Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19698 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #17 Phil 'er Up!
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2022, 07:01:10 PM »
I don't think Dokken ever had any real popularity, but they were extremely well known for a number of reasons, and were generally well regarded. They were one of the ubiquitous openers, and they got tons of MTV time. They're not a band people would go out of their way to see, but a whole lot of people knew them and liked them. Looking at SetlistFM, their first six Dallas shows were 5 arena and one stadium gigs. That was opening spots for BÖC, Dio, Twisted Sister, Priest, Aerosmith, and the Monsters of Rock. The MoR tour was probably their pinnacle, and after that it was all down hill. Metallica was exploding in popularity at the same time. After that tour they were selling out arenas.

By this time, I had seen Dokken open for Priest and Aerosmith.

And both Dokken and Metallica on the MOR bill. Talk about two bands on cross trajectories.

How can you not love Neil Carter? That dude stole the show, I thought. Dude rocked harder than all the others combined.  :lol

Yeah, he was great. He appears again later in the thread.

I really thought he added a lot to those final two Classic era UFO albums. Too bad the band self destructed. He ended up making a great living with Gary Moore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2022, 07:04:43 PM »
Hey I saw that UFO tour. :)  it wasn't the same thing for me as it was for you, but it was a cool show and I enjoyed it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2022, 07:05:52 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2022, 03:16:37 AM »
What makes me sad about looking at the MoR tour is that there doesn't seem to be something quite as similar today.  I mean, you have something like Knotfest Roadshow which features maybe 4 metal bands with some young/growing bands opening up, but it's not a stadium tour.  The stadium tours today are basically the same bands from the MoR tour.  The big rock stadium tour this year was Motley Cru / Def Leppard.  I'm not here to say rock is dead or something, just that, it's not as big as it used to be and I feel like this is a good example.  The stories of the opening bands being the next thing in the genre still exists, it's just happening at a smaller level. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2022, 07:47:34 AM »
Hey I saw that UFO tour. :) 

:metal

So there's a reason for people to see "legacy" bands - they've never seen them before.  And in my case it didn't matter what the setlist was because I wasn't familiar enough with the songs.  I was just going to check it out.  But I guess there are bands that I like that I'd probably see anyway... I don't know.  If DT did the same songs every time I'd probably be pretty bummed. But if I really liked the songs they were doing and wasn't sure if each tour would be the last, I'd probably go to at least one show on the tour.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »
Just caught up on the last two entries.

Tim - I want your buddy's Anthrax shirt.  :lol I'm a huge Judge Dredd fan.

Great memories. What a killer show. Wish I was able to attend that. That Metallica set looked incredible.

As for UFO - you got me to appreciate them a ton. And I have most of the catalog. Saw them once at a small club, in...man, I forget the year. It was probably early in the 2010s? I saw the awesome Mindflow open for them. Really enjoyed UFO a ton. Great set.

Regarding legacy acts and all that - I am learning to just let shit go. If you still enjoy something, go enjoy it. Obviously, if there are personal reasons you want to avoid an artist, then you gotta do you. But if you still love the music, go see your bands. They won't be around forever.

Case in point - I've seen Armored Saint now a bunch of times since I first saw them in...2006. My wife and I weren't going to go to this upcoming tour with WASP because we have no interest in WASP. But we're going anyway, to go support and enjoy Armored Saint. The setlist will hopefully feature the newest record, Punching the Sky, but I suspect it will be 45 minutes of the standards tracks with maybe a couple from PtS. But who cares? We decided to go anyway. You never know when a band is going to pull the plug.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #18 Monsters
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »
I only saw them at the time on the Love at First Sting tour with Bon Jovi opening.

That's the show I saw.   The part where Klaus comes in at the end with "STILL LOVING... YOU-U-OO!  OO-OOOH!" was spine-tingling. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #18 Monsters
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
I only saw them at the time on the Love at First Sting tour with Bon Jovi opening.

That's the show I saw.   The part where Klaus comes in at the end with "STILL LOVING... YOU-U-OO!  OO-OOOH!" was spine-tingling.

Saw that tour too...not on this list. Bon Jovi was incredible.

Update coming in a little bit..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #16 Revenged
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
16. Kiss
Shooting Gallery

May 8, 1992
Avalon, Boston

Setlist:
Love Gun
Deuce
Heaven's on Fire
Parasite
Shout It Out Loud
Strutter
Calling Dr. Love
I Was Made for Lovin' You
Unholy
100,000 Years
Take It Off
God of Thunder
Lick It Up
Firehouse
Tears Are Falling
I Love It Loud
I Stole Your Love
Cold Gin
Detroit Rock City
I Want You
Drum Solo
God Gave Rock and Roll to You
Rock and Roll All Nite

No setlist is available for Shooting Gallery.

Here's Kiss at The Ritz the night after I saw them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVOkPJV6Yfc

Here's Shooting Gallery playing Nature Of My Business from the Troubadour show a week earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM4GFvOJ0bE
Probably not going to convince anyone with this footage, but they were freaking awesome.

So, Kiss did a two week club tour before the actual Revenge arena tour. There was no way we were going to miss this. There were like 5 or 6 of us and we literally rented a van (and a driver) and threw a keg in the back.

In the two videos above, the Avalon stage is smaller than The Ritz, yet bigger than the Troubadour. Needless to say, they were right on top of us. I had seen Paul on his club tour, but this was so cool to be able to see Gene. And Gene was badass for this album and tour. Rededicated it seemed. The whole band was.

The opening band was an LA band called Shooting Gallery. It was led by Hanoi Rocks guitarist Andy McCoy. They were freaking awesome and turned in one of my all time favorite opening sets. I was at the stage right in front of Andy and had a great sightline of the drummer, who was mesmerizing in his playing. I went right out and bought their album. Musically, they were basically a Hanoi clone, but that album, their only one.., is really good.

But this was all about seeing Kiss...in a club. Unfortunately no pics. Regrettably.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2022, 03:41:10 PM »
I know I may make an enemy for life saying this in Stads, but I hate KISS.  :lol 

I know the history, I know their important place in music history and what an influence their show had on so many musicians. I just dislike them. Same thing with AC/DC - I get it. I totally do, and I respect them (and I respect with Paul and Gene did with KISS). But it just isn't for me.

I'm sure the show was spectacular, Tim. But man, even if could have gone to that gig, I wouldn't have.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2022, 04:46:53 PM »
I know I may make an enemy for life saying this in Stads, but I hate KISS:lol 

I know the history, I know their important place in music history and what an influence their show had on so many musicians. I just dislike them. Same thing with AC/DC - I get it. I totally do, and I respect them (and I respect with Paul and Gene did with KISS). But it just isn't for me.

I'm sure the show was spectacular, Tim. But man, even if could have gone to that gig, I wouldn't have.  :rollin

I got ya back mate!  Never could stand them personally either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
So...popular pick? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2022, 05:01:12 PM »
So...popular pick? :lol

Yeah sorry, uncalled for I guess.  :lol

The album I tried a year back you guys pimped was pretty solid I gotta say but just never been my thing.  I do quite like the Paul Stanly solo album thing though.  That was pretty good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2022, 05:23:53 PM »
Killer setlist Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
Oh, you young whippersnappers with no appreciation for Kiss  :lol

I'm not a huge Kiss fan, but they rescued my twelve year-old self from K-Tel disco compilations. And I still love Destroyer.

So cool that you got to see Kiss in a smaller venue, TAC. The UFO show sounds amazing too. I’m jealous, as I never saw UFO live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2022, 06:29:36 PM »
That’s basically the Auburn Hills set list.  Killer.

I get the hate for Kiss; I do. But for me, they are everything that other bands are to them.  I’ve met Gene and Paul twice each and they could not have been nicer.  Gene treated me like I was the only fan in the world that mattered.  Was it an act?  I don’t fucking care.  He talked to me like I was his best friend.   Paul was a little more reserved, but I had my daughter when I met him the second time and he talked to her like an adult.  She remembers it to this day and of all the bands I like, Kiss is her favourite.   For all the $$$$ about them, I can’t say I ever felt like I didn’t get value for money*, especially live. 

* except for Peter Criss’ solo album.  Haha.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2022, 06:31:54 PM »
Oh:  and Paul Stanley is a top ten, maybe even top five, rock frontman of all time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:38:42 AM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »

I get the hate for Kiss; I do. But for me, they are everything that other bands are to them.  I’ve met Gene and Paul twice each and they could not have been nicer.  Gene treated me like I was the only fan in the world that mattered.  Was it an act?  I don’t fucking care.  He talked to me like I was his best friend.   Paul was a little more reserved, but I had my daughter when I met him the second time and he talked to her like an adult.  She remembers it to this day and of all the bands I like, Kiss is her favourite.   For all the $$$$ about them, I can’t say I ever felt like I didn’t get value for money*, especially live. 

* except for Peter Criss’ solo album.  Haha.

You gotta respect that.  That's the sort of shit that cements things IMO.  5 minutes of their time makes you realise they are either your idols or all of a sudden not so high up on the favourites list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2022, 06:34:18 PM »
Oh:  and Paul Stanley is a top ten, maybe even tools five, rock frontman of all time.

Top 5 tool of a front man?  Yeah I guess I can see that.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2022, 07:02:44 PM »
As much as I love to bag on Kiss, their fans love them and have their back. I can respect that, even while wondering why. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2022, 07:06:18 PM »
Oh:  and Paul Stanley is a top ten, maybe even tools five, rock frontman of all time.

:rollin

Yeah, the arena tour that followed was awesome and had a great setlist. Without looking, didn't they add Watchin' You to the arena tour?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2022, 07:58:52 PM »

:rollin. I share your and Samsara's feelings on this one.   But it's all good.

And Stadler, I'm glad they were so cool to you when you met them.  That goes a long way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2022, 08:25:19 AM »
Yeah, don't mistake what I said at all. I don't bag on anyone who likes them. They just aren't for me. But I am glad folks had good experiences with them, and that their music helped others too. That's the beauty of music when it's right - sometimes it's more than just entertainment, and when it's a positive force, no matter who it is, that's awesome.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2022, 10:12:24 AM »
Never saw Kiss.... Got a chance since they're headlining the day of Aftershock that Nemophila is playing, but they're also going head to head against Meshuggah... May split the time or something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2022, 10:41:27 AM »
Never saw Kiss.... Got a chance since they're headlining the day of Aftershock that Nemophila is playing, but they're also going head to head against Meshuggah... May split the time or something.

Meshuggah will be around, Kiss may not be for much longer (who knows how long this final tour will go on for). Personally, I'm not a huge Kiss fan (I enjoy some of their music) but I wouldn't miss seeing them if you haven't yet and have the opportunity.

I only saw them twice on this final tour (back when it started in 2019) so I'm sure they aren't what they used to be live, but those were still fun shows.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2022, 10:47:13 AM »
I love this thread!

I saw Kiss once in 2000, on their original Farewell tour.  They were coming through my college town and it was a no-brainer to get tickets.  We had great floor seats within the first 10-15 rows, if I remember correctly.  It was the final tour with the original lineup, and they played non-makeup era songs for the first time while in makeup.  Paul Stanley flew over our heads during Love Gun, Gene spit blood and sang God of Thunder from the top of the lighting rig.  Peter Criss came to the front to sing Beth and instead of saying "hello Champaign, IL," he said something about Chicago, which is 2 hours north.   At the start of the next song, Paul ribbed him and said that they needed to get him a map.   :lol

It's worth it if only to say that you've seen them live and for the spectacle of the show. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2022, 10:53:27 AM »
Hot In The Shade tour was the 1st time, KISS went deep into their catalog.  The album was terrible but the tour was fantastic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »
I love this thread!

Thank you!!!

I saw Kiss in '96, '98, & '00. After the 2000 show, I turned to my wife and said I was never giving them another dollar for a concert. I literally felt ripped off and thought I basically saw the same show for three straight tours.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #15 Hell On Wheels
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »
24.  Grim Reaper
      Armored Saint

Helloween

September 24, 1987
The Living Room, Providence

Setlists:

Grim Reaper
Rock You to Hell
Night of the Vampire
Lust for Freedom
Rock Me 'till I Die
Fear No Evil
Dead on Arrival
See You in Hell

Armored Saint
March of the Saint
Underdogs
Human Vulture
Chemical Euphoria
Isolation
Can U Deliver
Mad House

Helloween:
I'm Alive
Future World
Twilight Of The Gods
A Tale That Wasn't Right
Halloween

There is Pro Shot footage that aired on MTV from Minneapolis:
Grim Reaper
Armored Saint
Helloween

Here's a tour ad from Cleveland:

So, it's rare when an album comes along and literally and permanently changes your musical direction. Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt.1 was that. I cannot begin to tell you what an effect it had on me. Practically a perfect album with everything I love about music. I first heard it in the summer of 1987 upon its release after seeing THIS magazine at a friend's house.

Anyway, it was announced that they were touring as the third band on a bill that was headlined by Grim Reaper with Armored Saint as Special Guest.
We also found out that during the afternoon of the show, all three bands would be doing an in-store at Strawberries in Downtown Providence. So we went. I literally ignored both Armored Saint and Grim Reaper and went right to Helloween's table. I remember how young Michael Kiske looked. I asked him how old he was and he said he was 19. Wow! I had just turned 19 two days earlier.

Here's some pics:

After the session we were walking around killing time when we see some of the Helloween guys coming out of a Dunkin' Donuts!
That's me, arm in arm with Michael. Damn if Markus and Kai could've looked at the camera!

And...the show!!!

...and the late great Ingo, one of Power Metal's pioneer drummers.

We went for Helloween, but decided to stay for a couple of songs from Armored Saint. I was blown away! We stayed for their entire set.
I actually had March Of the Saint, and I thought it was OK. I skipped Delirious Nomad, and hadn't yet tried Raising Fear, which is what they were promoting in 1987. Obviously I had no idea how much I would've loved them. I really wished I stopped by their table earlier in the day, or snapped a few pics. I would've loved to have a pic of Dave Prichard sitting there.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
HELL of a post, considering the announcement today. SO jealous of this one, as you know.

Armored Saint and Helloween on the same bill. MAN!  :metal

Great pics and memories, Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2022, 02:26:46 PM »
HELL of a post, considering the announcement today. SO jealous of this one, as you know.

Armored Saint and Helloween on the same bill. MAN!  :metal

Great pics and memories, Tim.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, quite a coincidence..

I wish I was fully up on Armored Saint. I never thought March Of The Saint was all that great, so I wasn't anticipating them in the least. But they BLEW ME AWAY! I got Raising Fear right after that, and they came back to Providence three more times for that album.

Unfortunately I used up all of my film on Helloween.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2022, 03:01:31 PM »
For some reason I would have thought Helloween, at least the keeper albums which are the ones I'm most familiar with, wouldn't be heavy enough or would be too happy for you. I'm not sure why; maybe because the stuff you sent me in my roulette was mostly heavier.

That's a really cool write up, and great pictures.  I saw Helloween at ProgPower but not with Michael Kiske.  But I did see him with Avantasia.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2022, 03:32:48 PM »
A great story as always 👍

In-cred-ble pics!!!👍

Enjoy the new release.

That said….would it surprise you if I told you I have never heard one second of anything from these three bands?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »

That said….would it surprise you if I told you I have never heard one second of anything from these three bands?

Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys - pt. 1

Armored Saint: Symbol of Salvation

Go now. You're welcome.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »
 :D :tup

…in about two weeks, if I survive Boston and what follows
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!