Author Topic: 2022 NFL Pick'em  (Read 4422 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2022 NFL Pick'em
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2023, 03:20:52 PM »
The most simple, straight forward way is for each to pick the total points for the game.  If they both are correct or incorrect on their picks....whoever is the closest, without going over, is the winner. 
That's certainly the easiest option, and it's what Yahoo does (if I had their tiebreak option activated, which I don't). I've just never really liked that. It seems more like a lottery than an actual prediction. Rather than just "48" (which would be covered by the O/U anyway), I want people picking actual scores. Maybe one guy thinks it'll be 48-0, and the other is thinking 28-24. That should count for something.

But again, I'm open to suggestions/criticisms/threats/whatever.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2023, 07:02:01 PM »
Mkay, so what have we decided? I have a coin here that needs flipping.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2023, 03:19:19 AM »

I'm thinking, Eagles in a blowout. KC has too many players banged up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2023, 08:31:40 AM »
I'm thinking you and DA66 need to PM me the final score of the game (ideally before it's played). O/U will still be the first tiebreaker, so whether or not the total is more or less than 50 matters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2023, 09:08:48 AM »
I'm thinking you and DA66 need to PM me the final score of the game (ideally before it's played). O/U will still be the first tiebreaker, so whether or not the total is more or less than 50 matters.

That got a laugh out loud.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
Something that occurs to me is that, while I abhor tie games, I sucked my way out of having any vested interest in this particular outcome. The principals here might prefer a tied finish to basing the outcome on a bet that's far more granular than the original point of the contest. We all signed on to pick straight win/loss, and that part is done. If both of you guys want to just call this a draw I'm cool with that. From my point of view it diminishes bragging rights, but different strokes. . .
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2023, 04:31:37 PM »
Well, the tiebreakers are out the door. They picked differently. Nice and easy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »
Well, the tiebreakers are out the door. They picked differently. Nice and easy.
Quite happy to see that. Tie-breakers were pretty much off the table anyway as DA hasn't been around to participate. It would have simply ended in a tie had they concurred.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2023, 08:18:17 PM »
Double A with the victory.

At least we Americans are safe in the thought that we didn't lose to the Brit Ruskie.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2023, 05:54:18 AM »
Yes, congrats to DA. I spent the halftime show drafting my winner's acceptance speech, so confident was I that Philly would see it home. Ah well. In times of failure the Russians have a philosophical saying: "Do not be bitter in defeat. Extend to your victorious opponent your praise, your humility, and a glass of polonium 210". I've always found that to be a little extreme so I merely offer my congratulations once again.     

Thanks to Barto for running it. Hope to do it again next season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2023, 05:57:15 AM »
Congrats DA and thanks ElBarto for running this. Next year hopefully I remember to save my selections every week.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2023, 06:28:30 AM »
Congrats to both guys. Well done.   On to next year!!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »
Thanks to those who extended congrats.  Much appreciated and thanks Barto for setting up the league.  :tup

As far as the potential tiebreaker, I wasn't too concerned because Dave won the divisional round even though the points were tied, moving him into 1st place.  Even if we had tied in the SB, he still would've retained the #1 spot and that's ok.  I would've accepted that as a Dave victory.  That's why I took a gamble on the SB underdogs (since I thought most would pick the favorite) and fortunately it paid off.  I just figured it was all or nothing at that point.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2023, 10:44:45 AM »
Thanks to those who extended congrats.  Much appreciated and thanks Barto for setting up the league.  :tup

As far as the potential tiebreaker, I wasn't too concerned because Dave won the divisional round even though the points were tied, moving him into 1st place.  Even if we had tied in the SB, he still would've retained the #1 spot and that's ok.  I would've accepted that as a Dave victory.  That's why I took a gamble on the SB underdogs (since I thought most would pick the favorite) and fortunately it paid off.  I just figured it was all or nothing at that point.
No idea what this divisional round is of which you speak. I can assure you that the endeavor was tied going into yesterday.

WTG.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2023, 11:11:35 AM »

No idea what this divisional round is of which you speak. I can assure you that the endeavor was tied going into yesterday.

Thanks.  Dave moved into 1st place after being undefeated in the divisional round and retained it through the conference championships even though our points were tied.  All I'm saying is that I would've been fine with Dave winning had we tied in the SB.  The yahoo ranking system still would've had him in the #1 spot.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2023, 11:44:40 AM »

Thanks.  Dave moved into 1st place after being undefeated in the divisional round and retained it through the conference championships even though our points were tied.  All I'm saying is that I would've been fine with Dave winning had we tied in the SB.  The yahoo ranking system still would've had him in the #1 spot.

If the points were the same, that was just alphabetical, no?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2023, 11:51:05 AM »

If the points were the same, that was just alphabetical, no?
I've never found rhyme nor reason as to how Yahoo sorts things.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2023, 03:00:34 PM »
Not alphabetical.  Let me try this again.  At the end of the divisional round, Dave won all 4 picks for that week (undefeated).  I only won 2 of the 4 picks.  Therefore, Dave caught up and tied me in points but was ranked ahead of me because he won the week.  In the conference championships, we both tied with 1 point each.  He remained at #1.  The only way for me to move into the #1 spot was to win the SB pick and that's what happened.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2023, 06:04:21 PM »
Congrats Dublagent! Another well played season by everyone!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2023, 06:26:11 AM »
Well done!

Bad year for making picks for me, as I finish 10th, and in the blazing 5 I do with a buddy every week all season (5 picks vs the spread), I basically finished .500, which is bad since you'd be in the red if you bet those thanks to the juice.