Author Topic: Porcupine Tree 2022 tour (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 5192 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Porcupine Tree 2022 tour (***SPOILERS***)
« on: September 11, 2022, 06:09:29 AM »
Feels like we need this thread so we can talk about the set list and the tour without spoiling anything for those with tickets to see them who do not want to know anything. 

Read this thread at our own peril.

Tour dates:

https://porcupinetree.com/tour-dates/

Setlist from the first show last night in Toronto:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/2022/meridian-hall-toronto-on-canada-13b0e1b5.html

Some thoughts:

-Bummer to see nothing from Signify or before, but only so much time.
-All 7 songs from the new proper album were played, but none of the 3 bonus tracks.
-Loved seeing Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled played again!!
-The live PT debut of Collapse the Light into Earth...awesome.
-I was pleasantly surprised to see that they played I Drive the Hearse, my favorite song from The Incident. I thought they would ignore that album.
-Not surprised to see In Absentia and Fear... get heavy representation on the 00 albums, as they said those albums would get the most love, but only one song from Deadwing is a bit disheartening.

Overall, fantastic set list. Still bummed they aren't coming to STL.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Porcupine Tree 2022 tour (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:07:08 AM »
Also really happy PT is playing I Drive the Hearse, wonderful and gorgeous song! :hefdaddy
Deadwing is my fave PT album, it could have at least more 2 songs from it. Also something from Signify/Stupid Dream would be nice too. But I'm think it's great that they are truly promoting the (excellent) new album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 08:22:47 AM »
As someone who absolutely adores the IA -> FoaBP run, isn't crazy about TI, and quite likes the new album, this is a pretty fantastic setlist for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
Also really happy PT is playing I Drive the Hearse, wonderful and gorgeous song! :hefdaddy
Deadwing is my fave PT album, it could have at least more 2 songs from it. Also something from Signify/Stupid Dream would be nice too. But I'm think it's great that they are truly promoting the (excellent) new album.

They did play Even Less, track 1 from Stupid Dream, but more from that album is always better.  :tup :tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 08:58:42 AM »
Sure! :facepalm:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »
Tour finally starts tonight.  :metal :metal

Can't wait to see the set list to see what they are playing.

My predictions - The set will be heavy on In Absentia, Deadwing, FOABP, and C/C of course, and they'll throw in two pre-IA songs. My guesses will be "Even Less" and "Dislocated Day".

I'm curious as to how much of C/C will be played, and if they'll include any of the three bonus tracks in the set as well.

-Marc.

Totally called it on "Even Less". An absolute classic. I'm sure it was only the album version but I could hope for the full 14-minute version! :lol

Having "Buying New Soul" and the full version of "Anesthetize" is pretty epic. I think the biggest surprise has to be "Collapse Light Into Earth" - I hope video of that pops up sometime!

I hope the set stays largely the same for an eventual live album release.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
Cool setlist. I think they probably could’ve removed Muzak/Sentimental or Fear and stuck in some pre-Stupid Dream songs for fans of those albums, but having Buying New Soul and the full Anesthetize is really good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:36:27 AM »
Given that it is their first tour in 12 years, I get playing some of the tried and true mainstays, so I am good with Muzak, Sleep Together, Even Less and Fear all getting played.

They did say that a song from In Absentia that had never been played before was getting played, so it had to be Lips of Ashes or Collapse..., the only two from the album to never get played, so I thought Collapse... was almost a given.  Surprised to see it as an encore, however.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 11:46:20 AM »
That's a good setlist. Still hoping to score a ticket for SF, but certainly looking forward to the LA show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 12:30:46 PM »
Alright I bit the bullet. Just bought my ticket for the DC show next Sunday.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 12:36:44 PM »
I think the setlist is good, though fairly predictable and safe. I think to really take it from good to great you'd probably replace at least 2 songs with something truly unexpected and get some more representation from the first 4 albums.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
I think the setlist is good, though fairly predictable and safe. I think to really take it from good to great you'd probably replace at least 2 songs with something truly unexpected and get some more representation from the first 4 albums.
Like Linton Samuel Dawson  :biggrin: Or pull out And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun for the LoL's
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
I don't think SW holds the early PT material in high esteem anymore, and Harrison has no attachment to that era since he didn't play on any of it, so unless Richard was doing a hard sell on any song from the early years, there was likely no one in the room pushing hard for any of it.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 01:01:34 PM »
I don't think SW holds the early PT material in high esteem anymore, and Harrison has no attachment to that era since he didn't play on any of it, so unless Richard was doing a hard sell on any song from the early years, there was likely no one in the room pushing hard for any of it.
Yeah, that makes sense. Although Gavin Harrison did re-record drums for the remastered version of Up the Downstair. I love that album and it would have been cool to hear something from that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »
Well, don't get me started on how Gavin plays the older stuff (that he didn't play on originally).  It's probably best that they don't play it, to be honest.  I didn't think of it before, but not playing Hatesong this time around is a blessing, that way his overplaying doesn't taint yet another inevitable live release.  He's a great drummer, but his overplaying can be irksome.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 01:07:38 PM »
Well, don't get me started on how Gavin plays the older stuff (that he didn't play on originally).  It's probably best that they don't play it, to be honest.  I didn't think of it before, but not playing Hatesong this time around is a blessing, that way his overplaying doesn't taint yet another inevitable live release.  He's a great drummer, but his overplaying can be irksome.
We'll have to agree to disagree there. I love the way Gavin plays Chris Maitland's parts. Don't get me wrong, I also loved Maitland's drumming too. Then again I'm also a drummer, so some overplaying live doesn't bother me in the slightest.

As an aside, I think it's good Gavin re-did the drum parts on Up the Downstair, since the original was a drum machine and didn't sound all that great.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree there. I love the way Gavin plays Chris Maitland's parts. Don't get me wrong, I also loved Maitland's drumming too. Then again I'm also a drummer, so some overplaying live doesn't bother me in the slightest.

As an aside, I think it's good Gavin re-did the drum parts on Up the Downstair, since the original was a drum machine and didn't sound all that great.

Eh, there are some specific drum fills on the original Up the Downstair that I loved that Gavin not only did differently on the remaster, but overplayed, because what a laid back, trippy album needs is overplayed drum rolls. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Not trying to pick on Gavin, but to me he is like the Jordan Rudess of drums: he often overplays the crap out of something just because he can.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 08:05:21 PM »
https://youtu.be/I-j6qwAofec

Someone has uploaded their audience recording of the (almost entire) Toronto show on YouTube.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
2nd show tonight, so I guess we'll see if the set list remains the same or if any spots will get rotated.  Given that it's not a long tour, my guess is the set list will be the same every night, but time will tell. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 09:54:28 PM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/2022/place-bell-laval-qc-canada-3b0c95f.html

If this is accurate, it looks like they dropped "Sentimental".

-Marc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 08:26:17 AM »
If anyone is going to the shows before me (mine is the 28th) and buys any merch - can you snap a pic? Also, are the shirts the softer cotton, or the rough old school ones? I don't buy a lot of concert shirts any longer, but if it's a softer shirt and not insanely priced, I'd like one. I stupidly didn't get one on The Incident tour in San Fran 10 years ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 09:56:10 AM »
I can do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »
Thanks to Vmadera00, I'll be at the Radio City show on Friday

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 05:40:14 PM »
That triangle-shaped Closure/Continuation shirt seems very neat for a shirt-design.  $40.00 though......

Wouldn't mind seeing this tour at the Greek Theater in LA if the price is right, but I'm out of town that day, but I'm sure it's been something people want to see and I hope people enjoy it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 05:51:13 PM »
That orange shirt is hideous.  :lol :lol

I haven't bought concert t's since the mid 90s anyway, but if PT was coming here, I sure wouldn't throw money away on those.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »
Joe, did you see if they were selling any vinyl?
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 07:45:36 PM »
3 different Vinyls for the new album.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2022, 08:09:43 AM »
That, for my tastes, is an excellent set list.

Really wish I was able to hit one of these shows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
how are ticket sales and attendance versus DT in us

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2022, 11:02:41 AM »
I would say similar. It wasn't full capacity and with the seats vs. standing room is was more like 3000.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »

Eh, there are some specific drum fills on the original Up the Downstair that I loved that Gavin not only did differently on the remaster, but overplayed, because what a laid back, trippy album needs is overplayed drum rolls. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Not trying to pick on Gavin, but to me he is like the Jordan Rudess of drums: he often overplays the crap out of something just because he can.

HAHA

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2022, 11:15:35 AM »
That triangle-shaped Closure/Continuation shirt seems very neat for a shirt-design.  $40.00 though......

Wouldn't mind seeing this tour at the Greek Theater in LA if the price is right, but I'm out of town that day, but I'm sure it's been something people want to see and I hope people enjoy it.

I like the hoodies, but that's about it.  I also like the care the Merch people put into tucking the arms into the front pocket.  :) :) :)

Offline frogprog

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »
I binged today at work listening  to PT all day. Very much looking forward to the show tomorrow night in Philly. They are playing The Met where I saw DT earlier this year and that was a very pleasant  concert experience. I'm sure they won't disappoint! Also very much want to see what Randy and the bass player add.