Author Topic: How do you consume your news?  (Read 3022 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How do you consume your news?
« on: September 20, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »
How do you consume your news?

Internet? and if so, which websites?
Newspapers?
Radio, Podcasts?

For me, my homepage is MSN. It gives me a bunch of headlines across a number of areas. generally, i like it, but it is still filled with a lot of nonsense and keeps things up for days.

I feel like the headlines are generally balanced, but damn, there's a lot of bad shit going on in the world. I wonder if it's unavoidable wherever you get your news. I'd love to try a different internet news service that is balanced. Any suggestions?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: How do you consume your news?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:13:54 PM »
I usually listen to the Up First podcast from NPR in the morning and sometimes I'll catch nightly news. To be honest though I'm limiting my news consumption as much as possible these days.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 09:39:48 PM »
DTF.

Seriously, don't follow the news all that much but same as Tim when I open my browser MSN comes up.  I may have a quick look, maybe not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 05:04:13 AM »
Internet, mostly. I'm a casual TV watcher so I don't depend from the TV news to know what's going on.

When I'm at the computer, I consult the site of the major and most famous italian newspaper. On social media, I follow another one that I consider interesting and not too politically inclined one way or the other.

And I'm an old nostalgic phucker so I still watch the teletext  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 05:37:44 AM »
I usually read the NYTime's The Morning email daily. It's a quick read with one main story and a few short blurbs on other relevant news (all with links to the full stories but I dont pay for the NY times) but it's enough info daily to be aware of what's going on. I don't have cable anymore so I never watch the news. My homepage goes to yahoo which also has news on the home page. I'll browse this at work. Other ways like talking to people friends and coworkers and DTF. Also, ill get news on tiktok. I follow a NJ podcast account that provides lots of local news and my foryou page often gets global news stories.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 05:43:30 AM »
I read Svenska Dagbladet online (payed subscription) and check some other newspapers sites as well.
I also listen to news on SR1 and watch news on SVT1, SVT2 and TV4. Usually just one of the major newsprograms per day.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 05:45:18 AM »
I hate to sound cynical....but this has thread shut down written all over it. The original question seems innocuous enough, but there's already a reflexive propensity to talk about political balance.

Hoping everyone proves me wrong, but this might be a better thread for the echo chamber. Shit's gonna get out of control.

That stated, I've noticed this forum is typically more permissible for intense debate....considerably more so than the old MP forum General Public and Music Chat threads (for those alumni old enough to remember). So....let's see!  :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 05:50:07 AM »
I hate to sound cynical....but this has thread shut down written all over it. The original question seems innocuous enough, but there's already a reflexive propensity to talk about political balance.

Hoping everyone proves me wrong, but this might be a better thread for the echo chamber. Shit's gonna get out of control.

That stated, I've noticed this forum is typically more permissible for intense debate....considerably more so than the old MP forum General Public and Music Chat threads (for those alumni old enough to remember). So....let's see!  :corn

Well.......it's now kinda your fault if it heads that way.  But, I seriously don't know how you can assume that by what has been posted so far.  Seems like you're trying to lay some bait.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
Internet or podcasts from smaller channels of people that I just like to hear their take on things.

I do not watch watch any mainstream new sources.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 07:12:19 AM »
I don't watch news on TV. I go to Yahoo news often because they source from all over the place. I ignore a lot of it but if something sticks out, I'll look into it. If it's a FOX or something article, I'll either ignore it or research the topic separately. I usually try to go with Reuters or AP for news I'm looking for. For Israel news, I'll go to Haaretz.

Of course I still randomly read news on various websites if someone is posting it, and then I'll look into it on my own if it interests me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 07:18:05 AM »

This is an odd post. No one has said anything even remotely political.
However, while I did consider posting it in P/R, I did not because I don't want to make it political. It was an honest and genuine question. If someone says they get their news from a fringe source, then fine. But I guess I was more of less trying to find some options to MSN, which usually just compiles headlines across the internet.

I don't watch news on TV. I go to Yahoo news often because they source from all over the place. I ignore a lot of it but if something sticks out, I'll look into it. If it's a FOX or something article, I'll either ignore it or research the topic separately. I usually try to go with Reuters or AP for news I'm looking for.

Ok, so that's similar to my MO. I'll check out the Yahoo homepage. I usually skip Fox and CNN headlines, but like you said, if one of their headlines intrigues me, I'll do a separate google search.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 07:18:21 AM »

Well.......it's now kinda your fault if it heads that way.  But, I seriously don't know how you can assume that by what has been posted so far.  Seems like you're trying to lay some bait.
If users of this forum are that sensitive to comments I made in that regard, then that supports the premise I proposed. No bait (although it could be argued that the FAUX bait was taken HERE). No assumptions....just awareness. I might also point out....any references to my comments being bait....facilitate the bait. True? I'm doing it myself RIGHT NOW for illustrative purposes....to make people THINK. Which is why....I've made my points.....I'm going to post the popcorn icon again and refrain from any further response.   :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 07:21:20 AM »
Also, ill get news on tiktok.

How does that work? I usually just see clips of people complaining about their jobs online. I've never been on the platform, nor do I plan to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 07:31:48 AM »

How does that work? I usually just see clips of people complaining about their jobs online. I've never been on the platform, nor do I plan to.

It just shows up on your feed and I can choose to watch or swipe away, but their algorithm learns your behavior and the more you use it, the more you'll see things you are interested in.  Like tiktok must know I'm interested in the Russia war because I get a lot of news on the war, often stuff that shows up there before mainstream media.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 07:38:06 AM »

It just shows up on your feed and I can choose to watch or swipe away, but their algorithm learns your behavior and the more you use it, the more you'll see things you are interested in.  Like tiktok must know I'm interested in the Russia war because I get a lot of news on the war, often stuff that shows up there before mainstream media.

Oh, OK. Gotcha.
See, I learned something! ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »

Haha, them was the days, eh? :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 07:55:06 AM »

Oh, OK. Gotcha.
See, I learned something! ;D

Yeah, if you aren't going to use the app, you aren't likely to see it as those tiktoks aren't the ones that make the news (see what I did there?)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 07:58:06 AM »
I'm with Cram, I rely heavily on the NY Times Morning articles.  I also will read the Washington Post. I get emails from Yahoo; 85% of Yahoo is "Victoria Beckham shows off toned abs and internet goes crazy!" type stuff, but they do have news.  I get emails from CNN and Fox, and I read the headlines.  WHEN THEY DO NEWS, both sources are usually impeccable; I self-regulate as to whether it is actually news; both sites have a tendency to be less than clear when the piece is an OPINION piece, which I'm not at all interested in from ANY source.  I don't need others' OPINIONS, I need the facts in order to draw my OWN OPINIONS.  I get no self-affirmation from having my opinions buttressed by a news organization; I do get some sense that there are people for whom the affirmation is important.

In summary, for hard news, NY Times and WaPo.  I will read the Wall Street Journal, Forbes and the Economist if I need more information on a given subject.  Yahoo, CNN and Fox so's I'm not living in a bubble.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »
Some of you who know my background and what I do for a living will be surprised, but I try to avoid the news. I try not to read it every day. So much negativity to gain clicks and money. But when I do, I usually go to what are now considered liberal and conservative mediums to get both sides of the political spin, and then parse it out for myself. On news websites. I rarely read a physical newspaper any longer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 09:11:27 AM »
I usually listen to the Up First podcast from NPR in the morning
That's how I start every morning.  I also review headlines from places like Reuters, Time, and AP, and give Politico and Five Thirty Eight a quick scan.  I keep up with local and state news through our Spectrum Channel 1, which is quite good for that sort of thing, and our local PBS station, as well as the website for our local newspaper.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 09:51:01 AM »
Mostly TV news sites. But I know they're lying. Good to know the spin though.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 09:56:26 AM »
I don't consume it.  I chew up what little I do watch and then spit it back out.  Nothing but propaganda.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
Usually it's through AOLs news feeds, YouTube podcasts, and looking at random headlines I happen to see when opening my web browser on my phone. I don't to seeking out news though, if that makes sense.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JLa

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 12:41:51 PM »
Mostly online newspapers for me. I read the main Norwegian papers, and occasionally I'll dip in to BBC or CNN to get their perspective on things.

While I also notice, and look at posts from social media, I don't really pay any attention to it. Chances are it's heavily biased or manipulated one way or the other. It's just noise. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
Oh, and it should go without saying but I'll say it nonetheless: any tweet, post, or email that starts with "BREAKING!" I delete as a matter of course.  If I'm ever King of this country, putting "BREAKING!" on a piece of communication that isn't actually something life-threatening and immediate will be akin to yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater, punishable to the maximum extent of the law. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 01:18:38 PM »
Oh, and it should go without saying but I'll say it nonetheless: any tweet, post, or email that starts with "BREAKING!" I delete as a matter of course.  If I'm ever King of this country, putting "BREAKING!" on a piece of communication that isn't actually something life-threatening and immediate will be akin to yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater, punishable to the maximum extent of the law.

How do you feel about "EXTRA! EXTRA!"?

Also, what if it is breaking news?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »

Also, what if it is breaking news?

EXTRA! EXTRA! is okay, because it's from my generation, i.e. the '40's. 

And if it is breaking news, I'll hear about it eventually.   :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:32:07 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2022, 01:30:33 PM »

Only if it's followed by "Read all about it!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 01:37:29 PM »

Only if it's followed by "Read all about it!"

That's a dying medium as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »

If users of this forum are that sensitive to comments I made in that regard, then that supports the premise I proposed. No bait (although it could be argued that the FAUX bait was taken HERE). No assumptions....just awareness. I might also point out....any references to my comments being bait....facilitate the bait. True? I'm doing it myself RIGHT NOW for illustrative purposes....to make people THINK. Which is why....I've made my points.....I'm going to post the popcorn icon again and refrain from any further response.   :corn

Are you the Unknown Comic in disguise?

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 08:22:13 PM »
i’m a bit of a news junkie. i watch the news on TV every day, as well as visit various websites. Sad but true, I also get some news through Facebook.

Back in the day, I used to read the newspaper voraciously. Those were the days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 08:50:41 PM »
I read Twitter and just assume the most conservative and the most liberal people are both totally full of shit and then figure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Oh wait, was I supposed to give a serious answer?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 09:17:14 PM »
Breaking Points on YouTube. There are two hosts. He is conservative and she is liberal. Many times they agree with one another, and when they don't agree they almost always have a very interesting discussion about why.

For the most part they are both anti establishment in their views. I'd highly recommend the show to anyone.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »
Phone - I have Google News which aggregates stories from various services all over.

PC - Yahoo homepage and Google News.

TV - WGN Channel 9 in Chicago. They are not affiliated with any major studio, they are just Chicago's Very Own, WGN. They just report they news, the don't comment on it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:59:16 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 10:20:52 AM »
EXTRA! EXTRA! is okay, because it's from my generation, i.e. the '40's.

What kind of monster uses two apostrophes to abbreviate a decade?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman