Author Topic: Wolfgang Van Halen rips Eddie "Mr stuck in the past" Trunk  (Read 5173 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Wolfgang Van Halen rips Eddie "Mr stuck in the past" Trunk
« on: August 18, 2022, 05:35:17 PM »
Trunk felt the need to tweet this:

All the Taylor Hawkins tribute stuff looks amazing and well deserved. But every @VanHalen has to be trying to figure out how two massive events in 2 countries could come together in months for Taylor, and almost 2 years after @eddievanhalen passed nothing..

Wolfgang fired back at him with this:

It’s not my job to help you people deal with my dad dying. If I can even begin to try and collect myself during all the immature harassment from these type of passive aggressive arguments and insults for the past two years, then you can figure it out too. I’m just so done.

Now, I have seen enough to know that Wolfie acts like an immature child on Twitter on a regular basis, but I am on his side in this one.

Offline PetFish

Re: Wolfgang Van Halen rips Eddie "Mr stuck in the past" Trunk
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »
I think it's an interesting point and not something I've even given any thought to until this post.  Even as a guitarist with EVH as an idol it didn't even cross my mind... probably cuz nobody seems to care much these days about guitar heroes.

My only real question would be who organizes these things?  For Taylor was it his family?  Dave Grohl?  The record company?  Other drummers?

Maybe they've tried doing a tribute for Eddie but Alex/Wolfgang/etc said "no thanks" and that's the reason.  I'd be a little sad if it's never even been thought about by the powers-that-be.

The way Trunk worded this wasn't good but I think it's a fair observation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:44:09 PM »
If Trunk wants to see EVH honored, why doesn’t he use his influence and put something together? Wolfy doesn’t owe anybody anything. Very confused by this.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 07:47:20 PM »
It's DLR holding it all up.

Eddie should have started with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »
Trunk seems to ignore the fact that the Foo Fighters were/are an active band, while Van Halen had been a retired/defunct band for years, so naturally the icon from the active band will get the tribute treatment, especially when Dave Grohl is involved.

My guess is that Alex and Wolfie wouldn't have minded a tribute, but only with Roth.  They likely wanted nada to do with Hagar and Anthony, both of whom would be down for it no questions asked, but they would never do it on their own without Alex and/or Wolfie.  The shit show that had become VH in the last several decades, largely fueled by the brothers, is why there has been no tribute show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:54:50 PM »
Yeah, definitely.   Plus, this is up Grohl's wheelhouse getting musicians together and VH was a soap opera.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 12:53:58 AM »

Now, I have seen enough to know that Wolfie acts like an immature child on Twitter on a regular basis, but I am on his side in this one.

I think he gives as good as he gets, if I copped what he does I wouldn't be so nice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 08:33:58 AM »
If memory serves, there was an attempt to put together a tribute show for EVH, but egos.  Trunk should know that.

And yeah, Trunk is a dinosaur.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 08:34:21 AM »
My take:

I understand Wolf's point. The guy is having a hard enough time adjusting to life without his dad and best friend. They are, essentially, a small family. He is the only child. And they had a deep connection. So with Wolf being in the public eye (which was his choice) he's continually hearing all this stuff about his dad and honoring his dad. It has to be tough.

That said - Wolf seems to take things way too personally. That comment about Eddie had nothing to do with Wolf. Eddie just wants to see something appropriate done for EVH. And he's not wrong.

The other side of it is Wolf knows, I am sure, what the hold up is, and he's not going to sit there and throw people under the bus either. Yeah, we all suspect (and we're all probably right) that it's squarely on DLR's shoulders. And if you do a tribute with just Sammy and say Gary Cherone, sure, the vocals will be better, but it wouldn't be quite...right, without Dave.

Bottom line - Wolf needs to stop reacting to this shit. The man is in pain, still, two years on. It took me two years to move forward, in a meaningful way, after losing my mom. It differs for people and it sucks Wolf is struggling. But reacting to random shit on Twitter isn't helping him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Deathless

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 08:49:21 AM »
As Kev mentioned the two bands/people are not the same situation, and while I can't personally speak to the pain of losing a parent and dealing with that experience, I do think Wolf took this too personally.

Nowhere does Eddy or anyone mention people needing help dealing with EVH passing away. If anything a celebration of his music and band would be a great way to put a cap on his career and legacy. Also I believe Wolf even mentioned in an interview something along the lines of "You know where the holdup is but I'm not going to name names."

I honestly think he would be best getting off social media if he's still having challenges dealing with trolls/rude fans etc.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 11:44:46 AM »
Bottom line - Wolf needs to stop reacting to this shit. The man is in pain, still, two years on. It took me two years to move forward, in a meaningful way, after losing my mom. It differs for people and it sucks Wolf is struggling. But reacting to random shit on Twitter isn't helping him.

You know what will help him?  Continuing to forge his own path.  Alter Bridge would not pick his band to open for them in Europe in large arenas only because he's EVH's son and they are good friends.  He's in that role, because he's a great musician that delivered a solid album and that he needs to continuing building on that and change the public perception that way and try to continuing the healing process that way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 12:22:50 PM »
Anguyen92 - absolutely. I was very curious to hear Wolf on his own merits, and he did not disappoint. I am excited to hear what's next from him. His own path is exactly what he should be doing, IMO, and he's doing it. I am so happy he said "NO VH" and has stuck to that. But I also think, as time moves on, and he heals, he'll do his own tribute to his dad in his own way. Maybe one day, four, five, six years down the road, he'll play a solo of his dad's live during his shows. As a nod to him, and as Wolf heals, a gesture to those who supported his family over the years. But if not, no big deal. But Wolf absolutely needs to heal and be his own guy, and I am glad he is doing it. I just wish he'd stop reacting to the buffoons on Twitter. That's not helping him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 01:56:40 PM »
Why does there have to be a VH tribute? The way Trunk's wording it it seems like it's mandatory and that's bullshit.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 06:32:17 PM »
Why does there have to be a VH tribute? The way Trunk's wording it it seems like it's mandatory and that's bullshit.

Right.  It's very rare for a musician to get a massive tribute on a scale similar to the one Freddie Mercury got or the one Taylor Hawkins is getting.  Was EVH great and influential enough to deserve one?  Probably, but so were a bunch of other musicians who didn't get the Freddie/Taylor treatment. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
Eddie is in an elite group. He deserves it. Roth is a dick, plain and simple. One day dude. Suck it up.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 08:09:23 PM »
Was EVH great and influential enough to deserve one?  Probably, but so were a bunch of other musicians who didn't get the Freddie/Taylor treatment. 

Even Freddie and Taylor are quite a ways a part in terms of influence.  Taylor really isn't even in the same universe as EVH in terms of legacy.  There's a good argument that EVH is the most important rock musician of the last 50 years, and even if not, he's probably in the top 5, at least for instrumentalists.  He's a very unique case. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »
The thing that hurts Eddie is the complete lack of anything for the last 25 years of his life. He didn't influence jack shit during that time.
The only person responsible for the lack of legacy is Eddie himself.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 09:46:37 PM »
Was EVH great and influential enough to deserve one?  Probably, but so were a bunch of other musicians who didn't get the Freddie/Taylor treatment. 

Even Freddie and Taylor are quite a ways a part in terms of influence.  Taylor really isn't even in the same universe as EVH in terms of legacy.

Spot on
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 12:53:04 AM »
I'm not saying EVH doesn't deserve it, he clearly does. Imo he's one of the most influential guitar players ever, even if he didn't do a lot in the last years.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 05:39:51 AM »
Van Halen is my favorite band ever. The first band that I really got into. I cried the day Eddie died. Saying that, Trunk is a douche and he needs to get over this shit. I don’t care if they ever do an official tribute show. They don’t have to. Leave them alone. If they do it, awesome. If they don’t, that’s cool too. Wolf is doing a pretty good job of having his own career now, he released one of the best rock albums in a decade. Leave him alone, and stop acting like losing his dad was worse for us fans than it was for him. Alex is trying to live out his life out of the public eye. Just let him. People act like they owe something, they don’t owe us ANYTHING. They talk about wasted years. If they’re living their lives and happy….they aren’t wasted. Just because they’re musicians, it doesn’t mean making albums and playing tours is the most important thing in their lives. They’re human beings too. VH fans are the fucking worst with this shit.

And you want a tribute to EVH? Go watch Wolf’s video for ‘Distance’. There’s no concert that would be a better tribute to that man than that video is.

End of rant.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 06:34:23 AM »

Even Freddie and Taylor are quite a ways a part in terms of influence.  Taylor really isn't even in the same universe as EVH in terms of legacy.  There's a good argument that EVH is the most important rock musician of the last 50 years, and even if not, he's probably in the top 5, at least for instrumentalists.  He's a very unique case.

I am not sure that is true anymore, and I say that as a big VH fan. Eddie's flashy style of guitar playing fell by the wayside in the mainstream by the early 90s, and when you consider how the electric guitar isn't the big star of the mainstream music world that it was for decades, it unfortunately minimizes the influence of those who were greatly influential in their own era.  Think of it this way: how often do any modern day musicians list Eddie Van Halen or Van Halen in general as a big influence?  I will take an educated guess and say probably not often at all.  Billie Eilish caught grief from online VH fans years ago when she had no idea who Van Halen was, but I think that was symbolic of the younger generation, most of whom either have no idea who VH is or don't listen to them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 06:42:55 AM »
I just watched a rock doc on Charvel.  It showed how influential Eddie was and is.  I think people forget how trailblazing he was like Hendrix. No one was like him back then.

Then everyone was like him.  That speaks volumes. 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 06:58:07 AM »
EVH has influended a whole generation of rock guitar players, so sure he's influential. And I'm pretty sure that most modern rock guitar players know who he is and what he's done for the electric guitar.

That someone like Billie Eilish hasn't heard of him doesn't make him less influential, just shows, that she comes from a complete different background and has completely different musical interests.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »
Most kids these days wouldn't know Page/Clapton/Hendrix either but I don't equate that in any way with legacy.  The only way that Hawkins might get close to matching Ed is with his off stage activities.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 07:06:10 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 07:13:14 AM »
EVH has influended a whole generation of rock guitar players, so sure he's influential. And I'm pretty sure that most modern rock guitar players know who he is and what he's done for the electric guitar.

That someone like Billie Eilish hasn't heard of him doesn't make him less influential, just shows, that she comes from a complete different background and has completely different musical interests.

Yet, I have never heard of Billie English, go figure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2022, 07:15:37 AM »

Yet, I have never heard of Billie English, go figure.

But surely you've heard of her father......Johnny English?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2022, 08:36:39 AM »
The thing about Eddie’s influence is he influenced a generation of players mostly in the 80s who themselves are relatively obscure now, and who were then followed by a generation of bands/guitarists who kind of reacted against his style. It doesn’t mean a lot to people now when you say Eddie influenced the likes of Vito Bratta, or even guys who are still relatively prominent like Nuno Bettancourt or Paul Gilbert. Nobody (hyperbole) listens to their music anymore either. Even Billy Corgan, a guy from the 90s who would still praise EVH, hasn’t kept up the same kind of profile as contemporaries like Dave Grohl. So there’s just not a whole lot of banner carrying going on for the younger generation to be turned on to Eddie’s music.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »
That's every generation. Like Hendrix though. You don't hear about him like we used to. There's always someone new to take that mantle.

It don't lesson the influence.

Offline HOF

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
That's every generation. Like Hendrix though. You don't hear about him like we used to. There's always someone new to take that mantle.

No, it doesn’t take anything away from how influential he already has been for sure. It’s just going to be hard for a new generation to discover him unless something brings that type of music back to the forefront. Maybe some sort of Stranger Things type of exposure or something.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »
The problem with getting VH exposed to the younger generation is the nature of their lyrics.  I suspect the average person under 25 nowadays would hear their music and think the lyrics are degrading to women (and that could be just the start of it).

Offline HOF

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
The problem with getting VH exposed to the younger generation is the nature of their lyrics.  I suspect the average person under 25 nowadays would hear their music and think the lyrics are degrading to women (and that could be just the start of it).

Yeah, there was a bit of kerfuffle from some people discovering problematic things about Metallica after Stranger Things. But somehow most rap and pop music which can be quite raunchy gets a pass, so maybe not. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2022, 09:34:25 AM »

Yeah, there was a bit of kerfuffle from some people discovering problematic things about Metallica after Stranger Things. But somehow most rap and pop music which can be quite raunchy gets a pass, so maybe not.

Don't get me started. The double standard when it comes to raunchy lyrics in rock music vs rap music is more than obvious.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »

No, it doesn’t take anything away from how influential he already has been for sure. It’s just going to be hard for a new generation to discover him unless something brings that type of music back to the forefront. Maybe some sort of Stranger Things type of exposure or something.

The Peacemaker did.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »

The Peacemaker did.

Never heard of them. Do they do a cover?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
HBO/Max series. The director picked 80's hair metal songs for the soundtrack. Some new bands that do 80's hair metal now. 

I'll send you the playlist from Spotify.