Author Topic: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (number 1 revealed!)  (Read 37252 times)

Offline Grandepapa

Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#14 featured!!)
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2022, 10:36:49 AM »
Considering I had Systematic Chaos ranked at #3, I would've thought it'd end up a bit higher on the list! To each their own I suppose.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
No. 7.  I think this record gets short shrift, honestly.  I don't quite get the hate for the last two Portnoy albums, especially this one.  I get it, there are spots that people don't like - I can do without the growls or whatever we're calling them and while I like Repentance, I understand it's polarizing - but some of the melodies are good, and most of the playing is still stellar.   

I had it at 14, so so far I'm 2 for 2.  I expect that to change pretty soon though.  But even though I ranked it at 14, I pretty much agree with your post Stadler.  I think it's a really good album.  But with a calalogue as stellar as DT's, if there are a few things I don't really like, that pulls the rating down when compared to the rest.  I love the title track; especially part 1.  The lyrics are pretty cringy to me though.  That's not a deal breaker; it's a great song and I was happy to hear it live a while back.  But the dark master stuff is pretty awful to me (and that's nothing to do with MP).  I like Forsaken.  I don't really like Constant Motion.  I like The Dark Eternal Knight live a lot; on album I do like it but sometimes I get annoyed.  I actually like Repentance just fine.  Prophets of War - fine; not a favorite, don't dislike it either.  And I love The Ministry of Lost Souls.  Good album; if I could change some things about it maybe I'd like it more, but I'm fine with it.  I just like the others better.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2022, 10:45:51 AM »
While I didn't rank it #1, far from it, I am claiming a moral victory in that The Astonishing is not #14.

It was never going to be because many of those who like it are rather enthusiastic about doing so, and are likely to have ranked it highly unlike, for example, Systematic Chaos. I suspect we'll see it in the next couple of spots, though, because I don't think those ranking it that highly will outweigh those putting it in the bottom third of albums.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »
The PM section doesn't show sent messages for some reason.  I keep all my lists in a separate excel file on my desktop.

Strange I see my list and messages in my "sent messages" folder

Offline javidt

« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »
I'm one the four that ranked it in last position.

The first time I listened to it I felt I like it but something wasn't right.

I tend to like DT albums more when I listen to them months after the first time (for example I appreciate FII mucho more now than in the '00) but when I listened to SC last year....I almost couldn't finishing it. ITPOE pt I is amazing and TDEN is funny, even Forsaken. On the other hand TMOLS is too long and not very diverse, ITPOE pt II isn't near as good as PT I and I can't stand POW.

In other words, I think almost every song from WDADU is more enjoyable than any of the songs on SC.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
When I did my top 100 last year for the DT songs countdown thread, IIRC, Repentance was the only song from SC to make my top 100, and I believe it was somewhere in the 90s.  The Dark Eternal Night and In the Presence of Enemies (which was counted as a single track for the purposes of that countdown) didn't miss by much, but that goes back to this album, for me, having the lowest highs by far of any DT record. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2022, 12:44:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kev.  Repentance isn't that great but I still somewhat like it.  PoW not so much.  The rest of the album has got a lot of tasty stuff.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2022, 01:15:35 PM »
Repentance and ITPEO are highlights. PoW is underrated. The rest is meh and TDEN and TMOLS are their worst. It deserves to be in the bottom but I would like to see it a bit higher in the ranking.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2022, 01:47:31 PM »
12. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream And Day Unite

When it was released, this was the band's 2nd new album after I became a fan, and I had a lot of anticipation for it after experiencing what I felt was one of the band's best albums yet (Octavarium). I could see how this would reach new the bottom of people's lists, as it sits in my  bottom third firmly, which is probably where it will stay. The lyrics are cheesy in places, but the music is fairly good, and I quite enjoy the epics (TMOLS and ITPOE complete, as I've not listened to them split in over a decade, it's usually the whole thing). In retrospect, it's definitely a step down from the three or four albums that preceded it, but still enjoyable.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2022, 02:16:08 PM »
Messages you send do not save to your Outbox unless you click the box underneath the text next to the "Save a copy in my outbox" line.

But if you replied with a quote of the original message, like you did in your reply to me, that message is still visible.

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »
I ranked Systematic Chaos at 11th and truly love this one. Whenever I spin it, I realize it’s been too long. The Ministry of Lost Souls is amongst the best in their discography and the live version was heavenly on last Tour.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:56:46 PM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2022, 02:41:10 PM »
I nailed this ranking, with SC finishing #14. Just not a lot for me to get excited about on this record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#14 featured)
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
14. Systematic Chaos

Number 1 finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 4
Average finish: 9.9

I had Systematic Chaos at #11. To me, my #8 through #12 are really interchangeable.

My feeling on SC is that after the emotional high of Score, and what it took to get there, SC is simply an album they made as the collectively exhaled. It has no real direction, and it certainly feels that way. But in a way that's its charm. It feels like an album that they just went in and banged out.

It doesn't have any tracks that I rate terrible high in my DT Top 100. I had ITPOE at #28 and TDEN at #36.

I actually love Prophets of War, and while I don't love Repentance, I really respect what they did with it. It's actually a cool song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online geeeemo

« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »
I had it at number 6. I listened to the entire thing last week. I enjoyed way more than I thought. I recently have enjoyed repentance and TDEN was much better in the album than alone. ItPoE 1 and 2 are a top 5 for me. And I really like all the rest. Even PoW.

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#14 featured)
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2022, 03:48:18 PM »
14. Systematic Chaos

Last place finishes: 4
Average finish: 9.9

:o :o :o ??? ??? ???

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »
Oh lol, Systematic Chaos would be my #6
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Realm

« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2022, 04:00:38 PM »
I had SC at #11. Like many have said, parts of the album are really good and other parts not so good. Still a bit surprised to see it rank 14 though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2022, 07:28:36 PM »
I heard CM and TDEN before the album release, and thought this was going to be a steaming pile of crap. Fortunately, it was just those two songs (plus the 2nd half of Repentance). PoW is alright, Forsaken is good, TMoLS and ItPoE are excellent. Song-by-song, this album has the biggest spread in my book. Surprised to see this come in where it did in the ranking.

When posting our lists, can we all decide on if #1 or #15 should be at the top?

7. Systematic Chaos
15. When Dream And Day Unite
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NoFred

« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
Repentance and ITPEO are highlights. PoW is underrated. The rest is meh and TDEN and TMOLS are their worst. It deserves to be in the bottom but I would like to see it a bit higher in the ranking.

My thoughts too, with CiM being good and Forsaken also meh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Dream Theater studio albums countdown thread! (#13 featured!!)
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2022, 05:34:14 AM »
13. The Astonishing

Last place finishes: 17
Average finish: 10.9

I get why many are not wild about this one.  The storyline is fairly absurd, and it is too long (disc 1 is mostly flawless, but disc 2 gets a bit tedious), but I can't help but love it.  I always say that if I like an album a lot, it will find its way into my CD player, and this album dominated my CD player for most of 2016, and I think there are quite a few legit great DT songs on this one.  I ranked it 6th.

My top 5 songs from the album:
1. Ravenskill
2. Three Days
3. A New Beginning
4. Chosen
5. A Better Life
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:08:35 PM by KevShmev »

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2022, 05:37:56 AM »
While I didn't rank it #1, far from it, I am claiming a moral victory in that The Astonishing is not #14.

It was never going to be because many of those who like it are rather enthusiastic about doing so, and are likely to have ranked it highly unlike, for example, Systematic Chaos. I suspect we'll see it in the next couple of spots, though, because I don't think those ranking it that highly will outweigh those putting it in the bottom third of albums.

So it was the next one up. No surprise at all. It's just... boring. And is there anything worse than that? Not in my world or on my list, no.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2022, 05:59:01 AM »
TA is a masterpiece in music industry but I understand why people list it so low when you consider DT discography. Musically and vocally it stands out one of their best but story and lyrics are huge let down, even laughable.

I like it and it ages nicely. Ravenskill, The Path That Divides, Three Days, Haven's Cove  and Moment of Betrayel are highlights. I don't even remember if I listen NOMACS instrumentals more than once. Probably I listened when the TA came out.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2022, 06:09:04 AM »
TA is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had from an album since listening to music.  I was pretty shocked when I listened to it for the first time.  The next couple of times certainly wasn't any better.  Last place on my list by miles.  No contest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #268 on: September 24, 2022, 06:09:08 AM »
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. The Astonishing
11. Systematic Chaos
12. When Dream and Day Unite
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???

Looks like I'm doing the right order, just 3 albums off haha.

Honestly, it's my 2nd favorite MM era album. It has MANY flaws, but it's still mostly enjoyable. I wish it was shorter with less songs, and only one or two grand finale endings, as opposed to almost every song (it feels like) having that ending. I also wish the story was better, the lyrics were less....descriptive....and they just did multiple singers. There's a ton of amazing riffs, melodies, beats, etc. on here but the whole is weaker than the parts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline javidt

« Reply #269 on: September 24, 2022, 06:14:13 AM »
I really appreciate that they tried to do something different but I can understand why It ranked so low.

Anyway I think DT has less interesting albums than this and I'll always defend this effort. I still listen to TA when I want to hear something different because I feel that DT sound hasn't evolve very much since TOT. There are better and worse albums but you don't find the variety you can hear from WDADU to SDOIT.

TA is the exception.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2022, 06:16:54 AM »
This should’ve been at the bottom. This is an album where I have to be in the exact right mood to take in more than a few songs. I still feel this album would have been better if done like an Ayreon and given each character unique voices. Don”t get me wrong, LaBrie did a very admirable job, but there are many things this album could’ve done that it didn’t. I could’ve easily gone a shorter album, connected some of the songs together, something like that. But in the way this album was presented, this wasn’t for me.

The Astonishing
My rank: 15th of 15

Top 5:
Ravenskill
A Life Left Behind
The Gift of Music
Our New World
Three Days

My current standing
11. Systematic Chaos
13. When Dream And Day Unite
15. The Astonishing
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. The Astonishing
11. Systematic Chaos
12. When Dream and Day Unite
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???

Looks like I'm doing the right order, just 3 albums off haha.

Honestly, it's my 2nd favorite MM era album. It has MANY flaws, but it's still mostly enjoyable. I wish it was shorter with less songs, and only one or two grand finale endings, as opposed to almost every song (it feels like) having that ending. I also wish the story was better, the lyrics were less....descriptive....and they just did multiple singers. There's a ton of amazing riffs, melodies, beats, etc. on here but the whole is weaker than the parts.

You just gave away your bottom 3.   Would guess your fav is ADTOE though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2022, 06:23:12 AM »
I haven't made my distaste for the MM era albums a secret. I doubt anything on my list is a shock to anyone.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2022, 06:53:57 AM »
I haven't made my distaste for the MM era albums a secret. I doubt anything on my list is a shock to anyone.

Ah......was trying to be clever there.....carry on.

I agree with you on View, but not the other two.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2022, 07:21:18 AM »
15   When Dream and Day Unite
14    ???
13    ???
12   The Astonishing
11   Systematic Chaos
10    ???
9    ???
8    ???
7    ???
6    ???
5    ???
4    ???
3    ???
2    ???
1    ???

I used the ranking website and was a bit surprised where some of these albums landed, but can't really argue with it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2022, 07:28:24 AM »
13.   The Astonishing (#12); grade: 7.5/10

Top 5 songs: A New Beginning/Gift of Music/Moment of Betrayal/A Better Life/Chosen   

I like the lyrics and the story, they are indeed kind of simple, but the music behind it enhances its quality, like, let's say, Star Wars does with its visuals and soundtrack. Yes, the 2nd CD kind of loses the stamina, but my real "problem" is the rock opera structure of the album. If the same musical seeds were developed in a more tradicional DT way, with a bit longer songs and instrumental parts, it would be one their best albums (Top 5) in my eyes.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline krands85

« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2022, 07:40:36 AM »
I thought it may have come a little higher, as it seems to have plenty of defenders, but 17 last place finishes looks to have really hurt it. SC finished lower, but only had 4 last place finishes! So I guess in the end, the fans of the album managed to save it from being 14th, but had to much work to do to get it higher than 13th. I had it in 10th place, but not too far behind the three albums ahead of it.

15. When Dream and Day Unite
10. The Astonishing
9. Systematic Chaos

I definitely agree with a some of the criticisms of the album, but have always been a little perplexed with the vitriol it seems to generate. I've read people say they listened once, then never again, which seems kind of crazy to me, but whatever.

There are plenty of great tracks on here and some of the bands best melodies. A New Beginning, The Path That Divides, The Gift of Music, Moment of Betrayal, Three Days, When Your Time Has Come and My Last Farewell are my favourite tracks, but several other good ones too. There's over an hour of really good music here IMO, but it isn't helped by the overall length and the story.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »
I had occasion to listen to the entire album recently, and other than the "Brother" songs (I'm instantly turned off by military marches) and Losing Faythe I quite enjoyed it. I will admit to zoning out a bit there toward the end, so l agree with the criticism that concept overstays its welcome.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2022, 07:51:49 AM »

I definitely agree with a some of the criticisms of the album, but have always been a little perplexed with the vitriol it seems to generate. I've read people say they listened once, then never again, which seems kind of crazy to me, but whatever.

It is, especially if you are a fan, but that is life in the 21st century where so much music is a mouse click away.  35 years ago, I think this album would have had a chance to eventually be recognized by more for being good, but with so music available nowadays and most not buying physical product, it is easy to dismiss an album you don't like at first and never go back to it.  In the days of buying albums or CDs, where digital music was not available, the average person was far more likely to give an album they didn't like at first more chances, but those days are long gone.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: September 24, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
I'm not surprised that DTs master piece gets such a low ranking but I'm a bit disappoited.

To me this is the best album they have ever done.
I don't get the hate for the story and anyway to me lyrics are just the icing on the cake.
And this cake..... the compostions and arrangements are fantastic. Wonderful recurring themes representing the caracters. The vocals are outstanding with LaBrie giving voice to all characters beautifully.
Orchestration and instrumentation are perfect for the story.

So to me this will probably never be surpassed...

13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos
1. The Astonishing