Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 36561 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#13 featured!!)
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2022, 08:47:19 AM »
TA is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had from an album since listening to music.  I was pretty shocked when I listened to it for the first time.  The next couple of times certainly wasn't any better.  Last place on my list by miles.  No contest.

Pretty much what I was going to say almost word for word.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2022, 08:55:34 AM »
So many great things have been said about The Astonishing on this forum over the years that I'm not going to waste my words. It's fantastic.

13. When Dream and Day Unite
7. Systematic Chaos
5. The Astonishing

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »
I had occasion to listen to the entire album recently, and other than the "Brother" songs (I'm instantly turned off by military marches) and Losing Faythe I quite enjoyed it. I will admit to zoning out a bit there toward the end, so l agree with the criticism that concept overstays its welcome.

I love the miltary march in Brother.. fits perfectly with the story

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2022, 09:25:51 AM »

I definitely agree with a some of the criticisms of the album, but have always been a little perplexed with the vitriol it seems to generate. I've read people say they listened once, then never again, which seems kind of crazy to me, but whatever.

It is, especially if you are a fan, but that is life in the 21st century where so much music is a mouse click away.  35 years ago, I think this album would have had a chance to eventually be recognized by more for being good, but with so music available nowadays and most not buying physical product, it is easy to dismiss an album you don't like at first and never go back to it.  In the days of buying albums or CDs, where digital music was not available, the average person was far more likely to give an album they didn't like at first more chances, but those days are long gone.

I truly remember that I had more of that attitude myself, after all, we all were putting real money on it, and because of that, it was almost like "this album X had to be at least good!"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »
Some of us already mentioned here, but it's by far, the best DT album in terms of melodies and JLB's performance IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
13. The Astonishing

I get why many are not wild about this one.  The storyline is fairly absurd, and it is too long (disc 1 is mostly flawless, but disc 2 gets a bit tedious), but I can't help but love it.  I always say that if I like an album a lot, it will find its way into my CD player, and this album dominated my CD player for most of 2016, and I think there are quite a few legit great DT songs on this one.  I ranked it 6th.

Was 2 for 2 on #15 and #14, but I wasn't at all close on this one.  I ranked it #3, and love it.  I played it a *ton* in 2016 and revisit it fairly often and live it was amazing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
It's a good album. It is just way too damn long, and not good enough to support its length (TWSS).

7. Systematic Chaos
11. The Astonishing
15. When Dream And Day Unite
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2022, 10:56:35 AM »
Wow, we're really speeding through these.  OK, to get caught up:

WDADU:  Yeah, this had to be #15.  Anyone saying otherwise is either Scotty or engaging in some revisionist history.  I am grateful to the band for issuing the live recording of this with James for the 15th anniversary.  I think it exposed a lot of fans, myself included, who hadn't really given a lot of these songs the time of day.  There is some really good material that often gets overlooked.  The problems with Charlie singing these songs are (1) they were not written to his strengths as a singer, and it shows; (2) Charlie just wasn't a metal singer at the time; and (3) the production does not do the vocals any favors.  Hearing Charlie on his solo material years later when he recorded the O trilogy, he really shines singing progressive metal that he is comfortable with.  The overall album production really hurts the album as well, although it would probably be overlooked more if the vocals weren't as offputting to some.  But again coming back to its strengths, there are some really good songs on here.  If it was a 4-5 song EP of The Killing Hand, OAMOT, LFAGA, A Fortune in Lies, and maybe Status Seeker, with James singing those songs and better production, it would be a fantastic EP.

Constant Motion:  I expected it to finish relatively low, but 14 surprises me.  Lots of great stuff on this album, but lots of stuff that I don't find very interesting either.  As I've said before, it's VERY comparable to I&W for me in terms of having some of DT's best stuff and some of my least favorite stuff, and being very inconsistent in that regard.  It is one of the few albums where I only listen to an edited playlist.  But interestingly, that edited playlist has had significant stretches of time where it has gotten just as much, or more, play time than any other DT album.  ITPOE, Forsaken, and Constant Motion are easily top 20 songs, and TDEN isn't half bad either.  I can take or leave (mostly leave) the rest.

The Astonishing:  Given the response since release here on the forums, neither the overall ranking nor the adoration from a select few surprise me.  I am surprised that Black Clouds didn't finish at #14 and bump TA and SC up a rank.  But I think that's probably largely a function of so fewer fans posting on the forum these days, and thus fewer voting in this contest.  Anyhow, I love this album.  I rank it higher than it placed, but still not in the top half.  Some really good stuff on here, and some ideas that I think could have taken it up a notch if given more time and reworked a bit.  I'm not one to criticize the way JP and the band write, especially since it typically results in such great material.  But for a concept as ambitious a this one, I think it could have benefitted even more from giving it more time to settle in and flesh out before getting it to release.  But I love that this is part of the DT discography, and to this day, when I am going to be going out on a 20+ mile bike ride, I love popping this one on and just enjoying the ride.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2022, 11:46:16 AM »
WDADU:  Yeah, this had to be #15.  Anyone saying otherwise is either Scotty or engaging in some revisionist history.

Well, I am neither and I had it at #5.

Constant Motion

Is this the Japanese version?  ;D

The Astonishing: ......  But I love that this is part of the DT discography......

Yes, I agree 100%.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2022, 11:54:33 AM »
13. The Astonishing

Number 1 finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 17
Average finish: 9.9

I had The Astonishing #7. The length and the bloatedness is a legit criticism, but was never meant to be your typical DT album. This is a whole 'nuther animal, and it's written in a particular and deliberate style.

Because I rarely listen to the whole thing, I have made an Astonishing Abridged version that I would put up against pretty much anything in the catalog. Taking into account the whole thing, it does drop it back a bit, and I basically take the average, which puts it at #7.

Unlike Six Degrees, where I rate Disc 1 as excellent, and Disc 2 as useless, but I don't give that album the same averaged score because I just respect The Astonishing and what they were trying to do.

My favorite track off of TA is The Gift Of Music. It contains everything Dream Theater is about in 4 miniutes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2022, 11:58:43 AM »
WDADU:  Yeah, this had to be #15.  Anyone saying otherwise is either Scotty or engaging in some revisionist history.

Well, I am neither and I had it at #5.

#3 here!  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2022, 12:07:43 PM »
12. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream And Day Unite
15. The Astonishing

I guess I'm one of 17 folks who also placed it last. I typically gravitate towards and love conceptual double albums but this felt quite bloated and even ridiculous at times. It's like they took "2112" the song and said "how can we make a movie out of this?" I think might have liked it more if the album had fewer characters and more vocalists representing them, a la Ayreon. Granted, DT isn't known for having anyone else other than JLB take lead vocals (MP did but not often, and JP only did backing), so I can see why they didn't, especially if they wanted to perform the whole thing live, which I've heard does the material justice. Had they released a live album and concert BD of the tour, I might have grown to like it more, but as it stands, it's been the one DT album I rarely reach for of I want some DT in my life.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online nick_z

« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2022, 12:24:47 PM »
The Astonishing - I ranked it at #13

I could basically quote most of what Tim said. I actually like TA and listened to it a good amount when it came out (well, relatively speaking - it always required a significant time investment, unfortunately  ;)). I agree that this probably was conceived to be something different, and I think it accomplishes what it set out to do, quite beautifully. The story isn't great, and it suffers (as this type of storytelling sometimes does) from being a little too literal/descriptive.

JP and JR seem particularly inspired here but, truly, everyone's performance is great.

I certainly like melodic DT (indeed, more so than when they try too hard to be heavy), and there's plenty of beautiful melodies here. The Gift of Music, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, Our New World (to name a few) are great songs...

...that said, in part because the album was composed precisely to be a "musical" sort of thing, there are many aspects of it that makes sense in that context, but they are not quite what I prefer in my "favorite version" of DT.

100% agree with Adami on the over-use of the grand finale thingie, where too, too many songs sound like the whole thing is ending. And some of the melodies in the ballads...I don't mind the Disney factor in general...just not in my DT  :biggrin: It's not like some of my favorite DT ballads aren't "cheesy" in their own way  - think Another Day** - but I guess they are cheesy in a way I enjoy  :) Here, not so much. I think one of the worst offenders in TA, and an example of that approach to melody that I find a little cringey, is Brother, Can Your Hear Me?

Anyway - given my personal taste, I couldn't rank this much higher than this within DT's discography. But I actually didn't see it as a disappointment. Just something different that they wanted to do.

** Musically speaking, of course. Not the subject matter.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:33:08 PM by nick_z »

Online nick_z

« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2022, 12:36:54 PM »

Because I rarely listen to the whole thing, I have made an Astonishing Abridged version that I would put up against pretty much anything in the catalog. Taking into account the whole thing, it does drop it back a bit, and I basically take the average, which puts it at #7.

My guess is you probably already shared this somewhere...but would you mind sharing it again?  :biggrin: I'd be curious to see...

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2022, 01:29:21 PM »
Had The Astonishing at #12. If you made me choose between a song from TA and almost any other DT song, I'd choose the other song. But when I'm in the mood for it, I really like it. I've probably heard TA in full more times than I have SC, and that one was my #8.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
I wanted to love TA so much, but it really hasn’t aged well.

I notice that in spite of 17 last place finishes, it had the same average score as SC. I would be curious Kev…is that rounded off, or was it an actual tie in that category? If you took it to the next decimal point, did one of these albums squeak out a higher average than the other?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline romdrums

« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »
Holy cow, this thread is moving.  Anyway, here's Wonder..I mean, here are my thoughts so far:

15. WDADU (my rank: 11).  I can see the potential of DT on this record, and I picked it up in the fall of 1992 after having my face melted by I&W that summer.  Sure, there's no James and the production is kinda weak (though it was recorded at the same studio where Queensryche had recorded Operation Mindcrime a year or so earlier), but the performances and the songs are there.

14. Systematic Chaos (my rank: 10). Listened to it a lot when it came out, but not much since.  It hasn't really aged well for me, though I still love ITPOE.  Dark Eternal Night was fun to see live on the tour.

13. The Astonishing (my rank: 13).  It's like they reimagined 2112 as an Off Broadway Musical.  It has its moments, but there's just too much to digest here.  I respect the effort and the ambition, I just don't think they stuck the landing.  James does an admirable job on this, however, turning in a consistently solid performance on over 2 hours of music. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
It's updated daily. Same as every other countdown Kev has done.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »
Okay, by the pace of this, looks like I'll definitely be playing the catch up game...

#14 - Systematic Chaos (My Ranking: #9)

The first new album I got to experience since I became a fan of Dream Theater. I already heard mainly all their albums and some B-sides, but not all of them. Hearing Constant Motion for the first time as the brand new Dream Theater song got me excited. The best part of Constant Motion is the energy, and also the guitar solo 'Dimebag' pitch bomb. I remember the lead up into the album release and the guys posting videos of the fan gathering for the recording of them chanting for PoW and ITPOE pt.2. While each song has something I do enjoy about it, there are some where I only like certain things and that's about it, I will still listen to them if they come up and if I decide to listen to this album in full.

I am one that enjoys PoW, the only part I think could've been left off is the MP vocal section. It would've been awesome to have gotten a guitar solo under that chord progression, maybe with some JLB vocal woah's. The Dark Eternal Night is an excellent live song, but man, one bad decision MP and JP made was having the distortion on JLB vocals be so strong. The documentary was a great idea to include as it shows how much fun the band had while making this, and it also explains a bit why JP chose to write some fantasy fiction style lyrics this time.

Overall, this album has many of my favorite songs, and I am glad I got to see the main ones live. I had no idea what the setlist was, when ITPOE Pt.1 and TMOLS started I cried tears of joy. ITPOE Pt.1 has that amazing intro guitar solo, which was just as awesome live. TMOLS is just a great, somber, sad song, and I do not mind the instrumental onslaught. To me, it serves the purpose of musically showing the struggle of the man trying his best to save the women again, while she struggles to deal with it mentally. 

Favorite: In The Presence of Enemies pt.1
Least: Constant Motion
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:03:51 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2022, 03:05:25 PM »

My guess is you probably already shared this somewhere...but would you mind sharing it again?  :biggrin: I'd be curious to see...

I'm interested too.  Maybe I'll try an edited version of the album and see if that can somehow lessen the hatred.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »

I notice that in spite of 17 last place finishes, it had the same average score as SC. I would be curious Kev…is that rounded off, or was it an actual tie in that category? If you took it to the next decimal point, did one of these albums squeak out a higher average than the other?

First off, I realized I made a slight error with the average scores, but they are all updated now.

Second, yes, they are rounded off, so TA technically had a slightly higher score than TA, but both rounded off to the same fraction.  TA had literally 5 more points than SC.  I do not plan on posting the total scores each album got until after the countdown is over.

Yep.  Once I start, I do an update every day, and with only 15 in this one, one a day seems right.  I am shocked anyone thinks this is moving fast.

That said, with this one, there will be one off day, and I will explain why once we get to that point.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »
The Astonishing was #13 for me - so nailed it. Just a really tough album to rank though, I get the love, I get the disappointment. For me, I actually loved this album upon release, yeah the story wasn't great but I thought the music was incredible. However, it has aged terribly to me to the point where I actually can't even listen to it anymore, not whole album anyway.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:55 PM »
Since its release I’ve had it anywhere from 1 to 5 and I ended up leaving it at 5. The band, especially JP, JR, and JLB put a tremendous amount of work into this.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »

First off, I realized I made a slight error with the average scores, but they are all updated now.

Second, yes, they are rounded off, so TA technically had a slightly higher score than TA, but both rounded off to the same fraction.  TA had literally 5 more points than SC.  I do not plan on posting the total scores each album got until after the countdown is over.

Yep.  Once I start, I do an update every day, and with only 15 in this one, one a day seems right.  I am shocked anyone thinks this is moving fast.

That said, with this one, there will be one off day, and I will explain why once we get to that point.

I'm glad you're doing one everyday.

What I am shocked at is how fast these days are going. That's a me thing though.

I will try and post my The Astonishing write up when I get off work tonight.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
Here it is...
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1vESXL238jGArSrka94iLx?si=2c1cefa3379e408b

Don't have Spotify.  Oh what a shame, I guess I can't check it out.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2022, 05:46:44 PM »
Here it is...

Don't have Spotify.  Oh what a shame, I guess I can't check it out.  ;D

Aw gee, wouldn't you just know it..

Wait.. here's the list..

1. The Gift Of Music
2. Lord Nefaryus
3. A Savior In The Square
4. When Your Time Has Come
5. Act Of Faythe
6. Three days
7. Ravenskill
8. A Tempting Offer
9. The X Aspect
10. A New Beginning
11. Heaven's Cove
12. The Path That Divides
13. The Walking Shadow
14. My Last Farewell
15. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
16. Moment Of Betrayal

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2022, 06:22:14 PM »
Here it is...

1. The Gift Of Music
2. Lord Nefaryus
3. A Savior In The Square
4. When Your Time Has Come
5. Act Of Faythe
6. Three days
7. Ravenskill
8. A Tempting Offer
9. The X Aspect
10. A New Beginning
11. Moment of Betrayal
12. Heaven’s Cove
13. The Path That Divides
14. The Walking Shadow
15. My Last Farewell
16. Hymn of a Thousand Voices

So, uh, why the hell did you leave Our New World off the end of this? I know Astonishing is the actual ending, but without Our New World there’s pretty much no resolution to this story. She’s barely undeaded and it ends in this version.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: September 24, 2022, 06:34:13 PM »
Because I think Hymn is the perfect ending. Our New World seems so detached from the mood of that final act. I understand why people like it and its resolution, but to me, ending it at Hymn gives it a more ethereal feeling. Plus....I think Our New World is one of the weaker tracks on the album, and the whole point of making an Abridged version is to cut out the fluff.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #309 on: September 24, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »
Highly highly disagree with ONW being a weak track. Especially if you’re going to keep X Aspect which is total nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: September 24, 2022, 06:49:19 PM »
The X Aspect is one of the most emotional parts of the album.

It's MY version!! :lol

Hymn is the perfect ending for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #311 on: September 24, 2022, 07:06:19 PM »
Because I think Hymn is the perfect ending. Our New World seems so detached from the mood of that final act. I understand why people like it and its resolution, but to me, ending it at Hymn gives it a more ethereal feeling. Plus....I think Our New World is one of the weaker tracks on the album, and the whole point of making an Abridged version is to cut out the fluff.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #312 on: September 24, 2022, 07:35:56 PM »
TA is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had from an album since listening to music.  I was pretty shocked when I listened to it for the first time.  The next couple of times certainly wasn't any better.  Last place on my list by miles.  No contest.
:tup I rank this right next to the first time i dropped the needle in 1982 on Queen' "Hot Shit...Space" album!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #313 on: September 24, 2022, 07:40:43 PM »

Strongly agreed Kev!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: September 24, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
I've thought about making an abridged version of this, but monkeying with albums just isn't really my thing. The only album I ever made own version of is "The Wall" where I added "What Shall We Do Now?," "When the Tigers Broke Free" and replaced "Outside the Wall" with the version from the film. So I actually made the album longer. I've never considered shortening an album before, though I can think of a few that need it, this one especially. 

Whoever gets their list closest to the final list should get a prize of some sort.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'