Author Topic: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?  (Read 14057 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »
My guess is the next release will be some time during the 1st Qtr of 2024.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
JP says DT will tour a lot more next year and that they'll probably enter the studio for a new album around this time next year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cha8zJlsDig).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2022, 12:25:09 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2022, 05:58:48 PM »
I love the 4th comment: “my fave guitarist but omg he looks horrible!”.

I agree, he needs a makeover badly. Live at Budokan look would work.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2022, 11:47:00 PM »
John Petrucci mentioned in a recent video that he's gotten into gypsy jazz...

I have no idea what gypsy jazz is, but I doubt it is something I want anywhere near DT. But I am content if they stay in their wheelhouse at this point in their career if that is what they choose to do. Add in a little dash of funk or some acoustic guitar sections (as people mentioned), but don't try and recreate the wheel.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2022, 04:05:47 AM »

I have no idea what gypsy jazz is, but I doubt it is something I want anywhere near DT. But I am content if they stay in their wheelhouse at this point in their career if that is what they choose to do. Add in a little dash of funk or some acoustic guitar sections (as people mentioned), but don't try and recreate the wheel.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ308aOOX04 ) set the blueprint for all gypsy jazz. And this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjyesTkGNT4) is an example of what could be considered "current" gypsy jazz.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2022, 07:45:56 PM »

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ308aOOX04 ) set the blueprint for all gypsy jazz. And this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjyesTkGNT4) is an example of what could be considered "current" gypsy jazz.

That's... not at all what I expected. Not something I'd ever listen to, but I bet JP could figure out a way to make it work within the DT framework.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2022, 06:55:20 AM »
I love the 4th comment: “my fave guitarist but omg he looks horrible!”.

I agree, he needs a makeover badly. Live at Budokan look would work.

I don’t care that much about this things, but what you’re suggesting is pretty much impossible given that he’s pretty much bold on the back of his head and the long hair are there exactly to cover it.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »

That's... not at all what I expected. Not something I'd ever listen to, but I bet JP could figure out a way to make it work within the DT framework.

My guess is that we'll hear a lick or two inspired from Gypsy in the next solos. Maybe a short instrumental interlude like they did in other songs-- just like how Bridges has the Middle Eastern passage.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2022, 06:09:16 PM »
And this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjyesTkGNT4) is an example of what could be considered "current" gypsy jazz.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2022, 09:24:47 PM »
The real question is, will DT be able to sell enough tickets to stay on tour for much of 2023?  It's a honest question, as bands everywhere are having to cancel shows or bookers are taking losses due to lack of ticket sales.  My guess would be they will try to hit places they didn't already in 2022.  It's a bummer that a new album isn't likely to drop until 2024 at the earliest, but there isn't much money to be made these new these in releasing new music unless you are in that tiny percentage, so touring is likely the best way for them to make the money they didn't make during the pandemic.  I get it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2022, 07:52:31 AM »
We should talk about that (touring).  I've been steadfast that I'm going to see Maiden in Worcester (about 45 minutes from me) but honestly, I'm second guessing now. I want to see the Senjutsu material (I LOVE that album, still) but honestly, do I want to spend two bills to do it?

I'm seeing Petrooch three times, but rethinking the third show, too.  I'd much rather go to a local bar and watch Cold Train (a local Skynyrd/Southern Rock cover band) or Beyond Purple (a local Blackmore cover band with Jimi Bell - the guitar player for Autograph - and the drummer for Dokken in it) for $5 and $5 beers with my friend Jim.  Parking's free, and I can chill without the crowds.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »

I'm seeing Petrooch three times, but rethinking the third show, too.

You still coming to Boston?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »

Yessir; leaving here about 3:30, 4:00 so I can park and be ready for the show!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »

There's a parking garage right next door.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »

There's a parking garage right next door.

That's what the ticket says. I'll probably park there.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »
My speculation is that the next album will be created with the same dedication, love, and process that the last few have been. I expect nothing less than an excellent record. However, I'm not sure that they can do anything to truly blow me away if they keep taking the same approach. I personally think it would be really awesome if they brought in a co-producer with JP to push them a bit and help them go in some new songwriting directions. Maybe bring in a guest musician or two. I dunno... I would just love to get another curveball after a couple of understandably safe albums. Just my unseasoned two cents.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2022, 10:00:51 AM »
My speculation is that the next album will be created with the same dedication, love, and process that the last few have been. I expect nothing less than an excellent record. However, I'm not sure that they can do anything to truly blow me away if they keep taking the same approach. I personally think it would be really awesome if they brought in a co-producer with JP to push them a bit and help them go in some new songwriting directions. Maybe bring in a guest musician or two. I dunno... I would just love to get another curveball after a couple of understandably safe albums. Just my unseasoned two cents.

Might not be the most popular opinion here, but I've been saying for a while that another lineup change could help shake things up for the better, but I don't think we'll see that happen anytime soon either.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
What type of lineup change did you have in mind?  Unless tragedy struck (heaven forbid), I'd imagine the band would go on hiatus or retire before any lineup changes were considered.  They are pretty much in the twilight of their career.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:11 PM »
That's what they said about Yes twenty years ago.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »
Look, after John Bonham, Roger Waters, Mike Portnoy, Ric Ocasek...  there is no one that is irreplaceable.  The energy and excitement I saw in John Petrucci two nights last week, I find it hard to believe if someone bails that he's going to hang it up, but I can't really see him embracing a solo career either.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
What type of lineup change did you have in mind?  Unless tragedy struck (heaven forbid), I'd imagine the band would go on hiatus or retire before any lineup changes were considered.  They are pretty much in the twilight of their career.

Look, after John Bonham, Roger Waters, Mike Portnoy, Ric Ocasek...  there is no one that is irreplaceable.  The energy and excitement I saw in John Petrucci two nights last week, I find it hard to believe if someone bails that he's going to hang it up, but I can't really see him embracing a solo career either.

I have to agree with Stadler here. As I previously said, it's easy when all is good and nice to assume "oh, if someone goes, it's the end, we hang it up", but when the moment comes, when truly someone leaves for whatever reason, is any of them ready to give up what they're doing for a living? at a certain point it's not only a job that brings money, it's a way of life. It's hard to give it up because someone, no matter how much important, gives it up.

Look at Judas Priest, they're without "original" guitarists, they're old, isn't that enough? no, they just can't let go because that's all they know to do.

Also, I think nobody in the bands wants to go down in history as the one who killed it. Do you think, random example, Jordan Rudess would be happy to have Dream Theater disband because he suddenly decides he's given enough and wants to retire?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2022, 02:50:02 PM »
WWRD?  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2022, 03:22:13 PM »
Well, that actually is a good argument.  :tup

This discussion comes up every now and then, and there's always an equal number of board members that feel the band would carry on and the ones that think they'd throw in the towel. Myself, neither outcome would surprise me. I've seen bands taking either approach, for better or worse. Personally, I can perfectly imagine the band moving on with a new member, but whether I'd like that to happen is another story. There are certain bands where I would prefer the band calling it quits. Maiden would be one example.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2022, 03:52:06 PM »

This discussion comes up every now and then, and there's always an equal number of board members that feel the band would carry on and the ones that think they'd throw in the towel. Myself, neither outcome would surprise me. I've seen bands taking either approach, for better or worse. Personally, I can perfectly imagine the band moving on with a new member, but whether I'd like that to happen is another story. There are certain bands where I would prefer the band calling it quits. Maiden would be one example.

Yeah, well said and if such a scenario ever came up, JP would be the first to ask that question.  Of course it would depend on the member, but the circumstances with the Rush scenario were quite a bit different.  You just don't replace a guy like Neil Peart or any of those guys for that matter.  I can see it either way also, but at this stage of the game, would DT want to go through that arduous task of auditioning someone again?  I'm not so sure. :dunno:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2022, 07:10:40 PM »
I can see it either way also, but at this stage of the game, would DT want to go through that arduous task of auditioning someone again?  I'm not so sure. :dunno:
How arduous would it really be? Just look at what they did when MP left. Being a well known band at this point (as opposed to when KM left in 1994), they can easily have their pick of different people come in to audition for them, especially "name" people.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2022, 01:03:25 AM »
I can see it either way also, but at this stage of the game, would DT want to go through that arduous task of auditioning someone again?  I'm not so sure. :dunno:
How arduous would it really be? Just look at what they did when MP left. Being a well known band at this point (as opposed to when KM left in 1994), they can easily have their pick of different people come in to audition for them, especially "name" people.

Exactly. It's hard to find a good band member when you're a young struggling band, but Dream Theater would have musicians throwing themselves at them, just to even have a chance to have on the resumè an audition with them (like one of the tentative drummers actually did).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2022, 06:36:24 AM »

Yeah, well said and if such a scenario ever came up, JP would be the first to ask that question.  Of course it would depend on the member, but the circumstances with the Rush scenario were quite a bit different.  You just don't replace a guy like Neil Peart or any of those guys for that matter.  I can see it either way also, but at this stage of the game, would DT want to go through that arduous task of auditioning someone again?  I'm not so sure. :dunno:

Rush is an example of "won't" not "can't".   Neil Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers, but let's be honest: there are 50 drummers who could make quality music with Geddy and Alex IF THEY HAD THE DESIRE TO.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »

I was referring to the auditioning process itself.  That takes a lot of time and effort as we saw with the potential MP replacements.

Rush is an example of "won't" not "can't".   Neil Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers, but let's be honest: there are 50 drummers who could make quality music with Geddy and Alex IF THEY HAD THE DESIRE TO.

So what?  That isn't the point and everyone knows the reasons why.  But, go ahead and argue for the sake of argument if it makes you feel better.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2022, 09:02:04 AM »
Yeah. Would I want that? No.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2022, 09:14:50 AM »

So what?  That isn't the point and everyone knows the reasons why.  But, go ahead and argue for the sake of argument if it makes you feel better.

To be fair, he's not really arguing anything. It's just a re-statement that the band would have to want to do it, and is merely pointing out an established band that decided not to continue. In fact, I feel like it's kind of a rarity where a band does NOT continue.
Obvious example is Led Zeppelin. But other than Nirvana, what other established band folded when a member left or passed away?

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
That wasn't my point either.  You're both inserting comments that had NOTHING to do with my original point.  JFC, don't know why I even fucking bother anymore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2022, 09:45:12 AM »
Well, I thought that you were basically surmising that you weren't sure if DT would want to go through auditions. My point is that it's actually quite rare for a band to call it a day if a member left, or even passed away.
I thought I was on point with what you were saying.

And I thought Stadler was too, honestly. He was saying the same thing that you were saying basically, that it would be a band choice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »

To be fair, he's not really arguing anything. It's just a re-statement that the band would have to want to do it, and is merely pointing out an established band that decided not to continue. In fact, I feel like it's kind of a rarity where a band does NOT continue.
Obvious example is Led Zeppelin. But other than Nirvana, what other established band folded when a member left or passed away?

INXS.