Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 37260 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#02 featured!!)
« Reply #875 on: October 06, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
A complete game changer. Just the perfect blend of Rush, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queensryche, and Fates Warning. It took what QR, FW, and Crimson Glory really sort of molded here in the U.S., and took it up a notch from a technical perspective. Set the tone for so many bands to follow.

Agreed with all of that, but I think the key element that DT entered with full force, that was missing in those proto-prog metal bands, was the massive presence of the keyboards, with the same relevance and virtuosity as the guitars. Hence I consider DT as the truly fathers of prog metal.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
Images & Words..... wow!!! This album was what brought me into the folds.

Sat up late on a sunday night watching Headbanger's Ball on MTV when Wanessa Warwick presented Pull Me Under. Was totally floored and had to call my friend who I knew was also watching. We were both awestruck... he actually had When Dream & Day Unite but thought this was almost another band.

Got to see them in a small club in Stockholm about 6 months later. Never looked back since.

Still master piece as this is they have outdone themselves thrice since in my view.

But 4th place in DTs catalogue is very very high i total....

15. Distance Over Time
14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
11. Dream Theater
10.  A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. Falling Into Infinity
8.Train of Thought
7. A View From the Top Of the World
6. Octavarium
5. Awake
4. Images and Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
1. The Astonishing

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #877 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »
A complete game changer. Just the perfect blend of Rush, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queensryche, and Fates Warning. It took what QR, FW, and Crimson Glory really sort of molded here in the U.S., and took it up a notch from a technical perspective. Set the tone for so many bands to follow.

Agreed with all of that, but I think the key element that DT entered with full force, that was missing in those proto-prog metal bands, was the massive presence of the keyboards, with the same relevance and virtuosity as the guitars. Hence I consider DT as the truly fathers of prog metal.

For me, it was the vocals.   All the rock/metal I listened to had vocals that could be fairly characterized as "metal".   I'm not being facetious when I say that for me DT was Rush/Maiden with Steve Perry singing.  FOR ME, there was no one like James in the music I listened to. MAYBE Joe Lynn Turner, but JLT is nowhere near the singer that James is, as much as I love him.  I don't put James in the same bucket as guys like Bruce or even Rob Halford.  I don't consider James a "metal" singer in that vein. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #878 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:37 AM »
It was #5 for me, but that's not a negative and I love the entire album.  Learning to Live is probably my favorite song.  All of the other songs are incredible.  I just like my top 4 a little more - Scenes, Six Degrees, The Astonishing, and Awake.  But I wouldn't change Images and Words and I think it's awesome.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#03 featured!!)
« Reply #879 on: October 06, 2022, 10:00:37 AM »
15  When Dream and Day Unite
14  Dream Theater
13  The Astonishing
12  A View from the Top of the World
11  Distance over Time
10  Black Clouds and Silver Linings
  9  Systematic Chaos
  8  Falling into Infinity
  7  Octavarium
  6  Train of Thought
  5  A Dramatic Turn of Events
  4  Awake
  2  Images and Words
  1  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: October 06, 2022, 10:40:57 AM »
Images and Words is #1 in my book.

I thought your book was about Queensryche?   :P

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:00 AM »
1   Awake
2   Images and Words
3   Falling into Infinity
5   Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
6   A Dramatic Turn of Events
7   Train of Thought
8   Octavarium
9   Dream Theater
10   Systematic Chaos
11   Distance over Time
12   The Astonishing
13   A View from the Top of the World
14   When Dream and Day Unite
15   Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #882 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:20 AM »
I can't believe SFAM is number 1.

I mean SFAM is also masterpiece but even though I rank I&W at number 2 I thought most DT fans would rank it number 1 and tbh it deserves. I love both Awake and I&W equally. Admit that SFAM is their second peak point and let them gain many new listeners but come on now! Is it better than Awake and I&W?

OK, tastes differ.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #883 on: October 06, 2022, 10:51:46 AM »
02. Images and Words

Number 1 finishes: 18
Last place finishes: 0
Average finish: 3.4

My rankings:

2. Images and Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Awake
5. Octavarium
6. Train of Thought
7. Dream Theater
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. When Dream and Day Unite
10. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
11. Distance over Time
12. Falling Into Infinity
13. A View from the Top of the World
14. Systematic Chaos
15. The Astonishing

I&W was such a game changing album.  After having heard OF DT in a 1989 MTV snippet about "other bands you might like if you like Queensryche" (which led me immediately to Fates Warning), FINALLY hearing something from the band three years later was like the end of a quest.  By the summer of 1992, I was depressed by the state of the music scene.  Four of the five most recent Rush albums were (at the time) their bottom 4 albums (and the then most recent album still remains as Rush's album #19 of 19).  Iron Maiden had released three progressively disappointing albums and then Fear of the Dark, which seemed to be a slight improvement over its predecessor.  Empire was a drop off for Queensryche and, while it was still pretty good, the slick production didn't sit well.  Only Judas Priest and Fates Warning were on an upswing musically, but Rob Halford had just left the band.  And then I heard Pull Me Under on KNAC.

I was amazed by PMU.  Musicianship like no other - including the bass!  Keyboards on seemingly equal footing with the guitar.  And those vocals.  I bought the album immediately and learned that PMU wasn't even close to the best thing they had to offer.  Absolutely every song was amazing on its own.  Another Day?  This HAD TO BE destined to be a hit on the level of Silent Lucidity (oops!).  Take the Time...funky...jazzy...metal.  Surrounded...one of the best prog ballads I've ever heard.  Calling UAGM my least favorite song on the album is like talking about my least favorite player on the 2012 LA Kings.  And the two most epic of all epics...Metropolis and Wait for Sleep/Learning to Live.  HOLY CRAP!!!  In 30 years, I've heard those songs hundreds, if not thousands of times, and I still never tire of them.  If I recall correctly, I once described Metropolis to my now-wife as "the song I wish I had written."

And to think that they released something that I regard as "better" than this!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #884 on: October 06, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »
Too early to ask what’ll be next in these rankings, Kev? Not the DT ones, but like are we gonna do the Maiden and VH albums next?

If you're so inclined, you could participate in the Fates Warning countdown that will start next week (lists due this Saturday).   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #885 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:35 AM »
I can't believe SFAM is number 1.

I mean SFAM is also masterpiece but even though I rank I&W at number 2 I thought most DT fans would rank it number 1 and tbh it deserves. I love both Awake and I&W equally. Admit that SFAM is their second peak point and let them gain many new listeners but come on now! Is it better than Awake and I&W?

OK, tastes differ.

Doesn't surprise me that it is the best them.  :metal
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Realm

« Reply #886 on: October 06, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »
Images & Words - number 1 for me and I am genuinely shocked this isn't number 1 overall. Just a perfect album. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #887 on: October 06, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »
02. Images and Words

Number 1 finishes: 18
Average finish: 3.4

I had Images And Words at 1. My favorite album of all time.

15. Falling Into Infinity
14. Dream Theater
13. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
12. Distance Over Time
11. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
9. Octavarium
8. Train Of Thought
7. The Astonishing
6. A View From The Top Of The World
5. When Dream and Day Unite
4. Awake
3. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
1. Images And Words
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: October 06, 2022, 05:31:08 PM »
Too early to ask what’ll be next in these rankings, Kev? Not the DT ones, but like are we gonna do the Maiden and VH albums next?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57791.0

After that, I have a few ideas for what will be next.  :hat :hat

Kev, you've been perfect on all these rankings so far, but you've clearly made a mistake.  I like how you released Number ONE first since by doing Number Two, we'd automatically know what's the number one.  :) :) :):)

I'm in denial, that's all.  This is a game-changing, seminal record for me.  It's not my favorite record of all time - that's still Going For The One - and it's not even my favorite Portnoy record - that's Innocence and Danger - but it is my favorite Dream Theater record. SFMA is very, very close, but it's still sort of viewed and valued in comparison to I&W, which is the flagship, the blueprint, the operating agreement. This changed the game for me.  Everything I thought about music sort of changed with this.  I knew bands with high levels of skill and precision - I had already gotten into prog at this time - but most of what I was listening to was of a theme, was pretty well aligned and sort of not that far afield.   I hadn't really appreciated bands like Journey yet.  I hadn't really gotten to understand bands like Metallica. 

So everything was in terms of "Zeppelin" and "Beatles" and was based on that British rock hierarchy of Beck/Page/Blackmore.  Even the prog stuff had those kind of roots (Genesis:  basically came from the Beatles; Yes: basically came from the Hendrix/Page school of rock; Crimson was it's own animal, but I hadn't really gotten full on into them at that point).  This album change that; this was Rush meets Maiden with Steve Perry singing, and it was a revelation. 

First off, your participation is definitely needed in the Neal Morse album ranking, since the album you mentioned above could use a little help. ;)

Second, I get what you mean about James.  I have mentioned before, but his voice and Kevin Moore's keyboards were what grabbed me when I first heard Pull Me Under.  Even the music was heavier than what I was used to or liked, JLB's voice was so amazing that it hooked me right away. That is why I disregard all the "I'd like Dream Theater if they had a different singer" blather, because I for one know I likely wouldn't have become a fan in 1992-1993 without his voice.  And really, their brand of hyperactive prog metal is not really something I normally like, but James' voice just made it special.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #889 on: October 06, 2022, 06:01:29 PM »
Images and Words - I ranked it #1

Noooooooooooooooooooooo (screaming fading in the void)  :biggrin:

Well, a quick look at the missing spot in my ranking below makes it obvious this is a pretty hard disagree for me. I mean, I love SFAM, but I don't consider it a stone-cold DT classic, at least not the same way as the majority here. That's a conversation for tomorrow, though.

What else is there to say about I&W that hasn't been said before? It is my overall #1 album. When I first heard it, in the Fall of 1992, it's fair to say my musical "journey" was changed for good. As far as I'm concerned, it's as close as it gets to a flawless album.

15   Black Clouds and Silver Linings
14   Systematic Chaos
13   The Astonishing
12   A Dramatic Turn of Events
11   Distance Over Time
10   A View from the Top of the World
9   Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
8   Octavarium
7   Dream Theater
5   Train of Thought
4   Falling into Infinity
3   When Dream and Day Unite
2   Awake
1   Images and Words

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #890 on: October 06, 2022, 06:09:33 PM »
It's not that I&W finished one spot behind what it did that's mind boggling. It's the fact that it only finished ONE SPOT AHEAD of what it did that blows my mind.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #891 on: October 06, 2022, 06:54:57 PM »
When will we know what number 1 is??!?!

I'm at the edge of my seat!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #892 on: October 06, 2022, 06:58:00 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #893 on: October 06, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »
Just remember, the reveal of the number 1 album is not the end, but only a transition.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #894 on: October 06, 2022, 07:55:51 PM »
We'll finally be free of this countdown.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #895 on: October 06, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »
Yes, but you have to endure another reveal, just one last time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
Strange. It's like having Deja Vu.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2022, 08:00:46 PM »
It'll be like coming Home.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2022, 10:51:11 PM »
And we will be finally free from this countdown.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #899 on: October 07, 2022, 12:26:02 AM »
Even though this countdown might be coming to an end, it’s spirit will carry on.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #900 on: October 07, 2022, 12:48:51 AM »
#02 - Images and Words (My Ranking: #07)

Although Pull Me Under was the first song I heard by the band, this album was not my first I heard.

One day, me and my cousin were hanging out as his house listening to the radio. The opening notes to Pull Me Under came on and my cousin said to me, "You hear these guys?" I replied, "NO", he then turned it up and said, "They're pretty good, you might like them." What hooked me into the song was the guitar solo and the part leading up to it. The keyboards, bass, and the drums created this calming atmosphere. I also remember enjoying the way it ends suddenly.

The rest of the songs I first heard from Live In Tokyo and LSFNY. Learning to Live used to be my favorite, but I soon listened to Surrounded more and fell in love with that one.

What I enjoy most from the album are the keyboards, the bass, and the vocals. It ranks where it's at only because I just enjoy the others a bit more. It took me a while to really get into Take The Time and Under A Glass Moon. Both of those songs are great live, and it was fun chanting "Take The Time". The anniversary shows they did were awesome and a nice way to celebrate it, I am so glad I went because it is a great album and these songs all deserved to have been played, even if it ends up being the last time for some of them.

Favorite: Surrounded
Least: Under A Glass Moon

Ranking:
15. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Falling Into Infinity
13. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
12. A Dramatic Turn of Events
11. Dream Theater
10. Train of Thought
9. Systematic Chaos
8. Distance Over Time
7. Images and Words
6. Awake
5. A View From The Top Of The World
3. Octavarium
2. The Astonishing
1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Modify message
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#01 featured!!)
« Reply #901 on: October 07, 2022, 05:42:11 AM »
01. Scenes from a Memory

Number 1 finishes: 14
Average finish: 2.7
*finished top 5 in 59 of the 65 lists

Even though this was only my number 2 album, its greatness is undeniable. 1998-2000 was probably the height of my fandom for the band in the sense that it was difficult for other bands to push them out of my CD player and get a lot of playing time, as we got in that span, the 5 Years in a Livetime VHS, the two LTE records (which just felt like Dream Theater doing instrumental albums even if not DT in name), Scenes from a Memory, and then the Metropolis 2000 tour (I saw two shows of this in the spring of 2000).  Rush has been my favorite band since late '91/early '92, with no one ever overtaking them for even a day, but Dream Theater came dangerously close after the release of Scenes, which was instantly awesome.  Like most great concept albums, it flows really well (mostly; I still feel that The Dance of Eternity feels a bit out of place), and everything is top notch, from the melodies to the storyline to JLB's vocals to the playing.  Amazing record.

My top 5 songs from the album:
1. Home
2. Fatal Tragedy
3. The Spirit Carries On
4. Finally Free
5. Overture 1928

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)
« Reply #902 on: October 07, 2022, 05:56:25 AM »
Number 4 for me.  Indeed a near perfect album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #903 on: October 07, 2022, 06:04:35 AM »
I don’t think the songs are the best on this album. I don’t think the production is necessarily the best on this album either. But the concept, the performance and the way it all flows pushed this one to the top of my list.

Scenes From A Memory
My rank: 1st of 15

Top 5
Home
Beyond This Life
The Dance of Eternity
Overture 1928
Finally Free

My current standing (because this is so gonna change again and we all know it!)
1. Scenes From a Memory
2. Awake
3. Images and Words
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Octavarium
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. Distance Over Time
9. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
10. A View From the Top of the World
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Train of Thought
13. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Dream Theater
15. The Astonishing
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online evilasiojr

« Reply #904 on: October 07, 2022, 06:08:28 AM »
I placed it at #1. But it's funny, it changes for me from time to time. My top 3 is Scenes, Six Degrees and ToT and they are practically interchangeable.

But overall, this is as close to a perfect album as they ever got or will get imo.

Offline krands85

« Reply #905 on: October 07, 2022, 06:28:27 AM »
The album cover isn't showing for me - if I open the link to it separately, Firefox gives me a security warning for some reason.

Anyway, it's my number 4, but is still a prog-metal masterpiece. A similarly important album in their career to I&W, following the issues with the previous album and having a new member again, but it couldn't have worked out much better. Speaking of which, I love the sounds Jordan uses on this album.

It's definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. I wouldn't have any of the songs as among my all-time favourites, but as a whole package, it's just fabulous and it doesn't have any weak songs either. Had just a couple of the tracks been in say, my top 20, then it'd probably be my number 2 album.

15. When Dream and Day Unite
14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. Falling Into Infinity
12. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
11. Dream Theater
10. The Astonishing
9. Systematic Chaos
8. A View from the Top of the World
7. Distance Over Time
6. Awake
5. Octavarium
4. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
3. A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Train of Thought
1. Images and Words

I've never been totally sure what my favourite track on the album is, I'd probably say Fatal Tragedy these days, though for a while it was Beyond This Life (The Budokan version is especially awesome). Home and Finally Free are next, a little ahead of the rest of the pack.

The album's so consistent though, there isn't much to separate the rest. Strange Deja Vu is great, the instrumentals are great and so are the mellower tracks. Just a wonderfully crafted album from start to finish.

Thanks to Kev for organising this and to everyone for sending in their lists and posting their thoughts  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: October 07, 2022, 06:35:16 AM »
I still remember the first time I heard this album. I knew TSCO and Through Her Eyes, but nothing else from the album. I was sitting on the couch playing some Call of Duty, the moment I heard "Close your eyes and begin to relax" I was intrigued. It was an experience, and when Finally Free played, my jaw dropped. The change in mood from TSCO made this the perfect closer for a perfect album. I played the album again right after. It's been my favorite album since.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 07, 2022, 06:48:22 AM »
I placed it at #1. But it's funny, it changes for me from time to time. My top 3 is Scenes, Six Degrees and ToT and they are practically interchangeable.

But overall, this is as close to a perfect album as they ever got or will get imo.

They're my top three, too, and I also think they're interchangeable. Just excellent albums. I think on this occasion the order I went with was Six Degrees, Train of Thought and Scenes.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #908 on: October 07, 2022, 06:53:30 AM »
1.   Scenes from a Memory (#1); grade (11/10)

Top 3 songs: Beyond This Life, Home and Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy

At the time, after the 2 amazing LTE albums, I was so excited with Jordan joining the band and the result was beyond expectations. It’s like DT had taken all the best things from their previous albums and more than perfected them in Scenes, with the LTE extra sauce, awesome!!

Thanks again, Kev, for the great job!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline NoFred

« Reply #909 on: October 07, 2022, 06:54:24 AM »
Front side of SFAM is my favorite run of music anywhere. I’d take back side of I&W next. These guys wrote some unbelievable stuff :hefdaddy