Author Topic: Growing Old Sucks: (Dealing With a Serious Health Situation)  (Read 6465 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Growing Old Sucks: (Dealing With a Serious Health Situation)
« on: September 04, 2022, 10:36:43 AM »
So, I’ve debated posting this for a few days, but after coming home to find my wife in tears, I realized that I need to vent/talk to someone other than her.

First, the ‘vent’ portion:

Long story short, I have a chronic ailment that places me at an unusually high risk for a very nasty cancer. Because of this, I have yearly biopsies, the most recent of which was flagged for dysplasia. This triggers a second biopsy, more surveillance, and likely (once the grade is determined), some tough conversations regarding preventively cutting or burning out parts of me. All of this is in the name of preventing the onset of a cancer with a laughably-low survival rate (that is currently killing my uncle).

There was an insurance snafu earlier this year—they denied my most recent surveillance and we had to appeal—and for a brief moment I thought, “maybe the insurance is right; maybe we don’t need to worry about this.”

Well, I’m glad we fought the insurance company, but the big takeaway here is that my condition has progressed past the point of simply being a passing concern. From here on out, I’m going to have to deal with this in six-month cycles for the rest of my life.

I’m about to turn 42, and I consider myself incredibly lucky. I have no regrets. I don’t have a bucket list. I simply want to keep doing what I’m doing—I like my job, I love my family, and heaven to me is waking up tomorrow and having breakfast with my wife and kids.

If not for my soon-to-be-one-year-old-son, I’m not sure I’d be worrying all that much. That said, odds are I’m going to be dealing with an ongoing medical situation during my son’s formative years, and that thought is driving me crazy.

So all of this begs the question, anyone else dealt with or dealing with a serious personal health situation?

I’m not looking for platitudes or well-wishes—those of you who know me know that I’m as pragmatic as they come. The score is the score. I’m not dying, but I am aware of that which is probably going to kill me.

That said, I do find a strange sense of comfort in knowing that I’m far from alone. Whenever I’m dealing with something heavy, I like to bounce it off of others. In this case, however, I have no interest in needlessly stressing out my loved ones (hence my wife’s tears).

For that reason, I’d like to hear from anyone with a similar situation who’s comfortable with sharing in the hopes that this thread can be a place for us to discuss, vent, and educate.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's read this and/or responds.

James

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Growing Old Sucks: (Dealing With a Serious Health Situation)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
Oh man.... sorry to hear that. 42 is not old and it's totally unfair that you have to deal with this.
If you were 82 it would be more understandable.

I have not gone through anything like it. My health issues are very mild compared to this.

Hope your second biopsy gives you better results than you fear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 12:27:32 PM »
Damn, sorry to hear about this.  Good luck going forward for sure and never be afraid to reach out to me or the community here as a whole.

So all of this begs the question, anyone else dealt with or dealing with a serious personal health situation?

I don't have one serious health situation (at least not yet), but I have a handful of minor, nagging ones, which is almost worse as if feels like whack a mole on a day to day basis.  Getting older definitely blows.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 12:27:47 PM »
James…..up to this point in my life (I’m 46) I’ve not had any ‘major’ health issues. Just the usual aches and pains of being an active adult and father. But…just the other day in Friday I was having lunch with a lifelong buddy and we were speaking about that we are at that stage of life where a diagnosis or news like you’ve shared could just rear it’s head at anytime. I’m thankful for my health this far and just pray it continues.

Reading your story is tough because of the fact you are a young guy with young kids. I admire your no nonsense outlook on it all and really just pray that you receive the best possible diagnosis and treatment that’s specific to your situation, so that you can enjoy MANY great years and memories with your family.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
So, I’ve debated posting this for a few days, but after coming home to find my wife in tears, I realized that I need to vent/talk to someone other than her.

Long story short, I have a chronic ailment that places me at an unusually high risk for a very nasty cancer. Because of this, I have yearly biopsies, the most recent of which was flagged for dysplasia. This triggers a second biopsy, more surveillance, and likely (once the grade is determined), some tough conversations regarding preventively cutting or burning out parts of me. All of this is in the name of preventing the onset of a cancer with a laughably-low survival rate (that is currently killing my uncle).

There was an insurance snafu earlier this year—they denied my most recent surveillance and we had to appeal—and for a brief moment I thought, “maybe the insurance is right; maybe we don’t need to worry about this.”

Well, I’m glad we fought the insurance company, but the big takeaway here is that my condition has progressed past the point of simply being a passing concern. From here on out, I’m going to have to deal with this in six-month cycles for the rest of my life.

I’m about to turn 42, and I consider myself incredibly lucky. I have no regrets. I don’t have a bucket list. I simply want to keep doing what I’m doing—I like my job, I love my family, and heaven to me is waking up tomorrow and having breakfast with my wife and kids.

If not for my soon-to-be-one-year-old-son, I’m not sure I’d be worrying all that much. That said, odds are I’m going to be dealing with an ongoing medical situation during my son’s formative years, and that thought is driving me crazy.

I’m not looking for platitudes or well-wishes—those of you who know me know that I’m as pragmatic as they come. The score is the score. I’m not dying, but I am aware of that which is probably going to kill me.

That said, I do find a strange sense of comfort in knowing that I’m far from alone. Whenever I’m dealing with something heavy, I like to bounce it off of others. In this case, however, I have no interest in needlessly stressing out my loved ones (hence my wife’s tears).

For that reason, I’d like to hear from anyone with a similar situation who’s comfortable with sharing in the hopes that this thread can be a place for us to discuss, vent, and educate.

James

You and I have something in common. Something I don't think doctors fully get. Being required to go and get tested to see if you're fixing to drop dead every six months is stressful as all fuck. In neither of our cases will a doctor come in and say we're magically cured and don't have anything to worry about. For us both good news is the status quo. In my case the doctors want to see me every 3 months (both of my doctors), and eventually I shot them both down. Six months is my compromise, and that's alternating between the two.

That having been said, you do have one minor advantage. Not something to make the whole thing worth while, but certainly a benefit. Early detection helps you a great deal. Your maintenance checks do serve a beneficial purpose. In my case it's simply to tell me that the whole thing is starting over. Nothing good about that, and an argument could be made that I'd be better off not knowing for a while. While I'm happy to push back against my doctors, you should certainly be working with yours. At least they've got something to offer you along with bad news.

Qapla'
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 01:26:17 PM »

James

You and I have something in common. Something I don't think doctors fully get. Being required to go and get tested to see if you're fixing to drop dead every six months is stressful as all fuck. In neither of our cases will a doctor come in and say we're magically cured and don't have anything to worry about. For us both good news is the status quo. In my case the doctors want to see me every 3 months (both of my doctors), and eventually I shot them both down. Six months is my compromise, and that's alternating between the two.

That having been said, you do have one minor advantage. Not something to make the whole thing worth while, but certainly a benefit. Early detection helps you a great deal. Your maintenance checks do serve a beneficial purpose. In my case it's simply to tell me that the whole thing is starting over. Nothing good about that, and an argument could be made that I'd be better off not knowing for a while. While I'm happy to push back against my doctors, you should certainly be working with yours. At least they've got something to offer you along with bad news.

Qapla'

Your point about early detection is well said–it is absolutely a small, but significant advantage.

Also, your Klingon quote just made my day.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »
I do not, but given my job, I do worry that its something I will probably facing in a decade or two.

In any case, I don't have much else to contribute other than say that it sucks you have to go through this, and wish you all the best in managing/fighting it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »
James - I'm sorry for your health issues.  Dealing with the healthcare system is like adding gasoline to the pile of stress sticks currently on the burn heap.  One of my good friends and co-workers was diagnosed with a fairly aggressive form of breast cancer this past spring.  She found it herself about a month after a "normal" mammogram.  Now she is currently in the middle of chemo in preparation for a mastectomy in December.  She is your age.  The chemo has been horrible for her in more ways than just losing every hair on her body and throwing up all the time.  And yet, she's thankful that she found the lump and that she pushed her doctors to take her seriously after the "normal" mammogram.  Had she not done that, we'd be talking about a very different situation right now.

I think it is important to find an outlet to talk about what you are going through - maybe without your wife depending on what you both decide.  The stress is an important thing to manage in whatever way works for you, so if you are not one to enter into therapy, then at least finding a group of folks going through similar things can help with learning new ways to cope with the stress and to feel like you are less alone in your situation (which is why you are reaching out here, right?)  In my friend's case, she was put in touch with an organization that facilitates support for breast cancer patients.  Maybe such a thing exists in your area for whatever you are dealing with here?  Most physicians' offices have a social worker or nurse case manager than can help you with such referrals.

My only other form of advice is to be relentless in your self-advocacy.  I could write a book about the ways our healthcare system sucks so please don't assume that if you run into a roadblock that you are out of luck.  There are ways around roadblocks but many times patients must be persistent and insistent to get the help that they need.  YOU are the head of your healthcare team - not your doctor, not your insurance company, not your hospital.  Make sure that you remember this and that you have a team willing to put you in that position.  If you get a sense that a provider is just wanting to call all the shots without your input then find another provider.

I hope you will keep us updated on your progress. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline frogprog

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 09:55:07 AM »
James,
I can relate fully to the psychological issue of the repeated testing etc. Long story short, in 2017 I was suddenly thrust in the reality of having stage 3 cancer at the age of 50. Cruising along, living my life and bam! Here deal with this. Quickly,Like your life depends on it. I was lucky in the fact that I had my wife and daughter and a great team and our insurance was never a problem.
I'm very thankful to say that 5 years on I am a very lucky survivor but it could have easily gone the the other way.That's not to say that chemo and radiation didn't take a bit from me but I'm good to go now. :metal
Mentally, I'm dealing with it better now but going back to the hospital every two month for testing used to really send me in a downward spiral. i hated the place even though these were the wonderful people that saved my life.I would dread my appointments while trying to put on a brave face. What if it comes back? What if my recovery is only temporary? What's this I feel? Am I getting sick again?
Gradually, I have been able to let go of most of those thoughts and feelings but a small part of it is always lingering in the background. I have a whole day of yearly testing coming up in October that I'm not looking forward to but later that evening I will be jamming with my band mates so I will just focus on that.
If you ever need someone to listen or talk to, I'm here for you.
Steve

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 10:10:17 AM »
James - I'm sorry for your health issues.  Dealing with the healthcare system is like adding gasoline to the pile of stress sticks currently on the burn heap.  One of my good friends and co-workers was diagnosed with a fairly aggressive form of breast cancer this past spring.  She found it herself about a month after a "normal" mammogram.  Now she is currently in the middle of chemo in preparation for a mastectomy in December.  She is your age.  The chemo has been horrible for her in more ways than just losing every hair on her body and throwing up all the time.  And yet, she's thankful that she found the lump and that she pushed her doctors to take her seriously after the "normal" mammogram.  Had she not done that, we'd be talking about a very different situation right now.

I think it is important to find an outlet to talk about what you are going through - maybe without your wife depending on what you both decide.  The stress is an important thing to manage in whatever way works for you, so if you are not one to enter into therapy, then at least finding a group of folks going through similar things can help with learning new ways to cope with the stress and to feel like you are less alone in your situation (which is why you are reaching out here, right?)  In my friend's case, she was put in touch with an organization that facilitates support for breast cancer patients.  Maybe such a thing exists in your area for whatever you are dealing with here?  Most physicians' offices have a social worker or nurse case manager than can help you with such referrals.

My only other form of advice is to be relentless in your self-advocacy. I could write a book about the ways our healthcare system sucks so please don't assume that if you run into a roadblock that you are out of luck.  There are ways around roadblocks but many times patients must be persistent and insistent to get the help that they need.  YOU are the head of your healthcare team - not your doctor, not your insurance company, not your hospital.  Make sure that you remember this and that you have a team willing to put you in that position.  If you get a sense that a provider is just wanting to call all the shots without your input then find another provider.

If anyone takes anything away from this thread, I hope it's this–very well said.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 10:58:38 AM »
My mom has been a nurse her whole career and she passed that on to me and my sister on several occasions.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
When I had cancer 2 decades, I fought so much with not paying bills until the insurance took their deductibles.  Unreal how they try to strong arm you into paying right away.  Now I'm in the bariatric program.  I should be having my surgery in November. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »

My only other form of advice is to be relentless in your self-advocacy. I could write a book about the ways our healthcare system sucks so please don't assume that if you run into a roadblock that you are out of luck.  There are ways around roadblocks but many times patients must be persistent and insistent to get the help that they need.  YOU are the head of your healthcare team - not your doctor, not your insurance company, not your hospital.  Make sure that you remember this and that you have a team willing to put you in that position.  If you get a sense that a provider is just wanting to call all the shots without your input then find another provider.

If anyone takes anything away from this thread, I hope it's this–very well said.

Absolutely, especially for anyone in a healthcare system similar to mine. I belong to Kaiser, for those unfamiliar, it's a one stop shop basically, with tiered levels of plans. Thing with Kaiser, for it to be effective, you have to be an active participant in the program. The more active you are, the better the plan pays off. For someone like me with two significantly expensive, chronic conditions (diabetes and plaque psoriasis), it's much to my benefit to be active, to stay on top of my medical plans.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
James,
I can relate fully to the psychological issue of the repeated testing etc. Long story short, in 2017 I was suddenly thrust in the reality of having stage 3 cancer at the age of 50. Cruising along, living my life and bam! Here deal with this. Quickly,Like your life depends on it. I was lucky in the fact that I had my wife and daughter and a great team and our insurance was never a problem.
I'm very thankful to say that 5 years on I am a very lucky survivor but it could have easily gone the the other way.That's not to say that chemo and radiation didn't take a bit from me but I'm good to go now. :metal
Mentally, I'm dealing with it better now but going back to the hospital every two month for testing used to really send me in a downward spiral. i hated the place even though these were the wonderful people that saved my life.I would dread my appointments while trying to put on a brave face. What if it comes back? What if my recovery is only temporary? What's this I feel? Am I getting sick again?
Gradually, I have been able to let go of most of those thoughts and feelings but a small part of it is always lingering in the background. I have a whole day of yearly testing coming up in October that I'm not looking forward to but later that evening I will be jamming with my band mates so I will just focus on that.
If you ever need someone to listen or talk to, I'm here for you.
Steve

Jeez, that sounds like a lot, Steve. I think, for the most part, I've gotten to a similar point as you, where my situation is mostly just a lingering concern that rears its head when I get not-so-good news.

I think the fact that I have an uncle literally dying as we speak from the same thing is making the whole thing a bit hard to ignore. Appreciate you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »
WilliamMunny (I just found out your name was James!  Hi, I'm Bill!)

I have nothing that hasn't been said before, but the part I'll repeat is, you have people here - me included - that will listen when you need to vent, no problem.   Keep your spirits up and keep us in the loop. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »
The biggest issue I deal with is Type 2 diabetes, which could become pretty bad at some point, but isn't right now.

I feel for you, my man.  Feel free to reach out anytime you need to vent, or bitch, or just be heard in any way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »
@ Bill, Hef, and everyone else who responded, you all have made my week and elevated my spirits (far more than I would've thought).

Thank you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 03:18:29 PM »
The closest I come to your situation is I hold my breath for a week after every annual blood test awaiting the call from my doc. Any hint of a PSA level and it will mean lymphoma and all that comes with it. I had pretty spectacular prostate cancer about five years ago (I try to forget it) and opted for a prostatectomy...against the advice of my urologist.  They wanted me to go through radiation and chemo even though there was no sign of it spreading beyond my prostate. So, the discussion about being your own advocate I totally agree with. I was pretty miserable for about a month, but my quality of life has been much better than it would have been with non-surgical treatments.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 03:27:49 PM »
I hurt my left heal hiking on vacation.   By back was so stiff this morning that it had spasms and even though I drank 4 bottles of water at work, I still got a Charlie horse in my calf.

Stress test and echo cardiogram late in the month to make sure I can have the bariatric surgery.  (Stomach staple)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2022, 08:07:13 PM »
James,

Nothing but love to you and the family...

stay positive, and always fall forward,,,, one foot in front of the other,,, onward,,,

Lots of love always, peace and strength

EV
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 11:59:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about this James. All you can do is be careful and learn enough about your condition as you can, and seek out medical help when needed. Having a kid can obviously impact your decisions a bit more.

I am 46 myself, and a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes and got a Blood Clot in my leg.

I still have the blood clot unforunately, so I'm on a Blood Thinner more or less indefinitely at this point.

I've had to alter my lifestyle a bit, mostly my diet, very sugar and carb conscious. Taking medications everyday, insulin and having to test my blood sugar every day and an A1C twice a year.

But I've managed to live with it, even though it is odd to be taking so many meds, 7 pill-per-day, at my age.
(I also take medication for Kidney stones, which my diet is also altered a bit for; no Mushrooms, Tuna, Rhubarb and other things in moderation. Anything high in PURINE is potentially a problem).

Am I more at risk for something serious? Blood Sugar and being on a blood thinner, having an accident like hitting my head or something else, and yes, although part of it is just managing my condition well.

But I have just come to approach to live my life as best as I can, for as long as I can. I have other family members who lived with diseases including beating Cancer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »
I am 46 myself, and a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes and got a Blood Clot in my leg.

I've had to alter my lifestyle a bit, mostly my diet, very sugar and carb conscious. Taking medications everyday, insulin and having to test my blood sugar every day and an A1C twice a year.

You were diagnosed two years ago and you're on insulin already?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2022, 05:07:57 PM »

they had me on Insulin and Metformin right away. Why?

I know controlling Blood Sugar can become more difficult with age, but I've seen various approaches. I know some people who won't touch Metformin, and I know many who don't take Insulin, or they take "Meal-Time Insulin."

I guess whatever can work. My A1C's have been better when I take Insulin, so I don't really have a choice right now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »

I know controlling Blood Sugar can become more difficult with age, but I've seen various approaches. I know some people who won't touch Metformin, and I know many who don't take Insulin, or they take "Meal-Time Insulin."

I guess whatever can work. My A1C's have been better when I take Insulin, so I don't really have a choice right now.

I asked because I was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was 30. I'll be 54 in 2 weeks. The endocrinologist then wanted me to start insulin right away. My wife pleaded to at least start with medication and adjust my diet.
I wasn't fat or anything. But I wasn't eating right. I started on Metformin. Then added Glipizide. And then eventually I maxed out on both. I ended up putting off insulin for about 17 years. 2021 my pancreas pretty much decided to close up shop, so now I'm on Trulicity once a week as well. I take .75 which is the starter dose.

Diabetes is progressive, so if you (not you personally) have real diabetes, it never gets better. I'll be good, and then every 4 or 5 years, nothing I do will bring my sugars down. Then I have to add insulin or like last year, add the Trulicity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2022, 10:15:27 PM »

I asked because I was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was 30. I'll be 54 in 2 weeks. The endocrinologist then wanted me to start insulin right away. My wife pleaded to at least start with medication and adjust my diet.
I wasn't fat or anything. But I wasn't eating right. I started on Metformin. Then added Glipizide. And then eventually I maxed out on both. I ended up putting off insulin for about 17 years. 2021 my pancreas pretty much decided to close up shop, so now I'm on Trulicity once a week as well. I take .75 which is the starter dose.

Diabetes is progressive, so if you (not you personally) have real diabetes, it never gets better. I'll be good, and then every 4 or 5 years, nothing I do will bring my sugars down. Then I have to add insulin or like last year, add the Trulicity.

Initially, I know they had me on Insulin to just get my numbers and A1C down, which it took a couple of months, but it worked. My Doctor and Educator lowered my Insulin and reduced the amount of Metformin to 1 per day.

I know at 1 point I was hoping to get taken off Insulin, and actually I try to take it every night, but occasionally I'll not take it (forget or fall asleep per I remember to), and often my Blood Sugar the next morning is noticabely higher (although usually not alarmingly high).

I've asked my Nurse about this. getting off Insulin. Based on what you have said and gone through, I may want to make it more of a goal at some point. I don't know if I would if it meant taking more Metformin per day per, when I took more than 1 per day, I had digestive problems.

My nurse mentioned though to ask my doctor about Insulin that can be taken only once per week.
But having to keep adding medications every few years, I would like to avoid if possible. I dunno, I think there are some Diabetics who figure out a diet and exercise regimen that works for them that is sustainable. Some may also be able to keep relatively the same medication for many years without issues.

I mean I have had it in mind that managing Diabetes over time will not always be simple, but I know many others who have been able to without dramatic changes in what they eat or medication/medication doses.

I speak with my nurse every couple of months, I'll have to bring this up to her next time. I have heard good things about Trulicity, although also there are risks or some side effects that I know some doctors don't always recommend.

Glipizide? I think I've heard of, don't know all that well.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 01:19:23 PM »
I hurt my left heal hiking on vacation.   By back was so stiff this morning that it had spasms and even though I drank 4 bottles of water at work, I still got a Charlie horse in my calf.

Stress test and echo cardiogram late in the month to make sure I can have the bariatric surgery.  (Stomach staple)

About 5 years ago I had a Nissen Fundoplication, which is a procedure that essentially left me with a stomach about a quarter it's original size. The idea was to 'fix' my esophagus and stave off any progression. Well, despite my age making em a 'good candidate' for surgery, the procedure sucked balls and my recovery was anything but smooth.

With that in mind, I wish you well on your surgery—assuming it's for health reasons, I imagine it will make a huge difference.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 01:20:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about this James. All you can do is be careful and learn enough about your condition as you can, and seek out medical help when needed. Having a kid can obviously impact your decisions a bit more.

I still have the blood clot unforunately, so I'm on a Blood Thinner more or less indefinitely at this point.

But I've managed to live with it, even though it is odd to be taking so many meds, 7 pill-per-day, at my age.
(I also take medication for Kidney stones, which my diet is also altered a bit for; no Mushrooms, Tuna, Rhubarb and other things in moderation. Anything high in PURINE is potentially a problem).

Am I more at risk for something serious? Blood Sugar and being on a blood thinner, having an accident like hitting my head or something else, and yes, although part of it is just managing my condition well.

But I have just come to approach to live my life as best as I can, for as long as I can. I have other family members who lived with diseases including beating Cancer.

Thank you for sharing all of that—this is great advice and sincerely appreciated.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2022, 03:05:47 AM »
Sorry that you're dealing with that. I'll try to make this brief. When I was in high school my girlfriend and I had a son. When he was 18 months old he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. For the next 10 years he underwent serious courses of chemotherapy and had dozens of surgeries. He was placed on the possible cure list and he went about his life as best he could, the chemo and all the surgeries left him with some other health issues.

In early 2020,, just before the pandemic he started having headaches and it was discovered that he had a brain tumor. They operated and felt very good about the outcome. They did a course of radiation though and the tumor roared back with a vengeance. They then did genetic testing and discovered he had a mutation in his genes. The TP53 gene to be exact. It's called Li Fraumeni Syndrome, and it is an incredibly rare cancer causing gene.
His mother and I were both tested and I carry the gene.
Turns out radiation is the WORST treatment for cancers for this particular mutation. It's like throwing gas on a fire.

I have a daughter, and she was tested and also carries the gene. There is about a 90% chance she will develop breast cancer someday. But since neither myself or his sister have ever gotten cancer, the insurance companies will not cover testing. Since only my son had cancer, they can't guarantee that's what caused it. If we had, then we'd need to do thorough testing every six months. In fact, the gene variant we carry is so rare it's never been seen before. So they just don't know. Thankfully my youngest son does not carry the gene.

Just a moment ago, I said my son "had" cancer.
Sadly in November of 2020, my oldest son, Michael died at the age of 40 of cancer.
I haven't shared this with anyone here. Until now.

It has caused me to just be sort of drifting since then. I feel like the movie Castaway when Tom Hanks is desperately trying to reach for Wilson. I just can't seem to be able to grasp "normal". It's just out of reach. Although I can see it. Therapy has helped. Although I know it's not my fault I carry an enormous guilt, knowing my son inherited this defective gene from me. And I worry about my beautiful daughter.

The reason I shared that was only to tell you that you aren't alone. I  understand your concern. Hopefully if something ever shows up, your early intervention will be the miracle that you need. Good luck.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 03:19:01 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2022, 03:23:55 AM »
Goddamn Temp. I am so sorry to hear that. Fuck.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2022, 07:01:55 AM »
Temp, I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 09:08:51 AM »
Temp, I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking.

This.

I very much appreciate you sharing and yes, your story has just given me a healthy dose of perspective.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
So sorry to hear about that Temp. A parent should  not have to bury his child.

I haven't gone through that but I lost one of my sisters to a heart failure when I was 21. My parents were on vacation and I had to call them at their hotel. The hardest thing I have had to do in my life. Never stopped missing her all these 33 years.

Hope you and yours can get through this ok. Thank you for sharing.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the condolences. I  realize my comments on my journey may have derailed the thread. Quite a heavy topic to be sure. That wasn't my intent. I probably would have just kept it private really, but I can empathize with dealing with the insurance nonsense (reason #6,207  in my opinion, as to why we need universal health coverage here in the US, but I digress).

Again, the intent was to let the OP know that I can definitely relate to the issues with insurance. The irony for me is they won't cover whole body scans and tests when only 1 person in the sample size of our family (me and my children).had cancer. If I or anyone of my other children ever have cancer, then they would. But since there was only my son, despite the fact myself and my daughter also carry the cancer causing gene, they won't pay for diagnostics that would catch anything early enough to irradicate it when it's detected. They would rather only have to pay for the actual treatment of a possible advanced or incurable cancer once it's detected much later. It's ridiculous. I find myself hoping I get cancer which would then trigger my daughter getting annual whole body scans and regular monthly lab work.

Bur, yes...my son's passing has been a significant challenge  I haven't been inspired to work really since he died. I'm in a position now where I've been considering some dramatic changes in my life and considering a major move actually to Upstate NY. We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 12:48:15 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »
That's truly heartbreaking TV.....man......deepest sympathies 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
TV, that is just heartbreaking.  Thank you for feeling comfortable here with us to share your story.  Couldn't even begin to imagine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.