Author Topic: 425's Roulette v5: Short break  (Read 38677 times)

Offline 425

425's Roulette v5: Short break
« on: August 29, 2022, 07:52:59 PM »
Introduction:

Welcome to another roulette from me! This is something I sort of decided to do on a lark. Since I started doing roulettes, I've gotten to the place where my comfort zone is having more artists I'm excited to check out than I know what to do with, and I feel that the well is drying up a bit, so, well, here we are!

On a personal note, my last roulette was nearly two years ago, but I canceled it because of a serious personal tragedy. I've never been someone to open up much on DTF, but I'll just say that I'm starting to reach something like a new normal in my life, and I think running a new roulette will be part of the healing process in some way. Don't take that as me having any expectations of you, just a statement of gratitude to anyone who wants to participate in this or ends up following along.

Okay, what kind of roulette is this? My format last time was driven by two things I wanted to change about the way I was doing roulettes. First, I wanted to hear more than one song from a particular artist, because I'm primarily looking for artists I can dive deep into, not individual songs that I might like. Second, I wanted to judge winners by a comparative standard, not doing a score out of ten, because trying to assign numerical values is one of the most frustrating aspects of running a roulette to me.

Last time, I tried to accomplish those goals by doing an album roulette where people faced each other in a rotating series of head-to-head matchups. I don't regard that as a failed format; it's probably worth someone trying again, but it's not what I'm doing this time. I don't have the time for albums, and I want to provide a little more of a spectrum of outcomes for each round beyond "win-loss." So here's what I came up with...

Format:

Some of the format specifics will depend on the exact number of participants I get, so stay tuned for a precise layout. But in essence I'm planning to use a pool format to score submissions against each other and gradually eliminate participants over the course of the roulette. I'm anticipating high demand for participants, considering the way things have gone lately for roulette, so I've planned for that and am looking to include somewhere from 15-20 participants. I also don't want it to be 17 or 19, so I'll try to invite new people if we get left at one of those numbers. If demand is lower than I thought, I'll figure out how to run it with however many people want to join.

The basics are each participants will be randomly assigned to a pool of 3-5 people. The submissions within a pool will be ranked and receive points accordingly. So if the pools have 4 people, then my favorite submission of a round will get 4 points, my second favorite will get 3, etc. The pools will stay together for three rounds. Then, the bottom 1-2 people from the pool (depending on the size) will be eliminated.

New pools will then be created with the surviving participants, and we'll follow the same procedure for rounds 4-6. After round 6, there will be another elimination, and we'll have 4-6 people left. These people will do two ranked EP rounds, and the most EP points will win.

If this is hard to follow, don't worry. I'll post some more specifics once we have a participants list. The basics are, you're competing directly against 2-4 other people. You need to score points by having submissions I like better than theirs. If you're doing poorly, you'll be eliminated after three rounds. If not, you'll compete for three more rounds against a different group of people. If you do well against them, then you'll compete against everyone else who's left in two EP rounds.

All the complexity should be on my side. All you have to do is follow what to submit and when. That's what this next part will tell you:

Submissions:

Submissions need not just be single songs. I want to hear a sampling from an artist, not just one few-minutes-long piece. So, for each of the first six rounds, you have a 15 minute limit to send me as many songs from a single artist as you want. You can send one 14-minute epic. You can send four 3:30 songs. You can send a 10-minute song and a 4-minute song. It's all up to you. It just needs to be 15:00 or less in total.

There's no minimum length. Yes, you can send one 3-minute song if you want. I don't advise it, but you can.

"Single artist" generally means that if I was going to sort the songs in my music library, the words listed under "artist" would be identical. Features are fine, but side projects and solo projects count as different artists. If you have a weird case, let me know and I'll make a decision. Generally, a band that changes name counts as the same artist, a spin-off band counts as a different artist.

Banned music:

What can't you send? I'm keeping this as simple as possible. Below is a list of artists that are totally banned. There is also a link to a Google Doc that lists individual songs that are banned. The songs list comes from two sources: Artists where I know one or two albums but am uncertain I want to explore further, and past roulette submissions. I encourage cheating where permitted, but I'm not going to permit you to submit something I've already scored and written about in a previous roulette.

So, if you want to know whether your submission is good, do two things: (1) Ctrl+F the artist on this page and see if they're on the banned list. (2) Ctrl+F the song on the Google Doc linked here and see if the song shows up. If the answer to both is no, go ahead and send.

Banned artists:
Amaranthe
Amorphis
Anabasis (not The Anabasis, which is allowed)
Anathema
Angra
Arcane
Arch/Matheos
Avantasia
Ayreon
Beyond the Bridge
Big Big Train
Blaze Bayley
Blind Guardian
Bon Iver
Caligula’s Horse
Circus Maximus
Coheed and Cambria
Coldplay
David Maxim Micic
The Dear Hunter
Death Cab for Cutie
Delain
Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project
Dio
Dream Theater
Enchant
Epica
Evergrey
Fates Warning
The Flower Kings
Flying Colors
Frost*
The Gentle Storm
Haken
Headspace
Helloween
IQ
Iron Maiden
Kamelot
Leprous
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lorde
Markéta Irglová
Megadeth
Metallica
Mystery
Neal Morse
The Neal Morse Band/NMB
Nightwish
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Pain of Salvation (because I don't like them)
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Pyramaze
Queensrÿche
Redemption
Rush
Seventh Wonder
Sonata Arctica
Spock’s Beard
Steve Harris
Steven Wilson
Symphony X
Taylor Swift
Teramaze
TesseracT
Threshold
Thrice
Transatlantic
Tuomas Holopainen
Unleash the Archers
Voices from the Fuselage
The Warning
Yes

Artists sent during roulette
Amahiru
Angel Dust
Anthonie Tonnon
Anubis
Ardarith
Autumn
Borknagar
Carpenter Brut
Cave In
CHVRCHES
Conception
Concrete Blonde
The Cyberiam
Dead Letter Circus
Deftones
Destiny Potato
Dim Gray
dredg
Echolyn
Fellowship
First Aid Kit
From Monuments to Masses
Ghost
Glass Beach
The Intersphere
Ivar Bjørnson and Einar Selvik
Jakub Zytecki
Jellyfish
Jolly
Katatonia
The Killers
King Crimson
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Kingcrow
Kingfisher Sky
King’s X
Kip Winger
Lost Domain
Mandroid Echostar
Mile Marker Zero
Myrath
Nevermore
Nils Frahm
Ola Englund
The Pineapple Thief
Public Service Broadcasting
Pure Reason Revolution
Rishloo
RX Bandits
Serious Black
Seven Spires
Soilwork
Sufjan Stevens
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Sylvan
Toto
Triosphere
Twin Temple
Valis Ablaze
Vanishing Point
VOLA
Von Hertzen Brothers
Vylet Pony
Waken Eyes
Waylon Jennings
Wes Montgomery

Tastes:

I'll keep this short-ish because I think people mostly ignore it and send what they want anyway. Plus, I've done enough of these and been on this forum long enough that you can figure it out.

Basically: I like music that feels like it's about significant things. Music that is often grand or epic. Great melodies are a must. Prog metal and prog rock are definitely home genres for me, and the safest plan in this roulette would probably be to stay at home in those genres, but music from other genres can still score very well. Some of my favorite music is more in the areas of indie rock or modern pop. I think it's just that it's rarer for me to fall in love with an artist from those genres.

I think it would be dangerous to send something that's going to make me think "that's weird and discordant" or something that's going to make me think "this is about how drab and gray life is" (see: Porcupine Tree). I think it would also be dangerous to send me something with morbid lyrics (such as the serial killer lyrics that many metal bands like to do), lyrics focused on drinking or drug use, or lyrics that are sexually explicit.

It would be dangerous to send me Pain of Salvation or Bent Knee. These are frequent roulette submissions that I have tried and do not like. Not going to ban them, but you've been warned.

People ask about harsh vocals. It's hit or miss. Some are going to be a-ok, some are going to be a turn-off. In a certain sense, I think I turned a corner on, like, certain kinds of melodeath and prog with harsh vocals in the last couple of years, but realistically I'm still going to be pretty selective. I'd generally say the more it's a deep, thick growl (like Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis) and the more melodic the music otherwise is (again, Amorphis), the better your chances are. If there is also clean singing that also vastly improves your odds compared to music where the vocals are all harsh.

Also, you can just ask me what I think of an artist if you see that I've heard some of their work before. I'll just tell you my current take on them.

I... think that's it. I'll put links to past roulettes here in case you want to check those. Otherwise, looking forward to this!

Roulette v1
Roulette Championship
Roulette v2
Roulette v3
Roulette v4 (abandoned)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 01:14:44 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v5: A Beginning
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 07:53:13 PM »
This post will contain the participants list, pool information, etc.

Participants:
1. TAC
2. Vmadera00
3. HOF
4. Cyril
5. wolfking
6. Elite
7. senecadawg2
8. ReaperKK
9. soupytwist
10. Buddyhunter1
11. Stadler
12. Sacul
13. twosuitsluke
14. Lethean
15. kingshmegland
16. Tomislav95
17. romdrums
18. LithoJazzoSphere

I'm counting as in the people who said they'd join in the tracker thread, but please go ahead and post in here to confirm you've seen it and you really want to join.

First Set of Pools:

Pool A:
Lethean
Sacul
senecadawg2

Pool B:
ReaperKK
twosuitsluke
wolfking

Pool C:
Elite
Buddyhunter1
HOF

Pool D:
kingshmegland
Stadler
Vmadera00

Pool E:
LithoJazzSphere
soupytwist
Tomislav95

Pool F:
Cyril
romdrums
TAC
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 10:20:54 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »
IN!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 08:18:02 PM »
In!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 08:27:01 PM »
i am going to send you bent knee and you are going to have to deal with that

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
425, where are you on female vocals?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »
i am going to send you bent knee and you are going to have to deal with that

Actions (sending bent knee) have consequences (getting a 4/10). But as the person who sent Pain of Salvation in my album roulette, you know that. :P

425, where are you on female vocals?

Definitely a fan. I mean, there are female singers I don't like just as there are male singers I don't like, but probably a disproportionate number of my favorite metal singers are women (relative to how many bands in the genre are female-fronted).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 09:48:59 PM »
I think I might be out, you kinda cut my legs out from under me with that banned list ngl.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:59:12 PM »
No worries. Let me know if you change your mind.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 10:57:44 PM »
sent for round 1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 01:06:02 AM »
Count me in.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 01:07:59 AM »
Best way to send?  Not sure if I missed that in the OP?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 02:14:20 AM »
I'd love to join (again). Will read the OP later
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 02:17:52 AM »
"The Forum of Dream Theater turns, and Roulettes come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Roulette that gave it birth comes again. In one Roulette, called the Fifth Roulette by some, a Roulette yet to come, a Roulette long past, a wind rose above the great mountain home of 425. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Dreamtheaterforums Roulette. But it was a beginning."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:47:34 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 05:45:37 AM »
I'd like to play. Looks like I have to do some research though. Are you thinking the groups will be randomly generated, or are you going to rank us by how irritating we are?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 06:08:42 AM »
Count me in, I'll be out of town with spotty connection Sept 9-19, will I be able to send a song or songs early so I don't hold anyone up?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 06:13:46 AM »
I'd like to play, but just to clarify...Would it be OK to just send you the name of the artist and their songs (and you then find them), or do I have to provide links/create a playlist?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 06:54:11 AM »
In.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 07:58:15 AM »
I'll join, just know that I'm moving over these next couple days so you might not get my first submission until Friday.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 08:01:32 AM »
Thanks for joining, folks! I'll add you to the second post. To answer some questions:

Best way to send?  Not sure if I missed that in the OP?

I'd like to play, but just to clarify...Would it be OK to just send you the name of the artist and their songs (and you then find them), or do I have to provide links/create a playlist?

Forgot to address this in the OP. If the songs you want to send are on Spotify, it's okay to just tell me artist and songs. You can also send me Spotify links if you want to make sure I listen to the right version. If Spotify doesn't work for you or if the song(s) aren't available there, YouTube is fine.

Count me in, I'll be out of town with spotty connection Sept 9-19, will I be able to send a song or songs early so I don't hold anyone up?

That's perfectly fine. There aren't themes or surprises; it's clear what's expected of you each round. In fact, I already have the patented Cyril six rounds of submissions.

I'll join, just know that I'm moving over these next couple days so you might not get my first submission until Friday.

That's perfectly fine.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 08:07:15 AM »
I'd like to play. Looks like I have to do some research though. Are you thinking the groups will be randomly generated, or are you going to rank us by how irritating we are?

As fun as it would be to make an annoyingness tier list, I'm going to randomly generate the first set of groups (part of why I have numbers in front of participant names in the second post is to keep track of how many people are joining, the other reason is for easy of RNG use).

The second set of groups will be seeded based on performance in the first three rounds. In other words, say there are three groups in the second set. The top three performers in the first set will all be in different groups. The next best three will all be in different groups. And so on. To be clear, scores don't carry over from 1-3 to 4-6, but the reward of having the best scores is essentially that you face "easier" competition in 4-6.

"The Forum of Dream Theater turns, and Roulettes come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Roulette that gave it birth comes again. In one Roulette, called the Fifth Roulette by some, a Roulette yet to come, a Roulette long past, a wind rose above the great mountain home of 425. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Dreamtheaterforums Roulette. But it was a beginning."

Wow, no pressure, though, everyone! :lol

Are you in or are you going to observe and write the chronicle?
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 08:19:57 AM »
Sent for Round 1!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 09:09:52 AM »
This post will contain the participants list, pool information, etc.

Participants:
1. TAC
2. Vmadera00
3. HOF
4. Cyril
5. wolfking
6. Elite
7. senecadawg2
8. ReaperKK
9. soupytwist
10. Buddyhunter1

I'm counting as in the people who said they'd join in the tracker thread, but please go ahead and post in here to confirm you've seen it and you really want to join.

I'm in if you'll have me...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 09:33:01 AM »
Round 1 sent!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2022, 09:56:36 AM »
So we're trying to open your eyes to certain bands/music?  So my last-place finish is also intended to enlighten you?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2022, 10:35:38 AM »
I'd like to join if there's room for me ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2022, 10:49:00 AM »
I'm in if you'll have me...

I'd like to join if there's room for me ;D

You're both in.

So we're trying to open your eyes to certain bands/music?  So my last-place finish is also intended to enlighten you?

First or last, I'm sure I will be enlightened. :)

My main motivation for doing a roulette is always to get a chance to sample artists that y'all are interested in. Part of why I set up the rules this time to have you submit multiple songs from the same artist is that my usual music listening pattern is to listen to full albums and dive deep into particular artists.

I've had the experience in past roulettes of hearing a song I love, then going to listen to the artist's other work and finding that most of it is different or just not for me. Nothing against those songs or the people who sent them, because I'm glad to have heard them, but since I so rarely listen to individual, isolated songs, I'm trying to set things up so that I have a better chance of determining whether I'm interested in an artist as a whole as opposed to just one track.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »

I wasn't necessarily going to join but I can do dude  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425's Roulette v5: A Beginning (Still accepting sign-ups!)
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
Round 1 sent.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »
I won't send for round 1 until I see who my competition is. That'll determine how strong my submission needs to be  :biggrin:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2022, 05:17:06 PM »
I won't send for round 1 until I see who my competition is. That'll determine how strong my submission needs to be  :biggrin:

You'd have to assume the competition is going to be strong regardless.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2022, 06:04:01 PM »

I wasn't necessarily going to join but I can do dude  :tup

Wasn't trying to cajole you into joining, but I'd be happy to have you! I'll add you to the list, but no problem if you want to back out.

I'm going to keep sign-ups open for another day or so, since, like I said, I was hoping to get at least 15. If no one else is interested, I'll figure out how to run it with whatever number we end up with, but I want to give people a little while longer.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Lethean

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »
Hi 425.  I'll join if you're good with getting a band or two that I already sent you (everyone knows what I'm sending in round 1).  Will the EP, should I make it that far, need to have a story or can it just be a longer submission of songs?  I'm not good at the concept thing so I suppose I'll be a little more confident about joining if that's not what you're looking for.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 07:45:48 PM »
Ah, what the hell.  I'll play if you'll have me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC