Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19384 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #8 They Call Me Bruce
« Reply #350 on: October 04, 2022, 09:01:24 PM »
I saw the thread title update and immediately thought, "Tim went to a Springsteen concert? Interesting."  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: October 04, 2022, 09:07:08 PM »
It's extremely rare but the thread title is a MOVIE REFERENCE!!  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkC9Bj28So
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: October 04, 2022, 09:17:06 PM »
So jealous.  The band were on fire on this tour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2022, 09:30:41 PM »
8. Bruce Dickinson

September 28, 1997
The Strand, Providence

Cool show. We saw him at a tiny club in Ellum. I doubt you could legally put more than a couple of hundred people in there, and the stage was barely big enough for five guys. Great to see Bruce up close like that. We got there early to see Geezer, but wound up going outside to smoke during his set. Not at all what we were interested in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2022, 11:22:35 PM »
Not one, but two Bruce shows vying for your number 8 spot. This made me recollect the days when Bruce called himself Bruce Bruce  :lol

Offline Lethean

Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #11 A Titanic Evening
« Reply #355 on: October 05, 2022, 12:18:41 AM »
OK I'm jealous of the Alice in Chains set.  I finally saw them when they reformed, and they were very good and it was better than I'd hoped it would be.  But I wish I'd been able to see them with Layne Staley.  What a great voice he had.  I remember when he died, hearing how horrific he life was at the end (and the end apparently took a long time), and he said something to the effect that he hated it (heroin) but couldn't live without it.   Rest in peace.

I linked a couple of performances from the tour. If you haven't watched them, they're pretty good, especially the Weedsport on as it's outdoors.

I didn't care for them quite as much as I thought I would - and I knew the video quality wasn't going to be great but they were OK.

I enjoy boots a lot. I know they're not for everyone. the Weedsport was pretty much my POV of the show.
Actually these were fine.  I watched them again today and maybe I was too distracted yesterday.  I like the indoor show better; daylight feels wrong for Alice in Chains. :) I probably could have done without him saying (in the least threatening voice) that he was gonna put a cap in someone's ass and stuff like that, whereas at the indoor show they pretty much just pushed through with minimal talking and it was great.  After watching that and a bunch of other videos, I can only say again, what a great voice he had. 

I would be more interested to go back in time to see Queensryche with Chris DeGarmo, and that looks like a great setlist

I wasn't all that impressed honestly. I had seen them "in the round" opening for Def Leppard 6 months earlier and I enjoyed them a lot more.

If I could choose I'd really want to see the Promised Land tour, which I've heard so much about.  But I imagine I would have enjoyed just about any of their tours, as long as they were sounding good and I've heard that Geoff Tate was very consistent.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #356 on: October 05, 2022, 12:21:22 AM »
So jealous.  The band were on fire on this tour.

I'm jealous of this one too. 

TAC, if it's not coming up later, did he tour for The Chemical Wedding, and did you see it?  That's my favorite of his solo albums but Accident of Birth is pretty awesome too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: October 05, 2022, 01:31:37 AM »
I watched a boot from this AOB tour a few weeks back.  It was incredible.  I'll have to find it again.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #358 on: October 05, 2022, 01:49:23 AM »
I somehow missed Bruce every time when he toured his solo records, so yeah, I'm jealous  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2022, 04:25:00 AM »
I watched a boot from this AOB tour a few weeks back.  It was incredible.  I'll have to find it again.

https://youtu.be/z0M5T3fugIw

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #360 on: October 05, 2022, 08:23:52 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Accident of Birth, so I am completely jealous, as usual, of the shows you've attended Tim. Very cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: October 05, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »
As much as I'm not a huge fan of the Tattoo Millionaire, that 1990 show still would have been awesome, but I'm very jealous of that 97 show from Accident of Birth.  That is top notch Bruce music there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #362 on: October 05, 2022, 09:51:00 AM »
The New Haven show on the Tattoo'd Millionaire made the news; apparently there was a huge fight or something.  Another opportunity lost, though it was different circumstances; I had just graduated college and was working a construction job down in New York, getting up at 3:00 am to be on the job site by 5:00 every day, and basically in bed by like 8:30 or 9:00 every night.  There is a dearth of concerts in my record during that time.  :)

I loved the Skunkworks record, though; I would have really enjoyed that '97 setlist for real.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #363 on: October 05, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »
The New Haven show on the Tattoo'd Millionaire made the news; apparently there was a huge fight or something.  Another opportunity lost, though it was different circumstances; I had just graduated college and was working a construction job down in New York, getting up at 3:00 am to be on the job site by 5:00 every day, and basically in bed by like 8:30 or 9:00 every night.  There is a dearth of concerts in my record during that time.  :)

I loved the Skunkworks record, though; I would have really enjoyed that '97 setlist for real.

Skunkworks is an odd duck. When I first bought it I thought is was garbage and sold it. Then years later when my completest thing took hold I picked up the deluxe re-release. Listened to it again and could not understand what my thinking was all those years ago. It's a solid record. Not metal, but also not bad. Glad I righted that wrong.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #364 on: October 05, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »

I actually did the work for you!   ;D

8. Bruce Dickinson

Chicago a week before I saw him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0M5T3fugIw

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #365 on: October 05, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »

Skunkworks is an odd duck. When I first bought it I thought is was garbage and sold it. Then years later when my completest thing took hold I picked up the deluxe re-release. Listened to it again and could not understand what my thinking was all those years ago. It's a solid record. Not metal, but also not bad. Glad I righted that wrong.

I didn't take to it right away either. I like it a lot now. Really cool.

TAC, if it's not coming up later, did he tour for The Chemical Wedding, and did you see it?  That's my favorite of his solo albums but Accident of Birth is pretty awesome too.

He toured but not in the US. I think in Europe, and maybe SA..

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #366 on: October 05, 2022, 10:48:52 AM »

Cool show. We saw him at a tiny club in Ellum. I doubt you could legally put more than a couple of hundred people in there, and the stage was barely big enough for five guys. Great to see Bruce up close like that. We got there early to see Geezer, but wound up going outside to smoke during his set. Not at all what we were interested in.

This is how I saw them. Just a different show. (The Cabooze in Minneapolis) That was an amazing show. A couple hundred people maybe. We could get up close to the stage. Go to the bar and grab a beer and not have any issue getting back near the stage. One of my favorite shows ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #7 The Nightmare Returns
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2022, 01:36:03 PM »
7. Alice Cooper
      Megadeth

February 19, 1987
Civic Center
Providence

Alice:
Welcome to My Nightmare
Billion Dollar Babies
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Be My Lover
I'm Eighteen
The World Needs Guts
Give It Up
Cold Ethyl
Only Women Bleed
Go to Hell
Ballad of Dwight Fry
Teenage Frankenstein
Sick Things
I Love the Dead
School's Out
Elected
Under My Wheels

Megadeth:
Wake Up Dead
The Conjuring
Bad Omen
Rattlehead
Peace Sells
Devil's Island
Mechanix
Good Mourning/Black Friday

Alice..Pro shot in Detroit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzW1kFN-KwU&list=PLhkcPgNyqpi1dB_xwDzb6wWdz_YuR1fOa

Megadeth..boot from Des Moines two weeks before I saw them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfB1DzV8Uc

The happened to see Alice Cooper on MTV Halloween night in 1986 playing in Detroit. I wasn't familiar with his music, though as a kid, I did have Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits on 8 track. I was never really smitten with it either. Anyway, something made me watch this broadcast and I was blown away. This was heavy Metal Alice.
I went out and bought tickets to see him in Worcester in a couple of weeks, and it was an amazing experience. I wasn't really familiar with Alice's catalog, but it launched me on a musical journey that was almost unmatched for me. When he came to Providence a few months later...I was musically ready.
This show is incredible. His band was great/ Kane Roberts, Ken Mary, Paul Taylor, some other rhythm guitarist and some bassist who for some reason half of DTF seems to love.
But they were freaking tight. I especially loved their take on The Ballad Of Dwight Fry and Welcome To My Nightmare.

Oh, and the opening band was Megadeth on their Peace Sells tour. I wasn't really into Megadeth, but I made sure I didn't miss them. At this point, I was still slightly out on bands like this. But I remember sitting with a great view of Gar Samuelson. He played the drums like a damn lumberjack. He was really cool to see.

Some pics!

Oh...and suck on this!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: October 05, 2022, 01:44:11 PM »
Paul Taylor, some other rhythm guitarist and some bassist who for some reason half of DTF seems to love.

Fuck you Tim!

Paul Taylor was also in Winger!

AND KIP WINGER FUCKING RULES. You're just a crazed loon!  :lol

In all seriousness, cool gig. I am not a huge Alice fan either, but I've seen his show and enjoyed it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: October 05, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »
Paul Taylor, some other rhythm guitarist and some bassist who for some reason half of DTF seems to love.

Fuck you Tim!

Paul Taylor was also in Winger!

AND KIP WINGER FUCKING RULES. You're just a crazed loon!  :lol

:lol  :lol :lol

I met Paul on Alice's next tour at the Boston Garden.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: October 05, 2022, 01:49:07 PM »
Dude on the left has a Member's Only jacket.

Damn 80s clothes baby...  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: October 05, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »
He was obviously not a member. :lol

Dude on the right with the blood had a battle jacket on!  ;D

(er..not really. It had no patches)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #372 on: October 05, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »
How is Kane Roberts still ripped even to this day?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 05, 2022, 01:56:15 PM »

Dude on the right with the blood had a battle jacket on!  ;D

(er..not really. It had no patches)

I got the jacket yesterday and I have all the patches here except the main back patch of the QR Mindcrime logo. But while I like the jacket (it's like this gray/black washed thing), and will wear it, I'm unsure if I am going totally 80s and putting the patches on or not. I'll wait until the back patch gets here, lay everything out, and then take a picture and see if I like it. If you're lucky, I'll share that picture with you, fellow old fogey!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: October 05, 2022, 02:03:28 PM »
Don't forget to include your mullet, and remember that your hightop sneakers are to double laced.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »
Don't forget to include your mullet, and remember that your hightop sneakers are to double laced.

Got it. Do you want a shot of the Reebok Pump itself on the tongue of the shoe?

I mean, I was gonna go LA Gear on ya, but now I feel pressured to represent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2022, 02:07:51 PM »

Got it. Do you want a shot of the Reebok Pump itself on the tongue of the shoe?

I mean, I was gonna go LA Gear on ya, but now I feel pressured to represent.

I was a Nike guy in the 80's.

LA Gear??  :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2022, 02:10:44 PM »
Alice looks the exact same still

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »
Tim, I saw the Raise Your Fist And Yell Tour as well at the Worcester Aud. It had Moterhead as the opener though. Was that a different leg?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »
Tim, I saw the Raise Your Fist And Yell Tour as well at the Worcester Aud. It had Moterhead as the opener though. Was that a different leg?

Yes. That was actually the second leg of the RYFAY tour.

The first leg, they played the Garden in November '87. That's the show that I got all bloody. That tour was with Frehley's Comet and Faster Pussycat, though for some reason Ace didn't play the Boston show.

Then they came around in early '88 with Motorhead. In fact, the night they played in providence on that leg (at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium), Paul Dianno's Battlezone was playing at the Living Room, which is within walking distance. I was so pissed I couldn't go that night. I'd have hit both shows!

The concert I'm featuring here was the second leg of the Constrictor tour, in the winter of early '87.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2022, 02:59:38 PM »
Got it. Thanks!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2022, 06:10:50 PM »
You know you’re old when you owned an album on 8 track. Yeah, I had a few of those too.  ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2022, 07:06:57 PM »

I actually did the work for you!   ;D

8. Bruce Dickinson

Chicago a week before I saw him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0M5T3fugIw

:facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2022, 07:18:57 PM »
I truly think Tim has a signed copy of that photo of Kip on his bedroom wall too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »
I truly think Tim has a signed copy of that photo of Kip on his bedroom wall too.

I didn't even need tape to stick it up there.