Author Topic: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?  (Read 14141 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2022, 06:37:48 AM »

Now onto the album, i can safely say that AVFTTOTW is one of their best of the latter years.
I hope they get back to writing with the same energy. I'm hopeful that they will collaborate with Andy Sneap on the mixing front, since this is one of their best sounding records in a very long time. (I can still hope for Kevin Shirley, but don't think it's possible).

Really? Even after Senjutsu?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2022, 06:49:53 AM »

Now onto the album, i can safely say that AVFTTOTW is one of their best of the latter years.
I hope they get back to writing with the same energy. I'm hopeful that they will collaborate with Andy Sneap on the mixing front, since this is one of their best sounding records in a very long time. (I can still hope for Kevin Shirley, but don't think it's possible).

Senjutsu sounds fine, but Kevin Shirley doesn't determine how Senjutsu sounds, Steve Harris does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2022, 07:03:27 AM »

As DreamerTV said, Steve Harris is the one who makes decisions.
I still think the albums done with Kevin Shirley are among the best sounding in DT's catalog.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2022, 07:28:13 AM »
Lol at people who still can't get over Portnoy leaving the band

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2022, 08:01:28 AM »

Senjutsu sounds fine, but Kevin Shirley doesn't determine how Senjutsu sounds, Steve Harris does.

Yeah, what's the problem with Senjutsu?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2022, 08:31:24 AM »

I still think the albums done with Kevin Shirley are among the best sounding in DT's catalog.

While i do agree with that (being FII probably their best sounding album), i've found Senjutsu muddy as hell with a general lack of punchiness. And it's a shame as i reeeeally like the album. I know it's Steve Harris who has the final word, but so has been also for previous albums and the result to me is quite different. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »
It's always Steve's call.

You actually have to give Shirley credit as he has been there for this entire Reunion Era run of incredible albums. They are obviously comfortable with him and for whatever reason they have delivered.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2022, 11:11:37 AM »
Someone on reddit brought up the idea of one 75 minute song, no split tracks.  Maybe not THAT long, but I'd be cool with 60-70.  But then the FLAC size...
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2022, 11:26:39 AM »
Someone on reddit brought up the idea of one 75 minute song, no split tracks.  Maybe not THAT long, but I'd be cool with 60-70.

I'd be down for that :metal

A second, bonus, disc could include a few short songs as well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2022, 12:53:15 PM »
Someone on reddit brought up the idea of one 75 minute song, no split tracks.  Maybe not THAT long, but I'd be cool with 60-70.  But then the FLAC size...
If that's what they felt led to do, I would be all for it.

However, having just won a Grammy, I would be surprised if the next album wasn't at least a little more accessible (like FII, 8VM, or even DoT) to try to capitalize on the win.  Or maybe that's me being a little cynical.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
Sound on the last 2 albums has been stellar.

As long as they are passionate about the subject matter the songs will be full of emotion and will resonate. I think this is the key for the next album. Make songs about subjects you care about.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
I still want DT to do an acoustic record. Totally unplugged. Acoustic guitar, piano, upright bass (just for the hell of it), and a simple drumkit.

I know it'll never happen, but I wish it would.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2022, 03:55:36 PM »

While i do agree with that (being FII probably their best sounding album), i've found Senjutsu muddy as hell with a general lack of punchiness. And it's a shame as i reeeeally like the album. I know it's Steve Harris who has the final word, but so has been also for previous albums and the result to me is quite different.

Senjutsu is the best sounding album since BNW IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
I still want DT to do an acoustic record. Totally unplugged. Acoustic guitar, piano, upright bass (just for the hell of it), and a simple drumkit.

Yeah.....nah.....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2022, 06:24:26 PM »

Not sure where you landed on the latest James LaBrie album, but as someone who also has long clamored for an acoustic album, it pretty much exceeded any and all expectations (I'm still giving it regular listens)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2022, 06:27:33 PM »

Not sure where you landed on the latest James LaBrie album, but as someone who also has long clamored for an acoustic album, it pretty much exceeded any and all expectations (I'm still giving it regular listens)

Thank you for the reminder. I didn't buy it right away, and I kind of forgot about it. Yes, I need to give it some attention.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2022, 07:20:31 PM »

I wouldn’t be uo for this as the main album, but I’d definitely love to see this as a bonus in a deluxe version. Don’t get me wrong, the instrumentals are cool, but it seems like everyone’s doing that. Would be awesome if they just took some of the new songs, maybe some old songs too, and just rearrange them into a style reminiscent of Beautiful Shade of Grey.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2022, 07:24:52 PM »
Or they could release one of the Christmas '98 shows on LNF.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2022, 02:09:53 AM »

It would be a nice idea for a bonus disc for the next album.

An EP of six songs - two of the new album rearranged in acoustic, two old songs done in acoustic, and two covers or additional new acoustic tracks not present on the new album, something like that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2022, 07:35:34 AM »

I'm down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2022, 08:20:38 AM »

John Petrucci mentioned in a recent video that he's gotten into gypsy jazz over the last few years and that it's really opened his mind up to a new style of playing that he never really cared about before. I really hope we see some of that shine through and something he does at one point or another whether it's Dream Theater or something else. I can't see Dream Theater really changing their core sound at this point, but I think there is hope to hear JP really break out of the Rock and metal mode for something completely different one day.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »

John Petrucci mentioned in a recent video that he's gotten into gypsy jazz over the last few years and that it's really opened his mind up to a new style of playing that he never really cared about before. I really hope we see some of that shine through and something he does at one point or another whether it's Dream Theater or something else. I can't see Dream Theater really changing their core sound at this point, but I think there is hope to hear JP really break out of the Rock and metal mode for something completely different one day.

Something that I've been missing from JP's playing is the ocasional complex acoustic guitar solo, something like we see on LTL, Octavarium, Another Dimension, most recently on Gemini... you get the idea. Love it when he does something like that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2022, 09:37:41 AM »
Last time they tried something different, The Astonishing happened and from what I can gather, many fans just turned their backs for good. The impact can still be felt in my opinion, both in the concert attendance and in the Billboard numbers. I love The Astonishing, by the way. But I have a feeling the band won't be rolling dice again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2022, 09:43:34 AM »
An element that I have missed in DT is a dash of funk.  They never let it out very much (Take the Time and Lines in the Sand being the examples that come to mind), but it was tasty, and it's been a looooong time.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:45 AM »
An element that I have missed in DT is a dash of funk.  They never let it out very much (Take the Time and Lines in the Sand being the examples that come to mind), but it was tasty, and it's been a looooong time.

This. I know not many care for FII, but it had such a cool atmospheric...funky sound.  Was it Sherinian that had something to do with that I wonder.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2022, 10:54:07 AM »

I totally forgot about it. I'll give it a listen in a couple minutes. Just finishing up another record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2022, 11:02:25 AM »
Last time they tried something different, The Astonishing happened and from what I can gather, many fans just turned their backs for good.
I think it's one thing to try something different on one song or a few. But to do a whole double album that's outside their general wheelhouse is a whole other thing. Nevermind the Disney-esque campiness of it was a turn off for many. While I don't think the idea was completely wrong, the execution of it left a lot of it to be desired. That's why I think it was such a divisive album that turned a lot of fans off.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »

I totally forgot about it. I'll give it a listen in a couple minutes. Just finishing up another record.

Wait. The latest LaBrie album is acoustic?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2022, 12:00:28 PM »

Yeah, mostly. I listened at low volume, but it sounded that way. really enjoyed it. Going to listen again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2022, 12:01:13 PM »

Not 100%.  But a lot of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
Be right back...  :) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2022, 12:06:21 PM »
It's pretty good.  I bet you like it. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »
Be right back...  :) :) :)

If nothing else, listen to the cover of "Ramble On" and tell me that isn't the best James has sounded on record in years!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »

It's amazing what you miss when you don't leave PR  :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
I've always wanted a live acoustic/unplugged album, especially for Silent Man.

The whole fanbase would squeal like a little girl at a full acoustic performance of ACOS.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 02:55:00 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.