Author Topic: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?  (Read 14212 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Is it too early to speculate about DT16?
« on: September 12, 2022, 04:58:20 PM »
What do you guys think? Nearly a year is gone by since a View dropped so at best we could be due for another album in one year.

I have played the hell out of DT15 so I am ready and stoked for another great album. Anyone else thinking about it? The seeds for new riffs and songs are likely be laid down now so we could be well on our way!

Offline gzarruk

Re: Is it too early to speculate about DT16?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 05:58:58 PM »
It's never too early to speculate here at DTF :rollin

Not sure what their timeline will be, though, since the tour is apparently over, but there was a JM interview where he said they were going back to Europe early next year?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 06:05:52 PM »
I hope that the last tour did not quench their thirst to be out and playing shows. I am hoping for a quicker 2 year turnaround. It'll be interesting to see what DT16 brings to the table. I hope it is not too similar to the last 2 records (which I really like a lot).

Offline mariner

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 08:42:21 AM »
My guess is album in 2024 and tour into 2025... which will coincide with the 20th Anniversary of Octavarium and 40th anniversary of the band.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:50:56 AM »
Given that they haven't toured in two years, I wouldn't be surprised if they toured next year as well. They could do festivals and stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 08:52:47 AM »
Given that they haven't toured in two years, I wouldn't be surprised if they toured next year as well. They could do festivals and stuff.

Yeah, I could see them continuing to tour in 2023. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:02:15 AM »
I've been wondering, with the good vibes between DT and Mike Portnoy, if the next album will feature both MM and MP on drums on select songs, and both touring. A new record and 40th anniversary tour. Could be huge. If egos are checked, it could result in not only a great record, but the feel good story of 2025.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 09:05:50 AM »
20th Anniversary of Octavarium
I want to hear this song live SO BADLY! Bucket list...😭

and 40th anniversary of the band.
I can't wait to see what that setlist is like!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »
I've been wondering, with the good vibes between DT and Mike Portnoy, if the next album will feature both MM and MP on drums on select songs, and both touring. A new record and 40th anniversary tour. Could be huge. If egos are checked, it could result in not only a great record, but the feel good story of 2025.

Great idea.... let's also have Charlie Dominici on some songs and Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian too....

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:09:13 AM »
SG,

I thought about that. I just don't think it's realistic. Especially with Kevin. I think guests on the tour is a no brainer. But I think for the record, Portnoy is probably the only logical one. But the shows, I totally could see DS and CD making appearances.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
SG,

I thought about that. I just don't think it's realistic. Especially with Kevin. I think guests on the tour is a no brainer. But I think for the record, Portnoy is probably the only logical one. But the shows, I totally could see DS and CD making appearances.
I believe he was being sarcastic. But yeah, I don't see MP having a guest appearance on the next studio album. Just doesn't make a lot of sense for the band.

In terms of DT16, whatever the band makes I'll support. AVFTTOTW hasn't aged that well for me except for 3 songs  :|
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 10:00:01 AM »
Yeah, I forgot about the green font.

Whatever.  :lol

I actually think it's very likely MP is involved with them IF they choose to release a record in 2025 in support of a 40th anniversary. And I absolutely believe, even if that doesn't happen, he'd be a part of the tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 10:11:30 AM »
Unless MM is out, I don't see any reason MP should be on the album.  Special guest for a show? Sure.  I just don't see anything else as long as MM is there.  It just doesn't make sense. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
I actually think it's very likely MP is involved with them IF they choose to release a record in 2025 in support of a 40th anniversary.
No way. If they didn't even have him come out to sing backing vocals on PMU at Rock in Rio, why would they open up a massive can of worms and have him involved with a new album. The only way that might possibly happen is if MM chooses to leave the band of his own volition, and there's nothing to indicate that's going to happen.

I absolutely believe, even if that doesn't happen, he'd be a part of the tour.
Maybe a guest appearance at one or two shows, but I can't imagine anything more.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »
One can hope. :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
One can hope. :)

No I don't think so.... unless MM leaves I don't think there is any chance of MP coming back

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 10:31:08 AM »
I actually have said that from the get-go, as recently as a few weeks ago. But for the 40th anniversary, 2025...I feel like doors have opened.

Probably won't happen, but whatever.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
Regarding the thread topic, I would love an album where they create a bunch of soundscapes like the beginning of Misunderstood for instance.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 10:53:18 AM »
I'm not sure what some of y'all are imagining for MP rejoining the on stage? Playing drums? Which ones? Do they bring in, build, and mic an entire MP kit for a song? Does he just play MM's kit for a song or so? Does he even feel comfortable enough to play MM's configuration? Does he play to a click track?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 11:23:18 AM »
I'm not sure what some of y'all are imagining for MP rejoining the on stage? Playing drums? Which ones? Do they bring in, build, and mic an entire MP kit for a song? Does he just play MM's kit for a song or so? Does he even feel comfortable enough to play MM's configuration? Does he play to a click track?

Tambourine.  I'd definitely go with a tambourine.  And maybe a stool.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »

Tambourine.  I'd definitely go with a tambourine.  And maybe a stool.

AT LEAST GIVE THE MAN A SHAKER TOO!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 11:32:50 AM »
Or go full blown Slipknot and give him this set:

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 11:36:08 AM »
I mean if King Crimson can have 3 drummers I don't see why Dream Theater cannot have 2.

Who is a greater drummer than Mike? Mike2 obviously. You can't argue with math.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 11:36:26 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »
If I had Photoshop there would be a pic of Will Ferrell 's SNL skit with the cowbell and MP's head shopped on the body.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »
The funny thing is, MP would totally get on that kit as a joke next to MM and do it.  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
Whenever anything related to DT16 happens, I'll be sure to make a timeline thread again.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2022, 05:52:26 PM »
New album - bring it on.  I'd love one in 2023 but imagine 2024 is more realistic.

Reunion? I was very sad when MP left, and I certainly still miss the setlist variety that we got when he was in the band.  But the immediate silver lining for me was the thought of not having to endure his vocals any longer.  If he ever does a tour or a show (or an album or a recorded song for that matter) I really really hope it's drums only and he leaves the singing to James (and JP and the backing tracks).

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 08:56:40 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't mind MP's growls? I remember first getting into DT. I thought the occasional growl was a nice surpirse and added a bit of texture. I dont like growly bands - I have tried. But the MP stuff, ya sure!
I've never seen MP live, so am excited about the JP tour!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 10:49:37 PM »
I hope that 2023 brings them back to do a proper Australasian tour. They did Download Japan and Jakarta abd that was kinda it. After being completely missed on the Distance Over Time cycle due to COVID and then being relegated to only 2 shows this time around, I really hope they come back in force next year.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 11:14:26 PM »
I tend to not speculate about anything, even when formal announcements start coming out. I just want the damn album released!

While I appreciate touring is a major revenue stream for these artists, I selfishly wish aging bands like DT and Maiden would cut down on the tours in order to record and release more music. I have so little desire to attend concerts at this stage in my life, and I rarely buy live recordings (and those from DT are... eh... that's a point for another thread...). But their albums will give me joy for the next 40+ years. I am sure there are good reasons, but it still baffles me more bands didn't release more material during the second half of 2020 and in to 2021.

On topic... I see View as a big jump up from DoT, which might have been too big of a course correction coming off TA. If they continue on this trajectory, I will be happy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2022, 11:25:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind a few more songs written on the 8-string.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't mind MP's growls? I remember first getting into DT. I thought the occasional growl was a nice surpirse and added a bit of texture. I dont like growly bands - I have tried. But the MP stuff, ya sure!
I've never seen MP live, so am excited about the JP tour!

For me it's not just the growls, but the regular singing as well.  Too loud backing vocals live, singing the beginning of Take the Time, stuff like Constant Motion.  It just didn't work for me.