Author Topic: "The Pandemic Is Over"  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: "The Pandemic Is Over"
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
What is society, if not a collective of individuals?

I'm not talking about the collective or what society represents.  I'm talking about individuals as a contribution to the collective, which means taking personal responsibility as a part of the whole.

You can't take personal responsibility for a systemic problem.

Why not?   I personally think that "systemic problem" is really a code word to AVOID personal responsibility more often than not. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2022, 09:58:04 AM »
How do I take personal responsibility for the air quality of the Manhattan B train during rush hour if I am a 9-5 worker with no ability to work flexible hours?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »
How do I take personal responsibility for the air quality of the Manhattan B train during rush hour if I am a 9-5 worker with no ability to work flexible hours?

You may not DIRECTLY. But maybe you make a priority of improving your situation to allow for other modes of transportation.  Or maybe you do a little bit extra to do your part to offset that contribution of the Manhattan B train during rush hour. 

"The collective" works both ways.  So often the "labor" argument is "well, Jack Welch couldn't have made his billions if I wasn't gluing together two pieces of plastic to make some portion of the 20 million circuit breakers GE sold".   If you can take responsibility for that, you can take responsibility for your share of the air quality degradation of the Manhattan B train during rush hour.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »

Did the goal post just move?  We're not talking about air quality.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
I have been for a page or so...
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2022, 12:49:18 PM »

You may not DIRECTLY. But maybe you make a priority of improving your situation to allow for other modes of transportation.  Or maybe you do a little bit extra to do your part to offset that contribution of the Manhattan B train during rush hour. 

"The collective" works both ways.  So often the "labor" argument is "well, Jack Welch couldn't have made his billions if I wasn't gluing together two pieces of plastic to make some portion of the 20 million circuit breakers GE sold".   If you can take responsibility for that, you can take responsibility for your share of the air quality degradation of the Manhattan B train during rush hour.

"The collective" is why I say that even though there is really no one to blame, we are all at fault for the degradation in the quality of the air, water, and soil.

It's also why I say that if things want to change, it's going to take an entire shift of mindset and lifestyle. And with the comforts of life humans desire, do you think humans will easily give up those comforts for the betterment of the quality of the air, water, soil, and overall for the betterment of the quality of life?

https://youtu.be/jOht6qmuG-k

It's going to take "The collective" to realize and shift their mindsets and lifestyles for these big changes to actually show some sort of effect. Just like how "The collective" effected the quality of the air, soil, and water for centuries and we are facing those consequences today.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD