Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19186 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #4 United Orange Things
« Reply #420 on: October 10, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »

So there were two singers on stage that night?  Michael and the guy that took his spot after he left? That must've been pretty cool.

Yes. The Helloween reunion returned singer Michael Kiske and original guitarist Kai Hansen, who actually sang on their first album when the band was just a 4 piece. But no one left so they're a 7-piece band with two singers and three guitarists.

Their first album was a lot more Thrashy than Power Metal, so the Kai Section of the concert was a damn frenzy.

I've always said that Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt.1 is to Power Metal as Images & Words is to Progressive Metal. It is the blueprint for the genre.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: October 10, 2022, 02:31:45 PM »
Your first concert had a pretty awesome DL setlist.  I'd love to see that set today.

I never really got into Helloween.  I can see why you rate it highly because of Kiske though since you've shared your feeling for him in the Avantasia thread.  I probably should give Helloween a chance though, I just remember not liking it when I tried many years ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
Your first concert had a pretty awesome DL setlist.  I'd love to see that set today.

It was a cool time to be a Def Leppard fan. The ONLY cool time to be a Def Leppard fan.  :lol

I never really got into Helloween.  I can see why you rate it highly because of Kiske though since you've shared your feeling for him in the Avantasia thread.  I probably should give Helloween a chance though, I just remember not liking it when I tried many years ago.

They have a large discography and I don't know what you checked out. If you watch any of the United Alive footage from a couple of years ago, that'd be quite representative of what they're like today as a full band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #423 on: October 11, 2022, 07:34:42 AM »

It was a cool time to be a Def Leppard fan. The ONLY cool time to be a Def Leppard fan.  :lol

I saw the March show when they opened for Billy Squier.  I LOVE Billy Squier, and he put on a great show, but he STILL got blown off the stage by Def Leppard.  They were a live force to be reckoned with.  I get that it might be age, and the fact that DL was like my second or third concert (second, I just checked) but it seemed like back then you could tell a lot easier who was going to be great and who wasn't.  I saw Maiden, Leppard, Bon Jovi, and Queensryche as opening bands, and maybe it's hindsight, or wishful thinking, but I feel like I could tell that they were going to be more than opening acts in the future (every one except for QR has headlined stadiums at some point later on).   And I feel like that wasn't always the case.  I don't want to name names, but one of Maiden's opening acts and one of Kiss's opening acts... didn't leave me with that impression, let's say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2022, 08:18:06 AM »
Sometimes it's just that simple, the opening band has "it".

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #5 My First Concert!
« Reply #425 on: October 11, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »
Weird.. I went to shake Stadler's hand tonight...

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :heart :heart
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
re: Helloween show

I had a ticket to LA and couldn't go. So incredibly jealous, Tim. I have tickets to both LA and San Fran for next year. Here's hoping that despite the new record, I get to see just as much Keeper 1 and 2 material.

Kiske still sounds amazing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #3. Flying
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2022, 02:06:28 PM »
3. UFO

June 14th, 1986
The Living Room, Providence

Setlist:
Heaven's Gate
The Chase
Meanstreets
Too Hot to Handle
Name of Love
The Only Ones
Wreckless
Night Run
Only You Can Rock Me
Lights Out
Doctor Doctor
Shoot Shoot

So..you guys know I'm a huge UFO fan. They basically broke down/broke up in the Spring of 1983.
About a year and a half later, Phil Mogg reemerged and was putting together a new band. It wasn't originally to be called UFO. Apparently Yngwie met with him and thought he was so out of it that Yngwie took the offer from Graham Bonnet to join Alcatrazz.
In 1985, UFO released Misdeameanor. It was available as an Import and I got it! It was released un the US in 1986, but it was remixed with way more keyboards. It was nowhere near as good.
The lineup was:
Phil Mogg
Paul Raymond...former UFO/MSG/Waysted member  (I love the guy! RIP)
Paul Gray...Former The Damned bassist who took over for Billy Sheehan on that final fateful 1983 tour.
Jim Simpson...ex Magnum drummer
Tommy McClendon aka Atomic Tommy M on guitar. A Mike Varney find in LA.

Pro sot video from Oxford UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGCCITHDVM

Video Bootleg from Vienna 1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URSRBbxIyM

I have quoted my post from The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread.

June 14, 1986

STORYTIME!!!

I was so excited when it was announced that UFO would be playing at The Living Room in Providence on June 14, 1986. It would be a couple of weeks after I graduated high school. I was 17.

There were a number of obstacles.

First, I had to convince my parents, or my father really, to let me go. This was at a club. I had been to many concerts by this point, but none would be at a club, or this late at night.

Second, in Massachusetts, anyone under 18 could not drive after midnight. With it being so late, I can't remember exactly where my father stood on taking us. Before I got my license, my father would take us to Providence, and keep himself busy while me and my friends were in the Civic Center. We would always meet him at the same spot. I am so grateful for the many times he did this for me.

As luck would have it, a girl I worked with, who was a couple of years older than me, her husband was a big UFO fan. He was also 23. I had met him a few times. So I bought his ticket, and the plan was that he would drive my car home. So now I had convince my father to let some dude 6 years older than me, who he didn't know, to drive us home at 1:00 am.

I have NO IDEA how I pulled it off. I know my father respected and knew I had a real love of music. And I was a good kid. I made a promise to myself that day. No beers. No weed. And I held it.

We drove to downtown Providence in the afternoon. It was pretty early. Now there are many hotels in Providence. But right in the center, we decided to hang outside of The Biltmore. It was the nicest hotel in the city. Not sure why. Not sure how. But we did. Now this is going to sound unbelievable, but we couldn't have been out there more than 15-20 minutes, and out the front door walks fucking Phil Mogg! :omg:

He was cool. We chatted and he agreed to take a couple of pictures.

Two of my best friends are on the right, and the short guy with the glasses is the guy that drove us home. He's actually wearing a Mechanix tour shirt, which he would end up giving to me.

We probably hung around another hour or so. Bass player Paul Gray also came out and he freaking cool as hell.

A bit later on, the tour bus pulled up, and they all ran onto the bus. I did have a hotel postcard that went onto the bus, and someone handed it to me with all of their signatures, including Paul Raymond. Unfortunately, that has not survived. We followed the bus to the venue. They went in for soundcheck, and we went to grab a bite to eat. We were back so when the doors opened, we were first in line.
We got our spots right at the stage.

Even though it was really a bastardized version of UFO, it was still Phil Mogg, but having Paul Raymond meant a lot to me. Not only was he part of the Classic UFO lineup, but he is also instrumental on MSG.

It was a long day, but the payoff was UFO finally taking the stage. I smuggled my camera and two extra roles of film. Prettty sure they were 36 roles, and for many shows, I might get a handful of good shots per role. For this show, changing film twice during the show, I got so many great shots.

Apparently I would have a conversation with someone this night that would pay some UFO related dividends six years down the road....

Not including days with my kids, or days when I was a kid with my parents, June 14, 1986 would be a Top 5 Tim Only Day. The next day, after developing my pics, I simply could not believe the previous day went off as it did.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #3 Flying
« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2022, 02:18:28 PM »
I love your stories where you met the band earlier in the day, got some pictures, and then saw them up close and got some more pictures of the show with the band almost looking like they are posing for your pictures.  It shows a real, human, connection between the band and fans.  It's something that still can happen today, but not every band is that friendly or interested because of how common it is today, but I'd imagine back then it was really special.  No internet to find where the band might be, just pure luck and dedication. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: October 11, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »
I love your stories where you met the band earlier in the day, got some pictures, and then saw them up close and got some more pictures of the show with the band almost looking like they are posing for your pictures.  It shows a real, human, connection between the band and fans.  It's something that still can happen today, but not every band is that friendly or interested because of how common it is today, but I'd imagine back then it was really special.  No internet to find where the band might be, just pure luck and dedication.

This exactly.

I remember commenting on this show in the UFO thread - Paul Gray is holding a Miller Beer, the champagne of beers, and my personal go-to American beer - but I don't remember that Pete Way WASN'T there.   Tim, did you ever see Pete Way live?   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2022, 03:57:20 PM »
That pro shot video of this tour is really cool.  I enjoyed it a lot for what it is.  Not classic UFO but very enjoyable.  I thought both Misdeameanor and Ain't Misbehaving were really enjoyable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: October 11, 2022, 04:26:27 PM »
I remember commenting on this show in the UFO thread - Paul Gray is holding a Miller Beer, the champagne of beers, and my personal go-to American beer - but I don't remember that Pete Way WASN'T there.   

Pete Way left after the Mechanix tour to form Fastway with Fast Eddie Clark. Fastway signed with Columbia I think, but Chrysalis wouldn't let Pete out of his contract to jump labels, so he basically gave away his songs.

Instead, he stayed with Chrysalis and formed Waysted.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #432 on: October 11, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »
The UFO show sounds like an amazing experience for young TAC.

You seem to have a knack for meeting band members before or after shows. That makes for some great memories.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2022, 05:14:21 AM »
Yet another great story and set of pics.

I had a similar tee shirt at the time 😀

Great legs btw😉

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2022, 09:38:32 AM »
TAC, I love this UFO write up.  It's great when you meet a band and they're cool, and then they also put on a great show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »
You seem to have a knack for meeting band members before or after shows. That makes for some great memories.

My inner Forrest Gump.

TAC, I love this UFO write up.  It's great when you meet a band and they're cool, and then they also put on a great show.

Thanks Lethean.

Great legs btw😉

I was rocking a great look, wasn't I?
Mullet..check
Tube socks...check
High top Nikes with shorts...check
Double laces...check

It does look ridiculous.....check! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »
I can't really rip on your outfit when Phil looks much worse  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #437 on: October 12, 2022, 01:34:47 PM »
I can't really rip on your outfit when Phil looks much worse  :lol

I was thinking the same. :lol

We all looked pretty silly in the eighties. We just didn’t know it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »

Mullet..check
Tube socks...check
Double laces...check

But no BATTLE JACKET?!  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
That jacket is for anything else other than a battle. :lol

Working on my update right now...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #2 Update In Time
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2022, 01:56:48 PM »
2.  Iron Maiden
       Waysted

March 30, 1987
Civic Center, Providence

Iron Maiden:
Caught Somewhere in Time
2 Minutes to Midnight
Children of the Damned
Stranger in a Strange Land
Wasted Years
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Guitar Solo-Walking On Air
Heaven Can Wait
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Running Free

Waysted:
Toy With the Passion
Won't Get Out Alive
Heaven Tonight
Singing to the Night
Heroes Die Young
Wild Night
Walls Fall Down

My all time favorite audience bootleg! Troy, NY
I find this to be so realistic and accurately shows what a Maiden show was really like
Nice view of Nicko too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4

Pro shot in Philly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EE-YR4fi4

One camera pro shot in Paris (mostly on Bruce)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AchE4Ua4zE

Waysted-Sheffield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVLRTU3N8c

When Somewhere In Time came out, I thought it was their best album to date. I was very disappointed with Powerslave and the whole Live After Death experience. At the time, I thought it was all quite cliche. Somewhere In Time, on the other hand, sounded so fresh. It had a number of longer songs without them continually telling me they wrote long songs.
While I attended the Powerslave show, I was pumped for the Somewhere In Time show.

When people talking about setlist spoilers, I always think of this show. This is when you had no idea what a band was going to play until they played it.

Starting the show is Caught Somewhere In Time. This is my #3 all time favorite Maiden song. I do remember the intro to the show taking forever. Children Of The Damned was played third and I was so happy. It's also a Top 10 track, and I simply wasn't expecting it.

I remember wondering why the hell they were playing Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. Where was Alexander??
But the big shock that came out of nowhere was when they went into Phantom Of The Opera. Those first notes sent me into a frenzy. It was literally the last thing I was expecting.

What also made this show special was having Waysted open. yeah, they're a nobody to most every fan, but it was special for me. Waysted was formed after Pete Way, who left UFO to form Fastway, only to be unable to get out of his contract to change labels. Waysted were touring their third album and first with American vocalist Danny Vaughn, who would go on to form Tyketto.
Also part of the band was former UFO guitarist Paul Chapman, the man who played in UFO, both along with Michael Schenker in the early days, and then after Schenker left.
So I was seeing in front of me both Pete Way and Paul Chapman. Unforgettable for me.

Some pics!

Waysted!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: October 12, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »
What an amazing combo and both bands I guess in their prime you would say.  Incredible that you saw Walking On Air live in the flesh.  I always loved that live piece.

Seeing Chapman and Way together here would have been amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2022, 03:26:53 PM »

Great legs btw😉

Mullet..check
Tube socks...check
Double laces...check

Not in the least.
Mullet?  Really?  Doesn't look like it.  At least no cheesy mustache as mine at the time :D
Tube socks:  I'd have been wearing knee high whites.
High tops:  I had Converse 
Shorts:  Mine would have been white, blue, or maroon.
Double laces:  well ...yeah.... :lol
Ok, I guess I looked ridiculous as well....

I've only done a handful of concerts in the first five rows.  How you managed to not to have diminished hearing.....

I know what each of those bands mean (meant) to you.
These write ups!!!!  And all those pix!!!  How you can take them while fist pumping or raising your at the time nonarthritic metal horns is beyond me :metal
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
2.  Iron Maiden
       Waysted

March 30, 1987
Civic Center, Providence

One of those shows that I thought was really cool at the time but have almost no recollection of. Unlike you I was a big Powerslave fan, and I think I thought the show was a letdown after the previous World Slavery gig, which wasn't all that long before.

Waysted was funny. I always figured they were just a myth because they always cancelled their Dallas support gigs. I was supposed to see them 2 or 3 times and never did. In this case Vinnie Vincent opened.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #444 on: October 12, 2022, 03:37:22 PM »
I would've loved to see Maiden on the Somewhere In Time tour. Still my favorite album and the one that really brought Adrian to my attention. Sadly, I was 10 when you were at this show and didn't even know who Maiden was.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #445 on: October 12, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
Saw the Centrum show. That's when I was so drunk that 2 rows folded and I went head first into another set of chairs and hit my noggin. 

When I came too, Eddie was on stage.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: October 12, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »
Seeing Chapman and Way together here would have been amazing.

Danny's vocal on the Save Your Prayers album is Top 10 material for me....and I was a Fin guy!

Waysted was funny. I always figured they were just a myth because they always cancelled their Dallas support gigs. I was supposed to see them 2 or 3 times and never did. In this case Vinnie Vincent opened.

This was Waysted's second and last time through here. They opened the Ozzy/Motley tour in early 1983.

I would've loved to see Maiden on the Somewhere In Time tour. Still my favorite album and the one that really brought Adrian to my attention. Sadly, I was 10 when you were at this show and didn't even know who Maiden was.  :lol

Adrian was great for that album, especially and including the Reach Out B side.
I was 18 y/o.

And all those pix!!!  How you can take them while fist pumping or raising your at the time nonarthritic metal horns is beyond me :metal

The challenging part was changing rolls of film in virtual darkness. I think for this show, I probably just took a fresh 24 roll, or maybe a 36.
I had tix in SEC 6 which is the second group on the floor, with SECs 1-3 across the front of the stage.
There weren't many people in front of me in the section ahead of me, so we worked our way up for Waysted. As people filled in between bands, we never got displaced.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »

This was Waysted's second and last time through here. They opened the Ozzy/Motley tour in early 1983.

No they didn't.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2022, 04:03:13 PM »

No they didn't.  :lol

I was going to say...yes they did.

But then...  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »

Adrian was great for that album, especially and including the Reach Out B side.
I was 18 y/o.

I LOVE Reach Out. I remember when I heard it I had no idea who was singing. Adrian has always said he's not a big fan of his singing voice but I love it. I have his A.S.A.P album that he sung on (very 80's sounding music) and it's why I love the Smith/Kotzen material so much. Adrian has such a bluesy voice.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: October 12, 2022, 06:19:55 PM »
I have the vinyl of ASAP in my closet.

It's been ages since I've heard it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #451 on: October 12, 2022, 06:36:29 PM »
I saw this tour just a few weeks after you, on April 27, 1987. The only Waysted album I have is Vices, so I was just casually into them at the time and I don’t remember anything resonating with me at this show.

Not sure where the SiT tour would rank among all the Maiden shows I've seen, but I do remember thinking that the stage set was super cool.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #452 on: October 12, 2022, 10:28:37 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that you liked Somewhere in Time over Powerslave; not sure why, maybe the synths and all that.  I love the pictures though and it's another great write up.  Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favorite Iron Maiden songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 13, 2022, 07:12:46 AM »
I did not see that Maiden tour, and I wish I did.  Bruce's outfit belongs in the RnRHoF.  :)

That was March of my sophomore year at Uconn so it's almost a given I was, um, waysted myself in some dorm room.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: October 13, 2022, 08:22:20 AM »
Tim,

Incredible. Glad to see someone else have big time love for "Caught Somewhere in Time" and the whole Somewhere in Time album. I'm a also huge fan. Great pics as always.

It's funny how things change, I totally remember that feeling of not knowing what was going to be played, and the thrill you got when you got something that you wanted or didn't expect. I miss that feeling. I had a friend do that for Porcupine Tree (he's a huge, huge fan) when we saw them a few weeks back, and he loved every second. It takes a lot of discipline and staying off places like this forum to avoid it. I miss the feeling, but not sure I'll ever have it again. I like reading about the bands I love.

Take the upcoming Alter Bridge tour. I get to see them five times on the U.S. swing starting next year. There's NO WAY I won't be spoiled. But my daughter, who is a massive, massive fan as well - she goes in blind, and you can see it in her eyes how amazed she is. I took her to Unleash the Archers (another fav) and she literally gasped when they played her favorite tune. So I get to remember that feeling through her.

Anyway, great write-up, and fantastic memories. Thanks for sharing.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com