Author Topic: Heaviest Album You've Ever Heard  (Read 4430 times)

Offline emtee

Heaviest Album You've Ever Heard
« on: August 21, 2022, 01:57:24 PM »
Whatever your definition of "heavy" is...that's cool with me.

I've never been a huge fan of Testament - some good songs here and there - with one exception: Titans Of Creation is chock full of brutal, amazing riffs and insane drumming. Bludgeoning but exceptionally good from beginning to end and the sonic values enhance the experience. I'm not sure anything I've heard is heavier.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Heaviest Album You've Ever Heard
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
Whatever your definition of "heavy" is...that's cool with me.

I've never been a huge fan of Testament - some good songs here and there - with one exception: Titans Of Creation is chock full of brutal, amazing riffs and insane drumming. Bludgeoning but exceptionally good from beginning to end and the sonic values enhance the experience. I'm not sure anything I've heard is heavier.

Great idea for a thread!

Keeping in mind that my definition of heavy has evolved over time, I have two answers:

The heaviest album I've ever heard (at that moment): Pantera – Far Beyond Driven

Given the music I'd been listening to at the time, a list that includes all your hair-metal standards like Def Leppard and Slaughter, this record blew my freaking mind. Everything I knew about the word 'metal' got instantly recalibrated the second Phil said, "It's nothing..."

The heaviest album I've ever heard, period: Meshuggah – Nothing

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
Personally, I consider Train of thought to be pretty heavy, but probably Slipknot Iowa or slayer rein in blood

Also, White zombie's Astro creep Rips as well  :metal

Early Tool comes to mind

Fate's warning- No exit (especially Anarchy Devine) 

Deftones- around the fur

Nine inch nails- Broken ep

System of a down - toxicity

Thrice - illusion of safety

I have to be in the right mood, but boy do I love heavy music
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 03:37:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
Uuh, I'm not sure? I tend to zone out a little if it's just heavy with nothing else, so whenever music gets too one-dimensional it just doesn't do anything for me. That's why I find a lot of death metal boring for example.

I think sonically a really heavy and dense album is Jane Doe by Converge, especially because it's not in your face all the time, but I'm not sure that's 'heavy' enough for this thread when there's stuff like Strapping Young Lad's City and Meshuggah's obZen (two albums I really enjoy by the way) that exists as well. I'm pretty sure the 'heaviest' concert I have ever been to was Swans with their massive, droning wall of sound.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
Not sure about heard. Heaviest that I actually listen to is probably King’s X’s Dogman.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »
I'd probably go with Scream Bloody Gore. At the time it was leaps and bounds heavier than anything else, and there was some crazy shit coming out back then. The next 35 years have all been kind of building on that, really.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
Sepultura in their prime is still some of the most brutal and heavy music I’ve ever heard.

I’d have to give the nod to Beneath the Remains, although I’m aware most people prefer Arise. But Arise to me was a cleaner “BTR PART 2”, and at the end of the day, I just prefer the songs and rawer sound on BTR.

Chaos AD is a different animal altogether, and just seemed to be even heavier while sacrificing a little bit of speed. Roots is probably the heaviest thing they did, but it failed to resonate with me musically, even though I recognize its influence.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »
Nice thread topic.  That's damn hard to define though.  Heavy could mean so many different things.  I'll have to think about it.  There's really no right or wrong answer though I feel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
Uuh, I'm not sure? I tend to zone out a little if it's just heavy with nothing else, so whenever music gets too one-dimensional it just doesn't do anything for me. That's why I find a lot of death metal boring for example.

Yeah, to me a more interesting question would be "what is the heaviest album you enjoy?" I don't have an immediate answer to either, but that's the one that would inspire me more.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
Ironically I am on a brutal death metal kick lately. Murder Made God, Prostitute Disfigurement, Parasitic Ejaculation, and Abominable Putridity come to mind as heavy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:54:43 PM by Glasser »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 04:39:21 PM »
The only thing I can think of right now is probably something from Meshuggah like Stifled for example. It's not only heavy per se but the sonic quality makes it even heavier. Blast that in your car stereo and it will melt faces.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 04:40:04 PM »
It could go many different directions.  Ones that pop to mind;

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath/Master of Insanity
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Death - Scream Bloody Gore/Leprosy
1349 - Hellfire
Morbid Angel - Alter of Madness/Covenant
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked/Ithyphallic/At the Gates of Sethu
Warning - Watching From a Distance
Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea

Offline Glasser

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »
It could go many different directions.  Ones that pop to mind;

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath/Master of Insanity
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Death - Scream Bloody Gore/Leprosy
1349 - Hellfire
Morbid Angel - Alter of Madness/Covenant
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked/Ithyphallic/At the Gates of Sethu
Warning - Watching From a Distance
Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea

Love Frost and while Monotheist might not be my favorite of theirs I 100% think its by far their heaviest, polar opposite of Cold Lake. Good example Kade!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
The term heavy is subjective. It can be a band going heavier by being more aggressive and less poppy. A good example is Stryper's last few albums have been their heaviest but still not heavy like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »
The term heavy is subjective. It can be a band going heavier by being more aggressive and less poppy. A good example is Stryper's last few albums have been their heaviest but still not heavy like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse.

Good point on all fronts Tom.  Very subjective and depends on the context of the band like you said.

Online HOF

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 05:13:49 PM »
Not sure about heard. Heaviest that I actually listen to is probably King’s X’s Dogman.

I don’t listen to this very often, but Skid Row’s Subhuman Race is probably the heaviest album I own (all the way through at least). Savatage’s A Handful of Rain has some really heavy tracks. Train of Thought I guess might be up there. Awake is pretty heavy in places, but I don’t think it’s the heaviest of those albums. Pull by Winger is probably one of the heavier albums I enjoy.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 05:16:54 PM »
Frontierer's Orange Mathematics is crushingly heavy. It sounds like getting punched in the face repeatedly feels.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
While subjective, there's some strange albums getting thrown around already in this thread being classed as 'heavy'.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
While subjective, there's some strange albums getting thrown around already in this thread being classed as 'heavy'.

What, you don't have Prostitute Disfigurement or Parasitic Ejaculation on your list too?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
there's definitely a difference between "heaviest album i've ever heard" and "heaviest album i've ever enjoyed". lots of brutal death or black metal albums i don't care for at all out there. don't remember the names of them.

heaviest i've enjoyed? warforged's i: voice, pretty handily

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
I'm sure there are heavier albums out there, but these are what I would consider some of the heaviest that I've heard.

Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus / The Parallax II
Mastodon - Remission
Mithras - On Strange Loops

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 06:00:23 PM »

What, you don't have Prostitute Disfigurement or Parasitic Ejaculation on your list too?

No, I meant HOF's suggestion of Winger.  ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 06:13:00 PM »
Mithras - On Strange Loops
this is also a really good answer  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 06:15:27 PM »

Skid Row toured with Cannibal Corpse on the Subhuman Race Tour. Or was it Skid Row Richard Marx "Skid Marx" Tour.  :biggrin:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
Another good current example is the new Arch Enemy being called there lightest album yet its still heavier than Winger Pull which is a heavy Winger album. Another perfect example is my weight being 270 but my son is his heaviest right now at 197. :metal  :biggrin:

Online HOF

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »

Assuming this is pointed at me, I never said they were the heaviest anything other than what I listen to, which is purely factual.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »
I'm shocked there's an advisory label on it. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
I'm shocked there's an advisory label on it. :neverusethis:

Tim, check this album out. The song "Dismember The Transgender" is brutal!  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »
Probably Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. That album is just cranked up the absolute max in terms of intensity.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »
Can Kev do a Prostitute Disfigurement countdown next?   :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2022, 07:04:46 PM »
Listening to my heavy shit I stumbled on Knob Gobbler by CLITEATER.   :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2022, 11:30:58 PM »
Symphony X - Iconoclast  is heavy on the most part but not entirely.  If you took a compilation of their heaviest songs, you could make a brutally heavy album. Songs like Kiss of Fire, Serpents Kiss, or Set the World On Fire are great examples.   
I guess any of their songs with the words kiss or Fire are really heavy.  :lol  🔥   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 12:26:22 AM »
Listening to my heavy shit I stumbled on Knob Gobbler by CLITEATER.   :metal

:lol That's up there with another all-time most hilarious track name by artist I've ever heard: Fat Digester by Bum Gravy.

Heaviest I've ever heard is probably some death metal or black metal. It all melds into one and I'm not much of a fan, but it IS heavy, afaic.

So heaviest I enjoy:

Meshuggah are always fucking heavy as many have said.
The Dillinger Escape Plan were absolutely savage (and under appreciated, in my book)
Reign In Blood blew my mind in 1986, and really, most other heavy music is rendered unnecessary by its mere existence.

But heaviest has to have a lot of conviction, not just be playing theatrics. This is really hard... That section in Shitstorm by Strapping Young Lad that culminates in "if you want fucking crazy, I'll show you too be crazy - fuck YAAAOOOOOUUUU!!!!" is really something.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.