Author Topic: HBOmax purging content  (Read 1390 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
HBOmax purging content
« on: August 19, 2022, 09:44:47 AM »
So for those unaware, Warner Brothers and Discovery merged recently and Discovery+ is expected to merge with HBOmax in the next year or so. However, in the meantime, the new executive of the combined company has decided to save money by stripping some shows off HBO max in order to save money on residuals and licensing. This is the reason for the Batgirl movie that was in production being cancelled apparently.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/19/1118344173/hbo-max-cuts-shows?t=1660923343543

HBO Max cuts dozens of titles in a cost-cutting move before a merger with Discovery+

HBO Max is pulling 36 titles from its streaming platform this week, the company confirmed to NPR, citing the pending merger of HBO Max and Discovery+, which are both owned by parent conglomerate Warner Bros. Discovery. It's the platform's latest and largest content purge in a series of recent cost-cutting moves.

"As we work toward bringing our content catalogs together under one platform, we will be making changes to the content offering available on both HBO Max and discovery+," HBO Max said in a statement emailed to NPR. "That will include the removal of some content from both platforms."

The content set to disappear includes HBO Max originals like the teen drama Generation and Sesame Street spinoff The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo, as well as an unspecified selection of Sesame Street specials, and several animated shows, including Summer Island Camp.

HBO Max has quietly axed several shows and movies in recent weeks, such as Vinyl, Mrs. Fletcher, Run and Camping. But this latest announcement marks the most titles the company has taken off the platform, Variety reported. Removing titles that aren't as popular, the publication noted, will likely save Warner Bros. Discovery money on residuals for those programs.

The content slashes are just one part of multiple changes — largely hitting HBO Max the hardest — ahead of the merger, in the wake of last year's merger between Warner Media and Discovery.

About 70 employees — or about 14% of the total staff — were laid off earlier this week, as Deadline reported. Most of the layoffs were on the HBO Max side, as Warner Bros. Discovery looks to reduce redundant positions.

The news follows the platform's recent canning of Batgirl while the film was in post-production, which Warner Bros. Discovery attributed to its "leadership's strategic shift" as it rethinks its superhero content.

Here's the full list of the titles HBO Max says it will remove this week:

12 Dates of Christmas
About Last Night
Aquaman: King of Atlantis
Close Enough
Detention Adventure
Dodo
Ellen's Next Great Designer
Elliott From Earth
Esme & Roy
The Fungies!
Generation Hustle
Genera+ion
Infinity Train
Little Ellen
Mao Mao, Heroes of Pure Heart
Messy Goes to Okido
Mia's Magic Playground
Mighty Magiswords
My Dinner with Herve
My Mom, Your Dad
Odo
OK K.O.! - Let's Be Heroes
The Ollie & Moon Show
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Ravi Patel's Pursuit of Happiness
Select Sesame Street Specials
Make It Big, Make It Small
Squish
Summer Camp Island
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo
The Runaway Bunny - Special
Theodosia
Tig n' Seek
Uncle Grandpa
Victor and Valentino
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs

However, this money saving exercise is apparently now hitting some shows even harder:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1560574265367355394

Every 'Infinity Train' update so far:

- Removed from HBO Max along with many other shows
- Every Video on Cartoon Network's YouTube channel has been removed
- Soundtrack is no longer available to stream on ANY music platform
- New DVDs are no longer available for purchase

Can you imagine working pouring your heart and soul into an art project for multiple years only for some executive to make it essentially impossible to view legally to save costs and get a tax break?

Can't help but feeling these types of moves are going to burn bridges with creators...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:56:20 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: HBOmax purging content
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
I don't believe Paramount is part of this.  It's just Warner Brothers and Discovery that merged. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
I don't believe Paramount is part of this.  It's just Warner Brothers and Discovery that merged. 

You are correct, I was getting Discovery+ and Paramount+ mixed up. This has now been corrected.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 01:23:49 PM »
Not only removing, but it's hard to believe their recent cancel binge isn't also tied to this. They canceled some really good shows and there are probably still more coming from what I have read.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
I don't have a list, but apparently there's a decent amount of content both original and licensed that was silently removed without warning.
fanticide.bandcamp.com