Author Topic: Wolfgang Van Halen rips Eddie "Mr stuck in the past" Trunk  (Read 5170 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Wolfgang Van Halen rips Eddie "Mr stuck in the past" Trunk
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2022, 02:32:50 PM »
HBO/Max series. The director picked 80's hair metal songs for the soundtrack. Some new bands that do 80's hair metal now. 

I'll send you the playlist from Spotify.

Please don't. :lol

The last thing I need is an 80's Hair Metal playlist. :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2022, 02:33:39 PM »
It's fun. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2022, 03:49:02 PM »
The great thing about an 80s hair metal playlist is once you eliminate anything that isn't really good, it leaves you with a playlist that can be listened to in less than an hour.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »
Great party music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2022, 03:57:41 PM »
Hell yeah.  I still say that back in my clubbing/bar days, whenever we'd go to a place where a band was playing, nothing got the ladies to run faster to the dance floor than playing a Bon Jovi, Def Leppard or Guns N' Roses song.  The instant it began, it was either run out there with them or get out of the way of the land rush.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2022, 04:01:58 PM »
I still say that back in my clubbing/bar days,

You had clubbing days?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
Hell yeah.  I still say that back in my clubbing/bar days, whenever we'd go to a place where a band was playing, nothing got the ladies to run faster to the dance floor than playing a Bon Jovi, Def Leppard or Guns N' Roses song.  The instant it began, it was either run out there with them or get out of the way of the land rush.

No doubt about that - and yes the best memories (foggy as they may be) from my 20s were from the clubs. I vividly remember at my wedding the DJ played You Shook Me All Night Long and all the women instantly flooded the dance floor and sang along with every word.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2022, 04:25:59 PM »

You had clubbing days?

For a good laugh, try to imagine it. :lol

No doubt about that - and yes the best memories (foggy as they may be) from my 20s were from the clubs. I vividly remember at my wedding the DJ played You Shook Me All Night Long and all the women instantly flooded the dance floor and sang along with every word.

For sure.   A friend from back then and I used to chuckle at how the rock bands with the most misogynistic/sexist/demeaning lyrics were usually the ones that ladies liked the most.  Those were simpler times.  :coolio

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »

You had clubbing days?

I assume he meant like clubbing baby seals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »

You had clubbing days?

I assume he meant like clubbing baby seals?

This was me 22 years ago:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2022, 04:37:52 PM »
But dud you own Z cavariccis?  I had a pair. Lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2022, 04:47:27 PM »

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Are you talking about trousers? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Are you talking about trousers? :lol

He is, but I only know this because we've had this conversation before. I had no idea WTF a Z cavaricci   was.
And I was damn proud to have no idea too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2022, 04:53:50 PM »
Oh God. They are jeans.  Let me see and I'll post a picture. They are ridiculous.   Why bought them for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2022, 04:55:02 PM »
Oh God. They are jeans.  Let me see and I'll post a picture. They are ridiculous.   Why bought them for me.

Exactly. Why buy them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2022, 04:56:09 PM »
Wife bought them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2022, 04:57:45 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2022, 04:59:01 PM »
Nope. For me. I need to find the pics. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2022, 05:04:51 PM »
You do not need to find the pics. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2022, 01:41:32 AM »
:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PetFish

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm sure there's a million factors but I think contemporary relevance is a big one.

If Slash died today there'd be a tribute but if Eric Clapton died today there wouldn't be.  If Carlos Santana died 20 years ago there'd be a tribute but today there wouldn't be.

On the flip side, if Nickelback (I like them) died today I doubt there'd be one even though they're relevant even if it's just for being hated.

But what about any other Foo Fighters member other than Dave Grohl?  Even though FF is relevant these days I would have thought only DG would warrant a tribute if he died but here we get one for Taylor.

If Satriani died today I think there'd be one of just guitar nerds and players but nobody outside that circle would care.

So, who knows, but I think a nice "In Memoriam" tribute for EVH on Youtube from other players and artists would probably be a nice thing that wouldn't involve any heavy planning or egos.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2022, 11:14:11 AM »
If someone organizes a tribute, there will be one, if not, then not.

Contemporary relevance just determines how many people will be interested in that tribute. And of course who will participate in that tribute. A bunch of no names wouldn't draw a large crowd.

And don't underestimate the non contemporary relevant fogeys. If for example Clapton dies and someone would get Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Elton John and Mark Knopfler and maybe Phil Collins as a host, that would surely generate interest and draw a larger crowd.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2022, 09:08:36 AM »
Is it just me, or is the idea of a "tribute" stupid to begin with?  To me, it's not whether Eddie should have one, it's why did we waste the bandwidth - pun intended - on Taylor Hawkins?  So much of this just seems to be the think I hate about Eddie Trunk the most: the sort of good ole boy network that he rails about so often when it's the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, but which his entire career is predicated on when it's people he likes and knows.

The Freddie tribute was directly about raising money for AIDS charities, at a time when we were still learning, and still dealing. I know that the Taylor Hawkins shows were to benefit charities "identified" by the Hawkins family, but to me, that's not the same thing.  Then again, I'm not a Foo Fighters fan, and I sort of thing they are over-estimated based on how much people seem to like Dave Grohl.  I'm waiting for the Phil Collins backlash to hit in 3... 2...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »
At the end of the day, there's really not a set of rulebooks for when tribute shows should happen.  If a band announces it, and people are interested in being in it or buy a ticket for it, then it will happen.  Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington had their tribute shows from their respective bands. Let's not have a sense of, what's a better word than entitlement?, just because it hasn't happened yet.  Let's just go with the notion that there will not be one for EVH for the foreseeable future and go on with our lives.  Oh wait, for Eddie Trunk, that requires moving forward which given what he does, may be seem hard to do.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2022, 11:04:28 AM »
I think both Eddie and Wolfie have their own points and it's not necessarily mutually exclusive.  Eddie, as a fan, can want a tribute concert, and Wolfie being the son may not emotionally be able to do it.  I just think Eddie worded it very poorly and I do like how Wolfie called him out because I think Eddie mostly sucks.  But also, Wolfie is such a baby on twitter.  I wouldn't mind seeing those two feud for the lols

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
Wolfe was working on a tribute but one band member will not do it.  I think we know who. 

As for Eddie, he's just bewildered that they can't work it out.

Offline Adami

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
Wolfe was working on a tribute but one band member will not do it.  I think we know who. 

I think I just read that Sammy also said he wouldn't likely do one.

I guess they can just get Cherone to do it haha. That'll sell out stadiums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »
From what I read Sammy would have done it.

Offline Adami

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »
I think both Eddie and Wolfie have their own points and it's not necessarily mutually exclusive.  Eddie, as a fan, can want a tribute concert, and Wolfie being the son may not emotionally be able to do it.  I just think Eddie worded it very poorly and I do like how Wolfie called him out because I think Eddie mostly sucks.  But also, Wolfie is such a baby on twitter.  I wouldn't mind seeing those two feud for the lols

I'd watch that.  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2022, 12:11:49 PM »
From what I read Sammy would have done it.

At some point, probably.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-doesnt-know-if-he-would-perform-at-proposed-van-halen-tribute-concert-i-dont-think-id-go-back-there

Maybe after the fiasco trying to get it together he had enough. I do know the Sam & Dave tour didn't end well. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2022, 12:12:48 PM »

I think I just read that Sammy also said he wouldn't likely do one.

I guess they can just get Cherone to do it haha. That'll sell out stadiums.

There was a good interview with Wolf a couple months ago, and as is sort of typical of him, he said some conflicting things.   He absolutely, without naming names, threw Roth under the bus, but later in the interview he said something along the lines of "everyone looks at me and used to look at dad, but Van Halen doesn't take a shit unless Uncle Al says it's okay.  He runs the show and has for a long time".  I'm paraphrasing.  And he also intimated that Alex and Dave were actually on good terms (something that Dave has said as well, around the time of his cryptic "retirement" announcement). 

I think the lesson from all this is, the Van Halen machine is a complicated steam ship that doesn't turn on a dime.  I get the sense that at ANY ONE MOMENT, so-and-so might be the problem, but once that works out, something else comes up. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2022, 12:16:13 PM »
I think the lesson from all this is, the Van Halen machine is a complicated steam ship that doesn't turn on a dime.  I get the sense that at ANY ONE MOMENT, so-and-so might be the problem, but once that works out, something else comes up.

And this is not news, it's been that way most of my life.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2022, 04:31:13 AM »
Trunk felt the need to tweet this:

All the Taylor Hawkins tribute stuff looks amazing and well deserved. But every @VanHalen has to be trying to figure out how two massive events in 2 countries could come together in months for Taylor, and almost 2 years after @eddievanhalen passed nothing..

Wolfgang fired back at him with this:

It’s not my job to help you people deal with my dad dying. If I can even begin to try and collect myself during all the immature harassment from these type of passive aggressive arguments and insults for the past two years, then you can figure it out too. I’m just so done.

Now, I have seen enough to know that Wolfie acts like an immature child on Twitter on a regular basis, but I am on his side in this one.

Yeah, that sounds like Wolfgang is being the passive aggressive one there.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »
I don't know.  Not very passive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.