Author Topic: NCAA Football 2022 Thread  (Read 9616 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NCAA Football 2022 Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2022, 11:14:40 AM »
The bowl games aren't meaningless - each school gets paid to play in the game.  Those payments go into a fund that is then divided out amongst all schools in the conference.  So the more schools a conference gets into bowl games, the more money they all get. 

Bowl money is meaningless to players and fans though.  You aren't wrong, but fans only care so much about the non play off bowls.  Even the players don't view them as important as it's more and more common to have players opt out. I care about the Rose because it's prestigious.  I don't care about most of the bowls though.

As someone who's team hadn't seen the Rose Bowl since 1959, fuck Ohio St.

:lol I read a bit more about this.  Apparently OSU returned tickets to the Rose last year and that may have soured the Rose on wanting OSU to come back.  They don't think OSU would sell as well which does make sense.  Fans likely don't want to go to the same spot every year even as prestigious as it may be.

Also, speaking of the Rose, it looks like they were the last major hurdle to agree to get the playoffs expanded in 2024.  And boy if the 12 team playoff had been in place, PSU would have made it quite a few times over the last 6 years (2020 and 2021 would not). The playoff expansion could be a very good thing for my team who so often is on the outside looking in. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2022, 11:22:07 AM »
fans only care so much about the non play off bowls. 
Seems pretty bitchy to me, since (for now, anyway) only 4 teams make the playoffs each year.  How entitled can you be to turn up your nose at a non-playoff bowl?

If you don't make the playoffs, you should be thrilled to go to a bowl.  Pretty much any bowl.  This, from an alum of a smaller school who would be thrilled to play in any bowl.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:44 AM »
fans only care so much about the non play off bowls. 
Seems pretty bitchy to me, since (for now, anyway) only 4 teams make the playoffs each year.  How entitled can you be to turn up your nose at a non-playoff bowl?

If you don't make the playoffs, you should be thrilled to go to a bowl.  Pretty much any bowl.  This, from an alum of a smaller school who would be thrilled to play in any bowl.

There's a lot of meaningless bowl games.  The vast majority are poorly attended. The NY6 bowls still hold a lot of value and prestige.  The other 70% of bowls, not so much.  I'm sure the players like them, I believe the players still get gift bags that have nice value and they get to travel to a warm location for a week or so.  The schools/conferences make money.  And the team gets extra weeks of practice that can be very useful in prepping younger players for the next season. But the games themselves aren't usually important or worthy of anything beyond a glorified scrimmage.

Offline emtee

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
It's official: CFP will expand to 12 teams beginning in 2024/2025 season.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2022, 11:28:03 AM »
There are definitely too many bowls.  They should be cut down, and the eligibility metric should be increased (something like a minimum of 8 wins, or whatever).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2022, 11:46:18 AM »
The bowl games aren't meaningless - each school gets paid to play in the game.  Those payments go into a fund that is then divided out amongst all schools in the conference.  So the more schools a conference gets into bowl games, the more money they all get. 

Bowl money is meaningless to players and fans though.  You aren't wrong, but fans only care so much about the non play off bowls.  Even the players don't view them as important as it's more and more common to have players opt out. I care about the Rose because it's prestigious.  I don't care about most of the bowls though.

As someone who's team hadn't seen the Rose Bowl since 1959, fuck Ohio St.

:lol I read a bit more about this.  Apparently OSU returned tickets to the Rose last year and that may have soured the Rose on wanting OSU to come back.  They don't think OSU would sell as well which does make sense.  Fans likely don't want to go to the same spot every year even as prestigious as it may be.

Also, speaking of the Rose, it looks like they were the last major hurdle to agree to get the playoffs expanded in 2024.  And boy if the 12 team playoff had been in place, PSU would have made it quite a few times over the last 6 years (2020 and 2021 would not). The playoff expansion could be a very good thing for my team who so often is on the outside looking in.

This only reinforces my 'fuck Ohio St.' viewpoint

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2022, 11:56:53 AM »
OSU is a spoiled fan base.  A lot of people wanted Day to be fired for losing to Michigan.  Imagine that?  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2022, 11:59:19 AM »
OSU is a spoiled fan base.  A lot of people wanted Day to be fired for losing to Michigan.  Imagine that?  :lol

Whereas a Cal coach beating stanfurd is worthy of a contract extension, even if it's a 2-11 season

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
 :lol everyone's got their standard

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2022, 12:58:13 PM »
:lol everyone's got their standard

And some bars are much, much lower than others  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2022, 01:17:30 PM »
Yeah, I heard about that.

Both sides in that rivalry are a little crazy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
Thank you Utah.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2022, 07:12:00 AM »
I'll have to give a thank you to a co-worker who told me that the over in the Utah/USC game was a lock. I rarely watched college ball, but I plunked some money down on it last night.

Over 67.5 points total

47-24 final

It helps that USC's defense is total trash, as the last three touchdowns by Utah were all the result of terrible tackling.

Whatever, I will take the money and run.  :hat :hat

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2022, 07:20:00 AM »
I'll have to give a thank you to a co-worker who told me that the over in the Utah/USC game was a lock. I rarely watched college ball, but I plunked some money down on it last night.

Over 67.5 points total

47-24 final

It helps that USC's defense is total trash, as the last three touchdowns by Utah were all the result of terrible tackling.

Whatever, I will take the money and run.  :hat :hat

The story of Lincoln Riley's career.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
I'm just glad I don't have to hear Fight On or Victory in the playoffs or Rose Bowl. Fuck USC.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2022, 08:09:13 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2022, 08:12:25 AM »
Thank you Utah.

You’re welcome.  :biggrin:

Of course, that probably opens the door for Ohio St to take the fourth spot, which is just as vomit inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2022, 09:04:23 AM »
Yes, also thank you Utah.  Looks like a lock now for Utah vs. PSU in the Rose Bowl  :yarr

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2022, 09:59:16 AM »
Oh well... looking forward to 2026 for sure...a very, very young team, and a homefield advantage. Should be a good one.

Go Japan!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2022, 10:09:41 AM »
Go Japan!!

I don't think they have a chance at making the college football playoff this year, they didn't make their conference championship game.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
At least its a football related post in a football thread. Half credit for trying?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
At least its a football related post in a football thread. Half credit for trying?

Fun Fact - the Brits used to call it Soccer when the sport was in its infancy back around the 1850s or so.

Just sayin.....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2022, 02:06:07 PM »
TCU loses...goddammit.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2022, 03:23:37 PM »

Yup. That’s all the Big 10 Rose Bowl team has to do is not tackle like USC’s trash defense, and they‘LL get an easy win.  ::)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:18 PM »
Looks like Michigan is in, so I'm guessing our final 4 will be...

1- Georgia
2- Michigan
3- Ohio St (booo)
4- TCU

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2022, 08:05:37 AM »
Looks like Michigan is in, so I'm guessing our final 4 will be...

1- Georgia
2- Michigan
3- Ohio St (booo)
4- TCU
I think you're right, but I think TCU still gets the 3 spot.

Offline emtee

« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2022, 08:46:54 AM »
I hope TCU is #3 because I don't really want to play Ohio State again since we just did. It will be what it will be though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »
Yup, TCU got the 3rd spot.

Offline emtee

« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2022, 05:56:43 AM »
A total of 2 completed passes between both teams made the Army vs Navy game pretty boring.

Looking forward to Michigan vs TCU!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2022, 07:19:34 AM »
Mississippi State football coach Mike Leach dead of complications from heart condition

RIP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2022, 10:01:52 AM »
He was one wild coach, not sure I would have wanted him coaching my team, but he had success in his own weird way and was definitely entertaining.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2022, 03:32:27 PM »
While it's been a fantastic recruiting week since Utah beat USC, I'm a bit disappointed to have two of our All American players skipping the Rose Bowl in January. The culture at Utah has always been, if you can play and your team needs you, you play. Full Stop.

I was willing to give a pass to Dalton Kincaid, since he's been playing with an injured shoulder, but Clark Phillips III is healthy and vital to Utah's secondary. I've loved watching him with the team these past couple of years, but this sours his reputation a little, IMO. We'll have to see if the next man up philosophy pans out, but those are big shoes to fill.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
While it's been a fantastic recruiting week since Utah beat USC, I'm a bit disappointed to have two of our All American players skipping the Rose Bowl in January. The culture at Utah has always been, if you can play and your team needs you, you play. Full Stop.

I was willing to give a pass to Dalton Kincaid, since he's been playing with an injured shoulder, but Clark Phillips III is healthy and vital to Utah's secondary. I've loved watching him with the team these past couple of years, but this sours his reputation a little, IMO. We'll have to see if the next man up philosophy pans out, but those are big shoes to fill.

Evens things out since PSU's best WR and defensive back are also opting to sit out, although for our sake, those two have been enjired lately so PSU has been playing without them already.  It sucks though, this is sadly the culture of college football right now.  I'd like to think these players would play when it gets to the 12 team playoff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2022, 04:40:49 PM »
I get Seniors who are heading to the draft and have been injured during the season sitting out. Best to them, I say. But Clark Phillips is a real head shaker for me.

I guarantee, PSU's been watching film and just thinking, "Yeah, we'll just identify where he lines up and just not throw there." Now, they don't have to worry about him, half the field (potentially) opens up to their playbook.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
I get Seniors who are heading to the draft and have been injured during the season sitting out. Best to them, I say. But Clark Phillips is a real head shaker for me.

I guarantee, PSU's been watching film and just thinking, "Yeah, we'll just identify where he lines up and just not throw there." Now, they don't have to worry about him, half the field (potentially) opens up to their playbook.

PSU's strength isn't wide receiver.  As mentioned, our best is out for the Rose, but after Parker-Washington.... we have no WRs really who showed up this year, Tinsley would be the next best and he's just OK.  What PSU is tough at, is our tight ends in the passing game so it might not be as big of a loss in this scenario.