Author Topic: 425's Roulette v5: Short break  (Read 38342 times)

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v5: A Beginning (Still accepting sign-ups!)
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »
You're both in! Thanks for joining! I'll still leave sign-ups open until tomorrow night, since I can accommodate a few more.

Hi 425.  I'll join if you're good with getting a band or two that I already sent you (everyone knows what I'm sending in round 1).  Will the EP, should I make it that far, need to have a story or can it just be a longer submission of songs?  I'm not good at the concept thing so I suppose I'll be a little more confident about joining if that's not what you're looking for.

Completely on board with that, in fact, I hope some people do decide to do that. It might be that I heard a song or two and am still on the fence about getting into a band and would like to hear more.

As for the EP, definitely doesn't need to have a story. What I'll be judging is the quality of the songs and how well they flow together. Stories can be nice to have in these, but it's not going to take away from your score if you don't have one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2022, 09:15:38 PM »
I've kept seeing these roulettes and wondered what the big deal is.  Reading the OP it seems simple enough.  Should I give it a go and figure it out on the fly?  I've never followed one before, so I'll probably either be cannon fodder or maybe I'll make a surprise slide into glory. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
I've kept seeing these roulettes and wondered what the big deal is.  Reading the OP it seems simple enough.  Should I give it a go and figure it out on the fly?  I've never followed one before, so I'll probably either be cannon fodder or maybe I'll make a surprise slide into glory.

Send good music that isn't on the hosts banned list.  It's that simple.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2022, 12:44:36 AM »

"The Forum of Dream Theater turns, and Roulettes come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Roulette that gave it birth comes again. In one Roulette, called the Fifth Roulette by some, a Roulette yet to come, a Roulette long past, a wind rose above the great mountain home of 425. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Dreamtheaterforums Roulette. But it was a beginning."

Wow, no pressure, though, everyone! :lol

Are you in or are you going to observe and write the chronicle?

I wasn't necessarily going to join but I can do dude  :tup

Wasn't trying to cajole you into joining, but I'd be happy to have you! I'll add you to the list, but no problem if you want to back out.

I'm going to keep sign-ups open for another day or so, since, like I said, I was hoping to get at least 15. If no one else is interested, I'll figure out how to run it with whatever number we end up with, but I want to give people a little while longer.

Yea,go on then dude. The fact that I don't have to narrow down to one song when in sending, should make it a bit easier.

All I really know of your tastes is that you like Coheed, so you are clearly a man of culture. Growls are risky as well, got it.

Also, I pretty much always end up asking this, so might as well get it out of the way early. What are your views on punk rock and video game music?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:47:05 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2022, 07:47:05 AM »
I there any room left?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2022, 07:50:05 AM »

I'd be happy to have you if you want to play! Wolfking explained the essence of it. The main goal is to win by impressing the host more than others do.

On top of that, a lot of the fun is the banter that goes on during rounds, particularly as the songs that were sent are revealed (typically through a game of hangman).

Yea,go on then dude. The fact that I don't have to narrow down to one song when in sending, should make it a bit easier.

All I really know of your tastes is that you like Coheed, so you are clearly a man of culture. Growls are risky as well, got it.

Also, I pretty much always end up asking this, so might as well get it out of the way early. What are your views on punk rock and video game music?

Great! Punk is not really for me. I don't really connect with the typical attitude of it. I definitely like some video game music a lot, although I've rarely tried listening to it deliberately outside the context of playing the games themselves. Would be willing to give it a try, though!

I there any room left?

Yes! I'll count you as in.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
 :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline romdrums

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
I think I can do this, so long as a few others join.  16 is such a solid number for this format that if it ends up at 17, I'll bow out.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline 425

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2022, 11:27:09 AM »
Thanks, romdrums! I'd love to have you, but it's nice to have a flex participant in case we end up with an odd number. If LithoJazzSphere decides to join, that will put us at 18, which I think would be a good number.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »
I'd be happy to have you if you want to play! Wolfking explained the essence of it. The main goal is to win by impressing the host more than others do.

Yeah, so I guess I'm in, and I just sent my submission for round 1. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 12:02:37 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2022, 12:42:38 PM »

Welcome aboard, you'll never be the same...

Just trying to decide between two bands, will send this evening  :corn

Edit: Sent
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:48:23 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline 425

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2022, 06:05:08 PM »

Excellent. Happy to have you!

Alright, since it looks like we have a round 18 including Litho and Rom, I'm going to close off sign-ups here.

Here is the format I have for 18 participants: For the first three rounds, we will have six pools with three people in each. Each round, my favorite submission in a particular pool will get 3 points, my second favorite will get 2, and my least favorite 1. The lowest total score in each pool after three rounds will be eliminated. That will leave 12 participants, who will be re-organized into three pools with four people in each. After round 6, the bottom two in each of those pools will be eliminated. That will leave a final six who compete in the two EP rounds.

So the progression goes: 18 participants in groups of 3 -> bottom 1 in each group eliminated -> 12 participants in groups of 4 -> bottom 2 in each group eliminated -> 6 participants in two EP rounds. I think this sets a nice pattern of increasing stakes.

Here are the six groups who will compete against one another in the first round. This will also be added to the second post. The groups here are generated using a random number generator:

Pool A:
Lethean
Sacul
senecadawg2

Pool B:
ReaperKK
twosuitsluke
wolfking

Pool C:
Elite
Buddyhunter1
HOF

Pool D:
kingshmegland
Stadler
Vmadera00

Pool E:
LithoJazzSphere
soupytwist
Tomislav95

Pool F:
Cyril
romdrums
TAC

Get to know each other, folks... you're going to be sharing the ring for three rounds.

Submissions open for round 1. Some of you have already sent, for the rest of you, let's try to get them in by Friday. I'm going to listen to each pool together, so the first pool to have everyone in might be the first to get results... (sorry, Pools A and C)
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 425's Roulette v5: A Beginning (Entries closed; submit for R1!)
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2022, 06:12:30 PM »
Does everyone go back to zero at the end of Round 3? Do we all start off even for Round 4?

Also, I heard the oldest person in each group was going to start with an extra point. That's true, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2022, 06:20:50 PM »
THE FUTURE IS NOW, OLD MAN

(it's very funny that i'm in TAC's group as all the music i plan to send in this roulette is very anti-TAC-core)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2022, 06:22:57 PM »
I already know what you've sent for one of the rounds.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »
do you now?  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2022, 06:31:53 PM »
It would be um... fun. to guess, no?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2022, 06:34:42 PM »
This is a cool format.  I dig it.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2022, 06:54:35 PM »
Also, I heard the oldest person in each group was going to start with an extra point. That's true, right?

I heard it was the best looking. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2022, 06:55:37 PM »

Pool D:
kingshmegland
Stadler
Vmadera00

Poor V. I hope he knows how to make oatmeal and what aisle the Depends are in.

I heard it was the best looking. 

OK, I'll go with that too. That's two extra points for me! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2022, 06:59:07 PM »
Honey with cinnamon oatmeal for this old bastard. Add cut up apples.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2022, 07:04:38 PM »
Does everyone go back to zero at the end of Round 3? Do we all start off even for Round 4?

You all start off even for round 4. The benefit of performing really well in the first three rounds (as opposed to just well enough to stay alive) is that you'll have weaker competition, because the new groups are going to be seeded.

Thanks for reminding me about the Fogey Rule: Before the first round, the oldest person in each group has to try to drive the two younger ones off their lawn. If they're able to do so within 60 seconds, they get a bonus point, if not, the young people do.

(it's very funny that i'm in TAC's group as all the music i plan to send in this roulette is very anti-TAC-core)

I think there are some interesting groupings here. Pool F is definitely a land of opposites with Rom in the middle.

:tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2022, 07:08:36 PM »
It would be um... fun. to guess, no?
you'd think that but you'd be wrong  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2022, 07:15:24 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about the Fogey Rule: Before the first round, the oldest person in each group has to try to drive the two younger ones off their lawn. If they're able to do so within 60 seconds, they get a bonus point, if not, the young people do.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2022, 07:17:40 PM »
I might have to arm wrestle Stads for that?  Stads?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2022, 07:24:05 PM »
I might have to arm wrestle Stads for that?  Stads?  Lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2022, 07:26:12 PM »
Nice group. I'll send shortly
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2022, 07:36:37 PM »
More like this Tim.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2022, 09:24:03 PM »
Wow, hang the fuck on, I'm the damn fogey in my pool?!

Tim, how do I do this right? First off, I need to lose all knowledge of what anything is and ask periodically "What's ****?" when those young 'uns are making pop culture references?

Dude, what kind of smack talk is this? You're embarrassing us in front of the other pools!!

I'll attempt to claw it back.

Kade, you're music taste is like your avatar, dated and an embarrassment to this forum.

:hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2022, 04:52:59 AM »
Wow, hang the fuck on, I'm the damn fogey in my pool?!

Tim, how do I do this right? First off, I need to lose all knowledge of what anything is and ask periodically "What's ****?" when those young 'uns are making pop culture references?

Dude, what kind of smack talk is this? You're embarrassing us in front of the other pools!!

I'll attempt to claw it back.

Kade, you're music taste is like your avatar, dated and an embarrassment to this forum.

:hat

Hold old are you?

Okay....Errrr....shut up old man!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2022, 05:01:18 AM »
I'm 39! I think the three of us are pretty close in age but I just edge the two of you out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2022, 05:04:59 AM »
I'm 39! I think the three of us are pretty close in age but I just edge the two of you out.

For some reason I didn't think you were that old Luke.  But yes, you are a year older than me.  ;D

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2022, 05:05:24 AM »
Will send tonight, I'm against some tough competition in my group.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2022, 05:28:32 AM »

For some reason I didn't think you were that old Luke.  But yes, you are a year older than me.  ;D

Hey, watch who you're calling old  :getoffmylawn:  In my day kids had more respect for their elders!

But to be fair, this is basically me...

So Pool B represent, right?! Let's show these fuckers how to tank a roulette...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2022, 05:56:26 AM »
I'm down with that.