Author Topic: Porcupine Tree 2022 tour (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Mr.Mister

Re: Porcupine Tree 2022 tour (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »
I binged today at work listening  to PT all day. Very much looking forward to the show tomorrow night in Philly. They are playing The Met where I saw DT earlier this year and that was a very pleasant  concert experience. I'm sure they won't disappoint! Also very much want to see what Randy and the bass player add.

They played the same venue a DT in Toronto too - it made me realize how loud DT was. I was sitting closer to the stage for PT and didn't need any ear protection. For DT I was further and I couldn't tell the music apart without ear plugs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »
I binged today at work listening  to PT all day. Very much looking forward to the show tomorrow night in Philly. They are playing The Met where I saw DT earlier this year and that was a very pleasant  concert experience. I'm sure they won't disappoint! Also very much want to see what Randy and the bass player add.

They played the same venue a DT in Toronto too - it made me realize how loud DT was. I was sitting closer to the stage for PT and didn't need any ear protection. For DT I was further and I couldn't tell the music apart without ear plugs.

DT has played Radio City before, but they could not play that venue today with their current crowd draw.  Looks like tonight's concert is fairly well sold, but lots of tickets still available.  Still, I'd say its a better turn out than DT, but DT also hasn't been hibernating for awhile.  Radio City is a beautiful venue though, I'm excited to see a show there again although it sounds like this is going to be similar to DT's TA performance there with the ushers running around telling people to get off their phones.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2022, 01:34:14 PM »

DT plays loud, but I think more of it has to do with the attention they each pay to sounding good. PT on The Incident tour was the best sounding show I've been to. It was still plenty loud, but you could hear the timbre of every different cymbal. It was quite impressive. I've seen DT play relatively quiet, and it was nowhere near as good. I reckon the different is one of the bands being led by a guy with a fantastic ear for sound.

Radio City is a beautiful venue though, I'm excited to see a show there again although it sounds like this is going to be similar to DT's TA performance there with the ushers running around telling people to get off their phones.
Those guys were assholes!  :lol

Funny thing is that my buddy was back up there two weeks later to see Opeth, and despite the much more raucous crowd the ushers were all really cool and low key. Night and day difference. Part of the reason I've long maintained that DT specifically wants the ushers to be hardassed beyond reason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2022, 01:41:16 PM »
Radio City is a beautiful venue though, I'm excited to see a show there again although it sounds like this is going to be similar to DT's TA performance there with the ushers running around telling people to get off their phones.
Those guys were assholes!  :lol

Funny thing is that my buddy was back up there two weeks later to see Opeth, and despite the much more raucous crowd the ushers were all really cool and low key. Night and day difference. Part of the reason I've long maintained that DT specifically wants the ushers to be hardassed beyond reason.

As much as I hated the ushers, I don't blame them.  You are 100% correct, they just followed DT's rules just like this is Porcupine Tree's rules.  I doubt the venue wants to enforce it, but they will do as they are paid to. 

I'm actually curious though.  As much as I snuck video into that DT show, the ushers seemed to let me film from the concessions area where there is an opening to see the main hall (but I didn't want to leave my friend alone in the seat next to me).  I'm going to see if I can get some clips from there tonight and if they allow me.  Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to bother trying to be sneaky about it and just keep my phone in my pocket (I didn't even bring my camera with me today).  According to some youtube comments from the few videos out there, they do let you take your camera out for the final song. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2022, 01:54:30 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
That IA litho is bad ass. Pricey, but not AS pricey as the pro matte and frame job will cost. May have to snatch that up.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2022, 06:16:49 AM »
Thanks to Vmadera00, I'll be at the Radio City show on Friday
Hope you enjoyed the show :metal

Thought the show was great, did not expect the new album in full but I think the songs sounded good live. If I were to make changes I would've dropped Sleep Together and Sentimental to play more Deadwing or IA.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2022, 07:03:56 AM »
Sounds like Sentimental, which was dropped at the 2nd and 3rd shows, was brought back last night, and I Drive the Hearse was cut at last night's show.  :( :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2022, 07:48:28 AM »
Band was tight and sound was good. Thanks again Victor and nice seeing you during intermission.

Sounds like Sentimental, which was dropped at the 2nd and 3rd shows, was brought back last night, and I Drive the Hearse was cut at last night's show.  :( :(

Yes, it's true.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
On my way to Philly for round 2, but I thought last night was fantastic. The band sounded great and the setlist was aces.

Band was tight and sound was good. Thanks again Victor and nice seeing you during intermission.

Sorry  I didn't get a chance to say hi, cell service was abysmal in there for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Kram

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2022, 02:36:07 PM »
That sucks I love I Drive the Hearse!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2022, 06:45:19 AM »
If setlist.fm is correct, looks like last night in Philly saw I Drive the Hearse back in and Sentimental out again, AND Half-Light got played instead of Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled.  I don't like that swap at all, but I wasn't there, so no real effect on me.  :lol :biggrin:

Offline frogprog

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2022, 07:33:03 AM »
What an awesome show in Philly last night! Visuals and lighting were fantastic. The sound was excellent. Randy was a really great addition, his guitar playing and vocals were really, really good. The bass player (forget his name) was really good also. Stevens vocals sounded so good especially with Randy's having vocals.Gavin was on fire, I kept getting the feeling I was watching someone on par with my all time favorite NP. Fantastic night, if you are a fan don't miss this tour! We even had MP in the house, which I suspected would happen. I wonder how he enjoyed it.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »
* Randy's backing vocals

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2022, 01:40:25 PM »
If setlist.fm is correct, looks like last night in Philly saw I Drive the Hearse back in and Sentimental out again, AND Half-Light got played instead of Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled.  I don't like that swap at all, but I wasn't there, so no real effect on me.  :lol :biggrin:

I wouldn't be surprised if yhe song switch ups are because of the closeness of NYC and Philly. Steven mentioned the Philly show and people should go at the NYC show. Maybe this was a way to say thanks for those who did both.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2022, 02:28:08 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if yhe song switch ups are because of the closeness of NYC and Philly. Steven mentioned the Philly show and people should go at the NYC show. Maybe this was a way to say thanks for those who did both.

Good point. That would make a lot of sense.  :tup :tup

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 05:13:53 AM »
0/10 - Didn’t play Deadwing.

In all honesty, enjoy the show to anyone who’s going. I need to get more into this band.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »
Super excited for Friday's show in Dallas.  :metal

Offline Skeever

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2022, 07:35:45 AM »
I would have loved to hear Last Chance in Philly, but Half-Light was really nice.
Also, I prefer I Drive the Hearse over Sentimental (and FOABP was already well-represented), so glad for that substitution.

Overall, don't feel at all like we got a "lesser" setlist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2022, 10:31:58 AM »
Last Friday I saw the Porcupine Tree show at Radio City Music Hall, thanks to vmadera who gave me an extra ticket.  I probably would not have otherwise attended, it wasn't really on my radar as I had not really listened to PT much before the show.  Leading up to it, I did familiarize myself with the new album and FOABP so I ended up being familiar with a good amount of the set.  I hadn't been to Radio City since the DT show there playing TA many years ago, but I was happy to see the venue still looked and felt as nice as I had remembered it.  I will say, the lobby is a disaster being too small for a venue that big.  It was almost impossible to get around when I entered.  The lines for concessions and bathrooms were insane.  And when you got to the seats, the back screen had a sign saying it is a phone free event.  I knew this going in so I was not surprised. (and I'm glad I knew this, they wouldn't of allowed me to bring my camera like I normally do which would mean I'd have to hide it outside somewhere). 

The band sounded really good.  I know there's some replacement touring members, but as someone not too into the band, it kind of didn't matter to me.  The bassist and guitarist both seemed like they fit in and sounded good.  Must be some good musicians too to take on that setlist.  20 songs with an intermission in the middle.  Including the intermission, the show was about 2 hours and 45 minutes.  Very similar to an evening with DT format. 

The lighting and backing videos were kind of crap.  There were no cameras for the crew so you didn't get any close up shots on the band for those in the back.  I was really up close but all the way to the side of the stage.  The band didn't really move around at all.  Even though the stage stretched all the way to the side where I was, no one from the band even came close to walking to that part of the stage.  Steven never went past the bassist or guitarist to his sides.  I honestly was sick of him flicking his hair after about 5 songs.  I felt a disconnect between the fans and the band in some ways.  No eye contact.  Steven did have a few things to say in between songs but I dont think anything he said stood out other than not really having any hit songs.  For a show that felt kind of stripped down to just being about the performance, I felt there should be a bit more of a connection and intimacy.

As for the no phones.  I think if I sat somewhere else, it might not have bothered me as much, but there was a security guard posted right next to me who was flashing his flashlight the entire concert at people even if they just looked at their phone.  It was honestly super distracting and it didn't even stop anyone.  The same people just kept filming every once in awhile and sometimes they would film with the light flashing on them for extended periods of time just ignoring it until the guard actually went over to them or called upon another guard.  Which was also annoying, the guys radio was loud enough that I could hear it over the music.  Once again, I think if this guy wasn't posted up by me, it probably would be less annoying.  Funny enough, for once, I was not the one filming.  I didn't attempt to take a single video although I did snap a few pics when the guard would go off yelling at someone. 

Performance wise, show was great. Everything else, meh.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »
Question - phone free event. I knew this, and after reading your post, I think I have the answer, but I'll ask anyway. We can have our phones with us, but we're asked not to use them during the show, correct?

As for that policy, SW can go fuck himself. I agree it's annoying to have a phone in the air at a show (I'm short, and it's bad enough seeing over people). That said, when my view is blocked, if I film something I want to see clearly, I can generally capture it on video holding it over my head, enabling me to see it later. SW needs to stop being an arrogant prick over this, as does anyone else who demands this at shows. I totally get it, and in a perfect world (and me having normal height - lol), I'd agree. But as it sits, that sucks.

I saw PT once and they were very boring on stage, so I expect more of the same - your post was not a surprise. Sounds like the music was great though, and I'm looking forward to the gig next week.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »
Yes. I had my phone on me. Used my wife to be a human shield to get pictures and 1 short video.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »
Question - phone free event. I knew this, and after reading your post, I think I have the answer, but I'll ask anyway. We can have our phones with us, but we're asked not to use them during the show, correct?

As for that policy, SW can go fuck himself. I agree it's annoying to have a phone in the air at a show (I'm short, and it's bad enough seeing over people). That said, when my view is blocked, if I film something I want to see clearly, I can generally capture it on video holding it over my head, enabling me to see it later. SW needs to stop being an arrogant prick over this, as does anyone else who demands this at shows. I totally get it, and in a perfect world (and me having normal height - lol), I'd agree. But as it sits, that sucks.

I saw PT once and they were very boring on stage, so I expect more of the same - your post was not a surprise. Sounds like the music was great though, and I'm looking forward to the gig next week.

They should just use the pouch if it's officially a phone free event.  I would have no issue doing that.  I went back to get a water during both sets (when there were no lines) and pulled out my phone to check messages (if it were a pouch event you could scan to open it in designated areas).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
Me and my brother did the Ohio to Chicago and back round trip yesterday. There were a couple of minor snafu's during the show, but overall it was an amazing show. Our seats were in the extreme nose bleed section of the venue, but when we got up there an usher was offering upgrade tix on the ground floor of the theater free of charge. We ended up about half way back on Gavin's side.

Some notes on the show:

1. Steven had a cold. There were some notes that he couldn't hit, and his voice got a little rough towards the end. He still sounded pretty damn good, and it didn't detract from the show in any way.

2. The two new touring members (names escape me at the moment) did an excellent job. I'm still sad about the situation with Colin, but his live replacement did an awesome job.

3. The volume and the mix(with one exception) was as good as it gets. I've been to many shows over the years where I'm either getting blown out of my seat, or it's possible to have a light conversation with my neighbor. That wasn't an issue last night.

4. My only issue with the mix was the snare sound. In general, I've noticed a move by a lot of drummers towards a deeper snare sound in the last 10-15 years. This isn't much of an issue for most players that only use the snare as a time keeping piece in their playing. However, Gavin is a technician and his use of ghost notes is a huge part of his playing. Those parts get lost in the mix with a deeper/lower snare tone in a live environment.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2022, 07:54:32 AM »
All I have to say it was one hell of a show. Probably Top 3 all time gig from any band.

Venue, mix, setlist was fantastic.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »
Really enjoyed the show in San Francisco last night. The Masonic is a wonderful venue for great sight lines. I was four rows back in the balcony and had a clear view the entire evening. Tremendous setlist. Since this thread allows spoilers, I'll talk about it. I really loved they included so much from IA and FoaBP. They were rotating Sentimental and I Drive the Hearse, and we got the latter, but despite wanting Sentimental, I enjoyed it. The new songs came off well live. The whole performance was great.

This was only my second PT show. I had tickets in 2003 for the gig at the Fillmore, and missed it. Then I missed the next tour (guessing it was FoaBP) for the same reason. I finally saw them in 2010 with Karnivool opening, and honestly, I couldn't remember much from it, other than how blown away I was at Karnivool. But this show last night, however, was really impactful. The crowd was great (a rarity for Bay Area crowds in my opinion), Steven Wilson was engaging as a frontman (although absolutely obnoxious with his snooty attitude), and the songs really came to life.

Everything was just so much fun and well performed last night. SW even broke a string and it was like nothing happened. The only snafu was they went to start a song, and apparently SW's guitar wasn't plugged in. So they stopped, he remarked on the "dodgy connection," fixed it, and off they went.

A solid 2.5 hours on stage. Great video accompaniment as well.

Everyone around me remarked on the ticket price. They were high. My buddy bought them, and I didn't ask how much, but he mentioned later that they were 144 bucks. I thought that was steep for fourth row, balcony. But it was worth every penny. Speaking of costs...merch...45 bucks for a shirt was dumb. But I got one. I also picked up two of the IA lithographs which were absolutely amazing (one for me, one for my friend who flew down from Seattle and bought us the tickets). I love the IA cover so much, so having that killer lithograph, signed by RB, SW, and GH is awesome. Going to have that professionally framed.

All in all, it was a great night of killer songs and I'm so glad PT is back.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2022, 08:57:21 AM »
I keep thinking about the show in Toronto and what a great experience it was. Prior to the start I was talking to the couple next to me about which songs we wanted to hear and I had mentioned Even less, and Sleep Together. We also said "imagine the tears if they play collapse" - I still can't believe they play them all. Sleep Together is my fav PT/SW song, and given how it had been played in his solo tours I was pleasantly surprised to hear it on the list.

I was shocked they played Last Chance - such an underrated song. My only nitpick is I could have used a bit more Deadwing - I think they only played Halo. That said, if this is their last tour ever it was true to the band.

Not knowing the set list made this so much better - I'm never checking setlists again.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2022, 09:13:12 AM »

They should just use the pouch if it's officially a phone free event.  I would have no issue doing that.  I went back to get a water during both sets (when there were no lines) and pulled out my phone to check messages (if it were a pouch event you could scan to open it in designated areas).

That pouch is what Jack White does. A bit annoying, but at the end of the day, it really does help you keep engaged with the concert with no temptation to grab the phone.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:20 AM »
Everyone around me remarked on the ticket price. They were high. My buddy bought them, and I didn't ask how much, but he mentioned later that they were 144 bucks. I thought that was steep for fourth row, balcony. But it was worth every penny. Speaking of costs...merch...45 bucks for a shirt was dumb. But I got one. I also picked up two of the IA lithographs which were absolutely amazing (one for me, one for my friend who flew down from Seattle and bought us the tickets). I love the IA cover so much, so having that killer lithograph, signed by RB, SW, and GH is awesome. Going to have that professionally framed.

Wow, looking at where I sat for the DC show, it was comparable to your seat. I got soooooo lucky given I only spent $70 after all fees on an aftermarket ticket on StubHub. The show would have been worth full face, but scoring a cheap ticket made it that much better. Took the sting off of the $45 t-shirt for sure.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
I keep thinking about the show in Toronto and what a great experience it was. Prior to the start I was talking to the couple next to me about which songs we wanted to hear and I had mentioned Even less, and Sleep Together. We also said "imagine the tears if they play collapse" - I still can't believe they play them all. Sleep Together is my fav PT/SW song, and given how it had been played in his solo tours I was pleasantly surprised to hear it on the list.

I was shocked they played Last Chance - such an underrated song. My only nitpick is I could have used a bit more Deadwing - I think they only played Halo. That said, if this is their last tour ever it was true to the band.

Not knowing the set list made this so much better - I'm never checking setlists again.
Not knowing what's coming up makes it that much more enjoyable IMO. Sometimes you get what you want, other times is song you don't care about but the anticipation makes it a much more enjoyable experience than if I knew the setlist.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2022, 06:27:29 PM »
Speculation time...Alex Lifeson was in LA this week for the Taylor Hawkins tribute show, how amazing would it be if he showed up at the Greek Theatre tomorrow to play his solo from Anesthetize?  :o

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2022, 09:09:05 AM »
Highlights for me personally in SF were: Blackest Eyes, Even Less and the FoaBP material. Great stuff.

The evening with format needs to be a permanent thing with PT...if they continue. My only significant complaint about the setlist was a lack of Deadwing material. But as I was saying to my friend on the way out...we got a bunch from IA, which is 20 years old this year. IF they come back again, it'll likely be Deadwing's 20th, and then there will probably be a good chuck of that album being played. Anyway, I was happy and pretty much buzzin on PT all of yesterday (and of course the ritual of wearing the new shirt the day after the gig).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »
Highlights for me personally in SF were: Blackest Eyes, Even Less and the FoaBP material. Great stuff.

The evening with format needs to be a permanent thing with PT...if they continue. My only significant complaint about the setlist was a lack of Deadwing material. But as I was saying to my friend on the way out...we got a bunch from IA, which is 20 years old this year. IF they come back again, it'll likely be Deadwing's 20th, and then there will probably be a good chuck of that album being played. Anyway, I was happy and pretty much buzzin on PT all of yesterday (and of course the ritual of wearing the new shirt the day after the gig).

My hunch for the lack of Deadwing material is that there's a boxset/deluxe version coming up soon (similar to the In Absentia one). I believe the boxset is confirmed without a release date yet. If there is a second leg, I'm ASSuming they would be playing more Deadwing material. There is a small window when PT can tour again next year. Gavin has Pineapple Thief with a new album (Bruce has said Spring 2023) and tour coming up and Steven has a new solo album coming up (don't know about a timeline).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
That would be cool. Funny enough, I remember with the IA boxset was announced, and I didn't grab it, complaining about the price. But I've changed my mind and I just went ahead and ordered it. Funny how a live show reminds you of how much you love a record.

My favorite song is "Even Less," but my favorite record is probably IA. And I'm pretty partial (as are a lot of folks) of the IA-FoaBP run.

I'd be up for a second run of U.S. dates. I'm assuming some secondary markets such as Seattle would get some love if that was the case. The left out a lot of key cities/regions on this leg. I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten a show.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2022, 03:52:23 PM »
Heads up for those that's on the fence of the LA show.  There are tickets at the B section at the Greek Theater on Tickpick that's going for $20-30.00, but the catch is that you got to buy them in pairs.

I'm not going to today's show.  Feeling a little tired and want to get mentally rested for next week.  Plus, there are no more $10.00 shuttle parking passes for this show, so I don't want to pay $30.00 for parking today.