Author Topic: Heaviest Album You've Ever Heard  (Read 4431 times)

Offline NoFred

Re: Heaviest Album You've Ever Heard
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 01:20:00 AM »
Demanufacture - at least for what I listen to now, all goes back to this

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:54 AM »
Back when Ride The Lightning came out, it was the fastest and heaviest album I'd ever heard.
Some 38 years! later I would say Cattle Decapitation, which I love and Gorjia (who are 'too' heavy for my ear).
Also Carcass 'Heartwork' album from 1994 still ranks as one of the heaviest and melodic in my collection.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 02:03:17 AM »
Back when Ride The Lightning came out, it was the fastest and heaviest album I'd ever heard.
Some 38 years! later I would say Cattle Decapitation, which I love and Gorjia (who are 'too' heavy for my ear).
Also Carcass 'Heartwork' album from 1994 still ranks as one of the heaviest and melodic in my collection.

When Ride The Lightning came out fight fire with fire blew my speakers! Heavy as fuck then and still is now. Cattle Decapitation is excellent, seen them live a bunch of times and they crush! Going to see Dying Fetus next month as well.  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2022, 02:05:57 AM »
Ah, yeah. Cattle Decapitation are insane.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
Behemoth - Demigod
Spawn of Possession - Incurso
Necrophagist - Epitaph

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2022, 08:00:48 AM »
Anything by Frontierer. Some of the responses in here make me feel like I'm in the top percentile of heaviness tolerance on this forum, but I certainly have my limits and while I can appreciate a song or two by these guys I've never been able to sit through a full album by them because of how fucking extreme and relentless they are. Plus their albums are like 40-50 minutes, which for music like this might as well be considered torture.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2022, 08:03:52 AM »
I have a few that kind of shifted the course of what I was listening prior to listening to those albums/genres

-Opeth Deliverance, Ghost Reveries
-Katatonia Night is the New Day
-Periphery Hail Stan
-Bury Tomorrow

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2022, 09:05:57 AM »
Strapping Young Lads first album. JUST LOOK AT IT'S NAME.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
Anything by Frontierer. Some of the responses in here make me feel like I'm in the top percentile of heaviness tolerance on this forum, but I certainly have my limits and while I can appreciate a song or two by these guys I've never been able to sit through a full album by them because of how fucking extreme and relentless they are. Plus their albums are like 40-50 minutes, which for music like this might as well be considered torture.

lol @ one of the comments

At some point I started wondering if my progressive metal addiction caused me to listen to things that were no longer music.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »

This sounds pretty cool actually :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline emtee

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2022, 10:00:54 AM »
...Like Sunn O))) for instance.

Some very weird, eerie shit that is not music to my ears.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2022, 10:08:49 AM »

This sounds pretty cool actually :lol

It does, for the first five minutes or so! Then my ears start getting tired. :lol

I'd recommend the latest Car Bomb album if you haven't heard it. It's a similar style and gets just as heavy at times but it's a lot more digestible, in my opinion. Here's a nice, easygoing song from it. :biggrin:

lol @ one of the comments

At some point I started wondering if my progressive metal addiction caused me to listen to things that were no longer music.

My friend once said while we were listening to the Meshuggah song Stengah "this can just barely be considered music". :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2022, 10:19:55 AM »
I'm well aware of Car Bomb's existence!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »
i mostly can't sit through a frontierer album out of boredom, personally  :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
I feel like a princess in this thread, because I don't like a lot of the heavier things out there, and I'm at the point where a lot of the heaviest stuff is just comical to me (I sing "The Entrance of the Gladiators" - you know it as "the circus theme" - in my head every time I hear Slayer; they're a joke to me) but for me, "heavy" in terms of sound, Orgasmatron by Motorhead, Dehumanizer by Sabbath, the second G//Z/R record. 

"Heavy" as in subject matter? No question, hands down, "Dirt" by ALice In Chains. That's a BRUTAL record, IMO. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2022, 12:03:44 PM »
Most of Meshuggah's post Nothing albums are pretty heavy.  The last one in particular is crushing.  Uneven Structure's album La Partition is pretty heavy to me, especially as it gets towards the end of the album.  On the whole, it gets heavier and more suffocating as it goes.  There's an instrumental band from France called Stomb, who's album From Nihil is pretty damn heavy as well.  I would count most Russian Circles albums as well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2022, 12:07:49 PM »
Jane Doe by Converge was one of the first to pop into my head but like someone else said there might be technically heavier albums. But something about the aggression, the energy, the production, it's like getting punched in the stomach and while you bend forward to catch your breath you get hit by an anvil in the head.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »
There are so many artists/albums that I 100% with in this thread. My first thought was something like Gojira - The Way of All Flesh, or pretty much any Meshuggah album.

Out of all the others mentioned I'm fully behind the following...

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Converge - Jane Doe
Strapping Young Lad - City/Alien
Morbid Angel - Altar of Madness
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Mastodon - Remission
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthopia
Dillinger Escape Plan - any of them really
Carcass - I love how brutal their early grind albums are

I thought I'd listened to a whole Frontierer album but according to my last.fm I've only heard one song. Guess I know what I'm spinning tonight!

As for the heaviest/most extreme album that I actually LOVE, from start to finish, I'd guess my first guesses would be The Sound of Perseverance by Death, Blood Mountain by Mastodon or Slipknot's debut. They are not technically the heaviest but they are all relentlessly aggressive and pretty full on.

But basically, once you get into death metal your perception of what heavy/brutal is, gets somewhat distorted.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
folklore by taylor swift
br00tal black metal :2metal:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2022, 01:57:52 PM »
Lingua Ignota - Sinner Get Ready

And I never want to hear it again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »
Eviscerated - self titled

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2022, 04:21:59 PM »
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings. A lot of different heavy elements.

Anathema - Weather Systems. Heavy on the chills

Offline Glasser

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »

Oh hell fucking yes!!!!!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »

"Heavy" as in subject matter? No question, hands down, "Dirt" by ALice In Chains. That's a BRUTAL record, IMO.

Great comment and totally agree. Really depends on how you define 'heavy' but in this context you can't get much heavier than Dirt. An album I absolutely love but can be tough going.

In terms of the more straight forward definition it is very subjective. I was a huge Pantera fan back in the day and thought nothing could ever top Vulgar Display of Power, so when Far Beyond Driven came out - this was just so heavy, and for 'heaviness' just blew away Vulgar so that had a big impact on me. I know it has already been mentioned a few times and totally agree that at the time, Far Beyond Driven was insanely 'heavy'.

Another album that blew me away for heaviness was Fear Factory's first album - Soul of a New Machine. That had a big impact on me for 'heaviness' at the time of release.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2022, 05:59:01 PM »

Oh hell fucking yes!!!!!

I'm actually amazed anyone knows them... I only knew of them cause I had met the lead singer years ago.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2022, 06:01:21 PM »

Come on! You don’t like feeling like you’re in hell from time to time?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2022, 07:01:17 PM »
Archspire - Bleed The Future

Technical Death Metal is one of the heaviest music genres I have ever heard. The bass actually being prominent and good is why I enjoy this genre, actually the entire rhythm section of the bass and drums, how they groove are why I ended up going to see Archspire. And they did not dissappoint. One of the most energetic and moshpit filled shows I experienced, the entire lower floor was one big mosh.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:58 PM »

Oh hell fucking yes!!!!!

I'm actually amazed anyone knows them... I only knew of them cause I had met the lead singer years ago.

This Eviscerated I like. There are a few.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2022, 07:12:37 PM »
Meshuggah is as heavy as I normally go. But when I first read the thread title, this album popped into my head. Haven’t heard it in years, I don’t even remember how I first came across it, and I am by no means a black metal fan. Had to dig waaaaaay back in my youtube history to find this.
I guess it depends on what you consider “heavy” to be, but I think this is pretty heavy.

https://youtu.be/tqjmHwtmOO8

Be warned, it sounds like total dogshit.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2022, 08:59:26 PM »
I'd like to go with a left-field choice, one I've been jamming lately:

It's a very intense, extremely noisy dance album. RYM tags it as Power Noise and Deconstructed Club, plus Industrial Techno, Harsh Noise, Electro-Industrial. It's quite fun to dance to actually, if you can get through the thick layers of sound and distortion. I'm loving it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2022, 09:11:00 PM »

Oh hell fucking yes!!!!!

This Eviscerated I like. There are a few.

Yup, that's the one Brad was the singer for. I think that's what his name was, this was years ago, around 2011

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2022, 09:18:29 PM »
Heavy is a pretty subjective term, and there was a time I just wanted to hear the heaviest music there ever was. Got to Grindcore and Brutal Death Metal but I eventually dialed back to waaay more melodic stuff. Things up there can get a bit samey, with all respect to Grindcore fans. Out of the ones I actually like and can remember nowadays I'd say You Will Never Be One of Us by Nails is a very heavy album that I enjoy, even though I don't really listen to it very often, mainly due to how heavy it is. I need to be in a certain mood for it, y'know :lol. Strapping Young Lad is pretty brutal too, specially City, Alien and the S/T, and I listen to them more often.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:23:56 PM by LCArenas »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »

Holy crap! I only just heard the first track. I am intrigued. It’s pretty unsettling.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoFred

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2022, 12:30:08 AM »

Holy crap! I only just heard the first track. I am intrigued. It’s pretty unsettling.

First time hearing and like the vibe, will listen some more. But needs some sort of resolution. Alternating between these tracks with something like 1914s Where Fear and Weapons Meet might be the perfect sweet/salty mix… as it is I kept expecting Little Fluffy Clouds to break out

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2022, 12:30:12 AM »

Only half-way through the first track but it's interesting enough to listen to the rest. Not the music I thought it'd be. Reminds me a little of a Coven album (Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls). Also a tiny hint of Storm Corrosion although that was horribly overrated.

I imagine I might think it more creepy or unsettling if I were religious.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)