldn’t go 75 deep on FW.

For me, 75 would've been much easier than 50.  At least until I got to the ranker.  :splodetard:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2022, 04:49:47 PM »
Mine will come right at cut-off too.  Did the ranked on the weekend but work has been non-stop this week so I'll look over it again Saturday and send.  There were a few surprising things going on in my list, but I probably won't bother changing much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2022, 07:09:56 PM »
The more I look at my list the more I want to change things. But now that I've sent.....oh well  :corn  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline WardySI

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2022, 05:41:33 AM »
PM'd you my list thanks pg1067!

Fingers crossed is all good, like others have said that was much harder than any the lists so far. What a great discography these guys have, don't think I've ever tried going beyond 10 FW faves so this was difficult but fun! :metal

Offline Awaken

« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »
I'll be sending my list over shortly.  Any one else run through the ranker multiple times and get different results each time?!  I guess my tastes change day to day w FW :lol  Anyway, the last one was as good as any I did so it's on the way!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »

And...just like that...this is no longer true.

The diversity I've seen in the 12 lists I've received so far is really impressive.  I expect Kev saw the same with the Rush and Maiden countdowns.  This is fun being on the other side of this one.