1 (3.3%)
3-5
6 (20%)
6-9
6 (20%)
10+
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: How many bands do you usually listen to in a given week (on average)?  (Read 1119 times)

Online The Letter M

How many different bands or artists do you typically rotate between during any given week on average?

Is it usually the same one or two bands, and you just binge on their whole catalog? Or do you do a few bands at a time? Or perhaps you don't really listen to full albums anymore so you just shuffle singles and favorites so you probably hit 10 or more bands?

Personally, I think I'm on the 3-5 range depending on my mood and if I've got a new album to listen to. If I've got a new album, that specific band probably dominates my listening for the week, but if not, I can bounce between several artists' albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: How many bands do you usually listen to in a given week (on average)?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 12:53:12 AM »
100% 10+ every week.

Now that I have a job that allows me to work from home I devour so much music. According to my Last.fm report for last week, I listened to 154 artists  :lol

https://www.last.fm/user/twosuitsluke83/listening-report/week

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 03:48:31 AM »
10+ with ease, and that's with not listening to that much music at all (compared to some folks here who clock several hours a day). I mean, even if you only have the radio on for about an hour you'll have heard 10+ artists.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 04:56:21 AM »
I went with the 6-9 option but it's probably 10+ more often than not.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 05:14:07 AM »
I alternate between listening to albums and shuffeling all or selections of my music (years, genres, bands etc).

Somtimes I randomly select an album.

I am pretty sure that any given week I will hear more than 10 different artist. Usually much more than that.

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 06:17:53 AM »
Well it was 8 last week according to last.fm, some weeks it's probably only 2 or 3. Although actually that won't take in to account stuff I've listened to on Youtube. I'm still mostly a full album guy (apart from my large classical playlists on Youtube) and these days it's mostly alternating between recent albums, with the occasional binge of a specific artist thrown in. For example, this month most of my listening has been to Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Muse, Long Distance Calling and System of a Down.

I listen to much less music now than I did 10-15 years ago. I checked the same week from 2008 and I listened to 44 artists.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 07:03:03 AM »
Anywhere from 10 to 100.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 07:09:14 AM »
Never 101?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »
Only if my 80s playlist dominates the week.  :hat :hat

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:31 AM »
Probably 100+. I always listen to my Release Radar and Discovery Weekly playlists when they refresh and then anything I like from there I dig into their discography. Once I've hit that, I may listen to another playlist or discography depending on what I'm feeling.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 07:37:10 AM »
Usually it's more than 10 and I listen to music most of the day.  Lately it's been about 5-7 as I've been on a bit of a binge for the last month.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »
It goes in waves. Like I will cycle through about 5 ish bands over a week or two and then change it up.

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 08:10:41 AM »
I usually shuffle my library when I listen to music at home unless I’m listening to a new CD or just have the itch to listen to a whole album or chunk of a band’s catalog, so I easily hit 10+ a day. But then when I’m driving I’m usually listening to CDs, and when I walk I tend to listen to an album at a time. So I do a good bit of both shuffling and album listening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 10:39:33 AM »
If listening to a single song counts as enough, then it's dozens almost every single week.  If I'm listening to a lot of playlists I'm sure it's occasionally in the hundreds.  Some weeks I'm more obsessed with a single artist or two and it's a lot lower. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »
I went with three to five. I usually discover three new albums bands per week, each album by a different band (new for me, so it's either old albums I haven't heard or the newly released stuff) and I spend the entire week playing those three albums. Then I occasionally spin one or two more albums that week, which in total is up to five bands, I guess.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
Expect it changes week to week but probably 6-9 sometimes 10+

Each week I'll usually focuss on a new release when can while dabbling with other new records, and will always have a heritage act album or catalog taking up about half my listening space too ;)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 07:24:26 PM by WardySI »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 09:37:27 AM »
Probably 100+.

I doubt I listen to 100 bands in the course of a year. I'd struggle to name 100 bands.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 12:34:49 PM »
Probably 100+.

I doubt I listen to 100 bands in the course of a year. I'd struggle to name 100 bands.

I work from home and when I'm not on a conference call, music is playing. I probably average 5hrs of music a work day. So 25hrs a week minimum, listening to the same band does not sound fulfilling to me.

Just checked my playlists that I listen to every week - Release radar is 30 songs, all different artists. Discovery weekly is the same. So thats minimum 60 artists covered in just 2 playlists that are both about 2 hours.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 01:31:37 PM »
Last week, according to my Last.fm account, I listened to 104 artists. Week before was 50. Then 51, 131, 77, 48, 50, etc. You get the idea. Anywhere between 50-100 usually. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DTA

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 04:33:00 PM »
Probably about 10. I usually cycle through a few new albums per week and devote most of my listening to them, but I often listen to older shit at the gym, bike, or in the car.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 04:45:52 PM »
Eh....some weeks I'll focus on a couple of bands and cycle through a few albums if I'm in that mood.  When I'm not really feeling a band inparticular, I'm usually cycling a random mix in the car.  So it varies. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »
Minimum ten a week.  It’ll depend on whether or not I’m listening to playlists or albums.  Sometimes, it can be 10 or more in a day, or I’m blasting through a band’s discography.  I’ve always got music on while I’m the car, and at work.  I can’t listen to talk radio at all.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 08:32:52 PM »
Probably 100+.

I work from home and when I'm not on a conference call, music is playing. I probably average 5hrs of music a work day. So 25hrs a week minimum, listening to the same band does not sound fulfilling to me.

Just checked my playlists that I listen to every week - Release radar is 30 songs, all different artists. Discovery weekly is the same. So thats minimum 60 artists covered in just 2 playlists that are both about 2 hours.

If it wasn't obvious my comment about my own limitations   :)

But since you gave me a reason to consider my answer, I was thinking of artists I listen to purposefully. There are times when I listen to internet radio which would make that number skyrocket, but I consider that more as listening to the radio than intentionally listening to a specific band.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bobzor

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 03:50:06 AM »
I only listen to full albums and so I suppose I'm in the 3-5 group. I sometimes listen to playlists but only as background music while commuting or (very rarely) while working and so I don't really count that as actually listening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 06:54:40 AM »
Sometimes I'm in searching mode, or I have a pile of new CDs to listen to, and it can be 10 to 20, and sometimes I get on a kick, or I have some box sets to listen to, and it can be 1-5.  Right now I'm in between, so it's about 5 or 6.  But I have two Beatles boxes and two Dead boxes to listen to, so it might be 1 for the next couple weeks, depending if I get in a mood.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 09:15:41 AM »
Probably 100+.

If it wasn't obvious my comment about my own limitations   :)

But since you gave me a reason to consider my answer, I was thinking of artists I listen to purposefully. There are times when I listen to internet radio which would make that number skyrocket, but I consider that more as listening to the radio than intentionally listening to a specific band.

I'm in between this.  I listen to music most of the day; sometimes when I'm working I can also pay attention to the music and sometimes not.  I usually listen to full albums, so I might listen to 15-30 ish bands when I'm not obsessing over something in particular.  When I'm in a certain mood I might listen to a ton of the same band and then it goes way down even if I'm still listening for the same number of hours a day.

Offline emtee

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »
For pretty much my entire life, I tend to get deeply immersed in one album for a period of time. Then, from there I tend to get immersed into the same bands discography. Eventually something new or different will break me from this but then I go into repeat mode all over again with a different band.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
Some of the answers in this thread are very eye opening. I do sometimes wonder how it would've been if I had been born of this era and in my teens and access to this much music if I'd go crazy and listen to endless number of bands every day.

I currently am doing something I used to do way back in the day where I rotate discographies of each band. I think I got done with Porcupine Tree, Guns N' Roses, Riverside, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Between The Buried and Me in the span of a few weeks if not a couple of months.

I haven't decided who to start next but it sure is fun to go through entire band albums. I know Rush is long overdue, haven't heard them in ages.

So to answer the OP probably 1-2 a week
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Deathless

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
In a given week I probably listen to 40-50 bands/artists. Since I'm pretty much 100% streaming now I do not listen to full albums unless it's a classic/favorite or something that I can listen to while working.

With Spotify I have been using my liked playlist and then using the various release radar/recommended playlists to find new songs. If I really like an artist I'll try to dig in and listen to their latest album or a well-recommended one from here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2022, 09:46:50 AM »
I went with the 6-9 option but it's probably 10+ more often than not.
I mean, this exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
Apparently last week I scrobbled 131 artists, so 10+ easily.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2022, 05:07:49 PM »
15-20 each week.

This is what I have listened to this year so far: https://ibb.co/album/Q3Wk7n upcoming and released albums.

:metal

Each album I have listed AT LEAST once.

What I like, it goes to my iPhone so I can listen everywhere.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:50 PM »
1 to 20? Depends on the week and how I'm feeling.