Author Topic: "The Pandemic Is Over"  (Read 4828 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "The Pandemic Is Over"
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 06:14:58 AM »
I've pretty much stopped wearing masks unless I'm on an airplane. Pre-pandemic if I was flying somewhere chances were high I was going to get sick and wearing one on a plane seems to help with that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2022, 06:28:32 AM »
My attitude is still, I will wear a mask if it is required, but otherwise, no.  When I went to Metro Imagining last week to get X-rays, masks were required the whole time, and I was fine putting one on for the entirety of my time.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2022, 06:31:59 AM »
Count me in among those who'd like to see, during the flu months (October to February say), a mandatory use of masks on public transports.

Did we need a serious pandemic to understand that it's not ideal to have people sneezing on each other while crammed inside a tiny place? apparently yes, after all we needed the Titanic to sink to realize that if you have X passengers on board, you need space on lifeboats for X people.

No thanks with the mandatory; I'm good with personal choice.  I would never make fun of you or look at you weird if you wear one, but I'm with Cram; I bring one, so I always have it, but it would take something significant for me to wear it.  I've flown now maybe three times and have stopped wearing them on the plane for the most part. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2022, 07:40:36 AM »
My attitude is still, I will wear a mask if it is required, but otherwise, no.
Same here. Other than medical facilities, it's been several months since I've been required to wear one anywhere and I haven't felt nervous or unsafe anywhere. But I certainly don't judge anyone who wants to wear one.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 07:57:51 AM »
I have to wear a mask at work.

Besides that, life continues for me just as it was.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
Bros, I've had the wu-flu 3 times now. The face maxi pads don't do shit.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2022, 02:00:13 PM »
How long before this gets moved to P&R...

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2022, 02:13:50 PM »
Yea honestly no matter how much better things get, I think a mask on the New York City trains is just a smart idea at this point.  :lol

It was a smart idea 40 years ago. Keep the smell down.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »
I actually think having to wear a mask in a densely populated urban city reveals a lot about how Urban cities have unhealthy conditions to live under.

In Japan, it's pretty comical in the terms of "Man plans, Nature laughs."
https://metropolisjapan.com/hay-fever-japan/
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/03/22/lifestyle/hay-fever-nothing-to-sneeze-at/#.Wo3VTINuapo (This one's under a paywall, I am not paying to read it, but I will post anyways for those that do)

Living in a Rural environment is not the same as living in an Urban environment. Being in different environments is one reason why humans perceive life differently. Due to their different environments, they require different forms and ways of utilizing the land around them to sustain themselves. All of this effects the health of a person, and also their perspective on life decisions and risks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »
I only wore a mask when I was forced to. I'm vaxed and just haven't worried about it. I traveled several times before being vaxed and have been to numerous concerts. I wore a mask once out of respect to my son who was very into the masking.

I did wear a mask for 2 days last week - even in my house! - as we are near a big fire in CA, and the air quality was between 200 and 400. 0-50 is healthy. Much more concerned about breathing ash than covid - or any other virus. I am getting up there in age, the more antibodies I can make, the better!

But anyone who wants to mask, sure :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2022, 08:32:06 AM »

You're supposed to wear it over your face, not your crotch.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »

I’d imagine they don’t. You shouldn’t be wearing feminine hygiene devices on your face however. They were not designed to help with Covid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2022, 08:49:38 AM »
I know you all are joking, but I thought that the cloth masks were fairly ineffective against Omnicron.  I mean, I think they are fairly ineffective in general against covid (something like under 10% effectiveness).  I'd hope anyone who is wearing a mask to really get the most benefit from covid would be wearing a N95 mask at this point. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2022, 08:51:14 AM »
I know you all are joking, but I thought that the cloth masks were fairly ineffective against Omnicron.  I mean, I think they are fairly ineffective in general against covid (something like under 10% effectiveness).  I'd hope anyone who is wearing a mask to really get the most benefit from covid would be wearing a N95 mask at this point.

For sure. I just wear KN95s at this point. I am not sure how effective the standard hospital masks are, but I see those a lot too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2022, 08:57:22 AM »
I thought we had come to the consensus that masks don't protect the wearer. They protect those around you?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2022, 08:58:29 AM »
I thought we had come to the consensus that masks don't protect the wearer. They protect those around you?
I think the point is that cloth masks don't protect anyone all that well.

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:01 AM »

I think they do both, but they are more effective at protecting others. That said, they do protect (the right kinds of masks) to varying degrees. It's not 100%, but nothing is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
Sure, but I still think if you are ill and need to be around other people, wear a mask, preferably a medical grade one if available.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2022, 09:03:22 AM »

That was what I was kind of saying, cloth masks aren't doing too much.  It made sense in 2020 and other times when hospitals are full so even a small % of effectiveness makes a difference in the big picture, especially when mandated so everyone is wearing them.  Just not sure what the point is, regarding usage for covid, today unless that slight effectiveness is still worth it for you. If so, that's cool, I would just recommend a real mask like N95 to offer much better protection. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2022, 09:39:06 AM »

I’d imagine they don’t. You shouldn’t be wearing feminine hygiene devices on your face however. They were not designed to help with Covid.

They are designed for...flow-vid.

...sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:34 AM »

..........I've never loved you more.  :rollin :rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
Sure, but I still think if you are ill and need to be around other people, wear a mask, preferably a medical grade one if available.

The highest percentage of protection when you're ill is to not be around other people.  You know, the quarantine thing? :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »

They are designed for...flow-vid.

...sorry.

I'll allow it.

As for masks: FFP2/3 masks (KN95 or N95 for you godless yanks) are at least 95% efficient at filtering out particles of 0.3 micron in size, and can exceed that efficiency for smaller AND larger particles. Cloth masks, depending on the exact material, are definitely worse at filtering smaller droplets smaller than 0.3 micron as they don't electrostatically filter like non-woven N95 masks do, so they will be worse at protecting you from breathing in viruses attached to small droplets (which is exactly what is likely to be hanging around in the atmosphere, since large droplets instead tend to fall to the floor rather than remain suspended in the air).

However, cloth masks do still filter large droplets pretty efficiently on average (again, material dependent) and since when you exhale, the droplets with viral loads tend to be on the larger side, the masks do serve to reduce the amount (or at least the rate of increase) of virus in the local atmosphere in the event that YOU are spreading them. Hence, if everyone wears masks, the overall numbers of virus in room are reduced, and the probability that you breathe in whatever viruses ARE in the atmosphere is also reduced, the exact reduction depending on the type of mask.

On the other hand, if a few infected peeps decides to show up maskless in a badly ventilated space, the virus concentration in a given space skyrockets, and given mask filtration is stochastic in nature, the law of large numbers eventually guarantees a critical number will get through and you become infected. To use an analogy, seatbelts work, but there's only so much they can do if you do 170 straight into a cliff.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:38:18 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »

The highest percentage of protection when you're ill is to not be around other people.  You know, the quarantine thing? :justjen

Sure, but thats not always possible. Businesses are no longer giving paid time off with a positive test, hell - lots of businesses dont even offer PTO. Parents still send kids to school sick - thats always been a thing even pre-covid. If we, as a society, could at least agree to mask when ill that would be nice lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2022, 10:51:58 AM »

You also have to wash the cloth masks consistently. And I wonder how many people were actually washing those cloth masks consistently enough as well.

Chknptpie beat me to it.

The way our society functions, it does not allow for human flaws. Hence why businesses never bothered with sick time off. Although, they should because humanity means a lot more than pushing a product. Even if that means the product will be delayed by several months and people will have to be patient.

It's what happened with many products and we do see people not being patient and wanting their desires, wants and needs met as if stopping the production of the worlds resources didn't effect production in any sort of way.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2022, 11:10:39 AM »
Hmmm, No PTO so you go to work sick anyway and expose others who also may not have PTO.  That's make a lot of sense.  Here's what I would do, PTO or not.  STAY HOME WHEN YOU'RE SICK!  Unless, you're going to the doctor.  It's as simple as that.  You would want others to do the same.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2022, 11:15:46 AM »
Hmmm, No PTO so you go to work sick anyway and expose others who also may not have PTO.  That's make a lot of sense.  Here's what I would do, PTO or not.  STAY HOME WHEN YOU'RE SICK!  Unless, you're going to the doctor.  It's as simple as that.  You would want others to do the same.

But is it feasible if you're living paycheck to paycheck like many Americans are. Would you risk spreading sickness if it meant that you will still be able to pay your rent for the month, and that's not including the money for food, clothes, and if you have kids thats more additional expenses to add onto the already used up paycheck.

See, if our society wants humans to stay home when sick and prevent any more illness, it needs to have things in place so people can still afford to miss work and continue to pay their rent or any other expense our society dictates money must be spent on.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2022, 11:27:06 AM »

But is it feasible if you're living paycheck to paycheck like many Americans are. Would you risk spreading sickness if it meant that you will still be able to pay your rent for the month, and that's not including the money for food, clothes, and if you have kids thats more additional expenses to add onto the already used up paycheck.

See, if our society wants humans to stay home when sick and prevent any more illness, it needs to have things in place so people can still afford to miss work and continue to pay their rent or any other expense our society dictates money must be spent on.

No, I don't see.  It's up to individuals, not society.  If I'm living paycheck to paycheck, that's on me, not anyone else.  Individuals are responsible to have things in place.  I don't make excuses for others or myself.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »
What is society, if not a collective of individuals?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2022, 11:50:34 AM »

No, I don't see.  It's up to individuals, not society.  If I'm living paycheck to paycheck, that's on me, not anyone else.  Individuals are responsible to have things in place.  I don't make excuses for others or myself.

Exactly. But the reality is...there are many humans who are living paycheck to paycheck, even if it's their fault. It's unfortunate for them, but if they're at least trying to better themselves and get themselves out of the hole, I wouldn't mind extending my hand to help them out and lead them on their way to a better lifestyle.

I'm not one to just sit there, laugh and gloat at someone else's misfortunes.

Also, humans have mental health issues that prevent them from actually doing things for themselves and getting themselves out of that hole. There are humans who just are not capable of this due to those issues. And why they have them is another discussion altogether.

I will tell you about the younger generation now moving back in, or still living with their parents because they can't afford their own homes and are finding it financially more feasible to live with their parents while still generating income.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2017/08/young-adults.html

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-the-pandemic-is-forcing-millennials-to-move-back-home-with-their-parents

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 12:37:38 PM »

I'm not talking about the collective or what society represents.  I'm talking about individuals as a contribution to the collective, which means taking personal responsibility as a part of the whole.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 01:01:56 PM »

But individuals who subsume their individuality into the collective.  E pluribus unum.  From many, one.  Dubleagent may not be expressing it in the kindest way (sorry boss), but I lean towards him on this.  We have gotten nowhere in our society by forcing others to do our bidding for us, for, in many cases, forcing others to do what we won't do ourselves. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2022, 08:50:31 AM »
Waddaya mean I'm not kind?  I'm just not your kind. :p  :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2022, 09:03:03 AM »
Honestly, improving your hand washing is likely going to protect you best during cold/flu season.  I'm not talking about hand sanitizer.  Just wash those dirty mofo hands.   :heart

I still wear masks on occasion.  If I have a tickle in my throat or a runny nose, I try to protect others just in case.  Mostly I wear a surgical mask.  If/when I do wear an N95, I nestle it inside of my clean, tight fitting cloth mask that has the most comfortable ear loops.  Is that properly fitted to my face as tightly as it would wearing the N95 loops?  Probably not.  But it seems to work well for me.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »

I'm not talking about the collective or what society represents.  I'm talking about individuals as a contribution to the collective, which means taking personal responsibility as a part of the whole.

You can't take personal responsibility for a systemic problem.