Author Topic: Rock In Rio 2022 Stream???  (Read 11235 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rock In Rio 2022 Stream???
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
This was great to watch, James was a bit rough out of the gate with The Alien, but he cleared out the cobwebs and made a nice recovery for the rest of the show. At first I was worried because his voice crackled in the first chorus. and he knew it and went and got a drink of water.  He sounded great onwards, so props to him! 💪

It's just so cool to see DT play in front of such a huge crowd. They deserve that kind of recognition and their music translates well in a big larger then life presentation. 👏
Like Geemo said, I hope we get a full show dvd from this tour.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2022, 02:36:12 PM »
If they were able to play About to Crash and The Ministry of Lost Souls...There'd be more amazing shots of those crying ladies... :lol :lol

But, honestly, that was me when they started those songs. Especially that one that was tearing up at the intro to TCOT. I still couldn't believe I was hearing it being played, until the vocals came in, then the entire ending was awesome. Only thing was, I wish JLB would've sang the ending, for me, JLB's vocals make that part and hearing him doing it live would've been way better than what they did with him just allowing the audience to sing along to his backing tracks.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »
If they were able to play About to Crash and The Ministry of Lost Souls...There'd be more amazing shots of those crying ladies... :lol :lol

But, honestly, that was me when they started those songs. Especially that one that was tearing up at the intro to TCOT. I still couldn't believe I was hearing it being played, until the vocals came in, then the entire ending was awesome. Only thing was, I wish JLB would've sang the ending, for me, JLB's vocals make that part and hearing him doing it live would've been way better than what they did with him just allowing the audience to sing along to his backing tracks.

That crying lady at the beginning of the Count. I mentioned her to my son, when I shared the video. He said, "that was me". I made a pretty good meme of her and sent it to him. I'd share here, but this place is way too advanced for my inserted a pic here.

On another note. I realized as I got on my bike this morning, that I had never ridden to the Count. I turned on this RiR verson. What a perfect riding song! The beginning sounds like how you put music to road touring. I thought of the Flintstones and Fred's car. :rollin

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2022, 05:26:37 AM »
Just watched the first 2 songs.  Jeez, this is rough.  I feel for James.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2022, 06:30:42 AM »
James'  performance gets better after the first song,  but yeah The Alien was rough.  These things happen. 🤪
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline emtee

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »
Yeah, The Alien was rough indeed. In addition to JLB struggling, MM's drums were inaudible.

I've learned to truly appreciate what MM brings to the table in the studio. He's a beast. But on a stage like this in front of so many people, his performance was so subdued. There was just no showmanship or theatrics at all. Now in fairness maybe JP said to MM at some point in time,...we already had a showy drummer and we don't really want that anymore. I can only observe from afar. It is what it is. In contrast, I watched Metal Allegiance performance and although their music is not really my cuppa, MP owned his performance. The man just knows how to excite a crowd.  I really don't want to ruffle any feathers since I love them both, but in a live setting on a grand stage like RIR,  I'll take Portnoy every single time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2022, 01:37:06 PM »
I'm one that does not kind them utilizing backing vocals. I am not a fan of them being so high in the mix. I thought they were too high at Mesa, did a bit better in Austin, but here they're just as loud, if not louder than Mesa was.

Now it makes me wonder if they do a live video release, just how loud will the backing vocals be in the mix.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline JRuless

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »
I like how JM sits in the mix  :metal

Offline Skeever

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 05:10:00 PM »
This was great to watch, James was a bit rough out of the gate with The Alien, but he cleared out the cobwebs and made a nice recovery for the rest of the show. At first I was worried because his voice crackled in the first chorus. and he knew it and went and got a drink of water.  He sounded great onwards, so props to him! 💪

It's just so cool to see DT play in front of such a huge crowd. They deserve that kind of recognition and their music translates well in a big larger then life presentation. 👏
Like Geemo said, I hope we get a full show dvd from this tour.

I noticed the same Alien issue at the show I was at. I think the backing vocal with the echo might be mixed in a little too high, throwing the tempo off.

But also, the Alien is a great example of what we were talking about in the "tuning down" thread, on the harder-to-appreciate ways that DT music can be so vocally challenging. The song is in a an odd time signature to begin with, and the delay effect on the voice requires James to come in right on the dime, or the whole first verse will sound off.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2022, 06:18:47 PM »
I'm one that does not kind them utilizing backing vocals. I am not a fan of them being so high in the mix.

I don't care too much about the piped in backing vocals either other than JP singing along like it's him we hear.  The problem is the backing tracks of JLB when JLB is also singing.  I didn't really notice this too much the two times I saw them live this year, but I believe it's more due to the mix here where the backing tracks are a bit louder.  Their performance at RiR was awesome, I just think it sucks the mix made this more audible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2022, 05:30:20 AM »
James'  performance gets better after the first song,  but yeah The Alien was rough.  These things happen. 🤪

6:00 and ES aren't much better.  That last section of ES is just painful.  I love this band so much but it's getting bad.  Regardless of how songs sound, they need to tune down more or try and streamline the song selections even more.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2022, 06:36:56 AM »

6:00 and ES aren't much better.  That last section of ES is just painful.  I love this band so much but it's getting bad.  Regardless of how songs sound, they need to tune down more or try and streamline the song selections even more.

I don't really think it's getting bad. For me, I would've preferred hearing more of JLBs live vocals being more prominent in the mix. I want to hear his live vocals rather than the backng track.

I appreciate his vocals and is one reason why I am upset he didn't even bother to attempt the last vocals of TCOT. That j have more of a problem with then with how he sings those other songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
Not sure what was supposedly "bad" about that performance at all.  That's a headscratcher for sure.

But agree with Cram on the backing track.  I've come to accept the use of extensive backing tracks since so many bands use them now.  But to have vocals in the backing track that high in the mix is REALLY distracting. 

EDIT:  Echoing what I said some months ago after seeing the tour, this tour has taken Endless Sacrifice from one of my least favorite tracks on TOT to one of my most favorites.  Amazing performances this tour.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:25:54 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
I'd love to see this released on BluRay... Hopefully!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2022, 09:36:57 AM »
I guess we're just never allowed to call James' performance into question anymore  ::). What a joke. However, I feel he was pretty decent for 2022 overall and especially on The Count. I do agree with the previous posters about the piped in vocals and MM, but dead horses I guess.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »
Personally, I loved this show. My only real complaint is about the pre-recorded vocals, because they really do get bizarre when highlighted. I much prefer that the vocals are just done by JLB and JP (and why not break a paradigm and add JR and MM as well?), with their limitations and all. I understand the opposing opinions, but I think it's amazing to see MM play live, just because what he plays and the way he plays is totally amazing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2022, 10:00:36 AM »
I guess we're just never allowed to call James' performance into question anymore  ::). What a joke.

People are "allowed" to call anything into question.  But (a) "it's not what you say, but how you say it" is an important guideline that a few people seem to have difficulty employing at times, and (b) not all criticism/call into question is created equal or equally valid.  Some is just offbase and ridiculous and deserves to be called out as such. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2022, 10:06:43 AM »
...I think it's amazing to see MM play live, just because what he plays and the way he plays is totally amazing.

Agreed.  I can't really comment on his playing here because (1) other than a few limited parts of the show, the camera seems like it is barely on him at all, and (2) his toms (and possibly other pieces as well) are REALLY low in the mix, so it's hard to hear what he is doing.  I don't really agree with Emtee's comment about him being really subdued, because I've seen/heard him play plenty of times to know what he is doing, and I think his playing and stage presence are appropriate to the material and presentation.  The problem with the editing in this show is, you just can't tell what he is doing because you barely see and hear him, other than hearing the basic beat and a few select accents.  But then again, that's always the problem with live performances.  Seems like somebody always gets the short end of the stick on either video or audio (or both).  That's just the way it goes.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2022, 10:16:07 AM »
Personally, I loved this show. My only real complaint is about the pre-recorded vocals, because they really do get bizarre when highlighted. I much prefer that the vocals are just done by JLB and JP (and why not break a paradigm and add JR and MM as well?), with their limitations and all.

Well, MM has said a few times that his backing vocals aren't too good (he did some live with Extreme), so he most likely wouldn't do it; but Jordan does sing well enough and could totally do it if he/the band wanted to go in that direction.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2022, 10:40:04 AM »
About MM, I didn't know about it. And I understand Jordan's voice is deeper, so maybe it doesn't fit the DT material as much, although I think he does sing some DT songs at his solo piano shows (if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, if JP practiced more, maybe he could do better and more present backing vocals at shows. And I'm OK with JLB's present limitations, still, I'd rather it be him as a vocalist.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 05:41:43 PM by devieira73 »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2022, 11:59:20 AM »
About the MM, I didn't know about it. And I understand Jordan's voice is deeper, so maybe it doesn't fit the DT material as much, although I think he does sing some DT songs at his solo piano shows (if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, if JP practiced more, maybe he could do better and more present backing vocals at shows. And I'm OK with JLB's present limitations, still, I'd rather it be him as a vocalist.

I was just listening to The Silent Man on the way to work. I and thought to myself, "I love how JP harmonizes with JLB and even in his little solo parts his voice
is nice sounding. Wouldn't it be great if they utilized JP more to aid with vocals and in any subsequent records write melodies with this in mind."

And if Jordan is in a lower tone, he could do a bit of growling!  :xbones

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2022, 02:44:10 PM »
Not sure what was supposedly "bad" about that performance at all.  That's a headscratcher for sure.

But agree with Cram on the backing track.  I've come to accept the use of extensive backing tracks since so many bands use them now.  But to have vocals in the backing track that high in the mix is REALLY distracting. 

EDIT:  Echoing what I said some months ago after seeing the tour, this tour has taken Endless Sacrifice from one of my least favorite tracks on TOT to one of my most favorites.  Amazing performances this tour.

I accept the use of the backing tracks as well, it actually makes sense when you consider the possible reasons for utilizing them in the first place. One reason could be JP not being that great of a singer and I feel he doesn't really want to sing backing vocals anymore. Singing back-up vocals was a MP thing and I think he was the one who encouraged JP to sing as well.

I want to say this tour has been amazing both times I went. Endless Sacrifice was a big highlight for me because the band was on-point for it. It was also one song that this mix really complimented well. JR's piano runs were beautiful too.

I enjoyed the performance on this stream, but I had some issues with the mix lacking some aspects that were part of the show. If you went to a show, the lower ends were immense and you could really feel Mangini's drums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2022, 02:49:38 PM »
I guess we're just never allowed to call James' performance into question anymore  ::). What a joke.

People are "allowed" to call anything into question.  But (a) "it's not what you say, but how you say it" is an important guideline that a few people seem to have difficulty employing at times, and (b) not all criticism/call into question is created equal or equally valid.  Some is just offbase and ridiculous and deserves to be called out as such.

How would you like me to say it?  You're calling me out for what, my opinion on his vocals here?  They are not very good IMO, I'm sorry about that.  It's just sad to see.

I think people need to put their fanboy status on the band aside once in a while too.

Anyway, that's enough out of me regarding James.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2022, 05:06:21 PM »
I have long said that James was one of the reasons I became a fan of the band, and he is one of my all-time favorite singers, but his live struggles are so obvious now.

I won't post the link (if it is even still available), but there was a feed from the Rio concert of him without the backing track help, and let's just say, it was painful to listen to.  30 years of abusing his voice live have taken their toll.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2022, 10:51:10 PM »
Sampled some of the Rock in Rio performance and yes James vocals are very poor. I don't think there is any other way to say it - off key, wailing vowels without any articulation between words, just a mess.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2022, 05:04:31 AM »
I have long said that James was one of the reasons I became a fan of the band, and he is one of my all-time favorite singers, but his live struggles are so obvious now.

I won't post the link (if it is even still available), but there was a feed from the Rio concert of him without the backing track help, and let's just say, it was painful to listen to.  30 years of abusing his voice live have taken their toll.

Have you ever heard some soundboard bootlegs from the ToT tour?
I'm asking because you could have said the very same thing already back then.

And then the Octavarium tour came.
And it was followed by the SC one.

James voice condition has always been a mistery to me. I obviously have no clue what is going on now, but one thing that has cought my attention is the gum he always has in his mouth (i guess it's to stimulate the production of saliva) and a clear shortage of breath.
Add to that the fact that the guy has gained quite some weight since The Astonishing tour.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2022, 05:15:57 AM »
I think one of the worst things about the backing tracks is that James has a tendency to improvise both rythmically and tonally, so even though he may sing totally fine, it doesn't fit with the backing tracks.
Some times his improvisation is really, really bad though...like, what is he thinking?

Overall, the vocal-performance was OK, but some of the choices James is making really throws me off..

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2022, 06:01:00 AM »
James is kinda OK at this show. It's clear it is his one of the off day but this is the James now. I accept it.

I watched IR too and to be honest I had a hard time hearing/understanding what Bruce singing. This guy is all over the place, running, jumping, changing clothes, posing but  definitely not for singing. For a comporasion at least James is singing.

I am not defending James or making excuses. Admit that he is clearly bad at this show but I see him trying and fitting in. Bruce is in a level that doing only frontman things but not singing. I hope James will not go there.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2022, 06:20:02 AM »
I'd rather see the band with James on his worst night than them without him/with someone else. I have no problem with old singers sounding terribly as they age. That's life. Meat Loaf sounded like dogshit in the last 10 years of his career, and I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to a buy a ticket to any tour that was announced. Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, and many living legends' voices are a shadow of what they once were. I still get excited to see them.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2022, 06:22:14 AM »
I think one of the worst things about the backing tracks is that James has a tendency to improvise both rythmically and tonally, so even though he may sing totally fine, it doesn't fit with the backing tracks.
Some times his improvisation is really, really bad though...like, what is he thinking?

It bothers me that he chooses alternative vocal lines the last couple of years. As he has to polish or update original vocal decisions. Everytime he does so it keeps me thinking 'WTF, why?' just try to sing the original maybe lower tuned. Cause most of the time the sync is off or it fits not well. Just my 2 cents....

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2022, 07:37:12 AM »
Finally getting around to this.

On Alien now, my feelings toward the song aside, why is MM so low in the mix? I'm really struggling to hear a lot of his playing.

Edit: On ES now. Drum mix has improved. I can also see what a lot of you are saying about James.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 07:50:58 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2022, 07:50:45 PM »
I'd rather see the band with James on his worst night than them without him/with someone else. I have no problem with old singers sounding terribly as they age. That's life. Meat Loaf sounded like dogshit in the last 10 years of his career, and I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to a buy a ticket to any tour that was announced. Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, and many living legends' voices are a shadow of what they once were. I still get excited to see them.

I get maybe that not everyone is able to do what they were once able to do, but Bon Jovi is not even trying. He's just showing up to collect your money.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2022, 12:16:24 AM »
I don't think I'd ever heard the piped in backing vocals this loud. I think I was in denial about JP miming the backing vocals live (always figured he was just that good), but those backing vocals are... intriguing. I noticed in the Iron Maiden broadcast how the mix really emphasized many elements that are usually buried, but this went beyond that.

What's curious is that in one of the Bridges in the Sky choruses JLB chose to sing the low part of the harmony while the tape took care of the high part (https://youtu.be/WFW_oi-xcSc?t=2166). That didn't sound half bad to me, but isn't something I've ever perceived them doing before live.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 12:33:42 AM by porcacultor »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2022, 01:20:55 AM »
The funny thing about that is that none of us were able to hear the lower part being sung on any of the earlier recordings. It looked like lip-synching and we were pissed, to say the least.  :lol