Author Topic: NCAA Football 2022 Thread  (Read 9498 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: NCAA Football 2022 Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »
I don't think there's any chance we get 2 Big 10 teams in the playoff.

I'm also hoping Tennessee loses again to reduce the odds of getting 2 SEC teams, but that isn't very likely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2022, 11:35:55 AM »
I don't think there's any chance we get 2 Big 10 teams in the playoff.

It's a fairly possible scenario. But lots of things would need to happen.  Also, I think it would only be if Michigan won a close game over OSU.  Based on OSU being ahead of Michigan now and all season, I don't think Michigan can survive even a close loss.  The committee always loves OSU.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2022, 10:14:12 AM »
In what was a beautiful but cold day in Memorial Stadium, Cal won the 125th Big Game in the battle of 'I don't want to be last in the Pac 12'.

Was really good to be there for sure, decades of memories in that building.

My crappy seats...

And the Axe waiting for games end...and it stays in Berkeley!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2022, 06:20:50 AM »
Injuries will likely prevent Michigan from competing in Columbus Saturday. It's been a fun season though so no complaints from me if they get beat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
Last weekend of the college football regular season, and then conference championship games next weekend.  We are getting down to it.

If I had to guess, I would put the CFP participants as Georgia, Ohio State, TCU, and USC, but that is written in sand, not stone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
USC has a tough 2 games ahead, I'm not sure they win them both.  Definitely in if they do.  Based on the rankings it seems there's potential for a 2 loss LSU to make it, but I can't see how they jump a TCU or stay ahead of USC if both those win out. 

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2022, 04:01:47 PM »
A couple of big plays can completely offset the time of possession deficit, eh lonestar? Go Bears!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2022, 06:13:24 PM »
A couple of big plays can completely offset the time of possession deficit, eh lonestar? Go Bears!

Couldn't quite seal the deal... Would've been a huge win too considering our local legend of a play by play announcer Joe Starkey is retiring and it's his last game. He's been calling Cal games for I'd gather over 50 years, and his call of the Play in '82 is the stuff of legend. (THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!!!).. At least we gave him a W in his last Big Game.

Cal has a lot of work to do, canning their OC and OLC was a good start, and their true freshman qb showed promise in the few snaps he took.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2022, 05:47:47 AM »
I don’t know, I don’t get to see many Cal games, unfortunately, but just judging by scores, it seems to me you could use a consistent defensive output. Either that or y’all have had a lot of injuries.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2022, 07:02:13 AM »
I'm still rooting hard for two Big 10 teams to make the playoffs. Chances are much better than when I first introduced the possibility here a few weeks ago. For that to happen, Michigan needs to win though so I'll be rooting for them today. The only reason I care is so PSU can go to the rose bowl. of course, PSU needs to win today against a bad Michigan state though for that to even matter.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
I don’t know, I don’t get to see many Cal games, unfortunately, but just judging by scores, it seems to me you could use a consistent defensive output. Either that or y’all have had a lot of injuries.

Cal's biggest flaw is that they have zero depth. Their first string is usually fairly solid, solid enough to make waves in games, but once you rest people or you get injuries, the quality of play plummets.

Offline emtee

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2022, 03:28:26 PM »
What a surprising and amazing win for Michigan! I'm flying high.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2022, 06:49:21 PM »
Yeah, shocking big win for UM.

I'm very happy for the PSU finish, especially with Clemson and Oregon being upset today.  PSU may have beaten no one, but they also didn't lose to any inferior opponents which is hard to say to the rest of the field. Hoping for the sneak into the Rose still, but it's still a tough one.  TCU and USC looking good for the other two playoff spots right at this moment. Georgia and Michigan seem like locks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2022, 09:36:43 PM »
Dang, OSU had Harbaugh by the gonads for nearly a decade, and now he flipped the script with 2 huge wins!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2022, 09:42:16 PM »
Id say the next top 4 of the CFP rankings should be Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC....

Let's see what happens in the conference playoffs.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2022, 05:51:29 AM »
Id say the next top 4 of the CFP rankings should be Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC....

Let's see what happens in the conference playoffs.

Speaking of conference games, I see the Dawgs' win has backdoored the Utes into the game. I wonder if USC is excited to get revenge on Utah or nervous that they have to play them again.  :lol

Guess I'm headed to Vegas this weekend!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2022, 08:22:55 AM »
A Utah win likely puts them vs PSU in the Rose. That would be very cool.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »
Just read Oregon State came back from 21 behind to Oregon in the second half, without running a single pass play on their final 5 drives.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2022, 09:19:50 AM »
I would guess the next CFP rankings would be 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. TCU, 4. USC.

I also expect those four teams to make the CFP regardless of what happens in the conference title games, although upsets there could change the seeding.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2022, 09:29:28 AM »
I would guess the next CFP rankings would be 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. TCU, 4. USC.

I also expect those four teams to make the CFP regardless of what happens in the conference title games, although upsets there could change the seeding.

I think TCU should be in regardless. 12 wins in a P5 conference, I don't think playing an extra game should hurt them, but some people seem to think they need to win.... USC is different.  If they lose to Utah, that means they have 2 losses and didn't win their conference.  They are out and OSU is in with 1 loss.  I am rooting for this scenario.  I would love to see Utah vs. PSU in the Rose. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
Maybe.  We'll see.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
Okay, so...

I'm a big NFL fan, and one reason I much prefer it to NCAA is because of its simplicity by comparison. 32 teams, NFC, AFC, easy stuff. I find NCAA to be much more daunting (I admittedly don't know much about it). But there's a thousand teams, the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC this, PAC that, etc. It's all too much. I live in Oklahoma and cheer for Oklahoma State because that's where pretty much all of my family went, but I just can't bring myself to follow because of the seemingly complex nature.

Can someone ELI5 the basics of the structure/divisions, or point me to a good breakdown so it might be easier for me to follow?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
Wisconsin is blowing it up. Welcome Luke Fickell!

It’s been a dismal couple of seasons and the ending to the Minnesota game, the big rivalry game this past Saturday, was quite possible the lowest point yet.

I have faith the Badgers made the right decision.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »
That could be a good hire.  He's done well since leaving OSU and being an OSU guy, he knows the conference well. 

Okay, so...

I'm a big NFL fan, and one reason I much prefer it to NCAA is because of its simplicity by comparison. 32 teams, NFC, AFC, easy stuff. I find NCAA to be much more daunting (I admittedly don't know much about it). But there's a thousand teams, the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC this, PAC that, etc. It's all too much. I live in Oklahoma and cheer for Oklahoma State because that's where pretty much all of my family went, but I just can't bring myself to follow because of the seemingly complex nature.

Can someone ELI5 the basics of the structure/divisions, or point me to a good breakdown so it might be easier for me to follow?

It's kind of complicated to explain easily.  I did find this thread that may be worthwile (it's a little old) https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ivbhu/eli5_how_does_college_football_work/

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2022, 06:54:55 PM »
Okay, so...

Been a big college fan my whole life, and I'm still confused at times. :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2022, 06:16:46 AM »
What lonestar says.

Plus, without a personal connection to one of the schools, and thick skin, it's impossible to be a college football fan. You've got to love more than the X's and O's. You've got to love the passion, the pageantry, the rivalries, the traditions, and the atmosphere.  Because players are very young, and only eligible to play for a short time, the come and go through the team like shooting stars. You get some really sloppy football at times. Yet...when it comes together, man it can be highly electric.

I don't watch a lot of NFL, but when I do, I'm often surprised at how consistently well they execute plays. I'm just not used to that.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2022, 07:51:53 AM »
I don't think you need to have a personal connection to a school.  I think you can just have "your team" and not have attended or anything like that, although, if you went to one of these colleges, you are likely to have that personal attachment and tradition and all that.  But if you just like sport, I think there's a lot to love about this version of football.  Mostly because the regular season matters more in this sport than any other so every weekend the games are important and meaningful.  Although because the talent varies so much between schools, you do get a lot of "bad" games, but when you get an upset, it's soooo much more fun and meaningful than the NFL.  Also, gameday atmospheres at the big schools just blow the NFL out of the water.  There's nothing like going to a big time college football game.  (and it's been wayy too long since I've attended one)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
Okay, so...

It's kind of complicated to explain easily.  I did find this thread that may be worthwile (it's a little old) https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ivbhu/eli5_how_does_college_football_work/
Some inaccuracies, but basically that's pretty close.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2022, 09:17:24 AM »
Oh wow, I've been seeing a lot of rumors today that Ohio State is requesting to not play in the Rose Bowl if they don't make the playoffs because they played there last year meaning that unless Purdue beats Michigan, it looks like it's almost a lock for PSU to go to Pasadena!  In other not so surprising news, Joey Porter Jr. has declared for the draft and will not be playing in the PSU bowl game.  Sucks, but completely expected now a days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2022, 09:20:29 AM »
Oh wow, I've been seeing a lot of rumors today that Ohio State is requesting to not play in the Rose Bowl if they don't make the playoffs because they played there last year meaning that unless Purdue beats Michigan, it looks like it's almost a lock for PSU to go to Pasadena!  In other not so surprising news, Joey Porter Jr. has declared for the draft and will not be playing in the PSU bowl game.  Sucks, but completely expected now a days.
I would be wary of such rumors.  I have no idea why Ohio State would make such a request.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2022, 09:36:45 AM »
I prefer NCAA basketball to the NBA, but college football is definitely fun.  There are some teams like Alabama, who look like they should be in the NFL and could likely compete with an NFL team.  I do have my alma mater to cheer for (Illinois went 8-4 this year, which is amazing for them, and they actually appeared in the playoff rankings for the very first time). 

Oh wow, I've been seeing a lot of rumors today that Ohio State is requesting to not play in the Rose Bowl if they don't make the playoffs

I hate when schools do this.  You don't get to pick and choose which bowl you want, you get invited to play in a bowl game and you can either accept or decline.  Period. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2022, 09:41:18 AM »
I would be wary of such rumors.  I have no idea why Ohio State would make such a request.

It's all over my twitter feed from reporters and apparently Kirk Herbstreit was saying it on ESPN last night.  If they don't go to the Rose or playoffs, they are likely going to the Orange bowl to play the ACC winner so it's not like they are going to be out of NY6 if they make that decision.  I do think it's a bit odd to decline the Rose Bowl though. 

Oh wow, I've been seeing a lot of rumors today that Ohio State is requesting to not play in the Rose Bowl if they don't make the playoffs

I hate when schools do this.  You don't get to pick and choose which bowl you want, you get invited to play in a bowl game and you can either accept or decline.  Period. 

I'm not sure if this has ever been done for a high level bowl? I do think part of this is due to the playoffs.  If you aren't in the playoffs, these bowl games are fairly meaningless.  Might as well try to get a fresh match up / location for the fan base.  I do understand it from that perspective, but still, decline the Rose?!?! The other rumor is that the Rose was going to choose PSU over OSU and OSU is saying this to get in front of it.  I'm not sure I believe that, I have a hard time thinking the Rose would choose a lesser team just for diversity, but maybe there is something to the idea that they would sell more tickets to a different team. 

I'm just happy for my team, that is all.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:05 AM »
As someone who's team hadn't seen the Rose Bowl since 1959, fuck Ohio St.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »

I'm not sure if this has ever been done for a high level bowl? I do think part of this is due to the playoffs.  If you aren't in the playoffs, these bowl games are fairly meaningless.  Might as well try to get a fresh match up / location for the fan base.  I do understand it from that perspective, but still, decline the Rose?!?! The other rumor is that the Rose was going to choose PSU over OSU and OSU is saying this to get in front of it.  I'm not sure I believe that, I have a hard time thinking the Rose would choose a lesser team just for diversity, but maybe there is something to the idea that they would sell more tickets to a different team. 

I'm just happy for my team, that is all.

Notre Dame did it years ago - they put out a statement after the season saying that they would only play at two select bowl games.  Sure, you're a prestigious football school, but 'you' don't get to pick the bowl game - it's up to each bowl committee to offer you an invite. 

The bowl games aren't meaningless - each school gets paid to play in the game.  Those payments go into a fund that is then divided out amongst all schools in the conference.  So the more schools a conference gets into bowl games, the more money they all get. 

I agree that having a different school in the game as opposed to Ohio State again would probably get those fans more excited to make the trip.  My brother was talking about Illinois being rumored for the Sugar Bowl and planned to go.  Once they lost another game towards the end of the season, the rumor dropped to a smaller bowl game and he didn't want to go to a random.com bowl. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »
With as many awesome high points as we had in the first half of the season, Appalachian State wound up not being bowl eligible for the first time since making the jump to FBS.  That kind of sucks, but the Fun Belt has become a tougher league since they joined.