Author Topic: "I should listen to this more often" albums by favorites  (Read 1507 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
"I should listen to this more often" albums by favorites
« on: June 17, 2022, 06:29:33 AM »
I was talking about this with a friend recently, about how seemingly most of my favorite bands/artists have an album that I know is great, one I feel is definitely one of their best (vs being a favorite), yet is one I rarely listen to anymore.

Examples:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Incredible album, yes, but I just never listen to it anymore.  And it is not like burnout is the reason as I listened to their other core 70s albums just as much, if not more, over the years.

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
It seems like most Devin fans consider this a top tier record in his catalogue, and I get it.  When I do listen to it, I get why many think that. I just rarely reach for this one.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: "I should listen to this more often" albums by favorites
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 07:07:51 AM »
Three immediately come to mind:

Opeth, Blackwater Park — I feel like I'm much more likely to reach for Damnation, Ghost Reveries, or Morningrise, but on the rare occasion that I do put BP on, it always hits just right.
Rush, Moving Pictures — This is more a testament to the strength of the Rush discography than anything else
Leprous, Bilateral — I love this album, but it's been a really long time since I gave it a full listen. I'm much more likely to crave Coal or The Congregation
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
Iron Maiden: pretty much any of them. I very rarely listen to a full album at once, but when I do, I realise what I was missing.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:23:40 AM »
2112, A Farewell to kings and Hemispheres. Such a good run of albums, but I listen to albums from Permanent waves onwards much more often.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 09:47:02 AM »
I was talking about this with a friend recently, about how seemingly most of my favorite bands/artists have an album that I know is great, one I feel is definitely one of their best (vs being a favorite), yet is one I rarely listen to anymore.

I find that the ones I rarely listen to are those that have 2-3 songs I love but I don't love the rest.  The albums I LOVE front to back definitely get played a lot.  Last time I did a Maiden catalog run, I found myself liking No Prayer for the Dying better than I ever did (and even better than Fear of the Dark), so I feel like that's an album I need to spend more time with.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline emtee

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 09:52:28 AM »
Zep IV
Images and Words
The Wall
Hemispheres
Little Queen

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 06:37:52 PM »
Just about every album I own when it's playing.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 05:05:21 AM »
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor. I actually think it's probably the best Nevermore album, but other than the title track I rarely visit it any more. I'm much more likely to play Enemies of Reality or The Obsidian Conspiracy.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 06:57:36 PM »
Tales From the Thousand Lakes and Elegy from Amorphis.  I love them when I do play them, but it's just not often enough.  When I want something melodic, I just like Joutsen too much, and when I'm in the mood for some early stuff these days I'm more likely to put on The Karelian Isthmus, which is a very unique-sounding album in the oeuvre of death/doom. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 07:40:41 PM »
Zep IV for sure. Every song on the radio and i just overplayed the hell out of it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 04:54:41 AM »
Iron Maiden: pretty much any of them. I very rarely listen to a full album at once, but when I do, I realise what I was missing.

I can totally relate with this. They are, and always will be, my favorite band. But I discovered them in 1995. I know the songs inside out. With all the new stuff that is out there and musical tastes ever changing and developing, it's hard that with all the choices I have, I go back to Piece of Mind for the 5675238th time. But I'm sure that if chance would happen to listen to any of their albums, I would love it.

Also, I consider Scenes from a Memory the greatest album ever, my personal favorite. Can't remember the last time I heard it. Probably when they performed it live in front of me in early 2020.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HOF

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 08:25:20 AM »
Listened to Ty Tabor's Safety last night and thought of this thread. Really good stuff, probably haven't listened through the whole thing in like 10 years for some reason.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »
Latter day Fylower Kings.  I mean any of the last three.

i liked Waited for Miracles and Islands a lot. Though Islands does suffer from too many Instrumentals.  However i recently played By Royal Decree.  holy Smokes.....i think it's the best album this band has released in years.  I've beenaddicted too it.

so Latter period Kings is way better than i remember.

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 10:21:50 AM »
Today it’s The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone. Been meaning to give this a full listen for awhile, and today is the day I guess.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »
Yea, Slice of Death by Pizza Death