Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 37469 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#11 featured!!)
« Reply #420 on: September 26, 2022, 05:24:35 PM »
I consider IPTOE ONE song anyway. I never separate them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #421 on: September 26, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »

I like Illumination Theory well enough, but that middle section just kills it.

Amen. Seriously.
I edited most of the ambient section out, which feels a bit sacrilegious, but I prefer the song without it. I left the orchestral part in though, as I like that section.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: September 26, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »

Amen. Seriously.
I edited most of the ambient section out, which feels a bit sacrilegious, but I prefer the song without it. I left the orchestral part in though, as I like that section.

I don't understand. I thought there's only one section.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: September 26, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
I've grown to really like the middle section personally.

Amen. Seriously.

I think he just means the quiet section before the orchestra kicks in.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2022, 07:04:18 PM »
I love the entire ambient section of IT.  The orchestral section is just amazing.  I still remember seeing the band in Chicago and just standing there while it played, as I closed my eyes and let it just wash over me.  A great little concert moment for me.  :hat :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #425 on: September 26, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »
I love the entire ambient section of IT.  The orchestral section is just amazing.  I still remember seeing the band in Chicago and just standing there while it played, as I closed my eyes and let it just wash over me.  A great little concert moment for me.  :hat :hat

So like everyone else you were taking a piss?

I've never considered them to be separate sections. The song is chugging along fantastically, comes to a screeching halt for a few minutes, and then picks up again. Why is that section there??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: September 26, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »

I've never considered them to be separate sections. The song is chugging along fantastically, comes to a screeching halt for a few minutes, and then picks up again. Why is that section there??

Do you ask that about the middle section of the song A View from the Top of the World?  It is pretty much the same dynamic and structure.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »

Amen. Seriously.

It comprises a single movement, but I’d definitely say it’s comprised of two sections. There’s the ambience with the nature/animal like sounds and then the orchestra kick in which is the second section. I just kinda want it hear this edited version as I can’t imagine it any other way.

I know there’s a version out there that starts with the ambient and orchestral sections and then just stay balls out heavy fir it’s entire duration. Was only when I heard that that I realised that this song needed that movement where it is to maximise its effect!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: September 26, 2022, 07:21:53 PM »

Do you ask that about the middle section of the song A View from the Top of the World?  It is pretty much the same dynamic and structure.

Not at all because it actually goes along with the song, and not some out of nowhere for no reason unrelated section of nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:15 PM »

Not at all because it actually goes along with the song, and not some out of nowhere for no reason unrelated section of nothing.

The sections in IT do go with the song, though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: September 26, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »
Which song do they go with?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #432 on: September 26, 2022, 07:52:40 PM »
I have DT at 10. I listened to it first in my ride through all the albums this past month. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I dont care for TEI, or TLG, but wanted to give them a fair shake, and any others in DT's catalog I haven't cared for. (Not many) I enjoyed them. I like the 2 instrumentals, and the rest - not including IT -I like very much. The thing is, I just like other songs more. Now IT is a top 5 song for me. I like the ending better than most of the other epics. It's grand. I like the premise of the song, and it has one of my favorite JP riffs/solos. I have grown to appreciate the middle. I take it as a time to reflect on the question at hand. What is one willing to live, die or kill for. Its a big question. We get the answer, and the end which is correct and bittersweet...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2022, 08:11:33 PM »
I loved ADToE, so my hopes were high for their next release. When I gave it a listen, I didn't find anything bad or bothersome, but I didn't find anything memorable either. It was just sorta... there. As a follow up to ADToE, with was a let down. It didn't help the 20+ closer was a slog for me. I grew to like the album more over time, but it still sits in the double-digits.

7. Systematic Chaos
10. Dream Theater
11. The Astonishing
13. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
15. When Dream And Day Unite
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »
I loved ADToE, so my hopes were high for their next release. When I gave it a listen, I didn't find anything bad or bothersome, but I didn't find anything memorable either. It was just sorta... there. As a follow up to ADToE, with was a let down. It didn't help the 20+ closer was a slog for me. I grew to like the album more over time, but it still sits in the double-digits.

Yeah, I can get on board with pretty much all of this. IT wouldn't be a slog if it weren't for that mid section.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2022, 08:42:57 PM »

Although in studio I wish the orchestra entered sooner, all that section live was indeed really incredibly beautiful with the video screen (and also strangely, since the band wasn't playing live, just pre-recorded orchestra).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2022, 10:48:22 PM »
Systematic Chaos: I had this at #8. Really good Dream Theater album all-around. Forsaken and Prophets of War are in the middle/lower parts of my overall song rankings, but I think the rest of these songs are classics. Repentance is beautiful, as is The Ministry of Lost Souls. In the Presence of Enemies is one of the better epics in DT's catalogue, to me. I've never really had any problems with the lyrics on this album, and that applies to the albums coming up as well.

Rankings:
1. In the Presence of Enemies
2. The Ministry of Lost Souls
3. Repentance
4. The Dark Eternal Night
5. Constant Motion
6. Prophets of War
7. Forsaken

The Astonishing: I had this at #5, and the main reason is that it feels so uplifting to listen to. I get in very good spirits every time I listen to this album. Though even without that, I'd still rank it on the higher half of this list. So many great moments on this album, and there are only a few songs that I don't have at least somewhat high praise for. I think in some areas, they could've done a lot better, but that's a small complaint because of I love pretty much every other part of this album.

Top 5:
1. A New Beginning
2. The Path That Divides
3. A Savior in the Square
4. When Your Time Has Come
5. Hymn of a Thousand Voices

Black Clouds & Silver Linings: I had this at #2 on my list. It used to be my #1 favorite at a certain point, and for good reason. Nearly every song ranks highly on my overall rankings, and both The Best of Times and The Count of Tuscany are in my Top 5 Dream Theater songs. I love so many things about this album... and one of those things is the lyrics to The Count of Tuscany. I think they're really good, and I initially wouldn't have expected that to be the most common criticism of the song. My love for this album is quite strong; it's definitely in my Top 10 of all time.

Rankings:
1. The Best of Times
2. The Count of Tuscany
3. A Nightmare to Remember
4. The Shattered Fortress
5. A Rite of Passage
6. Wither

Dream Theater: I had this at #13 on my list. I think this is Dream Theater's most inconsistent album. There are three or four songs that I rarely come back to; they're not bad by any means, and I enjoy them in the moment, but they don't interest me enough to make me want to listen again. But the other half is really good. Illumination Theory is a Top 5 Dream Theater song for me, and songs like The Bigger Picture and The Enemy Inside are ones that I would rate quite highly. I would call this a great album just because of how enjoyable the good half of it is, but it is easily outclassed by mostly everything else the band has put out.

Rankings:
1. Illumination Theory
2. The Bigger Picture
3. The Enemy Inside
4. Enigma Machine
5. False Awakening Suite
6. Along for the Ride
7. Behind the Veil
8. The Looking Glass
9. Surrender to Reason

Album rankings so far:

2. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
5. The Astonishing
8. Systematic Chaos
13. Dream Theater
15. When Dream and Day Unite

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2022, 04:52:49 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#10 featured!!)
« Reply #438 on: September 27, 2022, 05:29:14 AM »
10. Falling into Infinity

Number 1 finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 6
Average finish: 9.8

Unlike many fans, I didn't consider this a disappointment at the time of its release.  I knew it wasn't as great as I&W or Awake (few album are), but it was still really good, and it had songs I considered some of their best, ones that have held up as such, for me anyway.  I gave it a couple fresh listens earlier this month and came away realizing it is probably their one album I would call a "rock" record, first and foremost.  The prog and metal elements are still there, but do not seem as prevalent.  A very unique record for the band.  I ranked it 7th.

My top 5 songs from the album:
1. Peruvian Skies
2. Trial of Tears
3. Lines in the Sand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Hollow Years

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #439 on: September 27, 2022, 05:36:39 AM »
My FII rank is 6.

The best sounding album and has DT classics such ToT, Hollow Years and Lines in the Sand. You Not Me and New Millenium are filler songs for me. The others are fun to listen.

Fan base seems to rank it low which I don't agree but FII was a step back after I&W and Awake. So I understand the reason.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#13 featured!!)
« Reply #440 on: September 27, 2022, 05:42:47 AM »
A good album with some really high highs but not up to par with their absolute best.

Trial of Tears is a huge favorite of mine...

14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
11. Dream Theater
9. Falling Into Infinity
1. The Astonishing

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: September 27, 2022, 05:47:53 AM »
Was at 9 for me.  It's solid.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #442 on: September 27, 2022, 05:53:45 AM »
Crap! This album is actually so good that I had it in 4th. Is it as strong as the albums either side of it? No. It wasn’t meant to be. This is a way more commercial sounding record for them, trying to appease the record companies. But it works! Do I wish certain elements had been left untouched from the demo version? Yeah. The You Or Me, Take Away My Pain and Lines in the Sand demos are by far the superior versions and there are songs that made the final album that I wish had been removed in favour of 4 of the 5 songs that were left out. But, as a whole, for what this album is and all of its many perceived flaws, I absolutely love it!

Falling Into Infinity
My rank: 4th of 15

Top 5:
Lines in the Sand
Just Let Me Breathe
Trial of Tears
New Millennium
Peruvian Skies

My current standing
4. Falling Into Infinity
9. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
11. Systematic Chaos
13. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Dream Theater
15. The Astonishing
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2022, 06:09:45 AM »
Number 8 for me. I really like this album a lot, all the way through.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but the same could be said for #11 through #1

15   When Dream and Day Unite
14   Dream Theater
13   Black Clouds and Silver Linings
12   The Astonishing
11   Systematic Chaos
10    ???
9    ???
8   Falling into Infinity
7    ???
6    ???
5    ???
4    ???
3    ???
2    ???
1    ???
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2022, 06:51:03 AM »
10.   Falling into Infinity (#9); grade (8.3/10)

Top 5 songs:   Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears, New Millennium, Peruvian Skies and Hell’s Kitchen

I think it’s a really interesting DT album, indeed very accessible to the general rock fan - in a good way, like Rush's Moving Pictures (I know, not comparing the masterpiece/classic status). Its highlights are amazing, but it does have some kind of generic songs like You Not Me, Burning My Soul and Take Away My Pain, although all of them are enjoyable. Unpopular opinion here: TAMP aside, I think Kevin’s suggestions in the arrangements were for better. Also, a lot of great B-sides to me, it should be a double album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline krands85

« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
I had it in 13th, though it could have been a spot or two higher. It gets dragged down a bit by having 3 of the worst DT songs on it. Chop them out and replace them with a couple of unreleased songs from that era and it may even have squeezed into my top 10. Great sounding record though, much better production than most of their output in the 25 years since.

14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. Falling Into Infinity
11. Dream Theater
10. The Astonishing
9. Systematic Chaos

Trial of Tears is my favourite here, beautiful song with everyone firing on all cylinders, I just love the atmosphere of the track. Lines in the Sand isn't far behind and I even like the guest vocals from Doug Pinnick (just looked him up and was shocked to see he's 72!). I know a lot of people don't care for them, but I always enjoyed them, it's nice to hear something a bit different with that contrast to James voice. One of JP's all time great solos here too.

Hell's Kitchen is one of their best instrumentals and again has a really cool atmosphere/vibe to it. The next group of songs are solid, but nothing too special - Peruvian Skies, New Millennium and Hollow Years - with the former being my favourite on the album and the Budokan version of the latter being one of the biggest improvements to a DT song. Then on to the ballads, which are never among my favourites, but I think they did a really nice job with Take Away my Pain and Anna Lee.

Then we reach the bottom of the barrel with You Not Me, Burning my Soul and Just Let me Breathe. Always found them to be among the weakest DT tracks and I very rarely listen to them.

So the rankings up until now have matched fairly well with my own, with the bottom 6 all being in my own bottom 7. It may take a while to fill that gap though - I have an inkling of which two albums may come next and it's not gonna be what I have 12th  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2022, 07:14:53 AM »
15. Black Clouds and Silver Lining
14. Dream Theater
12. Systematic Chaos
11. ??
10. Falling Into Infinity
9. ??
8. The Astonishing
7. ??
6. ??
5. ??
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Mladen

« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
15. Falling into infinity
12. Dream Theater
8. Black clouds & silver linings
7. Systematic Chaos
5. The Astonishing

I'd been wondering for years why the album doesn't work for me. Then I heard the demos. That's when I realized that the best songs were left off of the album. Too bad...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2022, 08:19:49 AM »
09. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
11. Falling Into Infinity
12. Systematic Chaos
13. Dream Theater
14. When Dream And Day Unite
15. The Astonishing

I had FII at 11th place, just outside my top ten. It's enjoyable overall, but it's faults almost balance out its greater moments. The production is pretty good but the writing is just too all over the place, and knowing what the album COULD have been kind of hurts what we did get, as I prefer the demo versions of some of the songs than the final ones, particularly "Take Away My Pain".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2022, 08:36:13 AM »

The “safe” Dream Theater album.  I don’t like some of Derek’s sound choices, plus he wasn’t Kevin Moore so I was already biased going in.

I do love Trial of Tears.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. ???
8. ???
9. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
10. The Astonishing
11. Systematic Chaos
12. When Dream and Day Unite
13. Dream Theater
14. ???
15. ???

I really like this album for the most part. Don't love You Not Me, but I really dig most of the rest. It was the first album (to me) that each band member started putting in their own unique voice more. You can tell the MP songs, the JM songs, the JP songs, etc. I think this was also one of the best JP sounding albums. His place in the mix is what I think fits them best, as opposed to modern DT which is hugely guitar dominating. I really like Derek's unique contributions as well. Yea, overall a great album!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2022, 08:46:22 AM »
15  When Dream and Day Unite
14  Dream Theater
13  The Astonishing
10  Black Clouds and Silver Linings
  9  Systematic Chaos
  8  Falling into Infinity

Oh, and I love Derek's sound on FII.  He definitely left his mark during his short tenure with the band.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline mariner

« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2022, 08:55:18 AM »
I hadn't been doing the reveals, but will add to the thread...

7.  Falling Into Infinity
9.  Black Clouds and Silver Linings
10. Systematic Chaos
13. Dream Theater
14. The Astonishing

Falling Into Infinity to me is about the ballads - I love both Peruvian Skies and Hollow Years.  I love the solo on Hollow Years, especially the live one on Budokan.  (That piezo sound!)  I love how they segued into Metallica and Pink Floyd live on the Octavarium tour in Peruvian Skies.  Lines in the Sand, New Millenium (the Chapman stick!) and Trail of Tears are other highlights for me.

Online nick_z

« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
Looks like I need to catch up on a couple...

Dream Theater - I ranked it at #7

Love this one, it's my favorite of the Mangini-era. From my reading of prior discussions on this forum I did get the sense this wasn't super highly-regarded within DT's discography, so I can't say I'm surprised the overall ranking is quite low. I think the songs are great. Maybe not the best sounding album, but the production doesn't seriously affect my enjoyment of the music here.

Enigma Machine is not particularly exciting, but other than that (and perhaps the instrumental intro) it's all good. The nods to Rush (The Looking Glass, the beginning of Surrender to Reason) are super-tasty, The Enemy Inside is a great "metal" DT song, and generally the songwriting is concise and top-notch. My favorite might be The Bigger Picture, but the quality is high throughout. Also agree with the overall comments on IT - it's a fun ride, with plenty of great riffs...the middle section I could probably do without but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment...and the ending is fine, although I'm not a huge fan of that "grand finale" type of approach...

Falling Into Infinity - I ranked it at #4

And, after WDADU, here is my other idiosyncratic pick, I guess...Although I'm pleasantly surprised by its overall ranking, I actually thought it'd be lower.

As Kev noted, yes, this was a drop-off from I&W and Awake. It was bound to happen. It is undeniably a flawed album and, knowing the story behind it, I suppose one can feel the pressure/forces pulling in different directions. Yet, for me, the highs here are so high that they more than compensate for some of the stumbles. It's a time in DT's history (again, for me) when you still weren't sure what to expect and what you were going to hear. So many great songwriting ideas in here, and goosebump-worthy moments (Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears!).

In the perennial discussion about the album vs. the demo versions, my view is for the most part I like the album versions better - the only exception being Take Away my Pain (I had heard it the first time in concert in its pre-release version, and it just sounded more "powerful" than what ended up on the record) and the brief instrumental section in You or Me (I like You Not Me better, actually, but I would have kept that part...). However, in terms of songs that were left off - some of them would've made the album better, imo. In particular, Raise the Knife is such a cool mix of the proggy DT and the new sound, and Speak to Me is beautiful - DT-meets-The Cure-meets-U2. Love The Way It Used to Be too. Would love to hear those with the album production.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #454 on: September 27, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »
This has always been last for me. I like about 1 and 1/2 songs. Take Away My Pain (demo or OIALT version) and half of Trial of Tears. That 1st place vote is absolutely shocking to me. Was it HOF?