Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19434 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #13 Video Game Tour
« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2022, 12:08:07 PM »
Jeez, on Powerslave, that's one of H's solos that Janick didn't butcher.  Very cool.

HAHAHAHA.  Did he swing the guitar instead?

He did, and not only that, he stuck his leg up on the speaker.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2022, 01:31:16 PM »
Ours was at the Bronco Bowl, one of Dallas's most beloved venues (it's a Home Depot now). About 5500 people. Killer show. And maybe it was a band thing, because the AC wasn't working for ours, either. If you think Boston gets hot, try Dallas.  :lol

I couldn't imagine.

The Ed Hunter tour was amazing!   I saw them in July 1999 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.  There was also no AC - I've read that many singers request the AC to be turned off at venues, as the dry air messes up their vocal cords.  Humid air is better for singing.  At the Chicago show, someone in the crowd said that it was 112 degrees on the stage that night, and I remember being soaked in sweat after the show. 

:metal

Iron Maiden - a fucking mug. Tim goes to a show, and buys a coffee mug. You could tell TAC was getting old in 1999.  :rollin

Also, the mug is pretty cool.  Maybe an odder thing to buy at a metal show

:lol :lol

It actually was not lost on me at the time. I joked about it then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2022, 03:37:12 PM »
Seeing Maiden in a smaller venue must have been amazing.  :metal

I almost got a chance to see them in a similar sized venue on the X Factor tour, but the show was cancelled with only hours of notice, due to personal reasons for a band member. Not that seeing Maiden with Blaze would be comparable to seeing them with Bruce, but it would have been a cool experience.

I actually missed TXF tour. They played in Providence and Boston on consecutive nights and my boss would not let me take one of those nights off. I was pissed.

I did see them on the VXI tour in Phoenix at the Celebrity Theater. We just happened to be on vacation out there when they were there. No clue how I talked my wife into that.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #12 Oh Holy Images
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2022, 04:19:23 PM »
12.  Dream Theater

December 16, 1992
Axis, Boston

Setlist:
Metropolis Pt. 1
Under a Glass Moon
Surrounded
Pull Me Under
The Ytse Jam
(with drum solo)
Moon Bubbles
Another Day
Another Hand
The Killing Hand
Take the Time
Wait for Sleep
O Holy Night
Learning to Live

Believe it or not, this was my third time seeing Dream Theater. I had seen them in the summer, and then they played at Axis in Boston in October. They would come back to Axis 2 months later. Axis was a very small club with a 750 capacity. I have no idea how they'd get 750 in there honestly.

One thing about Axis is that there was this really weird second floor, with no views of the stage. It was literally like the Moloko Milk Bar from A Clockwork Orange.

One night I went to see Mr. Bungle there, and we go upstairs and there's all these gypsies selling jewelry and shit. WTF??

Anyway, at this point, Dream Theater was everything to me. I was so immersed in Images & Words. It was so exciting to go see them. You could also tell that it was a musician's crowd. Opening up with Metropolis, with that mid section was ridiculous. It was like BAM!

I also fell in love with The Killing Hand which they played in both of the October and December shows. I vividly remember MP standing up and spinning his cymbals in the "I'm in the valley" section.

A local band called Moodcrush opened and they were also fantastic. When DT returned 3 months later to play Avalon next door, they had Moodcrush play with them again.

I have the bootleg to this show, but it's really not that great. Warpy battery, but Oh Holy Night actually came out pretty good, so I'll upload that if anyone wants to hear it. It's a great version, much different than the acoustic version from the Rhode Island telethon.

https://we.tl/t-1TVcMiyl9R

Some pics from the show..

Even got a JP pick!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2022, 04:38:58 PM »
Jeez, on Powerslave, that's one of H's solos that Janick didn't butcher.  Very cool.

HAHAHAHA.  Did he swing the guitar instead?

:rollin  This comment is outstanding, so fucking clever Bill, love it.

If you listen, it isn't Adrian level of course, but he somewhat stays true to parts of the solo, which coloured me surprised!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »
Man, to see DT on the I&W tour so up close and personal, just wow!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »
Man, to see DT on the I&W tour so up close and personal, just wow!!

James was great on the '92 leg. Definitely download the Oh Holy Night. He's tremendous.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2022, 04:46:50 PM »
I purchased some JP picks a couple years ago, I really like them and use them all the time now.  Looking at that pick, seems like he's stayed true to what he's used all along.  Good shit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »
I purchased some JP picks a couple years ago, I really like them and use them all the time now.  Looking at that pick, seems like he's stayed true to what he's used all along.  Good shit.

Yeah, it's a Dunlop Jazz III right? He's still with them. I was surprised how small it was. And that was before the Paul Bunyan arms.

It's a little scratched up from sitting in a drawer for 30 years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2022, 05:09:56 PM »

Yeah, it's a Dunlop Jazz III right? He's still with them. I was surprised how small it was. And that was before the Paul Bunyan arms.

It's a little scratched up from sitting in a drawer for 30 years.

Yep, looks like the jazz one.  I actually purchased the purple flow picks which is similar but I see you can buy the jazz ones which looks near the same.  That's a hell of a piece of memorabilia mate.  To be anyway.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2022, 05:19:52 PM »
This is another show I’m jealous of. Even though I became a Dream Theater fan in 1989, I didn’t get to see them live until 2003 when I saw them in Seattle on the triple bill with Queensryche and Fates Warning. They had never played Vancouver before, but after that Seattle show they suddenly started playing here all the time, which was great.

Those are some great up-close photos.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2022, 05:29:29 PM »
Count me in as being jealous as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2022, 05:38:00 PM »
Those are some great up-close photos.

The problem with being so close was that most of the pics kind of suck. :lol These are the best ones..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2022, 05:53:51 PM »
I've been pretty much jealous of every single concert Tim has been to.......except KISS.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2022, 08:48:29 PM »
I've been pretty much jealous of every single concert Tim has been to.......except KISS.  :lol
Definitely not Kiss here either. :)  Jealousy is probably too strong for most of his submissions.  For example I think it would have been really cool to see Judas Priest when he did, and I like reading about it.  But I'm jealous of the DT and Rush and Maiden shows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2022, 08:53:53 PM »
Half a year before I saw them in the iconic Warwick R.I. boot at an Amusement park. What an energetic tour. Can't say enough.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2022, 02:49:33 AM »
Yeah, jealous too and I was going to say that pic looks like one JP gave to the guy next to me at the Red Bank show earlier this year. So fucking cool to have seen DT back then and I'm sure there's more from the Era coming on your list

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2022, 03:42:49 AM »
Man, imagine having to pick your top concerts in order when you’ve seen all these awesome shows!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2022, 04:33:46 AM »
Man, imagine having to pick your top concerts in order when you’ve seen all these awesome shows!

I would need to see 25 concerts first before I could even do a list!  :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2022, 06:44:42 AM »
14. Iron Maiden

July 18, 1999
Orpheum, Boston

This was my very first time seeing Maiden, in New York at Hammerstein Ballroom, 2 days earlier.  Such an amazing show!  The crowd was electric and the band was on fire.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2022, 06:56:04 AM »
JP picks are great, I used 3 of his picks and all 3 feel great when playing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2022, 06:57:17 AM »

I didn't realize he used a jazz III for as long as he has. I played Jazz III's for the past 15 years but recently I found the prodigy pics from Ernie Ball which are amazing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2022, 07:09:05 AM »

I didn't realize he used a jazz III for as long as he has. I played Jazz III's for the past 15 years but recently I found the prodigy pics from Ernie Ball which are amazing.
By far, top and bottom middle picks are the best picks I have ever used. I got the bottom middle at his last G3 (2018?), and while is a little bigger than the Jazz III, it still feels great.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
DT headlining in 1992. Doesn't get much better. Really cool, Tim!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
Funny thing, this and the Kiss show are the only two so far I AM jealous of (maybe because I saw variations on the other ones). 

I've been to both Axis and Avalon.  Good times. I'm skeptical that "newer" will be "better".

Offline Lethean

« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Funny thing, this and the Kiss show are the only two so far I AM jealous of (maybe because I saw variations on the other ones). 

I've been to both Axis and Avalon.  Good times. I'm skeptical that "newer" will be "better".

I don't think newer is automatically better.  Or older either.  I'm jealous of the DT shows because they're one of my favorite bands and I'd like to have seen every tour.  I'd like to have seen them at the beginning, as I've seen them at the middle and what is now presumably towards the end.  The same with Rush.  I feel like if I had to choose, I got the better deal because I got to see them do the 3 hour shows, as well as hearing from multiple people that they were just a little bit better/more relaxed/happy to be on stage when they came back.  But certainly it would have been cool to see them when Geddy was real young and to hear him singing some of that old stuff live like he did on the record.  Etc. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2022, 01:28:49 PM »

I don't think newer is automatically better.  Or older either.  I'm jealous of the DT shows because they're one of my favorite bands and I'd like to have seen every tour.  I'd like to have seen them at the beginning, as I've seen them at the middle and what is now presumably towards the end.  The same with Rush.  I feel like if I had to choose, I got the better deal because I got to see them do the 3 hour shows, as well as hearing from multiple people that they were just a little bit better/more relaxed/happy to be on stage when they came back.  But certainly it would have been cool to see them when Geddy was real young and to hear him singing some of that old stuff live like he did on the record.  Etc.

Dream Theater is probably THE band I kick myself most about seeing early on.  I love that I saw Maiden as an opening act.  It's not like I wasn't a DT fan - I bought I&W on release - it's not like I wasn't close - Toad's Place was 35 minutes from my house, and I could be at Hammersmith or Axis in about two hours, easy - and it's not like I didn't have the means - I was a single guy making good coin at construction.   Why I didn't see them in a club at that time is an incomprehensible oversight as far as I'm concerned.  I can only surmise that my relative lack of presence on the internet at that time may have been a factor.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »

By far, top and bottom middle picks are the best picks I have ever used. I got the bottom middle at his last G3 (2018?), and while is a little bigger than the Jazz III, it still feels great.

Bottom middle ones are the ones I have, they are indeed amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2022, 02:36:45 PM »
Half a year before I saw them in the iconic Warwick R.I. boot at an Amusement park. What an energetic tour. Can't say enough.

I skipped that show. It was a Saturday night and had to listen to it on the radio while putting together a dining room set. I should've said fuck off, but I was going to a lot of shows at that time, and well, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I would see them at Avalon in March, which holds about 2500 people, so they were building their audience. I also had tix to see them in Providence in Feb '93, but there was a damn blizzard, and as soon as I got on the highway, I turned right back around.

The thing about this era of DT is that I feel like I was just lucky. There was no internet and PMU hadn't really broke. I just happened to see them and watched the music papers in Boston and you literally wouldn't know about a show until you saw it in an ad.

I was out of college for a couple years at this point and I thought I'd never find a "new" band, like I would discover bands when I was younger.
I was old enough to go to club shows and it was just really exciting. Images & Words was a musical life changing album. From the moment I bought it, I didn't listen to much else for a year and a half.

I'm working on an update now that should be ready tonight. It's a good one! I'll likely be unable to update tomorrow, but will again on Sunday. I plan on finishing next Friday so whoever is going next...

EDIT: Gee, I'm glad I included JP's pick in the post. Wasn't expecting so much pick talk. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »
I told you Tim, it's an amazing piece of memorabilia.  :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »
Hearing 92 prime James that close with this setlist is like living Heaven on Earth. So F*CKING jealous.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2022, 03:29:35 PM »
Hearing 92 prime James that close with this setlist is like living Heaven on Earth. So F*CKING jealous.

I posted a download link to Oh Holy Night. It's worth a listen. James is fantastic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #11 A Titanic Evening
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »
11. Clash Of The Titans
           Anthrax
            Slayer
          Megadeth
       Alice In Chains

July 6, 1991
Great Woods, Mansfield MA

Anthrax:
Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
Got the Time
Caught in a Mosh
Keep It in the Family
Indians
Antisocial
I'm the Man
I Am the Law

Slayer:
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
War Ensemble
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
Dead Skin Mask
Seasons in the Abyss
Mandatory Suicide
Angel of Death

Megadeth:
Wake Up Dead
Hook in Mouth
Hangar 18
The Conjuring
In My Darkest Hour
Dawn Patrol
Tornado of Souls
Holy Wars
Peace Sells
Anarchy in the U.K.

Alice In Chains:
Would?
Real Thing
Put You Down
We Die Young
Bleed the Freak
It Ain't Like That
Man in the Box

Anthrax:
Bootleg vid from Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPrSf5ZEskM

Hampton Va
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EterEsL49o

Slayer:
Boot from Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuNBQ9AqiDM

Hampton VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7uGpqF1wGc

Megadeth:
Boot from Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMuJUP6N6Y

Alice In Chains:
Weedsport NY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XyVy71v1s

Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ep1hC6V270

There used to be tours in Europe called The Clash Of The Titans, similar to The Monsters Of Rock, but it was on a much smaller scale and had more of a thrash edge to it. I remember seeing the ads in Kerrang.
So when they announced a Clash tour in the US for the summer of 1991, which included Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer, this was a must go. They tour had each band basically playing a 55 minute set, rotating headlining. What was interesting was that even when we got to the show, we had no idea what the band order would be. I am not even sure that I knew Alice In Chains was opening, for that matter.

I love daylight shows. Seeing Megadeth, playing pretty much all of their set in daylight to dusk was awesome.
This was my second time seeing Anthrax and Megadeth on their respective tours and the third time seeing Slayer on the Seasons tour. In fact, of the three bands, only Slayer did an actual headlining run.

The Priest and the Titans tours were the only times Megadeth came through, and that's after headlining theaters on the SFSGSW tour. I never understood this. Anthrax did come through again in the fall co-headling with Public Enemy, and needless to say, I skipped that. Persistence Of Time and Rust In Peace begged for headlining runs.

Anyway, we were there early and saw Alice In Chains. they were pretty cool. I already had their first album. They opened with Would? which I was unfamiliar with as it's not on the album.

Megadeth was awesome, as was Slayer. For some reason, Anthrax didn't give me the same vibe that they did 6 months earlier opening for Maiden. I love Anthrax, but I don't know if their thing worked with Joey wearing the Indian headpiece right after Slayer melted our faces.

Some pics from the show..

We actually left before Anthrax finished. I didn't feel like we were going to miss anything, plus we wanted to beat the traffic out of Great Woods. Great Woods was notorious for having like 100 people helping you park, but having no one helping you out.
Anyway, when we left, we drove to Providence because Quiet Riot was playing at this place called JR's Fastlane.

We got there in time for Quiet Riot. This was a really small place, but it was cool to see them. Here's a pick.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2022, 05:27:47 PM »
I figured this one would show up on your list. I saw this tour too and Anthrax were also the headliner. If I am remembering correctly, the encore featured an extended version of Bring the Noise. So no, you didn't miss much. I enjoyed their set, apart from that song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2022, 06:56:34 PM »
I figured this one would show up on your list. I saw this tour too and Anthrax were also the headliner. If I am remembering correctly, the encore featured an extended version of Bring the Noise. So no, you didn't miss much. I enjoyed their set, apart from that song.

I always preferred John Bush doing Bring The Noise. His grittiness really made it so much stronger and convincing.