Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 37297 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#11 featured!!)
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2022, 08:12:00 AM »
DT12 - I had this one at #10. I really enjoy it still, it has aged pretty well for me. Strangely enough I don't listen to it as much as maybe I should. Highlights are The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, Surrender To Reason, and Illumination Theory. I saw them on this tour (my 2nd and most recent DT show) together with our DTFer Lynxo.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2022, 08:13:40 AM »
Wow! 4th album in a row with a lower average score than the last place finisher! That’s really surprising at this point!

I had this at #5. I consider it to be the best album of the Mangini era. (A View is close, but not quite)

I love everything on this album, and I still reach for it fairly regularly.

A lower average is GOOD - the higher the average, the lower the ranking. Anyway, I believe I had this 6th. Just great songwriting throughout. My faves are STR, IT, and BTV.

OMG I feel like such a dingbat! I don’t know why I had that reversed in my head. Thank you for being patient with me and getting me sorted out. I just feel a little silly. Lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: September 26, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
Hope you don't make such silly mix-ups on the job. The black is hot, jammindude  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#13 featured!!)
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2022, 08:39:00 AM »
I liked this quite a bit when it came out but rarely get the urge to listen to it now.

14. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
11. Dream Theater
1. The Astonishing

Offline javidt

« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2022, 08:56:54 AM »
My 2nd favourite record from the Mangini era. I ranked it #6.

I really like every song on it except Enigma Machine.

I know this album is always low on every ranking you find on the Internet but the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

The bigger picture, for example, is great, diverse and concise.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »
Another album with a less than stellar middle. The Looking Glass and Illumination Theory are great, Surrender to Reason and The Enemy Inside are also good and the rest are just not interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2022, 09:19:52 AM »
Dream Theater:  This is my #4 overall, and the first album posted that ranks ahead of I&W (which I consider a benchmark).  VERY surprised we collectively rated it this low.  The songs on this one are concise and focused, at least for DT.
 The Mangini era has shown that they can consistently make albums that have great songs from start to finish with nothing the fans want to skip, and this album is a poster child for that.  Just consistently really good from the first needle drop to the last piano notes of Illumination Theory.  Speaking of which, IT has some of the best, most fun riffs, and some of the most beautiful moments in the band's catalog.  If not for its structure sometimes feeling a bit clunky, and thus making it feel a bit less cohesive than some of the bigger epics, it could be one of their best all time songs and bring the album up even higher in the rankings.  The only knock I have on the album as a whole is that the production, while not overtly noticeably problematic for me, gives me a bit of fatigue when listening it high volume.   

I wonder of it is the same for others who are not native English speakers but CoT lyrics, clumsy as they are, never really bothered me

Nah, those lyrics are great.  Don't let a few Internet trolls fool you.  The trolls are always the loudest voices.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2022, 09:41:13 AM »
A lot to catch up on from the weekend (maybe post only M-F?).

re: The Astonishing - I had this in last place at #15. Obviously, a lot has already been said. So I'll make my comments brief. A lot of good ideas but a bland concept. JP probably should have rethought this one.

re: BC&SL - I had this one at #13. I don't really enjoy this at all. I actually prefer the edited version of A Right of Passage better than the full version. Wither is the next best song to me, and it is just unexciting. I know many dig A Night to Remember and The Count of Tuscany...sorry, I think they are extremely overrated and bloated. Silly in parts.

re: DT self-titled - this clocked in at #9. A good listen from beginning to end. Not my favorite, but there are certainly worse DT records. I find this a filler album in the band's catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2022, 09:52:14 AM »

WDADU:  Yeah, this had to be #15.  Anyone saying otherwise is either Scotty or engaging in some revisionist history.   

I wonder of it is the same for others who are not native English speakers but CoT lyrics, clumsy as they are, never really bothered me

Nah, those lyrics are great.  Don't let a few Internet trolls fool you.  The trolls are always the loudest voices.

I guess we can look forward to you trashing some of us every time you disagree with us in this thread.  Fun stuff that, sadly, does not surprise me.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Woah, chill out dude! Kind of unnecessary dig there.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #395 on: September 26, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
My rankings:

7. Dream Theater
9. When Dream and Day Unite
10. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
14. Systematic Chaos
15. The Astonishing

Dream Theater is my #1 MM-era album.  Not a bad song on it, and it has a couple GREAT songs.  Illumination Theory is incredible, dancing from one musical theme to another while still remaining cohesive.  The Looking Glass is a superb short song (derivative though it may be).  The Enemy Inside kicks you in the teeth - in a good way.  Along for the Ride is an excellent ballad.  The only place the album loses me slightly is with TBP, BTV and STR.  Those three songs come across as rather "samey."  Enigma Machine is also just an ok instrumental.  I hear people constantly deriding the production of this one, but either I don't hear it or it doesn't bother me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2022, 10:17:53 AM »
12. Black Clouds and Silver Linings (my rank: 15).  When I first bought this album, I was listening to it on the way home, and when it came to the growled section in ANTR, I was one button press away from pulling the CD out and throwing it out the window.  I'm perfectly cool with Cookie Monster vocals, death growls, etc. but they do not work for that song at all.  TCOT is the main redeeming factor on an otherwise bad album.  Lyrically, it's awful throughout.  MP was right, something did need to change, and I'm glad the change was him.

11. Dream Theater (my rank: 14).  The snare drum sound ruins this record for me.  It sounds like they sampled Mangini hitting a pillow that had a towel placed on top of it.  It would fit in on an indie record where the rest of the drums are supposed to sound like garbage, but not on a DT record.  Seriously kills my enjoyment of this record.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #397 on: September 26, 2022, 10:21:29 AM »
Honest question; why do we give so much slack to TA on the grounds that "this is what the band were going for so they should get credit for achievement", but fail to do the same with other material (TBOT was the song that triggered this thought).  IF we give credit to "artist intent", then shouldn't TBOT - something that I recall Mike being on record as being VERY proud of, and rightfully so - get the same acknowledgement?

Personally, I don't care what the intent was.  The bottom line is, do I like it or not?  If you go by intent alone, you might as well be giving out participation trophies.

15  When Dream and Day Unite
14  Dream Theater
13  The Astonishing
10  Black Clouds and Silver Linings
  9  Systematic Chaos
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #398 on: September 26, 2022, 10:37:37 AM »

WDADU:  Yeah, this had to be #15.  Anyone saying otherwise is either Scotty or engaging in some revisionist history.   

I guess we can look forward to you trashing some of us every time you disagree with us in this thread.  Fun stuff that, sadly, does not surprise me.  :tdwn :tdwn

Eh, since you called out people trolling the QR thread, and I supported you doing so there, your reaction here rings a bit hollow.  If the show fits, own it and wear it.  If it doesn't, grow a thick skin and move on.  Nobody attacked you as a person--only called out certain conduct, which, again, you yourself called out in another thread. 

Anyhow, let's get back to enjoying the countdown rather than tearing each other down.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 11:33:22 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: September 26, 2022, 10:41:21 AM »
DT12 placed 14th for me. Crushingly dull and spectacularly mediocre.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »
Paul,

Based on what you wrote, I'm checking out DT self-titled a bit more closely this morning. Really enjoying the revisit. It's better than I gave it credit for. (I had it at 9, could probably pop it up a couple of spots and hit 8 or 7 like you.)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
DT12 placed 14th for me. Crushingly dull and spectacularly mediocre.

Looks like we're in the same boat on this one.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »

10   The Astonishing
11   Dream Theater
12   When Dream and Day Unite
14   Systematic Chaos
15   Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Half of it is quite great: really love IT and The Bigger Picture, Surrender to Reason had some really great potential but failed at becoming a classic, and The Enemy Inside is their best single of their “modern era”.
The rest is lacking some real energy, with the instrumental being underwhelming given all the expectations.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »
Paul,

Based on what you wrote, I'm checking out DT self-titled a bit more closely this morning. Really enjoying the revisit. It's better than I gave it credit for. (I had it at 9, could probably pop it up a couple of spots and hit 8 or 7 like you.)

:tup

Honest question; why do we give so much slack to TA on the grounds that "this is what the band were going for so they should get credit for achievement", but fail to do the same with other material (TBOT was the song that triggered this thought).  IF we give credit to "artist intent", then shouldn't TBOT - something that I recall Mike being on record as being VERY proud of, and rightfully so - get the same acknowledgement?

Who's "we"?

I understand what they were doing.  I think it was a worthwhile thing to do.  Some folks criticize the undertaking on a conceptual level.  I don't do that.  But I still think it was poor execution and rank it at the bottom.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2022, 12:07:29 PM »
To catch up:

BC&SL is pretty bad, and I think it is fortunate to be as high as it is.

DT12 is really pretty good.  Definitely a couple of sub-par things on it, but mostly pretty good.  A little surprised to see it as low as it is.

And the lyrics to TCOT are trash.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Love this album.  Was number 5 for me.  Not much not to like on this.  IT is one if the best things I've ever heard.

Totally agree with your last line Wolfking. Illumination Theory is amongst the very best songs they ever composed. I love every bit of it and the entire album also is in my top #10.

I wonder how it's possible that the album that's so far off what they wanted - due to commercial boundaries - is still higher in the list. If there is one album in their discography that's far off from what they wanted it to be, (at least as written down in Lifting Shadows) it's Falling Into Infinity. But it's made the top 10. Unbelievable to me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2022, 01:52:55 PM »
Love this album.  Was number 5 for me.  Not much not to like on this.  IT is one if the best things I've ever heard.

Totally agree with your last line Wolfking. Illumination Theory is amongst the very best songs they ever composed. I love every bit of it and the entire album also is in my top #10.

I wonder how it's possible that the album that's so far off what they wanted - due to commercial boundaries - is still higher in the list. If there is one album in their discography that's far off from what they wanted it to be, (at least as written down in Lifting Shadows) it's Falling Into Infinity. But it's made the top 10. Unbelievable to me.

Maybe it's because it's not about what DT wanted it to be but about what enjoyment we get out of it.

For me at least I definitely prefer Falling Into Infinity over DT12. I'll take Trial of Tears over Illumination Theory every day. Not that I don't like IT but it doesn't give me goosebumps the way TOT does....

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2022, 02:12:08 PM »

For me at least I definitely prefer Falling Into Infinity over DT12. I'll take Trial of Tears over Illumination Theory every day. Not that I don't like IT but it doesn't give me goosebumps the way TOT does....

Same.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #408 on: September 26, 2022, 02:37:02 PM »
#12 - Black Clouds and Silver Linings (My Ranking: #13)

When I first heard AROP, my first reaction to it was, okay they're following the same structure as Constant Motion, and it's beginning to feel like Dream Theater is turning into the band that releases "Single" type of songs. I was right as they continued this trend since Systematic Chaos being their first album in quite a while with singles that gained some popularity, other than Panic Attack being on Rock Band.

When I first heard the album, I loved A Nightmare to Remember, the only issue I have with it is the ending instrumental before the final chorus has a section that could go without, the section where the drums die down hitting the rimshots, while the muted guitar, bass, and keys play the same parts.

I do not have a problem at all with The Shattered Fortress, given what the subject matter is and what each step represents, it makes complete sense to me regarding the use of call-backs of the previous songs and how this song seems to be one big summary. To me, it represents a reflection and a reanalysis of what you were going through with the previous steps.

Just like MP considered Space Dye-Vest to be Kevin Moore's song and Anna Lee to be Derek's, TBOT is MP's song. I enjoy it, but I just laugh at how much MP uses the word "day". When I hear the intro piano, I just imagine a montage in black and white reel-to-reel style film of MP and his Father making memories. Coincidentally, this album does have some odd things as being MP's last album, from this being his sort of Swan Song epic dedicated to his father, the boy leaving through the open door in the album art, and also the title of Black Clouds and Silver Linings.

The Count of Tuscany is a great song, and I don't mind how the lyrics just straight up tell the story. I just imagine someone standing by me, like at a bar or someplace, and we start to converse, when he starts to tell about this crazy experience he had in Tuscany involving a count. I think the music really reflects these emotions during what's happening in each stanza of lyrics. The intro makes me imagine the lush countryside of Tuscany, exactly like the backscreen video they used this tour.

Now, the reason for it being so low, even tough I am praising most of the songs, is that as an album, it is lacking flow and cohesiveness. The album art is fitting to me as that is how I feel about the songs on the album. And also since I don't really care for AROP and Wither, those can bring it down a bit more as I feel they could've done a lot more with those songs.

Favorite: The Count of Tuscany
Least: A Rite of Passage
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:06:14 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »

Who's "we"?

I understand what they were doing.  I think it was a worthwhile thing to do.  Some folks criticize the undertaking on a conceptual level.  I don't do that.  But I still think it was poor execution and rank it at the bottom.

"We" was the polite collective reference to all the losers that say they love The Astonishing.   :) :) :)  :)

(I'm kidding; I don't fault or judge people for their opinions).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2022, 02:40:50 PM »
Well, it's good to know that I'm not being faulted of judged for being a loser.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2022, 02:41:39 PM »

Mike Portnoy is not the sum total of "they."  JP has stated expressly that FII was the album they wanted to make.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #412 on: September 26, 2022, 02:42:29 PM »
Oh hey, here's their most boring album, that gets saved from last place by their second best Mangini era song (which is The Enemy Inside). Solid #14 on my list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #413 on: September 26, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
Kev, sorry to bother but can you please send me my list via PM. I didn't save it anywhere and I am not sure what I ranked.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #414 on: September 26, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »
11. Dream Theater

Number 1 finishes: 0
Last place finishes: 3
Average finish: 10.4

I had Dream Theater at #14. I like the album, but to me there's nothing that really stands out.

I like Illumination Theory well enough, but that middle section just kills it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2022, 03:46:28 PM »

I like Illumination Theory well enough, but that middle section just kills it.

Amen. Seriously.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2022, 03:52:42 PM »
I had Dream Theater at 14. Could have easily been 15. The songwriting on the album is ok, but I don't like the sound of the album which makes it a tough listen. And I know it gets a lot of love but I am also not a fan of Illumination Theory.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2022, 04:53:43 PM »
15.  When Dream And Day Unite  #13  I didn't hear this until '09, so there's that piece.  Charlie's vocals and the production are tough on the ears, WDADReunite is an improvement.

The best comparison regarding vocalists relates to the ‘Smile’ album in the Queen discography.  The band name is different, it’s part of Brian’s and Roger’s discography, but there’s no Freddie lead vocals. 

WDADU does have ‘Ytse Jam’.  Just for that song by a bunch of teenagers, the stock goes up.

14.  Systematic Chaos  #12   Great opening track, and it's what they used for the DC show I saw in '08 following 'Ant Odyssey'.  'Constant Motion' is hard driving, fun.   'Repentence'....remove the spoken words or just end it at around five minutes, and it's OK.  TDEN....hate it, but it was good enjoyable live.  'Prophets Of War'....a good anti corporation war song regarding profits.  'The Ministry Of Lost Souls'....too long of a fade out, but enjoyable.  ITPOE Pt 2.....skip.  So it is a fair 45-50 minute album.

13.  The Astonishing  #10  Like many here, as a personally abridged one disc version, it is quite enjoyable.  A shame there's no JM or MM solo or duet for 30-60 seconds to set some sort of impending sense of doom or battle scene or something along those lines.  James is superb, and enjoy the bagpipes.

12.  Black Clouds & Silver Linings   #14  Most of ANTR is good/great, the guitar solo at the end of TBOT is so emotionally moving, and TCOT of course has the great song/bad lyrics tag (deservedly so).  The rest is just so depressing.

11. DT 12  #9  Good instrumental opening to 'The Enemy Inside', really enjoy 'The Bigger Picture' and IT, but the rest all somewhat sounds the same. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2022, 04:54:16 PM »
Kev, sorry to bother but can you please send me my list via PM. I didn't save it anywhere and I am not sure what I ranked.  :lol

No bother at all!  Just sent it. :)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2022, 05:22:34 PM »
Thanks Kev.

I'm surprised when people talked about SC most of you tend to ignore ITPOE pt2. I think it's better than part-1. The band seems to agree with most of you. Because they never play part-2 since SC tour. Shame.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.