Author Topic: Top 3/3/3 (Bands, Albums, Songs)  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Top 3/3/3 (Bands, Albums, Songs)
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2022, 10:11:39 AM »
Band: Iced Earth
Albums: Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Dark Saga, Burnt Offerings
Songs: The Coming Curse, Burning Times, Dante's Inferno

Band: Queensryche
Albums: Operation: Mindcrime, Rage for Order, The Warning
Songs: Eyes of a Stranger, The Mission, NM156

Band: Iron Maiden
Albums: Powerslave, The Number of the Beast, Brave New World
Songs: Hallowed Be Thy Name, Aces High, The Trooper

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »
So glad you still consider IE your favorite band, despite the drama. Such a killer catalog. Hoping one day they can reform, without Jon Schaffer, and do that catalog justice.

Be nice if Barlow spearheaded it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2022, 11:10:34 AM »
So glad you still consider IE your favorite band, despite the drama. Such a killer catalog. Hoping one day they can reform, without Jon Schaffer, and do that catalog justice.

I do - I don't listen to them as much since there's so much new music and other bands to revisit.  I don't see them forming a lineup without Jon though, it's solely his band.  Once his legal issues are behind him, we might see some more activity.  I did get the sense that he was using Kickstarter in 2020 to see if he can create income from projects not involving music, so I don't know how much more music he has left in him.  Especially after he goes to prison.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »
Artist: Kevin Gilbert
Albums: The Shaming of the True, Toy Matinee, Thud
Songs: Last Plane Out, Water Under the Bridge, Imagemaker (from The Shaming of the True)

Artist: Marillion
Albums: Brave, Clutching at Straws, Marbles
Songs: Grendel, The Invisible Man, The Great Escape

#3 I'm torn between:

The Dear Hunter
dredg
Fates Warning
Rush

So I let a Random Number Generator pick 1-4, and got 1, so I'm going with The Dear Hunter

Artist: The Dear Hunter
Albums: Act II, Act I, Act IV
Songs: His Hands Matched His Tongue, Mandala, Waves

a coworker of mine suggested given the idea is Bands, not Artists,, and Kevin Gilbert was part of many Bands, he doesn't count.

So I'm adding a 3rd Band to my pick.

Band: dredg
Albums: El Cielo, Catch Without Arms, Pariah
Songs: The Canyon Behind Her, Gathering Pebbles, Hungover on a Tuesday

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2022, 11:44:29 AM »

I do - I don't listen to them as much since there's so much new music and other bands to revisit.  I don't see them forming a lineup without Jon though, it's solely his band.  Once his legal issues are behind him, we might see some more activity.  I did get the sense that he was using Kickstarter in 2020 to see if he can create income from projects not involving music, so I don't know how much more music he has left in him.  Especially after he goes to prison.

My thought is that a band that plays IE music under a new name. Not IE specifically. Spearheaded by Barlow, possibly authorized by Jon. Too much good music to lay dormant.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »
a coworker of mine suggested given the idea is Bands, not Artists,, and Kevin Gilbert was part of many Bands, he doesn't count.

This is what kept me from considering Neal Morse to be in my list considering his participation in multiple bands that I like (Spock’s Beard, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, The Neal Morse Band).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
Opeth...All Things Will Pass

I waited one post too soon it seems.  And an unusual choice, especially to have a song from the latest album that high, though I did it for one of my other bands myself.  I presume this means you prefer the English version over the Swedish?

Actually, I prefer Swedish version. Its "foreign" feel just excites my imagination more and might be the reason why I like In Cauda Veneum even better than Pale Communion (which I also rate very high). I just couldn't recall the song title in Swedish (it is difficult to remember exact spelling if you don't speak the language) and didn't feel like stopping typing and searching for it.

I put Allting tar slut in the top 3 pretty much just for its final three minutes - for me, this has to be one of the most magical and moving sections in Rock/Metal ever.

I agree with you.  I've mentioned before how the ending of this song resolves the entire album.  Probably my favorite song of the "new Opeth".  But I still prefer the material on Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, Watershed etc..

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »
My first reaction to Katatonia was kind of similar, maybe just slightly more positive than yours.  I liked it - "hey, this is good, I should probably check them out more."  (That was Night is the New Day, the album after The Great Cold Distance.)  But it was something I thought I'd enjoy here and there; something different from what I normally listened to, but didn't expect it to go beyond that.  I didn't think "out loud" that the vocals would hold me back, but it was definitely something in my mind because I kind of put him in a category of singers like that; softer voice, not much range.  I could like it, but probably not love it.  Maybe that's all it'll ever be for you and even if it's just something you listen to on occasion when the mood strikes, that's cool; it's nice to have bands like that too.  But I do think that if you're going to like them more, it'll be something that grows on you.  That seems to be relatively common among other fans I've talked to, though I'm sure there are some who did love them right away as well.

For me, it was a few years and everything really clicked and I haven't been able to get enough of them since.

Yeah, I started with just half a dozen MP3s I downloaded.  I liked them, but they were just one of hundreds of other bands I liked a bit.  Got into Viva Emptiness sometime after it came out, then a little after kind of went nuts and bought most of their discography to that point, but they still weren't one of my top-tier bands yet.  Each album cycle I'd get into them a bit deeper, usually with major binges sometime before and/or after each new album, and it just kept snowballing.  I don't think it was until '14 or so after I'd finally seen them live and I kept coming back over and over again to Dead End Kings that I started considering them arguably my favorite band. 

My thought is that a band that plays IE music under a new name. Not IE specifically. Spearheaded by Barlow, possibly authorized by Jon. Too much good music to lay dormant.

I just don't think that'll happen.  IE has always been Jon's baby, and Matt isn't going to run with it since he's Jon's brother-in-law. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2022, 03:21:27 PM »
My first reaction to Katatonia was kind of similar, maybe just slightly more positive than yours.  I liked it - "hey, this is good, I should probably check them out more."  (That was Night is the New Day, the album after The Great Cold Distance.)  But it was something I thought I'd enjoy here and there; something different from what I normally listened to, but didn't expect it to go beyond that.  I didn't think "out loud" that the vocals would hold me back, but it was definitely something in my mind because I kind of put him in a category of singers like that; softer voice, not much range.  I could like it, but probably not love it.  Maybe that's all it'll ever be for you and even if it's just something you listen to on occasion when the mood strikes, that's cool; it's nice to have bands like that too.  But I do think that if you're going to like them more, it'll be something that grows on you.  That seems to be relatively common among other fans I've talked to, though I'm sure there are some who did love them right away as well.

For me, it was a few years and everything really clicked and I haven't been able to get enough of them since.

Yeah, I started with just half a dozen MP3s I downloaded.  I liked them, but they were just one of hundreds of other bands I liked a bit.  Got into Viva Emptiness sometime after it came out, then a little after kind of went nuts and bought most of their discography to that point, but they still weren't one of my top-tier bands yet.  Each album cycle I'd get into them a bit deeper, usually with major binges sometime before and/or after each new album, and it just kept snowballing.  I don't think it was until '14 or so after I'd finally seen them live and I kept coming back over and over again to Dead End Kings that I started considering them arguably my favorite band. 

My experience was very much like this, except over a shorter time period - from Night is the New Day to after Dead End Kings had been out for a few months.  And Dead End Kings is the one that did it for me. It probably could have been Night is the New Day had I started listening to them earlier; I think I needed that time for them to grow and maybe for me to be in the right headspace.  I did see them open for Opeth and liked them better than Opeth and had intentions of following up, but it didn't happen until Dead End Kings.  And I played Dead End Kings again and again and again and it wasn't that I loved the whole album at once; it was this song, and then that song, and then that song.  And I remember where I was for many of the songs.  Then I bought the discography and what a period of discovery that was.  I really enjoyed hearing the evolution of the band and yet how that had that something from the beginning.  And the evolution of Jonas' vocals; from harsh to very tentative clean, and improving with each album. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2022, 03:49:06 PM »
Band: Pink Floyd
Albums: Animals, The Wall, Wish You Were Here
Songs: Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, Echoes

Band: Dire Straits
Albums: Making Movies, Love Over Gold, Dire Straits
Songs: Tunnel of Love, Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing

Band: Genesis
Albums: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme
Songs: Supper's Ready, Driving The Last Spike, The Musical Box

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »
And because I have precisely 6 favourite bands/artists, divided into 3 'old' (i.e before I was old enough to see them live) and 3 new, here are the other 'newer' 3:

Band: Dream Theater
Albums: Scenes, Train of Thought, Awake
Songs: A Change of Seasons, Home, Misunderstood

Band: Elliott Smith (guy in my avatar)
Albums: Either/Or, X/O, From a Basement on the Hill
Songs: Between The Bars, King's Crossing, Say Yes

Band: Godspeed You Black Emperor
Albums: Lift Your Skinny Fists Likes Antennas to Heaven, F#A# Infinity, Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada
Songs: Storm, Sleep, Providence

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2022, 04:13:23 PM »
And I played Dead End Kings again and again and again and it wasn't that I loved the whole album at once; it was this song, and then that song, and then that song.  And I remember where I was for many of the songs.

Yeah, pretty much the same.  The weird thing is that I listened to it a ton in '12 when it came out ("The Parting", "Dead Letters" and "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" were the first standouts), some but not all that much in '13, but then in '14 in the fall I probably listened to it even more than I did in '12.  "The Racing Heart" and "Hypnone" were the most played tracks during that period.  It seems kind of rare to find fans who are really into that album, it's often considered the ugly duckling of their discography (lowest rating on Rate Your Music until City Burials came out, for example). 

Online WardySI

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »
Band: Iced Earth
Albums: Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Dark Saga, Burnt Offerings
Songs: The Coming Curse, Burning Times, Dante's Inferno

Band: Queensryche
Albums: Operation: Mindcrime, Rage for Order, The Warning
Songs: Eyes of a Stranger, The Mission, NM156

Band: Iron Maiden
Albums: Powerslave, The Number of the Beast, Brave New World
Songs: Hallowed Be Thy Name, Aces High, The Trooper

What's your take on Demons & Wizards then Grapp? As much as I loved the last Iced Earth I thought III was even better!?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2022, 07:53:45 PM »
And I played Dead End Kings again and again and again and it wasn't that I loved the whole album at once; it was this song, and then that song, and then that song.  And I remember where I was for many of the songs.

Yeah, pretty much the same.  The weird thing is that I listened to it a ton in '12 when it came out ("The Parting", "Dead Letters" and "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" were the first standouts), some but not all that much in '13, but then in '14 in the fall I probably listened to it even more than I did in '12.  "The Racing Heart" and "Hypnone" were the most played tracks during that period.  It seems kind of rare to find fans who are really into that album, it's often considered the ugly duckling of their discography (lowest rating on Rate Your Music until City Burials came out, for example).

I took my reply to the Katatonia thread so as not to further derail Samsara's thread. :) 

(But Samsara, if you want us to talk more about Katatonia here, I'm sure we won't mind... but at least - don't feel like not being that into them at first means that you'll never be.)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2022, 10:01:19 PM »
What's your take on Demons & Wizards then Grapp? As much as I loved the last Iced Earth I thought III was even better!?

III felt like a letdown.  The debut is one of my favorite albums and it always takes me back to when it came out.  Full-on Iced Earth music with Hansi's vocals.  On III, Jon and Hansi specifically pulled back from the power metal style to get more of a classic rock feel.  So the album isn't as balls to the wall as I wanted after all those years.  Hansi is always great, but I wanted a heavier record - a bunch of songs like Diabolic, which just rips.  The true loss was that they were going to release the live Wacken show on DVD, but Jon's actions put that release on the shelf.  They were on fire that night, with a cool stage and backup vocalists. 

That's a fascinating idea, but I don't see Matt ever stepping on Jon's toes, even when he's in jail.  I've resigned myself to believing that the band will be fairly dormant - an occasional release like the Bang Your Head live record and plenty of merch-slinging to raise money. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
The true loss was that they were going to release the live Wacken show on DVD, but Jon's actions put that release on the shelf.  They were on fire that night, with a cool stage and backup vocalists.

Is that this show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otoWZd64aB4

Funny you mention the backup vocalists, lots of firepower there, including a recent round one roulette winner.  I like Hansi, but he's my fourth favorite vocalist of the five. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:57:56 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:19 AM »
I'm kind of surprised I'm the only one with Opeth in my top three.  I feel like if we'd done this 10-20 years ago they'd be much more common.

Yeah 10 years ago they would be very high for me but I guess the combination of them really falling off with Heritage and forward (not terrible albums just a musical direction that I don't find very exciting at all) and me discovering other bands have made them fall down a bit. But Opeth from Orchid to Watershed is still something very close to my heart.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2022, 01:28:20 AM »

Band: Dire Straits
Albums: Making Movies, Love Over Gold, Dire Straits
Songs: Tunnel of Love, Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing

Great pick, Dire Straits don't get enough love around here.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online WardySI

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2022, 04:47:34 AM »

III felt like a letdown.  The debut is one of my favorite albums and it always takes me back to when it came out.  Full-on Iced Earth music with Hansi's vocals.  On III, Jon and Hansi specifically pulled back from the power metal style to get more of a classic rock feel.  So the album isn't as balls to the wall as I wanted after all those years.  Hansi is always great, but I wanted a heavier record - a bunch of songs like Diabolic, which just rips.  The true loss was that they were going to release the live Wacken show on DVD, but Jon's actions put that release on the shelf.  They were on fire that night, with a cool stage and backup vocalists. 

That's a fascinating idea, but I don't see Matt ever stepping on Jon's toes, even when he's in jail.  I've resigned myself to believing that the band will be fairly dormant - an occasional release like the Bang Your Head live record and plenty of merch-slinging to raise money.

Yep fair and I admit to not really investing in D&W properly until III probably why I loved it but since going back through the previous two records yep can appreciate your comments. 

That said Ive tired somewhat of the fast as we can triplicate stuff over the years and do like the changes (for example the slower and out of the box tunes are the best on the latest Blind Guardian IMO) so do think there's plenty great stuff on III regardless, love it!

Cheers.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
The true loss was that they were going to release the live Wacken show on DVD, but Jon's actions put that release on the shelf.  They were on fire that night, with a cool stage and backup vocalists.

Is that this show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otoWZd64aB4

Funny you mention the backup vocalists, lots of firepower there, including a recent round one roulette winner.  I like Hansi, but he's my fourth favorite vocalist of the five.

Yeah - Demons was contracted to put out 2 studio records and a live album/dvd.  Those plans all went up in smoke, especially after Hansi left the band. 

Yep fair and I admit to not really investing in D&W properly until III probably why I loved it but since going back through the previous two records yep can appreciate your comments. 

That said Ive tired somewhat of the fast as we can triplicate stuff over the years and do like the changes (for example the slower and out of the box tunes are the best on the latest Blind Guardian IMO) so do think there's plenty great stuff on III regardless, love it!

Cheers.

I haven't listened for a while and should give it another spin - I like a few of the songs, but it just started sounding "samey" to me.  Hansi did sound amazing on the album though it felt tainted to me after some initial disappointment and then watching Jon's ranting and raving on a few 2020 livestreams. 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »
1- Dream Theater
Albums: Awake, Images & Words, SDOIT
Songs: Learning To Live, Scarred, Octavarium

2- Enigma
Albums: Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!, MCMXC a.D., The Cross of Changes
Songs: Principles of Lust, Return to Innocence, Mea Culpa!

3- Pink Floyd
Albums: Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here
Songs: Us and Them, Hey You, Learning To Fly
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.