Author Topic: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?  (Read 14216 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 12:25:00 AM »
MP has never done growls in DT (studio, anyway).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 05:51:20 AM »

He doesn't do them on A Nightmare to Remember?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 05:54:29 AM »
Those aren't exactly growls. Mikael Åkerfeldt growls. Mike's vocals on ANTR are more like shouting.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 06:11:18 AM »

That's what I thought, too... No way, was that James?!  :o

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 06:25:25 AM »

Yeah, at first I thought you guys know the secret death metal record by Dream Theater, that I somehow missed.  ;)

You can call what MP is doing rough, gruff or whatever, but it's far from growls.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 06:49:45 AM »

Yeah, at first I thought you guys know the secret death metal record by Dream Theater, that I somehow missed.  ;)

You can call what MP is doing rough, gruff or whatever, but it's far from growls.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 06:58:22 AM »

No, those are just awful vocals.  They aren't technically growls.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:48:32 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 07:16:43 AM »
Poor MP. He's taken a lot of grief for that section over the years. If I remember correctly this was during of his peak fandom of Opeth. After Opeth he got owned by Muse.

RRRAAAAWWWWRRRR

Offline Lethean

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
I agree with all of you - just used "growls" to respond to the post and to be a bit lazy I suppose. :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 07:49:01 AM »
I agree with all of you - just used "growls" to respond to the post and to be a bit lazy I suppose. :)
I mean, he tried  :)

FWIW, I actually like that part.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
I tend to not speculate about anything, even when formal announcements start coming out. I just want the damn album released!

While I appreciate touring is a major revenue stream for these artists, I selfishly wish aging bands like DT and Maiden would cut down on the tours in order to record and release more music. I have so little desire to attend concerts at this stage in my life, and I rarely buy live recordings (and those from DT are... eh... that's a point for another thread...). But their albums will give me joy for the next 40+ years. I am sure there are good reasons, but it still baffles me more bands didn't release more material during the second half of 2020 and in to 2021.

On topic... I see View as a big jump up from DoT, which might have been too big of a course correction coming off TA. If they continue on this trajectory, I will be happy.

Man, you and me both!!!

I get that touring is probably 90% of their income, but the studio albums are forever (and comprise the vast majority of my listening and fan experience).

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
I tend to not speculate about anything, even when formal announcements start coming out. I just want the damn album released!

While I appreciate touring is a major revenue stream for these artists, I selfishly wish aging bands like DT and Maiden would cut down on the tours in order to record and release more music. I have so little desire to attend concerts at this stage in my life, and I rarely buy live recordings (and those from DT are... eh... that's a point for another thread...). But their albums will give me joy for the next 40+ years. I am sure there are good reasons, but it still baffles me more bands didn't release more material during the second half of 2020 and in to 2021.

On topic... I see View as a big jump up from DoT, which might have been too big of a course correction coming off TA. If they continue on this trajectory, I will be happy.

Man, you and me both!!!

I get that touring is probably 90% of their income, but the studio albums are forever (and comprise the vast majority of my listening and fan experience).

Oh, but we would miss them!

I'm so glad DT does both about 50/50. I hope to see this trend continue.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »

While I appreciate touring is a major revenue stream for these artists, I selfishly wish aging bands like DT and Maiden would cut down on the tours in order to record and release more music.

Agreed. I still enjoy concerts, but not as much as I did in years past. I get way too annoyed with people, and these days, don't like being in large crowds. So I am all for older artists cutting down touring but ramping up albums. The only way that happens though, is if the current model flips and people start paying for music again (I do!).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
I do too and I think a lot here do the same. But that's probably not enough. Record sales aren't what they used to be.

But I wonder how guys like Arjen Lucassen do it. He didn't play live for a long time and now he's not really touring but makes some special events. Can't imagine that he makes a shitload of money with those. So he has to rely mainly on sales, or am I missing something?

The only thing I see is, he doesn't have do give equal shares to his band members, but then all those guest musicians probably don't play for free either.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't mind MP's growls? I remember first getting into DT. I thought the occasional growl was a nice surpirse and added a bit of texture. I dont like growly bands - I have tried. But the MP stuff, ya sure!
I've never seen MP live, so am excited about the JP tour!
For me it's not just the growls, but the regular singing as well.  Too loud backing vocals live, singing the beginning of Take the Time, stuff like Constant Motion.  It just didn't work for me.
Personally, I don't get the hate for MP's vocals. Aside from *that* section in ANtR (which I always felt JL should've done with his "Awake" voice - just like he ended up doing on the d/t tour), I always thought his vocals (and JP's real live vocals) brought something more to DT. Neither MP or JP are great vocalists, but they add to the character of the music. Perfect example is in SDVu - love how their backing vocals work so well with JL's. So that's just another of the many things I miss now that MP's gone. But I digress...

I selfishly wish aging bands like DT and Maiden would cut down on the tours in order to record and release more music.
Man, you and me both!!!

Add me to the list as well!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2022, 10:50:33 AM »
I couldn't agree more, Scotty. I have been watching a bit of Score recently, and the backing vocals really add to the personality of the performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2022, 11:15:58 AM »

Definitely this.  It's also the worst part of what is otherwise a pretty cool song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2022, 11:18:21 AM »
I don't have issues with MP's backing vocals, but I prefer him not to do leads.  Also, MP backing vocals are wayyyy better than using backing tracks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »

Definitely this.  It's also the worst part of what is otherwise a pretty cool song.

The worst part of that song is the never ending outro. It would've been a much better 10 minute song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »
Never loved MP's vocals in DT. Didn't dislike them but they never grabbed me. However, his harmonies and vocals in TA are outstanding. That makes little sense but is true nonetheless.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »

I've never had an issue with that part of the song.  I actually like it and there's nothing wrong with DT adding a little bit of humor here and there.  I can't understand why so many people have made such an issue out of it even to this day.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2022, 11:33:43 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't mind MP's growls? I remember first getting into DT. I thought the occasional growl was a nice surpirse and added a bit of texture. I dont like growly bands - I have tried. But the MP stuff, ya sure!
For me it's not just the growls, but the regular singing as well.  Too loud backing vocals live, singing the beginning of Take the Time, stuff like Constant Motion.  It just didn't work for me.
Personally, I don't get the hate for MP's vocals. Aside from *that* section in ANtR (which I always felt JL should've done with his "Awake" voice - just like he ended up doing on the d/t tour), I always thought his vocals (and JP's real live vocals) brought something more to DT. Neither MP or JP are great vocalists, but they add to the character of the music. Perfect example is in SDVu - love how their backing vocals work so well with JL's. So that's just another of the many things I miss now that MP's gone. But I digress...

I'm drawing a blank on the acronym (can't be Space Dye Vest?) but I just don't like the sound of his voice.  I'm OK with/can tolerate it on some of the earlier albums where it's not too prominent or loud, but as it went on, I just found it really irritating.  It detracted rather than added for me.  JP I don't mind as much, but that's probably because he's not as loud as MP was.  MP just doesn't have a singing voice (for my ears).  There's a Flying Colors song he sings lead on and it just sounds all kinds of wrong to me.

Backing vocal tracks didn't bother me a bit with Rush and DT using them now is a relief to me.  I probably wouldn't mind if JP decided to put himself a little louder in the mix for certain things so long as it wasn't overpowering, but I don't need it. 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »

Strange Deja Vu is a perfect example how MP's vocals really complement JLB's singing and therefore enhance the whole song. So generally I like his vocals.

And that passage in ANTR isn't so bad, and even if some think so, it's a relatively short passage in a long song, shouldn't generate that much hate imo.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2022, 11:45:31 AM »
Portnoy worked hard over his career to really learn how to sing and accompany and harmonize. He's not great, and he'd probably even say that (he has great ears, after all). But his vocals in Dream Theater, particularly live shows, helped make things more dynamic in the vocal department, which was important.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »
Portnoy worked hard over his career to really learn how to sing and accompany and harmonize. He's not great, and he'd probably even say that (he has great ears, after all). But his vocals in Dream Theater, particularly live shows, helped make things more dynamic in the vocal department, which was important.

I agree with this. I think it's sort of a cheap shot to rag on his vocals at this point.  Not the "growls" (I know they're not) specifically, but he's Ringo at this point, a good complement to the better singers around him.  I LOVE his verse in "The Way It Had To Be", and he makes "Rose Colored Glasses" for me.  I think he's found a good spot vocally and I actually look forward to his spots now. 

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »

I agree with this. I think it's sort of a cheap shot to rag on his vocals at this point.  Not the "growls" (I know they're not) specifically, but he's Ringo at this point, a good complement to the better singers around him.  I LOVE his verse in "The Way It Had To Be", and he makes "Rose Colored Glasses" for me.  I think he's found a good spot vocally and I actually look forward to his spots now.

Agree about his vocals in Transatlantic and NMB. Great complement to the other voices.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »
I'll add his backing vocals work well with TWD too. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2022, 12:33:35 PM »

I'm not ragging on them for kicks.  He may well be better in TA and NMB - I've never really gotten in to either of those, so I'm not familiar enough to say.  Maybe his voice works with Neal's well.  But I didn't care for it with Sons of Apollo or Flying Colors, which are both more recent than DT.  I don't doubt he's worked on it and I don't doubt he's improved with time.  But I'm still grateful it's not a thing with DT anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2022, 01:00:45 PM »

I've never had an issue with that part of the song.  I actually like it and there's nothing wrong with DT adding a little bit of humor here and there.  I can't understand why so many people have made such an issue out of it even to this day.   :lol
It's not humor.  It's a shitty vocal.  There's nothing funny about it, it's just a bad choice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »

Well, it's definitely laughable IMO (not exactly funny per say) and detracts from the rest of the song.  I don't think it's absolutely horrible, but it just doesn't work for me at all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2022, 02:19:13 PM »

It's not humor.  It's a shitty vocal.  There's nothing funny about it, it's just a bad choice.
I agree that it's not meant to be humor (what a strange thing to try to say).  But there's nothing "bad" about it at all.  That's an equally bad take.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
I have never been at a DT show where the fans didn't get completely jacked for that part of A Nightmare to Remember. That's a good Portnoy vocal and people seem to love it.

You want to talk shit on a Portnoy vocal at least save it for Prophets of War.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »
No way. Every single moment of Prophets Of War is awesome.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2022, 02:34:52 PM »
No way. Every single moment of Prophets Of War is awesome.

My man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »

I agree that it's not meant to be humor (what a strange thing to try to say).  But there's nothing "bad" about it at all.  That's an equally bad take.
It's not a bad take.  It's just a take.  Like your take that there's nothing "bad" about it at all.  It's just a take, not good or bad.  If you like it (which you apparently do), I wouldn't expect you to call it "bad".  I think it's terrible, so there's no way I would ever call it "good" or "not bad".