Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 32345 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Lists Due 10/7
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2022, 07:19:11 PM »
Checking Youtube, yeah it seems like all bootlegs. On one of the songs it's not even in synch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2022, 08:27:47 PM »
Checking Youtube, yeah it seems like all bootlegs. On one of the songs it's not even in synch.

Yeah, I think I remember pretty pretty let down by it.  The Parallels edition wasn't too bad so I think that's why I got the IO one too.  They are my two fans albums from them but still. 

I think the audio for the live stuff sounded okay but think the performances from the band were pretty spotty.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2022, 08:29:46 PM »
Just ran through NOB in the car this morning.  This is a great debut.  Been years since I have listened to it but there's some great songs.  I like the more straight ahead Maiden/Ryche direction they have on this one.  There might be more songs in my 50 from this one over the other two Arch albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2022, 08:50:01 PM »
Just ran through NOB in the car this morning.  This is a great debut.  Been years since I have listened to it but there's some great songs.  I like the more straight ahead Maiden/Ryche direction they have on this one.  There might be more songs in my 50 from this one over the other two Arch albums.

Tell me about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2022, 09:06:59 PM »

I'll double check the DVD for you mate later but don't think it was anything special or pro shot.

The main thing I remember about it is footage of MP jamming Guardian with them at a soundcheck and John Arch duetting with Ray Alder on the same song at another performance.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2022, 04:16:00 AM »

Tell me about it.

I already did.  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2022, 04:17:02 AM »

I'll double check the DVD for you mate later but don't think it was anything special or pro shot.

The main thing I remember about it is footage of MP jamming Guardian with them at a soundcheck and John Arch duetting with Ray Alder on the same song at another performance.

I see there's only a couple of live tracks and the rest are demo's too.  I've never cared for demo's.

I can't even remember those things from the DVD.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
This process has taken up WAY more time than I anticipated.  The bright side is that I've been listening to FW pretty much non-stop for the past few days

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »
For a generally pretty accessible album, Mark Zonder is phenomenal on Inside Out.

His drumming on both IO and Parallels is a highlight IMO.

Speaking of IO...since this countdown obviously put me in a Fates mood, I'm toying with the idea of getting the expanded version of IO that came out, what, ten years ago? Anyone here has it, by any chance? How is the video portion of it?

What is on it? Is there a full concert?

Not a full concert.  I have it, but I couldn't remember at all what's on it without looking at the Wikipedia page.  I'll have to revisit it this weekend.

Yeah, I think I remember pretty pretty let down by it.  The Parallels edition wasn't too bad so I think that's why I got the IO one too.  They are my two fans albums from them but still. 

I believe the expanded versions of both Perfect Symmetry and Parallels had documentary footage that, by itself, was worth the cost of buying them again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
Even with just an Alder era top 50, I'm gonna have to do a sizable amount of homework.  :facepalm:  Especially the material following APSOG (my fav FW album btw).
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2022, 11:23:08 AM »
This process has taken up WAY more time than I anticipated.  The bright side is that I've been listening to FW pretty much non-stop for the past few days

Same for me. I’m not even at the point of starting my list yet, as I’m still in the process of re-familiarizing myself with some of the albums.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2022, 02:17:09 PM »
And sent.  Looking forward to the results!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »
I'm trying my best to just go with my instincts and not agonize over rankings.  I'm listening to the discography and just moving songs into the list according to what I'm feeling at the moment.  I might listen through again after I'm done and see what changes but if I spend too much time on it I'll never have a list.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2022, 03:03:40 PM »
I'm trying my best to just go with my instincts and not agonize over rankings.  I'm listening to the discography and just moving songs into the list according to what I'm feeling at the moment.  I might listen through again after I'm done and see what changes but if I spend too much time on it I'll never have a list.

I know the feeling!

Also, we now have only 8 songs that have been included on every list.  LOTS of variety here!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »
For a generally pretty accessible album, Mark Zonder is phenomenal on Inside Out.

His drumming on both IO and Parallels is a highlight IMO.

Speaking of IO...since this countdown obviously put me in a Fates mood, I'm toying with the idea of getting the expanded version of IO that came out, what, ten years ago? Anyone here has it, by any chance? How is the video portion of it?

What is on it? Is there a full concert?

Not a full concert.  I have it, but I couldn't remember at all what's on it without looking at the Wikipedia page.  I'll have to revisit it this weekend.

I believe the expanded versions of both Perfect Symmetry and Parallels had documentary footage that, by itself, was worth the cost of buying them again.

I have all 3 and remember this could be a reason why the former two were great but IO was a letdown.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2022, 07:04:48 PM »
So I love Parallels and Inside Out...

..it seemed Parallels detailed the falling apart of a relationship, and Inside Out seemed to present kind of moving on..kind of.

But when APSOG came out, it was the third album in a row with some sort of relationship lament in the lyrics, and there was a sappiness to them. It's one if the big things I hold against that album.

Does the book address any of this?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2022, 08:39:59 PM »
So I love Parallels and Inside Out...

..it seemed Parallels detailed the falling apart of a relationship, and Inside Out seemed to present kind of moving on..kind of.

But when APSOG came out, it was the third album in a row with some sort of relationship lament in the lyrics, and there was a sappiness to them. It's one if the big things I hold against that album.

Does the book address any of this?

The book paints a very different story IMO.

Firstly, Jim makes it clear that the lyrics on Parallels are often misinterpreted. For instance, Eye to Eye is often interpreted as a personal relationship song, when it was written from the point of view of the performer to the audience. Not two people in a personal relationship.

The book also paints a very bleak picture of the making of IO with more than one band member feeling it was not what it should have been. I think Jim and Ray both state that it was the first time no one felt like the band took a step forward, and instead were just attempting to retread Parallels…and it just didn’t feel right the second time around. (Though Monument is mentioned as a big highlight)

APSOG is never described as having anything to do with relationships…but all who were involved glow about the project as being a reinvention and something they are extremely proud of.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2022, 08:44:57 PM »
Thanks Ben. Interesting. Inside Out and Parallels are kind of sister albums. They're right. They are quite similar. I don't mind though.

Which is maybe why Jim is doesn't seem to be in a rush for any new FW. He's basically released the same album for the last three releases.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2022, 09:20:24 PM »
I got my copy of A Pleasant Shade of Gray signed and mentioned that it was my favorite Fates Warning album, and Jim said it was his as well.  This was during the Theories of Flight tour and that had just come out, so it's possible that either or the new album could now be his favorite, but I think A Pleasant Shade of Gray is just special.

I really wanted to rank it as one track and it would be #1 for me.  But as it is I think most of the tracks are going to be at the top of the list.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2022, 10:29:58 PM »
People wonder what the album is about. Maybe I’m reading into it, or maybe the author just shared my viewpoint. But I got the impression that the meaning of the piece was simply the fragmented and sometimes barely disconnected thoughts that keep a man tossing and turning through a sleepless night. Thoughts of despair, thoughts of failed endeavors, thoughts of wanting to be better in your personal relationships…etc etc. And then ultimately concluding that tomorrow is another opportunity to try and make things better. You finally find a small moment of peace……..and then one minute later the alarm clock rings.    I’ve lived this many times. So it speaks to me on that level.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2022, 06:20:17 AM »
I got my copy of A Pleasant Shade of Gray signed and mentioned that it was my favorite Fates Warning album, and Jim said it was his as well.  This was during the Theories of Flight tour and that had just come out, so it's possible that either or the new album could now be his favorite, but I think A Pleasant Shade of Gray is just special.

I really wanted to rank it as one track and it would be #1 for me.  But as it is I think most of the tracks are going to be at the top of the list.

I've listened to it straight through 3 times in a row trying to figure out what I can cut out.  Some of the movements are definitely stronger than others but I can't seem to cut any of them out of my draft listing.  If it was one song it would have been #1 for me, as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2022, 10:00:44 AM »
Firstly, Jim makes it clear that the lyrics on Parallels are often misinterpreted. For instance, Eye to Eye is often interpreted as a personal relationship song, when it was written from the point of view of the performer to the audience. Not two people in a personal relationship.

Yeah...lyrically speaking, Eye to Eye is a sequel to Rush's Limelight, and I recall Jim discussing this in contemporary interviews.  The lyrics are about as blatant as can be.  "I saw you once again last night, through a sea of sullen faces.  Admiring eyes following the path that the spotlight traces."  Don't Follow Me has a similar theme.

People wonder what the album is about. Maybe I’m reading into it, or maybe the author just shared my viewpoint. But I got the impression that the meaning of the piece was simply the fragmented and sometimes barely disconnected thoughts that keep a man tossing and turning through a sleepless night. Thoughts of despair, thoughts of failed endeavors, thoughts of wanting to be better in your personal relationships…etc etc. And then ultimately concluding that tomorrow is another opportunity to try and make things better. You finally find a small moment of peace……..and then one minute later the alarm clock rings.    I’ve lived this many times. So it speaks to me on that level.

It's funny to see folks wondering what it's about.  I don't remember if I read/heard interviews, but I've always been of the impression that this is what it is about.  It's the only thing that really harmonizes all of the various ideas/themes.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »

It's funny to see folks wondering what it's about.  I don't remember if I read/heard interviews, but I've always been of the impression that this is what it is about.  It's the only thing that really harmonizes all of the various ideas/themes.
Yeah, isn't there even something in the liner notes about this? I could have sworn I read that in the liner notes. Or maybe it was in an interview with Jim.....Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing...  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2022, 06:03:00 PM »

Yeah, isn't there even something in the liner notes about this? I could have sworn I read that in the liner notes. Or maybe it was in an interview with Jim.....Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing...  :lol

Heck if I know.  The last time I pulled one of my CD booklets out, I couldn't read it (without more effort than I wanted to put into it) because I didn't have my reading glasses.  I pulled up whatever it was online and enlarged the screen.  Ugh!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2022, 06:04:57 PM »
I need reading glasses just to browse this forum.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2022, 06:55:41 PM »

Fogey problems :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »
I need reading glasses just to browse this forum.

I usually read it on a nice big work monitor (at 110%) or on my laptop at home (at 125%).  Every once in a while I pull it up on my phone and...forget it!

By the way...based on lists submitted so far, 8 different albums are represented in the top 10.

Online WardySI

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »
My 65 are selected and the first half in a rough order.  I might run them all through the ranking to help sort the ones I am struggling to decide on...

Good APSOG chat above too cheers am keen to read comments and thoughts once the countdown begins!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »
One thing I've realized for the first time, during this entire process of relistening to the discography and ranking everything, I really want to hear how Mark Zonder would have done the drums on the first 4 albums. Not that Zimmerman was bad, but Zonder is on a whole other level.

Also if Fates Warning does continue to make new music and Bobby Jarzombek ever decides to leave, they are going to need to find another drummer with a Z in their name...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - **Lists Due 10/8**
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2022, 06:26:53 PM »
Also if Fates Warning does continue to make new music and Bobby Jarzombek ever decides to leave, they are going to need to find another drummer with a Z in their name...

Mike Zortnoy?   :biggrin:

Two more lists received today, and we're down to only five songs mentioned on every list.

Also, I'm going to extend the deadline to submit lists to the end of the day (Pacific time) next Saturday, October 8.  I'll then compile the master list on Sunday and start the reveal on Monday, October 10.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2022, 06:30:47 PM »
How many lists are we up to?

Only 5 songs? Wow, that's amazing!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »

Nir Zidkyahu
Charlie Z (Charlie Zeleny)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2022, 08:16:08 PM »

Charlie Z (Charlie Zeleny)

Didn't his name come up when MP left DT?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2022, 08:58:36 PM »
I'm coming up with my list this afternoon.  Should be fun.  I'll have to use the ranker I think.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2022, 10:10:53 PM »
Just ran through the ranker.  I'm quite surprised how many songs from Disconnected onwards made the list.  Looking at it though, I'm not sure I'd take any out.