Author Topic: Growing Old Sucks: (Dealing With a Serious Health Situation)  (Read 6433 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Growing Old Sucks: (Dealing With a Serious Health Situation)
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the condolences. I  realize my comments on my journey may have derailed the thread. Quite a heavy topic to be sure. That wasn't my intent. I probably would have just kept it private really, but I can empathize with dealing with the insurance nonsense (reason #6,207  in my opinion, as to why we need universal health coverage here in the US, but I digress).

Again, the intent was to let the OP know that I can definitely relate to the issues with insurance. The irony for me is they won't cover whole body scans and tests when only 1 person in the sample size of our family (me and my children).had cancer. If I or anyone of my other children ever have cancer, then they would. But since there was only my son, despite the fact myself and my daughter also carry the cancer causing gene, they won't pay for diagnostics that would catch anything early enough to irradicate it when it's detected. They would rather only have to pay for the actual treatment of a possible advanced or incurable cancer once it's detected much later. It's ridiculous. I find myself hoping I get cancer which would then trigger my daughter getting annual whole body scans and regular monthly lab work.

Bur, yes...my son's passing has been a significant challenge  I haven't been inspired to work really since he died. I'm in a position now where I've been considering some dramatic changes in my life and considering a major move actually to Upstate NY. We'll see.

My deepest condolences, there are no words ,,,I wish I had the words to wash your pain away...

I will share that about 2 years ago my best friend , out of nowhere got Glioblastoma Brain cancer,, He was an athletic guy like me, we always were the great at sports but we party like kids from the 70s , me and him were best friends since age 5, He was in reality my brother,,, He might as well have been   I could go on forever,..... maybe it would be cathartic but ,,,

after a year of fighting and doing it all , we had his final party for his birthday at his bedside, the brain cancer was so aggressive but I was sure hed beat it and he did for 7 months and then he became paralyzed ,, He was the most alive magnetic, fun decent loving caring professional, good dad,,,,,  he passed days after that party we had for him,

I will never be the same, Im shatttered,,, barely 20 mins goes by that I dont think about him,,,  we spread his ashes  in  the ocean as he loved to surf,,, of course,,,

He was so brave,,, ive lost many friends sadly but,   the getting older thing is all part of it all,,, '''

Thanks for listening

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2022, 05:58:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for the condolences. I  realize my comments on my journey may have derailed the thread. Quite a heavy topic to be sure. That wasn't my intent. I probably would have just kept it private really, but I can empathize with dealing with the insurance nonsense (reason #6,207  in my opinion, as to why we need universal health coverage here in the US, but I digress).

Again, the intent was to let the OP know that I can definitely relate to the issues with insurance. The irony for me is they won't cover whole body scans and tests when only 1 person in the sample size of our family (me and my children).had cancer. If I or anyone of my other children ever have cancer, then they would. But since there was only my son, despite the fact myself and my daughter also carry the cancer causing gene, they won't pay for diagnostics that would catch anything early enough to irradicate it when it's detected. They would rather only have to pay for the actual treatment of a possible advanced or incurable cancer once it's detected much later. It's ridiculous. I find myself hoping I get cancer which would then trigger my daughter getting annual whole body scans and regular monthly lab work.

Bur, yes...my son's passing has been a significant challenge  I haven't been inspired to work really since he died. I'm in a position now where I've been considering some dramatic changes in my life and considering a major move actually to Upstate NY. We'll see.

My deepest condolences, there are no words ,,,I wish I had the words to wash your pain away...

I will share that about 2 years ago my best friend , out of nowhere got Glioblastoma Brain cancer,, He was an athletic guy like me, we always were the great at sports but we party like kids from the 70s , me and him were best friends since age 5, He was in reality my brother,,, He might as well have been   I could go on forever,..... maybe it would be cathartic but ,,,

after a year of fighting and doing it all , we had his final party for his birthday at his bedside, the brain cancer was so aggressive but I was sure hed beat it and he did for 7 months and then he became paralyzed ,, He was the most alive magnetic, fun decent loving caring professional, good dad,,,,,  he passed days after that party we had for him,

I will never be the same, Im shatttered,,, barely 20 mins goes by that I dont think about him,,,  we spread his ashes  in  the ocean as he loved to surf,,, of course,,,

He was so brave,,, ive lost many friends sadly but,   the getting older thing is all part of it all,,, '''

Thanks for listening

That almost makes me shed a tear EV, I'm so sorry for your loss.  He sounded like the best!  Trust me, he's still with you in some way and knows you love him.  Thanks for sharing that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »
EPICVIEW, Bro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
Thank You Very much TAC and WK,,,,,  luv u both...
 :heart
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 07:25:43 AM »

Thanks for listening

The fragility of life is something that just isn't thought about all that often as we all go about our business each day.....until your basically forced to witness it. Very sorry to hear this, he sounds like a heck of a fella.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »

Thanks for listening

The fragility of life is something that just isn't thought about all that often as we all go about our business each day.....until your basically forced to witness it. Very sorry to hear this, he sounds like a heck of a fella.

Thank You GMiller....   he was simply the best, amazingly it hit him when he was on his daily 5mile run, his eyes rolled back and he became disoriented, he somehow got back home but a week later the neurologist told him was stage 4 Glioblastoma, he had 2 tumors removed but some they could not get to due to them being on his brain stem,  my buds and me took turns caring for him over that year, he wa divorced but friends with the ex and the girlfriend was great also, but he needed help so we took turns, I was so sure hed beat it , and he as doing great, but then it took his body from him, the amazing part was he had his mind the whole time and never lost anything mentally, we told the old stories and we had an old school keg party and a quasi high school renunion for him as he was very well loved,    I still text him daily and it still goes thru   not sure who has his phone , maybe his daughter who is 22,  at least I know their is a beach chair in heaven next to him waiting for me , he looked like Kevin Costner, handsome , was great at all sports  , was they youngest VP a fortune 50 co had ever had, he was so driven to be great, he was the type that was always there for his friends, I remember every night going to bed scared that the phone would ring and then one sunday morning my phone rang at 6am and I saw it was my other best friend ( we all had grown up together an since grade school and all had stayed together since ( a blessing ) and I was panicked and it was the call ,,, I would joke with him that Id give him my brain but hed have to deal with all the chaos in it... I always tried to make him laugh but as the glio got worse it was harder and harder, Id carry him over my shoulder to the bathroom , Id shower him and get him dressed and get his braces on at the end,,,,   Ill never be the same, I knew it would be hard to lose him but I now feel lost and that my memories are gone with him,  I was his best man at his wedding and he was mine etc,  as kids we wernt allowed to be on the same team to make it more fair.. we rented shore house for 10 years during high school and after,  I fell apart at the funeral as we all had pictures going of us all... I kinda have given up on real happiness, I cry all the time over losing him. months after Id just stand in lines shopping etc and sob proudly as I was overwhelmed, I had bought a beach house right before he got ill , all I thought about was how he will love it..  he never got there, now I go there with my GF and look at the guest rooms and cry

Thanks you for letting me vent... peace and love to al;;
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 11:13:33 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I have had sore hips for years, and it is strange, as one will ache a little more than the other for a while.  The last few weeks, my left hip has been really achy, and I woke up twice this week with it just throbbing in pain, one which I could feel down much of my leg as well until I got up and moved around a little.  Additionally, I have had off and on back issues since my 20s, but I have managed them pretty well for the last 20 years to where I rarely get flare-ups with it anymore, but it turns out the back issues are what is causing the hip pain.  Recent X-rays showed that my hips are just fine, but mild disc narrowing and mild scoliosis are the issues.  Manageable, but a pain in the ass, or should I say, a pain in the back, hip and/or legs.  :lol :lol   My PT bent me into a pretzel again this morning and gave me some of that electro-whatever stuff to bring down some inflammation, and I will get some more of that next week.  Need to shed a few lbs as well, as I have snuck up from 190 to close to 200 lately, but knowing what the problems are feels like a huge lift.  Just have to do what is necessary to get it better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2022, 05:38:37 PM »
Yeah, at least you know. Is the pain in your hip joint or the nerves around it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2022, 05:44:32 PM »
It varies. It likes to move around, probably based on what parts of the back are inflamed and hitting whatever nerves or spots.  The human body is something else.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I have had sore hips for years, and it is strange, as one will ache a little more than the other for a while.  The last few weeks, my left hip has been really achy, and I woke up twice this week with it just throbbing in pain, one which I could feel down much of my leg as well until I got up and moved around a little.  Additionally, I have had off and on back issues since my 20s, but I have managed them pretty well for the last 20 years to where I rarely get flare-ups with it anymore, but it turns out the back issues are what is causing the hip pain.  Recent X-rays showed that my hips are just fine, but mild disc narrowing and mild scoliosis are the issues.  Manageable, but a pain in the ass, or should I say, a pain in the back, hip and/or legs.  :lol :lol   My PT bent me into a pretzel again this morning and gave me some of that electro-whatever stuff to bring down some inflammation, and I will get some more of that next week.  Need to shed a few lbs as well, as I have snuck up from 190 to close to 200 lately, but knowing what the problems are feels like a huge lift.  Just have to do what is necessary to get it better.

Kev   Ive been dealing with the same FKN issue for a few years,,  it sucks.  I had beat it but last month it came back, IM in great shape but its awful, it radiates all over my lower back on left side.  was icing it over the weekend,  Ice seems to help along with the usual use of advil etc..  Im so bummed it came back,  FEEL BETTER

Offline Skeever

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2022, 10:52:51 AM »
Not sure this qualifies as a "serious health situation" but a recent bloodwork I had done showed some elevated liver enzymes (AST about 17 UI/L above the 'normal' range and ALT 21 UI/L above). Doctor wasn't too concerned, but recommended an ultrasound of my liver to confirm that I need to diet and exercise (with, I guess, the understanding that there's a minute chance it could be something else).
Really sucks to go through these kind of screenings, and have that anxiety weighing on you, but better to know upfront what you're dealing with than meet a problem later on when it's harder to manage. Right? ....Right????

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
EV, that last post about your friend was very touching.  You'll see him again one day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
Not sure this qualifies as a "serious health situation" but a recent bloodwork I had done showed some elevated liver enzymes (AST about 17 UI/L above the 'normal' range and ALT 21 UI/L above). Doctor wasn't too concerned, but recommended an ultrasound of my liver to confirm that I need to diet and exercise (with, I guess, the understanding that there's a minute chance it could be something else).
Really sucks to go through these kind of screenings, and have that anxiety weighing on you, but better to know upfront what you're dealing with than meet a problem later on when it's harder to manage. Right? ....Right????

My liver readings are up as well, no idea which ones though, but I'm actually having an ultrasound on it next week. They have attributed it to being a fatty liver in the past.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
Just catching up on this thread - TempusVox and Epicview, so very sorry for your losses.  Grief is a monster that can often go dormant only to rear up again when you least expect it.  It's been 9 months since my sister died of a pulmonary embolism at age 51 and what would've been her birthday is now only 2 weeks away.  They say the first year is the hardest.  I guess I thought I'd be in a better place about it by now.  It still just hurts all the time.  And it really fucks with your mind.  Last week one of my kids had their first migraine and my mind kept going to the worst case scenario and it was all I could do not to drive over to their place and spend the night to make sure they didn't lose consciousness and not be able to call for help.

It seems so silly now but in that moment, I was right back at my sister's house with the paramedics realizing there was nothing I could do.  :'(
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »

Kev   Ive been dealing with the same FKN issue for a few years,,  it sucks.  I had beat it but last month it came back, IM in great shape but its awful, it radiates all over my lower back on left side.  was icing it over the weekend,  Ice seems to help along with the usual use of advil etc..  Im so bummed it came back,  FEEL BETTER

Thanks, I appreciate it.  :tup :tup

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 06:55:05 PM »

: )    i noticed this weekend a good half hour of icing it and a few advils then a hot shower seemed to get me going ,,, I thought it was a pinched nerve.. and I still think it was but it went on for years before just going away after an odd move I made one day that lit it up but then it finally like magic went away   ,,,,,NOW it came back after doing a ton of heavy lifting type chores and up and down ladder , construction work yada,,,  Its been a few weeks and its not gotten much better, just sorta hoping again....   you feel better also my bro : )....I feel your pain : )  literally  lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 07:01:08 PM »
Just catching up on this thread - TempusVox and Epicview, so very sorry for your losses.  Grief is a monster that can often go dormant only to rear up again when you least expect it.  It's been 9 months since my sister died of a pulmonary embolism at age 51 and what would've been her birthday is now only 2 weeks away.  They say the first year is the hardest.  I guess I thought I'd be in a better place about it by now.  It still just hurts all the time.  And it really fucks with your mind.  Last week one of my kids had their first migraine and my mind kept going to the worst case scenario and it was all I could do not to drive over to their place and spend the night to make sure they didn't lose consciousness and not be able to call for help.

It seems so silly now but in that moment, I was right back at my sister's house with the paramedics realizing there was nothing I could do.  :'(

I am soooo sorry to hear of that loss... wishing you peace love and strength as its just so difficult,,  there are simply no words you just have to tell yourself its Gods plan,,, that we will see them again,  I am so sorry for you and your families loss,, they say time is the only thing but IDK   so far it feels like no amount of time can heal my heart or yours

Lots of love
hugz
EV

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2022, 07:11:31 PM »
EV, that last post about your friend was very touching.  You'll see him again one day.

Thank you WK...  I know I will,,...luv ya

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2022, 07:18:05 PM »

My liver readings are up as well, no idea which ones though, but I'm actually having an ultrasound on it next week. They have attributed it to being a fatty liver in the past.

Glad you are being proactive on that my bro.... : )

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »

Glad you are being proactive on that my bro  : )

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2022, 07:21:58 PM »

Glad you are being proactive on that my bro.... : )

I think I had one years ago, and the doctor basically said nothing. I told him I have a few beers a night, and he said having one "during the game" should be ok. What kind of diagnosis is that?  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2022, 06:27:48 AM »

I'm only three months or so in, and this is nothing like I imagined it to be.  I've lost people before - my grandmother, particularly - but I was 21, full of piss and vinegar, and up at college.   I missed her then - still miss her now - but it was what it was.  This is not that.  I'm working on a Jeep and I can't count the number of times I've picked up the phone to call... and he's not there.  I'm so far in denial on this it's ridiculous, but on the same token I can't help but bring him up in conversation constantly.  I cancelled the telephone service at the assisted living (mom doesn't use it and probably can't at this point) but it was something he wanted SO bad, and I felt guilty about cancelling it.  It's weird.  I have his cell phone - which took me like six months to get straight (he had to upgrade from 3G and I switched him onto my plan at that same time) - sitting on my desk.  I literally don't know what to do with it. He's had that phone number for like two decades; I can't just CANCEL it, can I?  :)  My therapists says it'll get better, but there's a ways to go yet (she says it nicer than that, but still).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2022, 06:31:18 AM »

Thanks for sharing, and feel free to let me know how it goes (here, in DM, wherever, if comfortable).
I find it nice knowing what other people are going through, especially when it comes to health stuff you often feel so "siloed".

I did do some reading and found that, based on studies, something like 10% of the population would expected to have elevated liver readings were they to be tested, with the majority of those cases having no serious underlying cause. But I guess better to know for sure than to leave it to chance.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2022, 06:33:25 AM »
In keeping with your "it's good to know", I've had consistently high bilirubins in every blood test since I was about 17.   It's not off the charts high, but probably 5% or so.  My doctors know it and now they just look not for the absolute value, but any change in value. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2022, 06:56:39 AM »
Sorry to hear of the trying times many are dealing with.

It truly does suck growing old. Some people say "it beats the alternaive" but often times I'm not so sure.
I turned 60 in April and pretty much every part of my body has one issue or another...none life threatening but nagging and omnipresent. You just grind through it.

Funny thing is, I lifted weights from 16 through 56 until I had a hernia surgery. All those years I thought I was keeping myself healthy but many of my joint and pain issues are directly related to lifting. Oh well...

Good luck to all!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2022, 07:25:21 AM »
Sorry to hear of the trying times many are dealing with.

It truly does suck growing old. Some people say "it beats the alternaive" but often times I'm not so sure.
I turned 60 in April and pretty much every part of my body has one issue or another...none life threatening but nagging and omnipresent. You just grind through it.

Funny thing is, I lifted weights from 16 through 56 until I had a hernia surgery. All those years I thought I was keeping myself healthy but many of my joint and pain issues are directly related to lifting. Oh well...

Good luck to all!

I can so relate to this—I had a nissen fundoplication (stomach surgery essentially) about five years ago. I was sooooo hesitant to have a semi-major surgery at the age of 37, but all three opinions I sought confirmed that it was a prudent, life-extending course of action. Also, because of my relatively young age and overall level of fitness, they all said recovery would be a breeze.

Well, if by 'breeze' they meant that I wouldn't eat solid foods for 6 weeks, I suppose it wasn't too bad. I was in the hospital two days, and I was back to jogging (slowly) after a week. At my first follow-up, I was given the green light to return to life as usual.

Everything was great until about 3 months later when, during a routine lifting session, I basically re-herniated my surgically-altered stomach. I was told to exercise as much as possible, but it turns out that my surgery and weight-lifting are a big no-no, something that all 3 doctors failed to mention.

The worst part? The only solution was another, more intensive surgery. I said I'd think about it. 5 years later, I'm still thinking about it, and I think the only thing that's going to put me back under the knife is an immediately life-threatening situation.

At the end of the day, I had a surgery to avoid having to take a daily round of nasty medication, and 5 years (and about $85k later), I'm still taking said medication.

I'm not anti-medicine by any stretch of the imagination, and I am far to pragmatic to wallow in regret. I sought advice, I took actions and the odds were in my favor, but nothing worked out the way it was 'supposed' to. That's just the way it goes, I suppose.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2022, 07:26:48 AM »
A quick note to everyone else who has posted (especially you, EPICVIEW), thank you to everyone who has shared—this thread has been incredibly cathartic.

To those who have lost loved ones, my heart goes out to you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »

: )    i noticed this weekend a good half hour of icing it and a few advils then a hot shower seemed to get me going ,,, I thought it was a pinched nerve.. and I still think it was but it went on for years before just going away after an odd move I made one day that lit it up but then it finally like magic went away   ,,,,,NOW it came back after doing a ton of heavy lifting type chores and up and down ladder , construction work yada,,,  Its been a few weeks and its not gotten much better, just sorta hoping again....   you feel better also my bro : )....I feel your pain : )  literally  lol

Yeah, it's no fun.  Sleep sucked last night due to the agony in my left hip and leg, but I went to PT after work today and he made me taller (traction), so we will see how the next few days go. Good luck to you as well!

And good thought, WilliamMunny.  It's not easy to reply to every bad news or whatever post these days, but I read them all.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2022, 08:55:46 AM »

I'm only three months or so in, and this is nothing like I imagined it to be.  I've lost people before - my grandmother, particularly - but I was 21, full of piss and vinegar, and up at college.   I missed her then - still miss her now - but it was what it was.  This is not that.  I'm working on a Jeep and I can't count the number of times I've picked up the phone to call... and he's not there.  I'm so far in denial on this it's ridiculous, but on the same token I can't help but bring him up in conversation constantly.  I cancelled the telephone service at the assisted living (mom doesn't use it and probably can't at this point) but it was something he wanted SO bad, and I felt guilty about cancelling it.  It's weird.  I have his cell phone - which took me like six months to get straight (he had to upgrade from 3G and I switched him onto my plan at that same time) - sitting on my desk.  I literally don't know what to do with it. He's had that phone number for like two decades; I can't just CANCEL it, can I?  :)  My therapists says it'll get better, but there's a ways to go yet (she says it nicer than that, but still).

Your therapist is right but honestly?  It gets better in some ways but it gets harder in others.  Thanks for sharing this.  And thanks to everyone for the kind words.  I'm just trying to give myself a lot of grace right now.  We are having a celebration on her birthday with a close group of friends and family so that will be hard but it will be good to be with other people who loved her too.

I can related to the cell phone dilemma but in a different way.  My brother-in-law lets my nephews use my sister's phone on occasion.  She's got a million photos on there - many of which I have pilfered for my computer and that I used in her memorial video montage.  Obvs my brother-in-law can't bring himself to cancel it.  But let me tell you about the time my nephew texted me from her phone and her name popped up on my phone..... :o :'(
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2022, 09:46:55 AM »

Your therapist is right but honestly?  It gets better in some ways but it gets harder in others.  Thanks for sharing this.  And thanks to everyone for the kind words.  I'm just trying to give myself a lot of grace right now.  We are having a celebration on her birthday with a close group of friends and family so that will be hard but it will be good to be with other people who loved her too.

I can related to the cell phone dilemma but in a different way.  My brother-in-law lets my nephews use my sister's phone on occasion.  She's got a million photos on there - many of which I have pilfered for my computer and that I used in her memorial video montage.  Obvs my brother-in-law can't bring himself to cancel it.  But let me tell you about the time my nephew texted me from her phone and her name popped up on my phone..... :o :'(

And yet another cell phone issue that cropped up yesterday; I was going through and clearing out some voice mails on my phone - I had about 150 unread - and... wait for it, Long Beach, wait for it...  about 100 or so were from my dad.  He would panic in the hospital and call me like 10 times in a row and I never listened to all of them before I called him back.  Some of the messages are great, and I might keep them - "Hey, just me, checking in" is his standard start to the message - but some of them are heartbreaking to listen to, especially when he first broke his leg and went into the hospital and was scared and alone. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2022, 09:54:39 AM »
 :(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2022, 06:08:40 AM »

And yet another cell phone issue that cropped up yesterday; I was going through and clearing out some voice mails on my phone - I had about 150 unread - and... wait for it, Long Beach, wait for it...  about 100 or so were from my dad.  He would panic in the hospital and call me like 10 times in a row and I never listened to all of them before I called him back.  Some of the messages are great, and I might keep them - "Hey, just me, checking in" is his standard start to the message - but some of them are heartbreaking to listen to, especially when he first broke his leg and went into the hospital and was scared and alone.

Yeah, the cell phone thing is tough. I have not had in me to delete the texting exchange with my mom who passed in February. The last text to and from her was the day before.  :( :(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
A quick note to everyone else who has posted (especially you, EPICVIEW), thank you to everyone who has shared—this thread has been incredibly cathartic.

To those who have lost loved ones, my heart goes out to you.

Thank you WM.. and to all who shared and to everyone I hope today is a better day  ..smile : )

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2023, 04:55:14 PM »
bumping this topic as it is kind of related. And how is WilliamMunny doing btw?

anyway, I just had another Colonoscopy today. Having had 2 previous Colonoscopies, I can say this:

👍👍
COLONOSCOPY in 2023 vs 2017 or 2013:

Prep w/ #Sutab > Prep w/ #Miralax

-Drinking 48oz of water twice with Pills vs 96oz+? of Gatorade + Miralax and later Magnesium Citrate.

-1 less day of a modified diet, etc. which actuallly includes eggs and (plain) biscuits.