Poll

If Aaron Judge hits 62 home runs in 154 games or less, do you consider him the single season HR champ?

Yes.
5 (22.7%)
No.
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Aaron Judge and 62 - a question for MLB fans  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Aaron Judge and 62 - a question for MLB fans
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
The question is simple, but the context is not.

Given the steroid use (or alleged use, depending on your POV) of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa, and the fact it took Maris a 163-game schedule to break Babe Ruth's 154-game schedule record of 60 HRs, if Aaron Judge his 62nd home by the end of game 154, would you consider him the MLB single season home run champ of all time?

Personally, I absolutely will. Like I am sure many, I read all the stuff about PEDS, Bonds, the stuff McGwire and Sosa were taking, etc. I read Game of Shadows and believe and trust the journalists who did that research. They were all insanely dirty, particularly Bonds. It was pretty obvious to everyone outside of San Francisco that Bonds was ridiculously juiced. (Still a phenomenal ballplayer that before juicing, would have been in the HOF - great eye, great power and speed.) Judge though - that dude, as far as anyone knows, is clean as a whistle. He's just a big man, with a great eye, and put in a lot of work.

I'm curious of the opinions of all the other DTFers who are hardcore baseball fans.

As for me, I'm a huge baseball fan, and been a Yankees fan since birth. My first game was apparently '79 at the stadium, but I don't remember it. The first one I remember was '84, watching Dave Winfield have a day off smoking a cigarette down in a side tunnel. Yanks were playing the Tigers that day.  :corn :lol

It's still my feeling that despite the amazing feat of Roger Maris, whose achievement I respect, Ruth was, and is, now, along with Judge, the true single season HR King. Ruth's feat came in 154 games. Maris needed 155 games to even get to 59, hit his 60th in game 159, and needed not just 162, but 163 (there was a tiebreak game) to hit 61 to eclipse Ruth.

#AllRise

Hoping Aaron gets 61 today, and then blast 62 off the Red Sox, which would be proper.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Aaron Judge and 62 - a question for MLB fans
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
I grew up a Yankee fan, so this is close to my heart.  I will not resist the urge to point out that THREE players in American League history hit 60 homers, all Yankees! 

I generally don't have a huge problem with steroids.  I don't think Clemens' accomplishments ought to be ignored.  But for some reason, the season homerun totals bother me.  That Sammy Sosa hit 60 THREE TIMES rubs me the wrong way for some reason.  BONDS - maybe it was his blatant disregard for the perception he put forth - rubs me the wrong way. 

I don't have a problem with the number of games.  I never bought into the asterisk thing with Maris.  If you know the story, Maris went through as much hell as any player could to achieve that, and it was an achievement.  I have no problem with Judge if he takes all 162 to do it. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:57:12 AM »
I personally think it's foolish to compare statistics from different eras. Sure, Bonds, McGwire, etc used steroids. But Judge is able to use supplements that are legal that weren't available for Maris, or even during the steroid era a couple decades ago. There are also better masking techniques today, so maybe Judge is using an illegal substance and just getting away with it. Or is using a substance that two years from now will be illegal. The difference in number of games played is also a factor obviously. I don't think it's worth the thought really. Just enjoy the historic season Judge is having.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:59:47 AM »
As someone who lost interest in baseball and I attribute a lot of that to the steroids, I would hope Judge is clean and if so, yes and I would gladly welcome someone to take over these HR records.  I can't help but be a bit skeptical, but since my interest has waned to the point of being nonexistent for baseball, I don't follow closely enough to know if I actually should be skeptical of him or maybe I'm just lost in the past with regards to steroid usage in MLB.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 09:02:47 AM »
In the literal sense of the question, I said 'no' because, well, because Bonds hit them balls out the park.

That said, the OP is dead on with the complexity of the context.

I suppose it all depends on where one falls on PED's and their affect on the actual process of hitting (and pitching).

For me, I always thought of PED's as a 'booster' to the inherent talent. Bonds was (at that time) the greatest player I'd ever seen—a true 5-tooler. He was already great, and PED's simply made him a touch better.

Over the years, however, my feelings have grown more mixed—I read both of Canseco's books and began to shift my thinking. It seems like every generation has their share of 'cheating' and that most 'cheating' is never caught. Not an excuse, but certainly worth considering.

Now, I have never played anything other than sandlot baseball, so I am far from informed on this topic. That said, I am a lifelong fan. At this point, while Bonds holds the record (hence my answer to the poll), I am pulling for Judge and am happy I'm alive right now to watch this.

As an aside, It'd make everyone's lives a whole lot easier if they'd just strike Bond's record from the books, but until they do, he 'technically' holds the record.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »
The point about eras is well taken. I mean, Ruth never had to hit 99 mph fastballs on the regular. Neither did anyone in the 60s.

Every era is different. The Steroid era though...that's an artificial era to me. An era of people cheating the game. That's different, at least to me. If anything, guys like Mantle and Ruth ended up hurting themselves with their different vices. Sure, guys in the 60s and 70s took greenies, but that was basically to get you awake after a night of drinking. Steroids and PEDs are a different matter entirely. Canseco...yes, he cheated. But he cheated in a way that enhanced his muscular ability to hit the ball out of the park. Guys taking greenies, again, that was the equivalent of drinking red bulls now.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
Yes, but with an asterisks. 

Had Maris been playing in ballpark the size of the current Yankee stadium (OG was 490' to center) and with modern balls being thrown at today's speeds, he'd have hit close to 70. Maybe even broken it. Even if Judge is juice free (I think he is), he's got it a easier in many regards compared to Maris.

Not disrespecting the dude's accomplishment in the least. I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:07:11 AM »
The point about eras is well taken. I mean, Ruth never had to hit 99 mph fastballs on the regular. Neither did anyone in the 60s.

Every era is different. The Steroid era though...that's an artificial era to me. An era of people cheating the game. That's different, at least to me. If anything, guys like Mantle and Ruth ended up hurting themselves with their different vices. Sure, guys in the 60s and 70s took greenies, but that was basically to get you awake after a night of drinking. Steroids and PEDs are a different matter entirely. Canseco...yes, he cheated. But he cheated in a way that enhanced his muscular ability to hit the ball out of the park. Guys taking greenies, again, that was the equivalent of drinking red bulls now.

Something else I just thought of is the effect steroids have on recovery. Bonds was playing every day at an age when guys would have taken every 4th game off.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:09:46 AM »

Had Maris been playing in ballpark the size of the current Yankee stadium (OG was 490' to center) and with modern balls being thrown at today's speeds, he'd have hit close to 70. Maybe even broken it. Even if Judge is juice free (I think he is), he's got it a easier in many regards compared to Maris.

Not disrespecting the dude's accomplishment in the least. I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

Another fair point. I'd have to see the distance of Judge's homeruns to know. But I'm fairly certain, given so many of his HRs were pull shots to left field this year, that he'd of hit them out of most ballparks in the past. Plus, he's sneaky fast. Take a look at his SB numbers and then remember he's 6'7" and 282 lbs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 09:21:08 AM »

Another fair point. I'd have to see the distance of Judge's homeruns to know. But I'm fairly certain, given so many of his HRs were pull shots to left field this year, that he'd of hit them out of most ballparks in the past. Plus, he's sneaky fast. Take a look at his SB numbers and then remember he's 6'7" and 282 lbs.

They're talking about this now, and Statcast says only two of his homers he hit out at Yankee Stadium would not have been homers anywhere else.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »

They're talking about this now, and Statcast says only two of his homers he hit out at Yankee Stadium would not have been homers anywhere else.

Did they mention how many fly balls or doubles Maris had that would have been HRs in modern ballparks? That's the stat I'd be most interested in.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 09:25:15 AM »
No they did not other than an old timer calling and talking about how Maris was getting grooved pitches towards the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:12 AM »

Something else I just thought of is the effect steroids have on recovery. Bonds was playing every day at an age when guys would have taken every 4th game off.

That's where the effect is for pitchers; they don't generally get the same benefit from bulk, but they do get a HUGE advantage in being able to recover quicker.  That was actually Andy Pettite's excuse for his involvement in the Dark Arts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »
And this is why I simply don't dismiss Barry Bonds as the HR champ.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 09:41:04 AM »
No they did not other than an old timer calling and talking about how Maris was getting grooved pitches towards the end.

Is that true though?   I read "Dynasty" by Peter Golenback and if memory serves, it wasn't Maris that people wanted to get the record, it was Mantle.  Mantle finished with 54 IMS, but he and Maris were neck and neck until the last couple weeks of the season, where Mantle sort of broke down physically.  I would have thought that the Mick would have gotten the grooved pitches over Roger, who many thought was a dick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 09:41:35 AM »
Baseball players have cheated since the beginning.

Bonds is an a-hole, but he is the single season HR champ.

What is that old saying: you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.  Bonds is the single season HR champ, and that is a fact.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »

Is that true though?   I read "Dynasty" by Peter Golenback and if memory serves, it wasn't Maris that people wanted to get the record, it was Mantle.  Mantle finished with 54 IMS, but he and Maris were neck and neck until the last couple weeks of the season, where Mantle sort of broke down physically.  I would have thought that the Mick would have gotten the grooved pitches over Roger, who many thought was a dick.

I'm sorry, they may have been talking about Mantle.

never mind...carry on! :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 09:44:34 AM »

I'm sorry, they may have been talking about Mantle.

never mind...carry on! :lol

I was going to say, I don't think many people outside of the Maris family wanted to see Maris break it. Especially after No.7 had to sit out the rest of the season.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 10:11:11 AM »
Maris' season was incredible. The thing I find so crazy is how things change. Back in 1961, people wanted Mantle to do it. And when he got hurt, people literally rooted against Maris for some reason. Not sure why. I wasn't alive, and I know Mantle was the Golden Boy, but that's stupid to me. Maris had an incredible year.  Here in 2022, most folks are rooting Judge on and showing him love (rightly so). Situation was really different.

Maris (1961)

Doubles - 16
Hits  - 159

Judge (2022 - through 147 games so far)

Doubles - 25
Hits - 167

So clearly, Judge has had a better all around season in comparison to Maris. But that shouldn't take away the shine from what Maris accomplished. The guy was losing his hair over all the pressure and hate he received (unfairly).

As for hitting them out this year, glad to see people saying that all of the HRs at Yankee Stadium would have gone out except for two. Just an incredible run for sure.

p.s. NO ONE is grooving pitches to Aaron Judge. I've watched every at-bat for probably the last dozen games. They are pitching him carefully. He's just not missing mistakes.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
This is not even a question.  The single-season home run record is 73 by Bonds, followed McGwire at 70, Sosa at 66, McGwire at 65, Sosa at 64 and 63, Maris at 61, and Ruth and Judge at 60.  It just is, and there is no "consider."  If Judge hits 14 more HR in the Yankees remaining 15 games, then, and only then, will he be the single-season HR leader.

If you want to take into account how many games it took each guy, here's your list, with everyone's number normalized over 162 games schedule:

1. Bonds - 2001 - 77.294 (73 HR in 153 games played)
2. McGwire - 1998 - 73.161 (70 HR in 155 GP)
3. McGwire - 1999 - 68.824 (65 HR in 153 GP)
4. Judge - 2022 - 67.972 (60 HR in 143 GP) (in progress)
5. Sosa - 1998 - 67.245 (66 HR in 159 GP)
6. Sosa - 2001 - 64.800 (64 HR in 160 GP)
7. Ruth - 1927 - 64.371 (60 HR in 151 GP)
8. Sosa - 1999 - 63.000 (63 HR in 162 GP)
9. Maris - 1961 - 61.379 (61 HR in 161 GP)

Bonds was playing every day at an age when guys would have taken every 4th game off.

Except that, as you can see above, Bonds played the lowest percentage of his team's games of any of the other top 9.  Also no position player takes every 4th game off.  This isn't the NBA.

Back in 1961, people wanted Mantle to do it. And when he got hurt, people literally rooted against Maris for some reason. Not sure why. I wasn't alive, and I know Mantle was the Golden Boy, but that's stupid to me.

From what I've read, it stemmed from several things:  (1) as you noted, Mantle was the "golden boy;" (2) the legend of Babe Ruth; and (3) Maris was not at all charismatic or friendly with fans or the media.  And yeah, it's stupid for sure.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »
Paul, it's totally a question. The guys above Maris all cheated to get there. And everyone knows it. Yes, MLB allowed it, whatever. But the guys above Maris took chemicals to illegally improve their muscle build and strength in order to achieve those heights. Whereas Maris, Ruth, Judge, and presumably Stanton at 59 a few years back, were fully clean athletes.

It DOES make a difference, regardless of what MLB has allowed.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 11:33:49 AM »
I get that people are talking about it, but to me it's a non-thing.  I also feel compelled to point out that NEVER did Bonds fail a drug test.  You can look on him and say his record isn't legit, but it is the record.

Kev said it more succinctly and better:

Baseball players have cheated since the beginning.

Bonds is an a-hole, but he is the single season HR champ.

What is that old saying: you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.  Bonds is the single season HR champ, and that is a fact.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 11:57:23 AM »
Well, the fact is that MLB let it slide, and by MLB's decree, Bonds is the single season HR leader, career home run leader, etc. MLB defines what's factual...or put better, MLB holds the power to define what is viewed as factual and what is not. If you want to roll with that, I get it.

I'll stand by the overwhelming evidence that Bonds, McGwire and Sosa were cheaters for the majority of their careers, and their "factual" numbers are unnaturally inflated due to muscle enhancing drug use.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 12:56:43 PM »
Maris; it's been alluded to here already, but they rooted against him because he was not always forthcoming with the press.  He was a quiet man who kept to himself and told it like it is, not a welcome thing under the standards of the 1961 Yankees.  You had a long run - Ruth (who was loved at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), Gehrig (who was respected at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), DiMaggio (whose ability was respected at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), then Mantle - of Yankees who upheld the standard and were well-liked by fans and writers alike.  Along comes Maris, who was, for all intents and purposes a journeyman right fielder (though he was MVP the season before), who is now threatening the great Babe Ruth.

Ford Frick, the Commissioner of baseball was a friend of Babe Ruth, and triggered a lot of this; the whole "asterisk" thing was from him and well before Maris ever got the record. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 02:00:22 PM »
Stads, yeah. I mean, Maris was a solid player in his prime with that one magical season. The thing is though, he always hit in front of Mantle, which means instant protection. I have a lot of respect for Maris, but in all honesty, he was nowhere near the talent of guys like Mantle, Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio, etc. Maris just hit in front of the best Yankee of his era and was able to pop off a hell of a year, and got an MVP out of it (although looking at the stats, Mantle was still the better player, IMO).

Anyway, I guess this debate about homers can go on and on. At least Judge will be credited with the American League homerun record when it is all said and done. And hopefully a triple crown and mvp to boot. not that I feel bad, but the Yankees are going to have to pony up like 7 yr/300 mil this winter.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 02:22:59 PM by Samsara »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 02:12:53 PM »
Just want to throw it out there that anyone who hasn't seen the movie 61* should do so. It's a great flick.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 03:02:39 PM »
Maris; it's been alluded to here already, but they rooted against him because he was not always forthcoming with the press.  He was a quiet man who kept to himself and told it like it is, not a welcome thing under the standards of the 1961 Yankees.  You had a long run - Ruth (who was loved at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), Gehrig (who was respected at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), DiMaggio (whose ability was respected at a level that few athletes, ever, in any sport, have achieved), then Mantle - of Yankees who upheld the standard and were well-liked by fans and writers alike.  Along comes Maris, who was, for all intents and purposes a journeyman right fielder (though he was MVP the season before), who is now threatening the great Babe Ruth.

Ford Frick, the Commissioner of baseball was a friend of Babe Ruth, and triggered a lot of this; the whole "asterisk" thing was from him and well before Maris ever got the record.

Good point about the asterisk and Ford Frick.

Also (and this happened later with Alex Rodriguez), I assume there was some hostility because Maris "wasn't really a Yankee."  He spent his first four seasons with the Indians and Kansas City A's.  You'd think a guy who shows up in New York and immediately wins an MVP in his first season would be well-received, but apparently not.  It also wouldn't surprise me if some folks held the 1960 World Series against him.  If you're not familiar, the 1960 World Series was, at the time, the only World Series to end in a walk-off HR.  It was a 7-game series that the Pirates won 4 games to 3.  However, the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 over the seven games (the Yankees won their three games by an AVERAGE of 14-1, while the Pirates' first three wins were by an average of 4.67 to 2.67 - game 7 was a 10-9 free-for-all).  Maris played reasonably well in the Series but was a no-show in game 7.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
In the literal sense of the question, I said 'no' because, well, because Bonds hit them balls out the park.

This is where I am at.

As an aside, It'd make everyone's lives a whole lot easier if they'd just strike Bond's record from the books....

I am, however, not with this. I generally don't approve of stats being erased or asterisk'ed years later. The violation has to be very egregious for me to consider this a viable option, and it just isn't for me in this case.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 10:25:54 PM »
Bonds was the greatest baseball player ever, steroids or not. He had a better eye than anyone, steroids don't help you there. His ability to barrel baseballs was second to none, steroids don't help with that either. That's about putting the bat on the ball in the right spot. Perhaps the balls traveled a bit farther because he was stronger from steroids, perhaps. You also need to consider where Bonds was playing half of his games, AT&T Park (or Oracle Park if you prefer), one of the least hitter friendly parks in the league (even more so when he was playing). Plus just about every pitcher at the time was also, supposedly, on steroids. Thus, an even playing field.

The one thing people always tend to forget is a players ability to get the bat on the ball and hit the ball on the sweet spot of the bat. Steroids don't help with that.

I've made my arguments for this subject a number of times and my mind won't be changed. Bonds is the home run king until someone can surpass him. If Judge somehow does it this year, I will declare him the single season home run king. Simple as that.

As much as I love baseball (it is my favorite sport afterall) it is just a silly game and ultimately none of this matters  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2022, 05:41:35 AM »
Paul, it's totally a question. The guys above Maris all cheated to get there. And everyone knows it. Yes, MLB allowed it, whatever. But the guys above Maris took chemicals to illegally improve their muscle build and strength in order to achieve those heights. Whereas Maris, Ruth, Judge, and presumably Stanton at 59 a few years back, were fully clean athletes.

But how do we know this?   The huge leap in Judge's production is usually the mark of someone who is "cheating" or using.

Contrast that to a guy like Albert Pujols who never saw huge spikes or dives in his HR production from one season to the next.  I know the chatter has often been that if a guy usually hits around x-number of HRs a year and then sees a sudden spike, he is likely using something.  39 to 60 (and still counting) in one season is a major spike.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2022, 06:05:38 AM »

But how do we know this?   The huge leap in Judge's production is usually the mark of someone who is "cheating" or using.

I'd argue the person's body, mainly the neck, lower face, and biceps. Aaron Judge is just built like a fridge with legs. He's been the same dimensions his entire career. Whereas the other guys were pretty consistent and ballooned/bulked up strangely late in their careers

Contrast that to a guy like Albert Pujols who never saw huge spikes or dives in his HR production from one season to the next.  I know the chatter has often been that if a guy usually hits around x-number of HRs a year and then sees a sudden spike, he is likely using something.  39 to 60 (and still counting) in one season is a major spike.

Judge had 52 (or something like that) in his second year, and then didn't he battle an injury for a season or two? I don't know if he's been playing long enough yet in shealthy condition to make that call. I used to bowl in leagues for years and got up to a 180-185 average for about four years running. Every now and then though I'd have a string of weeks where I'd roll a few 625+ series in a row, even hitting a 700 banger now and then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2022, 06:13:24 AM »
Oh, absolutely, players have career years all the time.  I guess time will tell. I think that how his numbers play out in the next few years will be more of an indicator.  And to be clear, I am not accusing Aaron Judge of cheating or using, just saying that you never know when it comes to baseball players, given the long history of cheating in the sport.  I think some (meant generally, not referring to anyone here) have this idea that baseball players were all clean players prior to those evil steroid guys, but that is not reality.  Heck, it is fun to bag on the Astros for the way they cheated to win the WS a few years ago, but do we really think that many other teams over the years haven't done things similar to that to win?  It's baseball, FFS.  :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2022, 08:16:23 AM »

Good point about the asterisk and Ford Frick.

Also (and this happened later with Alex Rodriguez), I assume there was some hostility because Maris "wasn't really a Yankee."  He spent his first four seasons with the Indians and Kansas City A's.  You'd think a guy who shows up in New York and immediately wins an MVP in his first season would be well-received, but apparently not.  It also wouldn't surprise me if some folks held the 1960 World Series against him.  If you're not familiar, the 1960 World Series was, at the time, the only World Series to end in a walk-off HR.  It was a 7-game series that the Pirates won 4 games to 3.  However, the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 over the seven games (the Yankees won their three games by an AVERAGE of 14-1, while the Pirates' first three wins were by an average of 4.67 to 2.67 - game 7 was a 10-9 free-for-all).  Maris played reasonably well in the Series but was a no-show in game 7.

That, and Maris came to the Yanks in a trade that gave up Don "Perfect Game" Larson and fan-favorite Hank Bauer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2022, 08:20:07 AM »
Bonds was the greatest baseball player ever, steroids or not. He had a better eye than anyone, steroids don't help you there. His ability to barrel baseballs was second to none, steroids don't help with that either. That's about putting the bat on the ball in the right spot. Perhaps the balls traveled a bit farther because he was stronger from steroids, perhaps. You also need to consider where Bonds was playing half of his games, AT&T Park (or Oracle Park if you prefer), one of the least hitter friendly parks in the league (even more so when he was playing). Plus just about every pitcher at the time was also, supposedly, on steroids. Thus, an even playing field.

The one thing people always tend to forget is a players ability to get the bat on the ball and hit the ball on the sweet spot of the bat. Steroids don't help with that.

I've made my arguments for this subject a number of times and my mind won't be changed. Bonds is the home run king until someone can surpass him. If Judge somehow does it this year, I will declare him the single season home run king. Simple as that.

As much as I love baseball (it is my favorite sport afterall) it is just a silly game and ultimately none of this matters  :corn

Not really arguing with you - I'm a "it's not cheating if you don't get caught" sort of guy - but that's not ENTIRELY true about steroids not helping.  Timing is everything, and timing comes with practice.  If your stamina is greatly increased and you can practice more, or maintain that level longer in game situations, then you may see improvements in areas that aren't directly "strength" related.

Also, if you want a "before and after", Clemens is another good one. He was a stick figure in Boston and a bull moose in NY. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »

Have you seen Judge? He's the same as he was, looks-wise, from his rookie year until now. And the huge production leap should be obvious - he played a full season his rookie year and his 52 homers...and was robbed of the MVP by a trash can inflated stats Altuve. Judge has missed time every season since...until this year. And he's smack dab in the middle of his prime.

Pay attention, Kev.