Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19181 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown v.Fogey Metal Shows
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »
I remember a LOT of VH and Autograph concert shirts showing up at school after that tour came through town.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't regret missing it.  But it would have been fun.  Autograph was one of those bands I never could bring myself to take seriously.  And outside of Turn Up the Radio, I don't know anyone that did.

I actually felt bad for them. I don't think all of the arena lights were even down for them, and I remember some dude standing up giving two middle fingers to them. Nobody wanted to sit through their set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2022, 01:12:45 PM »
27. Iron Maiden
       Accept

June 2, 1985
Providence Civic Center

Setlist:
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run to the Hills
Running Free
Sanctuary

Accept
Metal Heart
London Leatherboys
Love Child
Midnight Mover
Screaming for a Love Bite
Too High to Get It Right
Living for Tonite
Up to the Limit
Balls to the Wall

Here is a scan of my Tour program!

So, when Powerslave came out, I didn't really care for it. I kind of thought they might have sold out. Standard fast tempo rocker to open the album. Recycled riff on the single. Long song so they could brag on it being long.
But I went to the show, and have a pretty vivid memory of it. I would kill to go back and experience it live again.
Live After Death was recorded three months before this.

Also, my Top 5 all time opening acts are included in this countdown, and Accept is my #2 all time opening band. They were incredible. They were touring Metal Heart in 1985 and they simply blew me away.

Here's a pro shot video of Accept in Japan in 1985..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTc2brOkos
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2022, 01:33:59 PM »
26. Page & Plant

October 23, 1995
Fleetcenter, Boston

Setlist:
The Wanton Song
Heartbreaker
What Is and What Should Never Be
Thank You
No Quarter/Tangerine
Hurdy Gurdy Solo
Gallows Pole
Since I've Been Loving You
The Song Remains the Same
Going to California
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Whole Lotta Love
Dancing Days
In The Evening
Black Dog
Kashmir

Here's the show!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTc2brOkos

Here is a Pro Shot from Irvine Meadows 3 weeks earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMx7xw87zE

I actually also saw them on April 9, 1995 at the Boston Garden.
Here's that show!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5c02V2bgks

I wasn't sure what my expectations were for these shows. I just knew that I had to go. Long story, but I passed up my ticket to Jimmy page's '88 show in Worcester, and I had always regretted it. I had never previously ever felt like I needed to see Robert Plant though.
This was as close to the Led Zeppelin experience as you could get. These shows were great.
To me, that actual star of the show was drummer Michael Lee. He gave the band some serious pop and energy. He was dead on every song and really drove the whole thing. He was a fascinating watch and I spent a lot of the show just watching him. Sadly, he passed away 13 years later at the age of 39 after a fatal epileptic seizure.

The April show was one of the (if not THE) last concert at the old Garden, and the October show was one of the first (if not THE) at the new Fleetcenter. Checking Setlist FM, seems they were the second band. REM played there 3 weeks earlier. It also lists The Tragically Hip as the opener. I have no clue if I even saw them.

What's the difference between the Boston Garden and the Fleetcenter?
The Fleetcenter is now known as the TD Garden, but around here it will always be called the New Garden.

The new Garden was built literally inches from the old Garden..

The lower bowl..

The old Garden demolished...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »
Stads - setlist.fm is often wrong. I collected bootlegs from the original Queensryche (1982-1997), and I rely on those complete shows for the setlists I post at anybodylistening.net. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to setlist.fm, and it is totally incorrect.

I've experienced a lot of wrong SETLISTS; they either copy it from the night before, or from the live albums/boots that circulate, and those are often wrong.  I've not noticed a lot of wrong DATES, though.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2022, 02:06:28 PM »
Setlist.fm is like the wikipedia of Setlists.  It's a good tool when it's accurate, but it's mainly a site that's driven that by fan input, which is or isn't, accurate.

Anywho, interesting shows to start off the list.  I would imagine something like a show from the World Slavery Tour or a Page & Plant tour, for anyone else, be higher in the list, so I'm really curious on what the bar is as we progress.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
So I saw Accept open for Kiss in '84, and they were good.

I didn't see the Powerslave tour.

I did see the Page and Plant tour, albeit earlier - April, 1995 - and I will say this:  "The Song Remains The Same" in that show was the single greatest moment in a concert I've ever experienced.  It was transcendent.  I was with my buddy, who was a die-hard Zeppelin fan, and after the song was over I looked at him and he looked at me and we were like "what did we just see?"   I know it sounds whack, but I felt like I was in a trance, like I got transported somewhere else.  The power of music, indeed.  It was so good.  (And for the record, I was sober; I don't usually - usually - get wasted before shows, and didn't even then). 

We also got a couple other surprises:  "Lullabye", a Cure song (Porl Thompson was the second guitar player) and Plant sang "Shake My Tree", a Coverdale Page song.  And killed it!   Another highlight:  Calling To You, Plant's solo song; the band brought it down and he was mumbling and scatting, and then as if from nowhere, he sang "For What It's Worth" by the Buffalo Springfield; the arena was dark, with red and blue lights and he was singing, then when he did the "Stop! Hey! What's that sound?" he went to his high register and the white lights from the stage came on... what a moment.  Plant even then wasn't as good as he once was, but once he was as good as he ever was.  That show totally changed my opinion of Zeppelin; when people talk about them being a live band, and having to see them when they were on, that explained it for me.

Thank You
Bring It On Home
Ramble On
Dancing Days
Shake My Tree
Lullaby
No Quarter
Gallows Pole
Hurdy-Gurdy Solo
When the Levee Breaks
Hey Hey What Can I Do
The Song Remains the Same
Since I've Been Loving You
Friends
Calling to You (Robert Plant cover) (Medley: Break On Through, For… more )
Four Sticks
In the Evening

Encore:
Black Dog
Kashmir

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
Tum, the only concert I saw at the old Garden was Athens Kinks w/ Tommy Shaw opening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2022, 02:19:10 PM »
Anywho, interesting shows to start off the list.  I would imagine something like a show from the World Slavery Tour or a Page & Plant tour, for anyone else, be higher in the list, so I'm really curious on what the bar is as we progress.

You have a lot of questions! :lol

If it weren't for Accept, the show would not have made the list. Yes, I know it's a classic set, but don't worry, there'll be plenty of Maiden to come!

@Stadler, that's pretty much the same set we got in April.  Yes! Shake My Tree!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2022, 02:20:14 PM »
Tum, the only concert I saw at the old Garden was Athens Kinks w/ Tommy Shaw opening.

My name is not Tum, and who on earth are the Athens Kinks? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »
so I'm really curious on what the bar is as we progress.

The bar is basically, if I had a time machine and could go back relive my experience, which shows would I time travel to?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2022, 02:33:48 PM »
When we were in California in 2019, we drove through Long Beach and I told my wife, we have to go by the Long Beach Arena. I wanted to drive into the parking lot and take a look around, but there was some event happening, so we had to settle fora drive by.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2022, 02:46:59 PM »

Holy shit Tam.  I guess I should read before hitting send.

The Kinks
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2022, 02:49:23 PM »

Holy shit Tam.  I guess I should read before hitting send.

The Kinks

Tam?  :lol

At the old Garden I saw:
Alice Cooper
U2
Aerosmith

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2022, 02:58:44 PM »

You have a lot of questions! :lol

I'm just naturally curious when it comes reading good stories of your experiences in life.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2022, 03:15:46 PM »
A show from the World Slavery Tour not even making the top 25.  :lol Wow!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 03:21:00 PM »
Tee hee. I saw U2 in the Orpheum and The Centrum, 1983 & 85.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »
Tee hee. I saw U2 in the Orpheum and The Centrum, 1983 & 85.

Garden  '87 and Foxboro '92.

'83 at the Orpheum sounds awesome. Must've been one of your first shows.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2022, 03:36:17 PM »
My 3rd

Asia
Rainbow
U2
Judas Priest
Rush
KISS

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2022, 03:39:40 PM »
27. Iron Maiden
       Accept

June 2, 1985
Providence Civic Center

WASP opened up for Maiden on their Texas tour, a few months before they got to you. A moth later I saw Accept's headlining gig for Metal Heart. It all worked out well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2022, 03:46:11 PM »
27. Iron Maiden
       Accept

June 2, 1985
Providence Civic Center

WASP opened up for Maiden on their Texas tour, a few months before they got to you. A moth later I saw Accept's headlining gig for Metal Heart. It all worked out well.

I would've loved to have seen WASP in 1985. Iron Maiden played in Worcester in January of 1985 with Twisted Sister opening, but Worcester was too far for my parents to be comfortable with me going.

I'm basing my rankings on how much I enjoyed them at the time, and a 16 y/o TAC was quite skeptical of Powerslave at the time. There's a handful of Maiden shows that I enjoyed more, and I only really listed it to get Accept in.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
27. Iron Maiden
       Accept

June 2, 1985
Providence Civic Center

I would've loved to have seen WASP in 1985. Iron Maiden played in Worcester in January of 1985 with Twisted Sister opening, but Worcester was too far for my parents to be comfortable with me going.

I'm basing my rankings on how much I enjoyed them at the time, and a 16 y/o TAC was quite skeptical of Powerslave at the time. There's a handful of Maiden shows that I enjoyed more, and I only really listed it to get Accept in.

Oh yeah, I get all that and I know you're views on Powerslave, but it doesn't make it any less mindblowing from where I sit.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2022, 05:34:52 PM »
So far, the tours on your list that I also caught (iin Vancouver) are:

Van Halen - May 1,  1984. Meat Puppets were the opening act. This show would likely make my top 25 also, edging out the VH show I saw in 82.

Iron Maiden - December 9, 1984. Twisted Sister were the opening act. I’d much rather have seen Accept, although I did catch them earlier in the year with Saxon.

Page & Plant - May 26, 1995. Lazy Susan were the opening act. I don’t remember anything about them, but Page & Plant were transcendent.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2022, 06:05:55 PM »
I had a few friends going to that Page/Plant show.  I passed.  Had I known they were gonna play so much LZ, I would have gone. Darn it.

I will echo the sentiment that setlist.fm is a nice reference, but is often wrong.

And I don't see the issue with Rod Stewart either.  He is by no means a favorite, but he has some good tunes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2022, 06:21:10 PM »
The joke about Rod is that he's not what your think Tim would go see live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2022, 06:22:40 PM »
I remember a LOT of VH and Autograph concert shirts showing up at school after that tour came through town.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't regret missing it.  But it would have been fun.  Autograph was one of those bands I never could bring myself to take seriously.  And outside of Turn Up the Radio, I don't know anyone that did.

I actually felt bad for them. I don't think all of the arena lights were even down for them, and I remember some dude standing up giving two middle fingers to them. Nobody wanted to sit through their set.

I also kind of feel bad for them for the fact that, I think for years afterward, people know the song, but don't even know who the band is.  I'm sure a lot of FM stations back in the day got calls like, "Hey, can you play that Turn Up the Radio song by...uh...is it Quiet Riot?  Van Halen?  Um...who does that one?" 

For your other ones:  Wish I had been into Maiden back then.  But better late than never.  Never got into any of the opening acts listed for that tour. 

Don't like Page/Plant.  Don't care.

No issue with Rod Stewart.  He legit had some good tunes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
So far, the tours on your list that I also caught (iin Vancouver) are:

Van Halen - May 1,  1984. Meat Puppets were the opening act. This show would likely make my top 25 also, edging out the VH show I saw in 82.

Iron Maiden - December 9, 1984. Twisted Sister were the opening act. I’d much rather have seen Accept, although I did catch them earlier in the year with Saxon.

Page & Plant - May 26, 1995. Lazy Susan were the opening act. I don’t remember anything about them, but Page & Plant were transcendent.

Hah! Six shows listed, and you've been to three of them. Nice hit rate. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be close to 50%.

I'm sure a lot of FM stations back in the day got calls like, "Hey, can you play that Turn Up the Radio song

I'm sure a lot didn't.  :lol

However, there will be a Quiet Riot mention later in the thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2022, 06:47:54 PM »

:caffeine:  Mine too (if I do a top 25 concerts thread).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2022, 06:49:08 PM »

:caffeine:  Mine too (if I do a top 25 concerts thread).

And I already know the show!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
Do you?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2022, 06:53:44 PM »
PM sent to confirm! ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
Interesting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2022, 06:10:46 AM »
Great write-ups so far! Following this thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2022, 06:51:48 AM »
My 3rd

Asia
Rainbow
U2
Judas Priest
Rush
KISS

That's a Stadler Christmas list, right there.  Dammit. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2022, 06:57:53 AM »

I also kind of feel bad for them for the fact that, I think for years afterward, people know the song, but don't even know who the band is.  I'm sure a lot of FM stations back in the day got calls like, "Hey, can you play that Turn Up the Radio song by...uh...is it Quiet Riot?  Van Halen?  Um...who does that one?" 

For your other ones:  Wish I had been into Maiden back then.  But better late than never.  Never got into any of the opening acts listed for that tour. 

Don't like Page/Plant.  Don't care.

No issue with Rod Stewart.  He legit had some good tunes.

So there's a local guy - Jimi Bell - that plays guitar.  He did some work on "Light Of Day" with Joan Jett, was the runner-up for Ozzy's gig (to Jeffrey Weigand - I mean, Zakk Wylde), claims to have written a track (uncredited) on Dehumanizer, was in House Of Lords, and he plays in a Purple/Rainbow/Whitesnake tribute band called "Beyond Purple".  He's now the lead guitar player in Autograph.   They played the Enfield Town Green for July 4th this past year.   I saw the first four songs or so.  ;)