Author Topic: Hybrid Photography/Technology Question  (Read 2195 times)

Offline pg1067

Hybrid Photography/Technology Question
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:40:30 PM »
I think this is probably a bit of an odd question, but what the heck.

Back in the early part of the '90s, I took a bunch of road trips on which I took a bunch of photos of scenic places, many of which I think are pretty cool.  While I know generally where these photos were taken (e.g., Medicine Bow National Forest and Acadia National Park), I'd love to know EXACTLY where they were taken.  Note that these were all taken with a film camera, so there's no geo-tagging or anything like that.

Is there any sort of app or service where you can upload a scan and get location information?  If not, someone with the technological wherewithal should make one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: Hybrid Photography/Technology Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 05:52:57 AM »
I know you can just submit images to certain search engines and they can do a lateral lookup for like photos. You might get lucky with proximity that way.

I don't know anything about Acadia, but Medicine Bow....I don't live far from there and have been in that forest/mountain range many times. I'm an avid nature photograher...there's a chance I might know the location (particularly if there's mountains) if you can post or provide a link for your photos.

Here's an album I made from many trips to this particular part, Snowy Range, of Medicine Bow Mountains......in case they ring a bell.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/albums/72157718747384573

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:02:07 AM by crazy climber dude »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 11:31:18 AM »
I don't know anything about Acadia, but Medicine Bow....I don't live far from there and have been in that forest/mountain range many times. I'm an avid nature photograher...there's a chance I might know the location (particularly if there's mountains) if you can post or provide a link for your photos.

Thanks!  It doesn't look like I've previously scanned the photo in question, so I'll have to dig it out.  I had spent the night in Cheyenne and was planning to drive northwest to Yellowstone.  I started on an interstate, but I saw a sign saying something to the effect of "take the state highway; it's way more scenic."  I wasn't on a schedule, so I did (and it was!).  Looking at a map, I'm guessing it might have been SR130.  Anyway....

For some reason, your album wouldn't load for me, but that's probably an issue with my work computer, so I'll check it out when I'm at home.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 01:50:48 AM »
Can you post the photos? Could make it a forum searching challenge!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »
Can you post the photos? Could make it a forum searching challenge!

This is the only one I presently have scanned and online.  It's from somewhere in the eastern Sierras in California, north of Mammoth, possibly near June Lake.  Taken in 1992; this is a scan of a 3.5x5 print and was taken on a Pentax K1000.  I'll try to remember to scan and post the others over the weekend.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »

Thanks!  It doesn't look like I've previously scanned the photo in question, so I'll have to dig it out.  I had spent the night in Cheyenne and was planning to drive northwest to Yellowstone.  I started on an interstate, but I saw a sign saying something to the effect of "take the state highway; it's way more scenic."  I wasn't on a schedule, so I did (and it was!).  Looking at a map, I'm guessing it might have been SR130.  Anyway....

For some reason, your album wouldn't load for me, but that's probably an issue with my work computer, so I'll check it out when I'm at home.
Yep. 130 is Snowy Range Road....in the Medicine Bow Mountains. And that's where my album was taken as well. So remote and beautiful. Hoards of snowmobilers there in the winter (they let them go right on the highway itself). But the other seasons are fairly quiet.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 10:30:15 AM »
Scan your pics. And then use Google Reverse Image. Upload the photos and wait for the results. If it finds something similar it will tell you if it is TOO similar chances are you’ll know the locations. I hope this helps.