Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 36566 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#05 featured!!)
« Reply #735 on: October 03, 2022, 05:07:18 PM »

It’s a great album, no doubt. At the time, it was so cool to see DT returning for its more keyboard oriented style. Indeed, the awful drum mix and recording are the biggest problems of the album, but the resemblance with I&W is something that tarnish a bit this album for me. I know it was expressly denied by JP (of course), but I'm convinced that DT did so on purpose and I totally understand the reasons behind it - mainly, to make sure (as possible) the album would be a success after MP leaving. And it was and still is!
Let's hope for an anniversary edition with a great remix and re-recorded drums sometime in the future!

I am not going to touch the "it is I&W Part 2" silliness, because it is just that. 

I would love a remix that brings up the drums a bit and drowns out the mud. :lol  In all seriousness, though, a cleaner mix would likely make this a top 5 DT album for me.  The songs are there.  They just need more room to breathe, especially when the songs rock. The mellower songs/moments were mixed a bit better.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #736 on: October 03, 2022, 05:18:28 PM »
For the record, I would never ever want to bang with my mother.

I hear ye.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #737 on: October 03, 2022, 05:32:52 PM »
#05 - A Dramatic Turn of Events (My Ranking: #12)

When Mangini was announced as the new DT drummer, I was anticipating the first song we'd get to hear with him. On The Backs of Angels is one of Dream Theaters better singles and is very deserving of that Grammy nomination. I'm one that can understand the similarities to I&W in the structure of the songs, and I do not perceive it as something that hinders my enjoyment of the album, I actually prefer if the band utilizes past works as influences for new songs. In the case of OTBOA, I really enjoy the structure it has and how it's performed.

Mangini's contributions here, while not really having any contributions to the compositions, does show his skills and what he can offer to the overall Dream Theater sound. The problem for this album, and a major reason for it being ranked low, is the mixing and production. The cymbals are a bit too low, as well as some of JR's keys. JR's keyboards really shine when these songs are played live, along with Mangini's cymbals, and that has made me enjoy OTBOA more because it does sound better on the live releases, particularly Breaking The Fourth Wall.

There are also some songs I'm not into much and those are BMU,BMD and LNF. I just can't get into them, but they're not bad songs either. LNF has a great piano intro, but I think it's the flow, and groove of the song. But, It's one I will still listen to if it comes on, because the band is grooving and JLB has great vocals as well.

ADTOE is a great follow-up to BC&SL, and If true, I do enjoy the similarities to I&W, even if they are only in song structure.

Favorite: This is The Life
Least: Build Me Up, Break Me Down

Ranking:
15. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Falling Into Infinity
13. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
12. A Dramatic Turn of Events
11. Dream Theater
10. Train of Thought
9. Systematic Chaos
8. Distance Over Time
5. A View From The Top Of The World
3. Octavarium
2. The Astonishing
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:19:42 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events - I ranked it #12

My ranking of this feels a tad low, but it is what it is. It was a statement the band needed to make, I think. After the big shock of MP leaving, there was clearly a mix of excitement and trepidation to check out what the rest of the gang would come up with - and of course, what MM would bring to the table. I remember the teasers of the songs on Youtube sounded super-promising. I surely enjoyed the album when it came out. The sound never bothered me too much but yes, the songs would have benefitted from is a "fuller", more powerful sound.

Regardless of the extent one thinks the material on ADTOE is a "retread" of the I&W glory days, I think it's fair to say the band made a conscious decision to go back to a more "classic" (for them) approach, after SC and BC&SL. At the risk of spoiling my ranking, I can say that decision, as a general matter, sounded fantastic to me  ;) How did the album turn out? Like I said, I enjoyed it back then and still do, but it never quite made its way to the set of truly great DT records. It is home to my absolute favorite MM-era tune, and top-20 DT tune overall (Breaking All Illusions), and there's plenty of really good songs (I'm in the camp that likes This Is the Life, btw), but overall it doesn't feel as essential. Still - very thankful we got it!

15. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
14. Systematic Chaos
13. The Astonishing
11.  Distance Over Time
10.  A View From The Top Of The World
8.  Octavarium
7.  Dream Theater
5. Train of Thought
4. Falling Into Infinity
3. When Dream and Day Unite   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »
05. A Dramatic Turn of Events

Number 1 finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 0
Average finish: 7.1

I had A Dramatic Turn Of Events at #3!

I think this is phenomenal album and captures everything about DT that I like. The only skippable song is BMUBMD, and everything after that is perfect.

Breaking All Illusions, Lost Not Forgottn, Outcry...all great tunes!

15. Falling Into Infinity
14. Dream Theater
12. Distance Over Time
11. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
9. Octavarium
8. Train Of Thought
7. The Astonishing
6. A View From The Top Of The World
5. When Dream and Day Unite
3.  A Dramatic Turn Of Events
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2022, 08:05:02 PM »
Correct Tim. I also had this at #3. Two of their best ballads ever in TITL and BTS and several killer epics. Such a bummer about the production.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2022, 08:16:16 PM »
I also had ADToE at number 3. I absolutely love this album, and it was number 2 forever, but recently have been enjoying my new #2 more. It may be because  in the 6 years of following DT, I played it So Much. Of course I did that with my number 1, but nothing is gonna touch that.
There are no skips for me. Maybe the ballads, if I just need to rock, or don't want to cry.
My list is so not like  many others, but thats ok. All DT is fab, and I still feel like I am in the honeymoon phase.

15. When Dream and Day Unite
14  Train of Thought
11 Octavarium
10  Dream Theater
9    Distance Over Tim
8    A View
6    Sytsematic Chaos
5    The Astonishing
4    FII
3   ADToE
2    BCSL

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: October 03, 2022, 08:18:45 PM »
There is way too much Marillion talk in this thread.

I was cautiously optimistic when MP left and the band made it clear they were moving forward. I remember where I was when I first listened to OtBoA with trepidation. After a minute, I felt pretty good; once James came on in the first verse, I felt all would be well in the DT world.

This album was solid start to finish, and I still feel the same way. Only This is the Life falls a bit flat for me, and I don't know why. It has all the hallmarks of a DT softer song I should enjoy.

A solid #3. Yet there is still a bit of a chasm between #1 and #2 and the rest.

3   A Dramatic Turn of Events
5   Train of Thought
6   A View from the Top of the World
7   Systematic Chaos
8   Octavarium
10   Dream Theater
11   The Astonishing
12   Distance over Time
13   Black Clouds and Silver Linings
14   Falling into Infinity
15   When Dream and Day Unite
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: October 03, 2022, 08:20:24 PM »
Bam! Four 3's in a row!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: October 03, 2022, 08:59:41 PM »
Ha! Cool, I didn't even catch that when I posted.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: October 04, 2022, 04:49:27 AM »
I had this album at number 14.  I've tried many times but I find it, boring, lifeless and the songs to me aren't memorable at all.  I'd take the new one over this.  Outcry is probably the most interesting song here.  The opener is terrible and it's backed up by a steaming turd.

LNF doesn't do much but the solo is cool.  TITL I remember replaying over and over when the album came out.  It got so much praise but I was confused as fuck.  Snoozefest.  BITS feels to similar to LNF and the shaman thing is so stupid.

FFH is beautiful.  It's wasted on this album.  BAI is okay but aside from the chorus, it don't do much.  I love the reprise of the melody from FFH though.  I just never got this album.

Bam! Four 3's in a row!!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#04 featured!!)
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2022, 05:12:01 AM »
04. Awake

Number 1 finishes: 8
Last place finishes: 0
Average finish: 4.5

I was a bit saddened to see this finish in 4th, as I was hoping for the top 3, but the voters have spoken. I could easily make a strong case for this being my favorite album ever.  It is certainly top 5, and is in the conversation for number 1.  Just an amazingly great album from start to finish, it sounds phenomenal, and there is a youthful ambition there that feels like timeless within the context of their history.  Plus, the atmosphere is just incredible.  And, as a bonus, it has one of my favorite album covers as well!

My top 5 songs from the album:
1. Voices (my number 1 DT song)
2. Scarred (my number 2 DT song)
3. Space Dye Vest (a top 10 DT song)
4. Erotomania (a top 10 DT song)
5. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (a top 15 DT song)

This album is so awesome that killer songs like The Mirror and 6:00 cannot even break my top 5.  Just  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy on all levels.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2022, 05:27:44 AM »
My number 2.  A travesty this isn't in the top 3.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2022, 05:46:24 AM »
Awake is the worst aging album for me. Unlike WDADU which sounded dated from the start Awake has grown worse with every passing year. It's a really shaking and inconsistent album that is bookended by two pretty overhyped tracks. The strength of the this album and the only reason it keeps from going further down my ranking is the Mind Beside Itself suite + Lifting Shadows and Scarred.

1. Systematic Chaos
2. Distance Over Time
4. Train of Thought
7. A View From The Top Of The World
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Awake
10. Black Clouds And Silver Linings
11. Oceanarium
12. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
13. Dream Theater
14. When Dream And Day Unite
15. The Astonishing

Offline Animal

« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2022, 06:07:58 AM »
After yesterday's assurance that this community can recognize greatness when they see it, I am back to thinking "what's wrong with people's tastes? Awake finishing only 4th, even behind 6Degrees, just feels wrong on visceral level- although when I put myself into my more  rational and measured box, I can only say that the community tastes differ from mine.

Needles to say this was my number one - and the only ranking I didn't pause for a second to reconsider. Like Kev, it is also easily one of my top 10 albums ever. I actually never tried to compile my top 10, I just know that Awake would be one of the 3 records whose place would be guaranteed.
   It is dark, heavy and long - sometimes almost too much to devour in just one sitting. Unlike SFAM, which I almost always listen to in its entirety, I indulge myself with the full Awake experience only occasionally. It's just like a lavish feast I am not always hungry enough for so I get only few courses.

Best songs: Voices, Scarred, The Mirror, 6:00 (perfect opener), Space Dye Vest (perfect finisher).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #750 on: October 04, 2022, 06:14:03 AM »
Awake is magnificent.  All of the technical instrumental brilliance of Images & Words, with a darker overall tone, an amazing uptick in quality of lyrics, and a better sounding mix. 

At # 4, it is WAY too low on this list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: October 04, 2022, 06:20:52 AM »
15. Black Clouds and Silver Lining
14. Dream Theater
13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
11. Train of Thought
10. Falling Into Infinity
9. A View From the Top of the World
8. The Astonishing
7. Octavarium
6. Distance Over Time
5. A Dramatic Turn of Events
4. Awake
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

On a good day, this album would crack my top 3,  maybe even make it to #2, but it just shows the strength of the other albums. Some individual songs drag this album down to #4 for me. From the top 100 list, only 1 piece from this album cracked my top 20.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: October 04, 2022, 06:25:03 AM »
Featuring the worst song in DT history, this album could never be number one, but it's damned close.  :tup :tup

15   When Dream and Day Unite
14   Dream Theater
13   Black Clouds and Silver Linings
12   The Astonishing
11   Systematic Chaos
10   A View from the Top of the World
9   Distance Over Time
8   Falling Into Infinity
7    ???
6    A Dramatic Turn of Events
5    Train of Thought
4    Octavarium
3    Awake
2    ???
1    ???
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline nick_z

« Reply #753 on: October 04, 2022, 06:28:18 AM »
Awake - I ranked it #2

Wow. This did actually shock me a bit  :) In my mind the aggregate top 3 was pretty set in stone, with just a question about the order. I did NOT expect Awake not to be part of it.

Oh well. This was my first new DT album I waited as a fan. I remember I was so excited when I came home with the CD, after school, I was almost afraid to put it on, given the high expectations. And then BAM, it starts with a drum fill. Pretty awesome. Needless to say, the first couple of songs sounded very different the DT I knew. But there was so much going on, it was all very exciting. By the end, I can't say I was as awe-struck as when I first listened to I&W, but the ending with Space Dye Vest was simply magnificent. And I could not wait to put the album back on. And on again.

The very definition of grower, as far as I'm concerned. Fantastic stuff. The only song I don't particularly love is Lie, although it works where it is. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream is one of my favorite DT ballads...such amazing textures from JP's guitar. Voices and Space Dye Vest battle it out for favorite song on the record. Yep, I'm definitely in the SDV camp - same as Kev, it's a top 10 DT track for me. 

15. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
14. Systematic Chaos
13. The Astonishing
11.  Distance Over Time
10.  A View From The Top Of The World
8.  Octavarium
7.  Dream Theater
5. Train of Thought
4. Falling Into Infinity
3. When Dream and Day Unite   
2. Awake 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #754 on: October 04, 2022, 06:30:43 AM »

I really struggled whether or not to put this #1, the old head vs. heart argument, but alas my heart won out.

Scarred is an all-timer for me and regardless of how some may feel about it I think SDV is brilliant. So many good songs here.

15. Astonishing
14. Systematic Chaos
13. View From the Top of the World
12. Falling Into Infinity
11. Train of Thought
10. Distance Over Time
9. When Dream and Day Unite
8. Dramatic Turn of Events
7. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
6. Dream Theater
5. Octavarium
2.Awake
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: October 04, 2022, 06:35:31 AM »
Sorry to bring this down a notch.... but the 5 at the top are true masterpieces for me and quite a bit ahead of the rest.

Awake..... the first DT album I got on release day. What a ride.... what atmosphere..... but still the one that came before and a few that came after inch in ahead of this to put it at nr 5.

15. Distance Over Time
14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
11. Dream Theater
10.  A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. Falling Into Infinity
8.Train of Thought
7. A View From the Top Of the World
6. Octavarium
5. Awake
1. The Astonishing

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #756 on: October 04, 2022, 06:39:59 AM »
Oh, that’s bullshit! How’s this not in the top 3?
This album is one song shy of perfect (I really wish they had ended the album one song earlier). I struggled with wether or nit to put this at number one and honestly, I kinda wish I did.
Production is great, songwriting is brilliant, the use of the seven string is so cathartic and dare I say perfect? Everyone plays their asses off, this is probably James’ vocal peak imo, Kev’s tones are brilliant, Myung absolutely shreds it, Portnoy’s kit sounds so alive and organic and don’t even get me started on JP!
Man, how the actual hell is this out of the top 3?

Awake
My rank: 2nd of 15

Top 5
Scarred
Lie
Voices
6:00
Innocence Faded

My current standing
2. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Octavarium
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. Distance Over Time
9. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
10. A View From the Top of the World
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Train of Thought
13. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Dream Theater
15. The Astonishing
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #757 on: October 04, 2022, 06:41:54 AM »
Featuring the worst song in DT history...

Please say you don't mean Space-Dye Vest.

Awake is my #1 album of all. Maybe even my #1 album of all times. I love every bit, from the get-go till Moore's strange but perfect depressed love-song. A Mind by Itself is somehow dark and vunerable at the same time and the combination of The Mirror and Lie even tops it all before.

I look at The Mirror as being the fundament of the Twelve Step Suite and it is so bright, even though it's dark and desperate.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #758 on: October 04, 2022, 06:59:26 AM »
Oh, that’s bullshit! How’s this not in the top 3?
This album is one song shy of perfect (I really wish they had ended the album one song earlier). I struggled with wether or nit to put this at number one and honestly, I kinda wish I did.
Production is great, songwriting is brilliant, the use of the seven string is so cathartic and dare I say perfect? Everyone plays their asses off, this is probably James’ vocal peak imo, Kev’s tones are brilliant, Myung absolutely shreds it, Portnoy’s kit sounds so alive and organic and don’t even get me started on JP!
Man, how the actual hell is this out of the top 3?

Awake
My rank: 2nd of 15

Top 5
Scarred
Lie
Voices
6:00
Innocence Faded

My current standing
2. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Octavarium
8. Distance Over Time
10. A View From the Top of the World
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Train of Thought
13. When Dream And Day Unite
14. Dream Theater
15. The Astonishing

Because people like me had it ranked at 4 ;)

In all seriousness, for the first ten years or so of my DT fandom, this album was my number 1 album of all time by any band ever in the history of music!

The fact that it comes in at number 4 on my list is less a slight against the record and more a testament to the potency of their catalog.

Offline krands85

« Reply #759 on: October 04, 2022, 08:13:12 AM »
I'm a bit surprised how many seem to be stunned that this is 4th. Felt to me like it was only ever going to be 3rd or 4th, so it doesn't feel like a big insult that it 'only' came in at number 4  :lol I have it 6th, but definitely a fine album, very consistent, great atmosphere to it and nice production. It took me a while to warm to the album when I was first getting in to the band, but it definitely grew on me. It just doesn't have enough real top tier tracks to break in to the top echelon of DT albums for me, but they are all still 'good' or better.

14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. Falling Into Infinity
11. Dream Theater
10. The Astonishing
9. Systematic Chaos
8. A View from the Top of the World
7. Distance Over Time
6. Awake
5. Octavarium
3. A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Train of Thought

Voices is my number one on the album. Interesting lyrics, James on top form and one of JPs greatest solos. Scarred is excellent too with stand-out lyrics once more. The Mirror and Lie I've always grouped together for obvious reasons, great dark and heavy feeling to them, with me slightly preferring the former.

Space-Dye Vest is next in my rankings, just a unique song in their discography. Strangely, I can't remember if I always liked it, or if I wasn't so keen at first and it grew on me. Either way, I really like it now and was pleased when they finally played it live. I really liked the changes they made too, though I can understand that some would have preferred to hear it as it was on the album.

I don't have a great deal to say about the remaining tracks, just a solid bunch of good songs.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2022, 08:19:54 AM »
1. Awake
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. Octavarium
6. Falling Into Infinity
8. Train of Thought
10. The Astonishing
11. Systematic Chaos
12. When Dream and Day Unite
13. Dream Theater
14. Distance Over Time
15. A View From the Top of the World

Y'all suck.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #761 on: October 04, 2022, 08:27:01 AM »
#4 for me as well.  I think Awake is a masterpiece, but DT has several of those.  I wouldn't change anything about it.  And it's higher on my list than one of the remaining three.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #762 on: October 04, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »
Awake is amazing. It's my #2 by DT, but it's seriously more like 1a. I loved the heavier turn Awake made and for years, considered it superior to I&W. As time went on, the timeless brilliance of I&W has surpassed Awake, but it doesn't matter. Both are absolute gems in their catalog.

My favorite tracks pop out immediately:

Voices
Erotomania
Space Dye Vest
Scarred

But in totality, the album is just one of those special recordings that for me, never grows old.

I'm not surprised it was edged out by 6DoIT, I&W, and SFAM. I figured it would be, at least by the latter two. But Awake, man...good stuff right there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #763 on: October 04, 2022, 08:42:18 AM »
My 3rd favorite album. I'm stunned it ended up below Six degrees, as much as I like that one as well.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: October 04, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
Awake has been #1 on my list since 1994, and that isn't likely to change.  Not only is it a great album, but it came along at a very important time of my life and just forms a big part of the soundtrack of my life.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #765 on: October 04, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
04. Octavarium
05. Awake
06. A View From The Top Of The World
07. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
08. Train Of Thought
09. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Distance Over Time
11. Falling Into Infinity
12. Systematic Chaos
13. Dream Theater
14. When Dream And Day Unite
15. The Astonishing

Awake was my 5ty place album. This was one that took a long time for it to click with me when I started getting into them. The first few songs seemed OK, but then the AMBI suite kicks in and I'm all over it. Then the duo of Mirror/Lie is fantastic. The rest took awhile for me to appreciate though, so I really only initially loved the middle of the album, oddly enough. Nownits definitely a Top 5, but I think it ended fifth because 8VM just has a special place in my heart since it was their first new album after I became a fan.

Looks like the Top 3 are also my Top 3, which isn't surprising.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #766 on: October 04, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »
I'm usually way out of step on these types of things, but it looks like I might have found my common ground with the group!  I'm nailing the top four, so far! 

4. Awake
5. Octavarium
6. Dream Theater
7. Systematic Chaos
8. Distance Over Time
9. A View From The Top Of The World
10. Falling Into Infinity
11. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
12. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. Train Of Thought
14. The Astonishing
15. When Dream And Day Unite

Offline mariner

« Reply #767 on: October 04, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »
3.  Octavarium
5.  A Dramatic Turn of Events
6.  Train of Thought
7.  Falling Into Infinity
8.  Awake
9.  Black Clouds and Silver Linings
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Distance Over Time
12. A View From the Top of the World
13. Dream Theater
14. The Astonishing

Top songs for me are Space Dye Vest, Scarred, and the The Silent Man.  My least favorite of the Images to Octavarium run, but it has its moments.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #768 on: October 04, 2022, 09:03:21 AM »
4.   Awake (#3); grade (10/10)

Top 3 songs:   Voices, 6:00 and Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

Incredible album, so creative and different from I&W! I still remember when I've heard this album for the first time in 94 and how I was immediately floored with 6:00. And that feeling continued with the rest of the album. Amazing feeling! :heart :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mariner

« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2022, 09:05:19 AM »
Regarding ADTOE at #5, I am glad that others like it as much as I do (my #5!).

Highlights for me are Breaking All Illusions, Bridges in the Sky, Lost Not Forgotten, On the Backs of Angels, and Outcry.  These songs are all regularly in my DT rotation.  Concur with a poster above that I never got into BMU, BMD.   The unison and harmony breaks in LNF are simply insane.