Author Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II  (Read 2152 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
RIP Queen Elizabeth II
« on: September 08, 2022, 11:43:31 AM »
We knew it had to happen eventually... RIP your majesty.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
My local newspaper was even quicker than you.

My mother is likely in tears. What a legendary figure in this world.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »
RIP Elizabeth.

If my math isn't wrong, over 90% or so of the earth's population was born during her reign.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »
What an incredible life and reign she had. My thoughts are with her family and the British people... RIP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 11:47:43 AM »
My local newspaper was even quicker than you.

My mother is likely in tears. What a legendary figure in this world.

In my defense, I am getting ready for lunch service.

It's arguable that she is the most famous and well known person of the last 100 years.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »
I hope this isn't an incentive question. I'm asking it with all seriousness... what happens to the currency now? Does producing currency with her image on it cease starting today, or will they keep her on it for some time? 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 11:50:07 AM »
Definitely the end of an era.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:51 AM »
I hope this isn't an incentive question. I'm asking it with all seriousness... what happens to the currency now? Does producing currency with her image on it cease starting today, or will they keep her on it for some time? 

Current printing will likely stop and swap over to a new design. Old currency will be phased out over time.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
The Queen was pretty damn amazing. RIP

Online pg1067

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 12:19:49 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge
I like to think that once word got out, and every guy and his dog knew what "London Bridge is Down" meant, the powers that be quietly changed the codename to "Operation Bananas Foster" or some shit, just so the joke would be on us.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 01:10:19 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge
I like to think that once word got out, and every guy and his dog knew what "London Bridge is Down" meant, the powers that be quietly changed the codename to "Operation Bananas Foster" or some shit, just so the joke would be on us.

I'm definitively on board with that haha!!!

The Queen is dead, long live the King.

Today, a piece of History dies. The last and most important link to the XX century. She started her reign with Churchill as Prime Minister, while Truman was US president - a woman that started with the guy that helped to defeat Hitler and the guy that sanctioned the use of the atomic bomb was alive and with us until yesterday.

It's the end of an era, I'm not really fully processing by how quick it happened. Yeah, it was inevitable - a woman of that age was bound to peacefully die out after a short illness, and also her privacy was extremely guarded. But it came out of the blue. I mean, look at the Pope for example - he's aging, he has issues with his knee and he's often in a chair. I'm not saying I'm expecting him to die in six months or even a year, but.... he's an aging man. It shows. Queen Elizabeth II was still going strong three days ago - at the very least, she was able to greet in public the new prime minister (congratulations on her btw, on her third day on the job the Queen dies).

I think the Queen was one of the persons in the world that felt most alone. I don't mean lonely - she had family, her dogs, the servants. I mean alone as in no one truly able to understand what was it like to be the personification and living symbol of a nation. Presidents can talk to ex presidents. Heck, even Bergoglio can talk to Ratzinger. Who is / was Elizabeth's equal? who could truly understand a woman so old that probably even personal friends eventually died out one by one? no one. Only she and she alone truly understood what was it like to give up your life to be the symbol of a nation.

Rest in peace Elizabeth II, the world - and even the webz with all those memes about your longevity - will never be the same without you. And screw you Louis XIV too, I was rooting for dear Aunt Betty to surpass your legendary reign in terms of longevity  :lol all she needed was less than 2 years....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »
Good show, old girl! RIP!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 02:58:59 PM »
We have a UK rail trip from September 13-25 and the tour manager emailed the group an hour ago with a slight schedule change due to the rail strike, but did not mention the queens passing in the email.

RIP Queen
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
Rail strikes have been cancelled now in any case.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 04:39:21 PM »
"Queen reunites with Freddie Mercury"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 05:18:50 PM »
Seen on Twitter:

"Can't believe they are going to make a MAN queen. This woke nonsense has gone too far."   :rollin
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online pg1067

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 05:57:01 PM »
Seen on Twitter:

"Can't believe they are going to make a MAN queen. This woke nonsense has gone too far."   :rollin

:lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 08:43:56 PM »
Re: aging

What blows my mind is that Charles is 73. Elizabeth had her reign for 70 years…Charles will be fortunate if his is 10. ….maybe 15.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 08:46:05 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2022, 08:48:37 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2022, 10:16:03 PM »
I'm no royalist but I find that a little disrespectful. Someone's literally *just* died.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:34:53 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
"Queen reunites with Freddie Mercury"

That's gold!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 05:28:34 AM »

I think the Queen was one of the persons in the world that felt most alone. I don't mean lonely - she had family, her dogs, the servants. I mean alone as in no one truly able to understand what was it like to be the personification and living symbol of a nation. Presidents can talk to ex presidents. Heck, even Bergoglio can talk to Ratzinger. Who is / was Elizabeth's equal? who could truly understand a woman so old that probably even personal friends eventually died out one by one? no one. Only she and she alone truly understood what was it like to give up your life to be the symbol of a nation.

I kind of agree with you here, as a girl she never went to school, being home-taught by tutors. In fact, her children were the first Royals to go to attend school. Her parents were often absent on Royal duties and tours overseas, and when she expressed an interest in joining the Girl Guides they had to create a special "Buckingham Palace" branch just for her and a few children of courtiers to attend. She certainly lead an interesting and charmed life, but it must have been a lonely one.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online pg1067

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
So...I have a question for our resident Brits.

A bit of background.  My wife's father was an Episcopal priest and, according to my wife, quite the anglophile.  My wife has a bachelor's degree in medieval and classical studies and a master of arts in teaching with an emphasis on history.  She is also somewhat of an anglophile.

Ever since Chuck and Diane got divorced (or maybe it wasn't until he remarried), my wife insisted that he could not become king.  When I asked why, she said something about canon law.  Of course, as a good lawyer, I probed further, asking for code sections and what not (it's one of those things that has come up a few times, and I find it amusing to poke the bear).  Not surprisingly, she has never been able to provide any reference to actual authority and, instead, would inevitably get pissed at me for not accepting what she says as gospel.  Yesterday, I heard her talking with my daughter about this, and I vaguely heard a reference to Edward VIII.  My understanding is that Big Ed abdicated as king because he wanted to marry a divorced American woman (and he himself was not divorced).  My understanding was that Eddie was not legally obligated to abdicate but, rather, that he did so because the marriage of the king to a divorced American (in 1936) would have been scandalous (given that the monarch is the titular head of the church of England).

With all that said, obviously, there's no legal impediment to Chuck becoming king, so....  Has my wife just always been wrong?  Or has something changed (be it law or public tolerance for divorce)?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 11:18:52 AM »
So...I have a question for our resident Brits.

A bit of background.  My wife's father was an Episcopal priest and, according to my wife, quite the anglophile.  My wife has a bachelor's degree in medieval and classical studies and a master of arts in teaching with an emphasis on history.  She is also somewhat of an anglophile.

Ever since Chuck and Diane got divorced (or maybe it wasn't until he remarried), my wife insisted that he could not become king.  When I asked why, she said something about canon law.  Of course, as a good lawyer, I probed further, asking for code sections and what not (it's one of those things that has come up a few times, and I find it amusing to poke the bear).  Not surprisingly, she has never been able to provide any reference to actual authority and, instead, would inevitably get pissed at me for not accepting what she says as gospel.  Yesterday, I heard her talking with my daughter about this, and I vaguely heard a reference to Edward VIII.  My understanding is that Big Ed abdicated as king because he wanted to marry a divorced American woman (and he himself was not divorced).  My understanding was that Eddie was not legally obligated to abdicate but, rather, that he did so because the marriage of the king to a divorced American (in 1936) would have been scandalous (given that the monarch is the titular head of the church of England).

With all that said, obviously, there's no legal impediment to Chuck becoming king, so....  Has my wife just always been wrong?  Or has something changed (be it law or public tolerance for divorce)?

The short answer is that times have changed and the Church of England has changed with the times.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Prince-Charles-still-allowed-to-be-King-even-though-he-divorced-Edward-the-Duke-of-Windsor-had-to-abdicate-his-right-to-throne-because-he-wanted-to-marry-the-divorcee-Wallis-Simpson

In contrast by 2005 when Charles remarried the Church of England had revised it views and allowed remarriage [2002]. He was dating a divorcee who had divorced her husband a decade earlier [1995] and he sought the permission of the Crown, the Church and Parliament and received it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 09:10:09 PM »
I am no Anglophile by any means, and do not follow Royal news/happenings, but I just realized today I don't believe I have ever heard Charles speak before.

Re: aging

What blows my mind is that Charles is 73. Elizabeth had her reign for 70 years…Charles will be fortunate if his is 10. ….maybe 15.

Definitely. "Hey, I know you are well past retirement age, but now you real life's work is going to begin!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2022, 05:50:55 AM »
It's gonna be weird for a while to know that there's a King in the UK, and that now it's William who's Prince of Wales  :D

All in all I have to say I found the Queen's death a bit anticlimatic. I don't know how I expected it to go - probably in a quiet historical moment, there's so much shit going on right now with a pandemic and a war, that I thought she deserved to go in a relatively quiet time when she could dominate the news. And I expected some foreshadowing, some illness, even though it's not so out of this world that very elderly people pass away quickly and quietly.

There's also a privacy factor, I'm sure so many minor and non consequential health worries were carefully hidden from the public, and not being in the UK I probably get a lot less news about her - in Italy for example, wether we like it or not, we always get coverage about the Pope so, as I previously said, I can see that he's an aging man; by no means I consider him likely to die within 12 months, but he's aging and growing relatively weaker and it shows. Queen Elizabeth II seemed always herself, I guess those in the UK could read better between the lines counting all the official events she was always missing more and more.

Think back of another major death of a key figure of the second half of the XX century, another one that reigned so long, Pope John Paul II - he was growing week and frail year after year, and he was often hospitalized in the last months. He barely could speak anymore. And then he got worse and you know the time was nigh, it was a long time coming. I guess that's would have happen to the Queen as well.

Instead, I read some reports from people around her that until the very end, saying how she was absolutely clear of mind, calm and in good spirits. She just got worse suddenly and unexpectedly. Ah well, I guess it's another "carpe diem" lesson, that not even the Queen could hold on that long or put up a fierce fight for her life with the nation worried for two weeks. For all the jokes about her immortality...... one day she just got worse and died without forewarning. Like countless other elder people.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2022, 07:09:26 AM »

I hope her image continue to be present, I thing they will find a hard time adjusting the size of their coins to the big ears of Charles III, j/k

RIP Elizabeth

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 07:13:07 AM »
Historically the current monarch would be added to currency, but if I were Charles, I'd have it stay the way it is.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 07:44:01 AM »
I thought the same thing the Queen as I did about Bob Hope and Snake Plissken - "I thought you was dead".  :eek

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 12:22:25 PM »
Historically the current monarch would be added to currency, but if I were Charles, I'd have it stay the way it is.

You're assuming that the monarch actually has any choice in any of this.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2022, 12:49:45 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »
If y'all are on Twitter and want to try some good old British humor, try #CoffinWatch
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad