Author Topic: The Official 10 Years Thread. - v. The Optimist  (Read 496 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
The Official 10 Years Thread. - v. The Optimist
« on: September 14, 2022, 10:21:51 AM »
Anyone else here a fan of the band 10 Years?

They dropped a new song today, called "The Optimist." I really like it. Sounds like a continuation from the vibe on their last studio album, Violent Allies.

Check out "The Optimist" video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9NPpMvg6U

My whole family became big fans over the years. We saw them together this past spring in Anaheim. Dumpy little venue but they crushed it.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official 10 Years Thread. - v. The Optimist
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »
Never heard of them.
My first thought that the tuning on that opening riff of The Optimist is well below my low threshold. But it lightens up a bit. I'd have to hear it again I think. Has a 00's vibe that as a fogey, I'm not sure I'm crazy about.

That said, I found Violent Allies on Spotify and dropped the needle on it a bit. It feels a bit more unique than The Optimist. Kind of reminds me of Branch Arterial, a band that I have Saved in my Spotify library.

I'll schedule a listen to Violent Allies and report back.  :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 10:33:50 AM »
I was a fan of The Autumn Effect when it came out. Always thought it was well above average in the "alt-metal" landscape of those years. The follow-up, Division, was pretty good too, if remember correctly...although it didn't grab me as much. I have to admit I kinda lost track of them...

Other than this new song, anything I should be checking out after Division...?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
I heard about 10 Years from time to time.  Obviously, they have their main songs: Wasteland, Shoot it Out, Fix Me, etc.

I saw them in Raleigh, a few years ago, when they opened for Alter Bridge.  They were pretty good.  Their frontman came to the rail section during a song and I managed to get a picture of it.  That was pretty neat.  Probably will check out their new stuff when I can.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 10:49:22 AM »
I was a fan of The Autumn Effect when it came out. Always thought it was well above average in the "alt-metal" landscape of those years. The follow-up, Division, was pretty good too, if remember correctly...although it didn't grab me as much. I have to admit I kinda lost track of them...

I remembered "Wasteland" from The Autumn Effect and forgot about them. Then when From Birth to Burial came out, my wife fell in love with them and told me to check it out. Been a diehard since. Start with that and their latest record, Violent Allies.

Never heard of them.
My first thought that the tuning on that opening riff of The Optimist is well below my low threshold. But it lightens up a bit. I'd have to hear it again I think. Has a 00's vibe that as a fogey, I'm not sure I'm crazy about.

That said, I found Violent Allies on Spotify and dropped the needle on it a bit. It feels a bit more unique than The Optimist. Kind of reminds me of Branch Arterial, a band that I have Saved in my Spotify library.

I'll schedule a listen to Violent Allies and report back.  :tup

They clearly have a vibe like TOOL, but a bit more accessible and not nihilistic like them.

I saw them in Raleigh, a few years ago, when they opened for Alter Bridge.  They were pretty good.  Their frontman came to the rail section during a song and I managed to get a picture of it.  That was pretty neat.  Probably will check out their new stuff when I can.

Great picture!

I was hoping 10 Years would do the whole tour with AB, but nope.  >:(

Being out west, you gotta see 10 Years when you can. They don't often get out here. This past spring I was almost livid, because they were playing NorCal when we were in SoCal on vacation. I was relieved to see they were in Anaheim when we were, so we made sure to catch them. I have a killer tour print they signed, and we had it professionally framed. I'm going to re-do our den and it will be one of the centerpieces when I'm done. I'll post a pic of the framed print when I get a chance.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »

I remembered "Wasteland" from The Autumn Effect and forgot about them. Then when From Birth to Burial came out, my wife fell in love with them and told me to check it out. Been a diehard since. Start with that and their latest record, Violent Allies.

Will do  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »
10 Years makes me think of my teenage years. I do enjoy their songs, The Autumn Effect is my favorite by them and was so happy they played it when they came here recently. And at the more intimate venue as well, so it was even better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD