Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19382 times)

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown v.Fogey Metal Shows
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »
I missed Page/Plant which I wasn't amazed by their 1st record, but I regretted not going years later having never seen Zeppelin of course.

I almost went to see Robert Plant on my bithday like 15 or 20 years ago, but it was over 100 degrees out that evening and I decided to pass. I've regretted that one as well.

To this day, the only member of Zeppelin I've seen live was John Paul Jones when he opened for King Crimson in 2001.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2022, 07:00:00 AM »
That name rings a bell.  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2022, 07:08:10 AM »
I missed Page/Plant which I wasn't amazed by their 1st record, but I regretted not going years later having never seen Zeppelin of course.

I almost went to see Robert Plant on my bithday like 15 or 20 years ago, but it was over 100 degrees out that evening and I decided to pass. I've regretted that one as well.

To this day, the only member of Zeppelin I've seen live was John Paul Jones when he opened for King Crimson in 2001.

Tastes and all that, but I think Robert Plant is arguably better now than he was back then.  He sings differently - though he can always bring it when he needs to - and his music is really solid for what it is.   I probably listen to his last four or five solo albums (from Dreamland on) more than that which came before OR most of Zeppelin. Just understand it's NOT Zeppelin, it's something different.

I'm not talking about 'how he sings' or anything like that, but having seen him four or five times (solo and with Page) he really IS one of the greatest front men of all time.  He's just got this j'nah c'est quoi that you can't teach.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2022, 07:12:36 AM »
My 3rd

Asia
Rainbow
U2
Judas Priest
Rush
KISS

That's a Stadler Christmas list, right there.  Dammit.

Hell of a start to my concert going eh? :lol

Plant is great live.  I saw him on the Manic Nirvana tour.  What a show and what a band at that time. I also saw him on the Shaken 'n' Stirred tour.  Though, I did not like the Honeydrippers section of the show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2022, 07:47:51 AM »
My 3rd

Asia
Rainbow
U2
Judas Priest
Rush
KISS

That's a Stadler Christmas list, right there.  Dammit.

Hell of a start to my concert going eh? :lol

Plant is great live.  I saw him on the Manic Nirvana tour.  What a show and what a band at that time. I also saw him on the Shaken 'n' Stirred tour.  Though, I did not like the Honeydrippers section of the show.

I saw the Manic Nirvana tour as well.  Killer.  At one point he left the stage and came back late, missing his cue.  He said "sorry, Alannah's dressing room door jammed" (meaning, Alannah Myles, the opening act).  Later turned out he probably wasn't kidding.  :) :) :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »
It's well known about him and Alannah.  She had a powerful voice live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
Pretty good start, following...

Of course I don't have much to add since these concerts are from when I was a baby, but hitting Van Halen and Iron Maiden early must mean the list is going to be strong for my tastes.  Also Flotsam and Jetsam!  :metal

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
It's well known about him and Alannah.  She had a powerful voice live.
I agree; and she's a looker as well (even now, though I imagine the hair might not be for everyone). 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »
That Iron Maiden post is awesome.  I really enjoyed the pictures from the tour book as well. I don't think I would have recognized Adrian Smith if that was just a random picture though. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #25 I Promise
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
25. Queensryche

July 16, 1995
Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

Setlist:
I Am I
Damaged
Bridge
Screaming in Digital
NM 156
My Global Mind
Neue Regel
I Remember Now
Anarchy-X
Revolution Calling
Operation: Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease
The Mission
I Don't Believe in Love
Waiting for 22
My Empty Room
Real World
Eyes of a Stranger
Empire
Jet City Woman
Promised Land
Disconnected
Lady Jane
Out of Mind
One More Time
Silent Lucidity
Take Hold of the Flame
Someone Else?

Here's an interesting multi camera audience mix from Minneapolis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfVWtZ8Zbg
Here it starts at Promised Land. It's a song presentation that still blows my mind.
https://youtu.be/oEfVWtZ8Zbg?t=4920

So this show was amazing. I had extremely low expectations as I had seen Queensryche before and I didn't think they were that exciting live, and from what I heard of Promised Land, I was less than impressed. But I went with a buddy of mine, got baked out of our gourds and settled in for the show.

According to Setlist FM, Type O Negative was the opener. I have no recollection of that. We were still out in the parking lot during their set.

I was blown away from the jump. What a presentation. The video screens were amazing. And Geoff Tate, holy hell, what a performer. I loved the change in scenes throughout the show. And Promised Land... what can you say? A legendary spot.
Here's another version of Promised Land from Wantagh, the show after mine..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdWRgyW7Jg

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
That's a crazy setlist for them and I'm sure Tate sounded much better back then. Interesting opener. While I'm not too into Type O Negative, they ended up being pretty popular so seeing them as an opener might have been cool.  It's a reason why I try to not miss openers these days, you never know who might end up being a headlining band themselves and the chance you had to see them as a young opener learning the ropes. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2022, 11:29:13 AM »
Here's some more photos from the show - https://anybodylistening.net/7-16-95.html

Also, NM 156 and Screaming in Digital were both abridged. Both ended right before their respective guitar solos.

I, too, was blown away by the staging, particularly for the title track, Promised Land. Incredible.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2022, 11:32:10 AM »
Thank you for providing the pics Brian!

And yes, NM156 and Screaming In Digital were merged.

And I would also like to add this. THIS performance of Screaming In Digital was so powerful, even in its shortened version, was what made the song click with me, and in turn, was the turning point for me on Rage For Order as well.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2022, 11:41:43 AM »
Never seen Queensryche unfortunately. Back in this time with Promised Land they were one of my abdolute favorite bands (oh how the mighty fell).

So envious for this.....

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2022, 12:05:19 PM »
That's a crazy setlist for them and I'm sure Tate sounded much better back then. Interesting opener. While I'm not too into Type O Negative, they ended up being pretty popular so seeing them as an opener might have been cool.  It's a reason why I try to not miss openers these days, you never know who might end up being a headlining band themselves and the chance you had to see them as a young opener learning the ropes. 

I discovered two of my favorite bands when they were opening for someone else, since then I always try to catch the openers now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2022, 12:07:04 PM »

I discovered two of my favorite bands when they were opening for someone else, since then I always try to catch the openers now.

Yeah, that's on top of flat out enjoying the opener to becoming a fan.  That's how I discovered Bad Omens this year and I think their album might be my favorite of 2022.

Online romdrums

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
I saw the opening night of that tour in Kalamazoo, MI, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.  I really dug the whole presentation, and the setlist was absolutely killer.  I really wish they had continued down that road. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2022, 12:24:56 PM »
THIS performance of Screaming In Digital was so powerful, even in its shortened version, was what made the song click with me, and in turn, was the turning point for me on Rage For Order as well.

The vampiric imagery on-screen was intense.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »

Me too; I've apparently seen Garbage TWICE and had no idea.  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2022, 03:55:00 PM »
That's some setlist indeed.  I have seen Queensryche but only on the OM2 tour.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
 I’ve seen Queensryche plenty of times, but missed the Promised Land tour  :sad:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2022, 04:57:41 PM »
Van Halen - had two opportunities in college, but each time I would have had to ride with an obnoxious friend of a friend for the 2 1/2 hour trips to Kalamazoo.  Years later, while living in Kalamazoo, they cancelled their OU812 show.  Did see their F*CK show (with way too much from that album :sad:)

Alice Cooper - '87 in Kalamazoo (with Ace Frehley's Comet and Faster Pussycat) and three times in the last four years.

Queensryche - first time was the 'Empire' tour at The Palace of Auburn Hills with the ex (had to pass on their Kzoo show because I was working).  I had paid rent for seven years with her, and the week before we moved into OUR house.   Had a good but slightly chilly time tailgating.  Recall very little of the opening act.  I think I watched 5-10 minutes, then joined the rest of the gang in the concourse bar.  Quite the stage!  Quite the show!  :tup 15 rows up at the 'blue line' left of the stage.  I remember not knowing a few songs, and 'Real World' was rather different and disappointing from the studio version (my #1 in the countdown).  Getting up at 5AM the next day for work came way too early.

Unlike Tim, I have no pix or ticket stubs from these shows (or most concerts, for that matter).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »
Alice Cooper - '87 in Kalamazoo (with Ace Frehley's Comet and Faster Pussycat) and three times in the last four years.

Ace unexpectedly did not perform in Boston, so FP got the entire opening slot and holy shit did they suck. The second worst band I've ever seen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »

Ace unexpectedly did not perform in Boston, so FP got the entire opening slot and holy shit did they suck. The second worst band I've ever seen.

:lol  Just a fucking horrible band name too. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #24 Starchild
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2022, 06:29:49 PM »
24. Paul Stanley
         Warrant

February 23, 1989
West Hartford Ballroom

Paul Setlist:
I Stole Your Love
I Want You
Tears Are Falling
Tonight You Belong to Me
C'mon and Love Me
Wouldn't You Like to Know Me
Heaven's on Fire
Hide Your Heart
I Still Love You
Crazy Crazy Nights
Reason to Live
Lick It Up
Let's Put the X in Sex
Love Gun
Goodbye
Communication Breakdown
Detroit Rock City

Warrant:
So Damn Pretty (Should Be Against the Law)
Big Talk
Ridin' High
32 Pennies
Sometimes She Cries
Instrumental Jam
Cold Sweat
Down Boys
D.R.F.S.R.
Heaven
Baby Loves to Rock

Here is a great video from the New Haven show!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdxoc1xqNc

Paul's band included:
Bob Kulick
Eric Singer
Dennis St. James (who played with Michael Schenker for a bit)
Gary Corbett (keyboardist who was a member of Cinderella and also toured with Kiss. He passed away last year from lung cancer at the age of 63)

Some shots from the show..

And the late great Bob Kulick!!

Got a couple of picks!

And a pic of my buddy and I after the show showing our picks and our Gene tongues.

So, this was an incredible show. The Boston show was sold out, so we decided to go to Hartford. We had such a blast. I must say that Warrant was amazing! What a great live band. I also saw them open for Motley Crue at the Centrum later that year and they commanded that stage too. That band was legit live.

Paul was freaking awesome. Finally, an opportunity to hear tracks from his great 1978 solo album, plus a bunch of Kiss classics. He didn't just show up like a rock star and mailed it in. I mean, he did show up like a rock star, but he fucking worked it. It was an amazing experience. I was a huge Kiss fan during this time period.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:45:14 PM by TAC »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2022, 07:21:24 PM »
'Ryche on the Promised Land tour would probably be a top 10 all-time concert for me.  We had 3rd row center.  :metal :metal

No comment on Paul Stanley (I will be nice) or Warrant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »
No comment on Paul Stanley (I will be nice)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2022, 07:48:05 PM »
Saw that QR tour.  As mentioned, I was at the heavily bootlegged San Jose show.  The show itself was stellar.  But Geoff's voice was rough, at least early in the set.  They had some sound issues right at the very start where you couldn't hear Geoff at all in house (doesn't seem to be an issue from the radio broadcast that got bootlegged, as I recall), and I speculated at the time that maybe he blew his voice out early by pushing hard to try to hear himself.  But in any case, this was an incredible show.  First 5 times I saw Queensryche, they were incredible, and all those shows are in the running for a "top __" concert list.  But this has to be a tour that makes the final cut.  Type O were a really boring opener though. 

Looks like you saw Warrant just about a month after DRFSR came out.  Did you even know who they were that early in the game?  I don't recall them blowing up until later that year.  I saw them about a month before it was released and was blown away by how good a live show they put on.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2022, 07:56:59 PM »
Looks like you saw Warrant just about a month after DRFSR came out.  Did you even know who they were that early in the game?  I don't recall them blowing up until later that year.  I saw them about a month before it was released and was blown away by how good a live show they put on.

I was definitely aware of them. I know we had their album in the bin at my college radio station, and Down Boys was already out. I remember sampling the album and struggling to find something to play on my show.

But you are right, they were great live. What kind of venue did you see them?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »

It was a basketball field house on the base where I was stationed in North Carolina. Nantucket opened, the then-unknown Warrant warmed up the crowd for the headliner, and Britney Fox closed the show.  I bought the album right after it dropped and played it all the time.  It was cool watching them grow so quickly. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2022, 12:22:41 AM »
'Ryche on the Promised Land tour would probably be a top 10 all-time concert for me.  We had 3rd row center.  :metal :metal

The Promised Land tour is the Queensryche tour I'd want to be able to go back in time to see.  I've heard a lot about how awesome it was and the setlist does look great.

No comment on Paul Stanley (I will be nice) or Warrant.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2022, 02:37:40 AM »
Must have been cool to see Warrant at that time.  I rate them as one of the worst bands I've seen but that was in 2019 when the band is just a shell of themselves.  Back then is a completely different story. 

Paul looks so odd in your pictures.  Not just because hes making some odd faces, I think it's because I'm so used to seeing him with his fat lips and face work that seeing him before that is something I'm not used to. 

Also, awesome guitar pics! Do you still have them? I have a little jar that I keep mine in and a frame with my favorite 5 of them that can be hung (although it's just leaning on my desk at home).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2022, 04:44:40 AM »

I remember Ace playing 'Cold Gin', which was fun, and nothing else.  That, and he appeared so bored, three sheets to the wind, or he was simply being Ace. :lol

Faster Pussycat:  I'm thinking 'so this is the LA scene, and I'm supposed to like these guys because it's the cool thing at the time?'  Nah.  I found them to be visually and audibly unappealing (disgusting).

:lol  Just a fucking horrible band name too. 

Just read their wiki page.  And to think there was a dispute this century over the band name, where there were two in existence for a spell.  :facepalm:

Where have I heard that frequency unknown story before? ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2022, 06:19:48 AM »

It was a basketball field house on the base where I was stationed in North Carolina. Nantucket opened, the then-unknown Warrant warmed up the crowd for the headliner, and Britney Fox closed the show.  I bought the album right after it dropped and played it all the time.  It was cool watching them grow so quickly.

Nantucket?  :lol Never heard of them.

Imagine this tour:
Boston
New England
Nantucket
 ;D

Also, awesome guitar pics! Do you still have them? I have a little jar that I keep mine in and a frame with my favorite 5 of them that can be hung (although it's just leaning on my desk at home).

I have most of them. I gave my Jason Newstead bass pick to my nephew, along with my Justice tour shirt. My brother sent me a pic of them at the last Metallica show in Foxboro and my nephew was wearing the shirt.

I had Adrian's pick from the Seventh Son tour, but I simply cannot find it. On the front was his autograph, and on the back it said 7th Pick Of The 7th Tour. It was really cool. I had it framed with a picture I took from the show.

I also had like 5 trash bags of concert shirts, but somehow only one of them made it here. I made 4 moves in a little over a year in the mid 90's and they disappeared along the way.

I remember Ace playing 'Cold Gin', which was fun, and nothing else.  That, and he appeared so bored, three sheets to the wind, or he was simply being Ace. :lol

Most likely all of the above..
I saw Frehley's Comet a few times as well.

I will mention Faster Pussycat again soon enough as they were responsible for me almost deciding to not go to an upcoming show in the Countdown..

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »
But "Taime Downe" is one of the best stage names ever, no?  Isn't it?  HAHA.  I love the song "House of Pain", but as a band they're a joke.

That Paul Stanley show is one of my greatest concert regrets.  I was at Uconn at the time and I can't remember why I didn't go, but I didn't go, and I rue that to this day.   That's a KILLER setlist (and to see "Goodbye" live would be a treat; it's one of my favorite songs).

I have all my picks in a shot glass.  I should mount them some day.  I will once Wolfking sends me one of his.  :) :) :) :)