Author Topic: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #1 Puttin' On The Ritz  (Read 19771 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #15 Hell On Wheels
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »

That said….would it surprise you if I told you I have never heard one second of anything from these three bands?

Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys - pt. 1

Armored Saint: Symbol of Salvation

Go now. You're welcome.

:metal

The funny thing is that I didn't fly for 15 years. Made my family suffer for dozens of rides to Florida.
But.. my take off song is....Raising Fear! :metal I have it on pause and as soon as we head down the runway....it's on!

The lyrics are frightening..

"...With all your peers
You're going down...

...Everything has gone haywire
A sneak attack is going down...

...No one hears you
Then you disappear...

:lol

It's the first album I listen to on every plane ride. Ascending to Out On A Limb.. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
Great post and, indeed, fantastic pictures!

And to get one like that just out in the street...pretty amazing  :)

(btw, yes, Kiske looks REALLY young there...I mean, he was  :biggrin: but if you asked me I'd have guessed even younger than 19...)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2022, 04:57:35 PM »
Wow, those pics are amazing.  I love that Hell on Wheels show you can find on youtube.  Such a young band with so much passion and energy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2022, 05:34:55 PM »
HELL of a post, considering the announcement today. SO jealous of this one, as you know.

Armored Saint and Helloween on the same bill. MAN!  :metal

Great pics and memories, Tim.

I too am jealous, as I’ve never had the chance to see Helloween  :'(   i would have loved this triple bill back in 87, as I loved Helloween and really enjoyed Armored Saint and Grim Reaper too.

Amazing photos, TAC. So cool that you ran into the boys oustide Dunkin Donuts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2022, 06:22:12 PM »
Helloween is one band I have been lucky enough to see.  The Gambling with the Devil tour, was an excellent show.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #16 Revenged
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2022, 08:50:10 PM »
Never saw Kiss.... Got a chance since they're headlining the day of Aftershock that Nemophila is playing, but they're also going head to head against Meshuggah... May split the time or something.

Meshuggah will be around, Kiss may not be for much longer (who knows how long this final tour will go on for). Personally, I'm not a huge Kiss fan (I enjoy some of their music) but I wouldn't miss seeing them if you haven't yet and have the opportunity.

I only saw them twice on this final tour (back when it started in 2019) so I'm sure they aren't what they used to be live, but those were still fun shows.

Kiss really doesn't do much for me though...I'll probably catch about half an hour of Meshuggah's set, then half of Kiss, then hit the shuttle busses before the crush. Nemophila and Spiritbox are my big bands, and they're both earlier. Jinjer dropped out unfortunately. Everything else is just gravy, the other main ones I'll try and catch full sets will be Apopalyptica and Lamb of God. No matter, gonna be a fun ass day.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2022, 08:52:26 PM »
I couldn't ever imagine seeing Kiss again. Sorry, but I'm not into the Pauli Vanilli show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2022, 04:18:44 AM »
That's really awesome how you got to meet Helloween and then see them, I guess they knew who you were when the show started and made sure to look at your camera for those pictures.  Also it's funny to see them with cigarettes indoors.  You just don't see anything like that anymore.  I also can't imagine touring the world like that at 19.  I know it's not that odd for the entertainment business, but just seems like a wild way to grow up. 

I couldn't ever imagine seeing Kiss again. Sorry, but I'm not into the Pauli Vanilli show.

Well, you've seen them so the again doesn't work for RJ.  But of course I understand RJ's choices here. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2022, 07:47:53 AM »
That's really awesome how you got to meet Helloween and then see them, I guess they knew who you were when the show started and made sure to look at your camera for those pictures.  Also it's funny to see them with cigarettes indoors.  You just don't see anything like that anymore.  I also can't imagine touring the world like that at 19.  I know it's not that odd for the entertainment business, but just seems like a wild way to grow up. 

Yeah, what's the coolest thing about seeing those pictures. The cigarettes, the youth.
Kiske.. 19
Ingo..22
Markus..22
Kai...24
Weiki..25

Well, you've seen them so the again doesn't work for RJ.  But of course I understand RJ's choices here. 

Yeah, I wasn't addressing RJ, but Kiss has had me quite perplexed lately. I totally understand if you've never seen them and it's a bucket list item kind of thing, or if they are one of your favorite bands and can accept anything they do.
Sure, just walking a bit to go check them out when you're already there...I might actually do the same.

Me, I was a huge fan up to and including the Reunion. But it kind of ended for me there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #14 Rust In Pain
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »
14. Judas Priest
       Megadeth
       Testament

December 7, 1990
Centrum, Worcester

Judas Priest:
Hell Bent for Leather
Grinder
The Hellion
Electric Eye
All Guns Blazing
The Sentinel
Metal Gods
Night Crawler
The Ripper
Beyond the Realms of Death
Riding on the Wind
Drum Solo
A Touch of Evil
Victim of Changes
Painkiller
The Green Manalishi
Breaking the Law
Living After Midnight
You've Got Another Thing Comin'

Megadeth:
Wake Up Dead
Hook in Mouth
Hangar 18
The Conjuring
In My Darkest Hour
Take No Prisoners
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Peace Sells
Anarchy in the U.K.

Testament:
Disciples of the Watch
Sins of Omission
Practice What You Preach
Souls of Black
The Legacy
Face in the Sky

Judas Priest:
Pro Shot Footage from Detroit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeBY1rmBmw

Bootleg footage from Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6EXF7K08U
I had this back in the day and watched it all the time.

Bootleg footage from Toronto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCI1xbgIc2Y

Megadeth:
Pro Shot footage from Detroit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iuzDZiWRws

Bootleg footage from Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQN1CEzZO5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX96M8VN9Io

Testament:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fp4_2S0riM

I had first seen Judas Priest in 1986 on the Turbo tour. I've posted pics from that show. Dokken opened and it was a good concert but nothing else. I thought Turbo blew.

I skipped/ignored the Ram It Down tour, but for some reason Painkiller piqued my interest. I knew Scott Travis had joined JP, and he hits you over the head right out of the gate. Painkiller is such an awesome album and I decided that I was going to this show.
Also, opening was Megadeth, and I was heavy into them at this time. I loved SFSGSW, but I thought Rust In Peace was amazing. Painkiller Era Judas Priest/Megadeth makes Turbo Era Judas Priest/Dokken look like a creampuff tour.
And Testament to boot! I wasn't into them, but I was interested and they delivered a tasty short set.

I mentioned Jannick breathing life into Iron Maiden's live show, but Scott Travis picked Judas Priest up and put them on a whole 'nuther level. The album was heavy AF. The show...crazy intense.

Megadeth was excellent. I had a great view of Nick Menza and we were on Dave Ellefson's side. They killed it!
You could tell right off that Dave upgraded the band and they completely delivered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2022, 08:02:00 AM »
Very cool line up, would make for a great show today too

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2022, 08:15:31 AM »
HELL of a post, considering the announcement today. SO jealous of this one, as you know.

Armored Saint and Helloween on the same bill. MAN!  :metal

Great pics and memories, Tim.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, quite a coincidence..

I wish I was fully up on Armored Saint. I never thought March Of The Saint was all that great, so I wasn't anticipating them in the least. But they BLEW ME AWAY! I got Raising Fear right after that, and they came back to Providence three more times for that album.

Unfortunately I used up all of my film on Helloween.

That's a great experience.  I like how it looks like Michael is actually mugging for you (maybe he was!).  I love those connections people can make with music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
That's a great setlist for Priest.  The Sentinel live is worth the price of admission for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2022, 08:27:03 AM »
This was the night I finally fell in love with Grinder. This version is incredible.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2022, 11:19:19 AM »
I caught that Priest tour on October 31, 1990. It was my fifth time seeing Priest, as I’d seen them on each of the tours from Screaming for Vengeance onward. I can’t say from memory which show was the best Priest performance, but having Megadeth and Testament on the bill definitely made the Painkiller tour a standout show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »
14. Judas Priest
       Megadeth
       Testament

Holy fuck!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2022, 03:51:38 PM »
That's a great setlist for Priest.  The Sentinel live is worth the price of admission for me.

Tim is basically celebrity status to me now seeing Tipton perform that All Guns Blazing solo in the flesh!  :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »

Tim is basically celebrity status to me now seeing Tipton perform that All Guns Blazing solo in the flesh!  :hefdaddy

Halford's vocal intro to that is  :metal
Pick any of the posted videos and check it out!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2022, 03:59:19 PM »

Halford's vocal intro to that is  :metal
Pick any of the posted videos and check it out!!

Haha, I've already pretty much gone through the rabbit hole on Youtube for that tour.  :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2022, 04:00:26 PM »

Yeah, what's the coolest thing about seeing those pictures. The cigarettes, the youth.
Kiske.. 19
Ingo..22
Markus..22
Kai...24
Weiki..25

Yeah, I wasn't addressing RJ, but Kiss has had me quite perplexed lately. I totally understand if you've never seen them and it's a bucket list item kind of thing, or if they are one of your favorite bands and can accept anything they do.
Sure, just walking a bit to go check them out when you're already there...I might actually do the same.

Me, I was a huge fan up to and including the Reunion. But it kind of ended for me there.

It's not even a bucket list thing, I just happen to be at a festival they're headlining, and I figure I might as well catch a song or two to be able to say "yeah, I saw Kiss"  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 28, 2022, 04:02:47 PM »
What amazes me is that watching Glenn play that solo on the Detroit vid for example, it's so effortless and his fingers hardly move and that's in a live setting, yet the cover I did years ago, it looks so much more busy and nowhere near as efficient.  Such an incredible guitar player, so underrated.  I've never ranked my fav guitarists, but he may come out on top.  Something about him and his playing, perfect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: September 28, 2022, 04:04:24 PM »

It's not even a bucket list thing, I just happen to be at a festival they're headlining, and I figure I might as well catch a song or two to be able to say "yeah, I saw Kiss"  :lol

Yeah, totally cool!

What amazes me is that watching Glenn play that solo on the Detroit vid for example, it's so effortless and his fingers hardly move and that's in a live setting, yet the cover I did years ago, it looks so much more busy and nowhere near as efficient.  Such an incredible guitar player, so underrated.  I've never ranked my fav guitarists, but he may come out on top.  Something about him and his playing, perfect.

I'll pull up the Detroit show and zero in on that solo.

EDIT:  :metal

He has some long ass fingers.. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 25 Concert Countdown #13 Video Game Tour
« Reply #267 on: September 28, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »
14. Iron Maiden

July 18, 1999
Orpheum, Boston

Setlist:
Aces High
Wrathchild
The Trooper
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clansman
Wasted Years
Killers
Futureal
Man on the Edge
Powerslave
Phantom of the Opera
The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run to the Hills

Apparently Clutch opened the show. I didn't see any of them..

I actually have the full boot of the show, but this guy on youtube has only single songs up.
Here's Powerslave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qlYvX7fVw
Rare to have a Dave/Jannick version of this..

Phantom Of The Opera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6sGi3h-kU

Bootleg video from Hamburg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TguoHe72n80

Bootleg video from St. John, NS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOl1_xaSNMU
(sound isn't great)

In the summer of 1999, Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith reunited with Iron Maiden. The band released the Ed Hinter video game, and the tour was dubbed the Ed Hunter tour.
And it was a theater tour!!!! The Orpheum has a capacity of 2700. It was ridiculous to see Iron Maiden on a stage so small. I cannot convey just how cool that was.

The set was a collection of classic tracks. Most notably, Bruce sang THREE Blaze era tracks...The Clansman, Futureal, and Man On The Edge.

Unfortunately for my show in Boston, it was one of a handful of shows Adrian missed due to the death of his father. In a way, that kind of makes these shows a bit rarer. A Jannick/Dave version of Powerslave!!

This was literally the hottest show I've ever been to. For some reason the AC was shut off. I remember going to the bathroom and running my shirt under cold water and putting it back on.

The energy, the heat, the size of the venue....yeah, I'd do this show all over again! One of my favorite Maiden shows.

Oh, and for some reason, I bought a fucking coffee mug at the show..  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #268 on: September 28, 2022, 10:36:32 PM »
 Seeing Maiden in a smaller venue must have been amazing.  :metal

I almost got a chance to see them in a similar sized venue on the X Factor tour, but the show was cancelled with only hours of notice, due to personal reasons for a band member. Not that seeing Maiden with Blaze would be comparable to seeing them with Bruce, but it would have been a cool experience.

P.S. I have a Maiden coffee mug too, bought for me as a Christmas gift. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #269 on: September 28, 2022, 11:49:29 PM »
That's awesome TAC.  Seeing them in a theater is probably way different than in an arena. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2022, 04:02:09 AM »

Yeah, totally cool!

I'll pull up the Detroit show and zero in on that solo.

EDIT:  :metal

He has some long ass fingers.. :lol

Some of his stretch phrases are almost impossible to replicate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2022, 04:05:28 AM »
Oh, and for some reason, I bought a fucking coffee mug at the show..  :lol

:lol  To be fair, it's a pretty badass mug!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2022, 04:09:20 AM »
Jeez, on Powerslave, that's one of H's solos that Janick didn't butcher.  Very cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2022, 08:20:31 AM »
That must have been something to see that tour.  I loved hearing those blaze songs with Bruce too from the Eddies Archive collection. Also seeing them in a theater, with Bruce! Do you recall if it was sold out?  Also, the mug is pretty cool.  Maybe an odder thing to buy at a metal show, but a cool souvenir none the less.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2022, 08:38:49 AM »
14. Iron Maiden

July 18, 1999
Orpheum, Boston

Ours was at the Bronco Bowl, one of Dallas's most beloved venues (it's a Home Depot now). About 5500 people. Killer show. And maybe it was a band thing, because the AC wasn't working for ours, either. If you think Boston gets hot, try Dallas.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2022, 08:45:49 AM »
First...that Judas Priest/Megadeth/Testament bill in 1990 was CRAZY. So awesome. That was what, the Painkiller/Rust in Piece/Practice What You Preach album cycles for all three? Honestly - arguably the best albums for each band. What a great bill to see. Killer.

Iron Maiden - a fucking mug. Tim goes to a show, and buys a coffee mug. You could tell TAC was getting old in 1999.  :rollin

All kidding aside, it IS a bad ass mug, and so cool that you got to see the Ed Hunter tour. I ended up going a year later at Madison Square Garden for the Brave New World tour. My first Maiden show, and I was really only there to see Queensryche, as I wasn't a hardcore Maiden fan until AFTER the gig. I stupidly left to catch the train before Maiden's set was over, as I had to get home and drive back to law school in MA the next day (it was my first year, so I was terrified).  :facepalm: I never left a Maiden show early again...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:15 AM »
The Ed Hunter tour was amazing!   I saw them in July 1999 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.  There was also no AC - I've read that many singers request the AC to be turned off at venues, as the dry air messes up their vocal cords.  Humid air is better for singing.  At the Chicago show, someone in the crowd said that it was 112 degrees on the stage that night, and I remember being soaked in sweat after the show. 

It was my first Maiden show and the excitement of Bruce and Adrian being back was HUGE.  As was seeing them in a small venue. 

Bruce introduced the Clansman by saying that "this is not a song about men in pointy white hats."    :lol   I had the Hamburg video on VHS and transferred it to DVD.  Such a fun reminder of what the show I saw was like. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »

Kiske.. 19
Ingo..22
Markus..22
Kai...24
Weiki..25

I'd love to hear your thoughts; I don't expect a "WOW, they're now my favorite band!" response, but it'd be interesting to hear if they met your expectations, exceeded them, or failed to meet them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »
That's awesome TAC.  Seeing them in a theater is probably way different than in an arena.

I've seen Jethro Tull twice at the Orpheum.  To maybe have seen Maiden there... I give a tooth to see that. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »
Jeez, on Powerslave, that's one of H's solos that Janick didn't butcher.  Very cool.

HAHAHAHA.  Did he swing the guitar instead?