Author Topic: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)  (Read 15160 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:22:34 AM »
I checked to see if there was a dedicated thread to this show and all the discussion has been in the GOT thread. So, thought we could discuss this series in it's own spot. Premier set for this Sunday, 8/21. First season has 10 Episodes. Trailers have looked pretty great.....looking forward to seeing if this one captures that 'feel' from GOT that we all fell in love with.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

Re: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
Cautiously optimistic about it. I do have an idea of the storyline because of the animated feature they included as a bonus disc on the season 7 bluray boxset. That was just a 45 min animation but thought was really cool.

This however will be a longer version of that. I am quite stoked that Miguel Sapochnik is involved in it, he directed Hardhomme and Battle of Bastards along with two in the final season. He had some great ideas for the 3rd episode in season 8 which were all shot down so I'm hoping he can bring interesting ideas to this show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
Honestly, despite everything i'm very excited for this.

looking forward to seeing if this one captures that 'feel' from GOT that we all fell in love with.
If they just capture some of that I would be quite happy, I don't think this will ever be the same as GOT for various reasons. Of course one could hope for a Better call saul type of thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:20:54 AM »
I am watching this, even though I am philosophically against it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 10:45:22 AM »

Due to what? Do you believe they're just trying to cash in or think that some things should just be left on the page? Or do you hate the Targaryen's?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »
I have never watched GOT entirely, me and my wife watch first season and half of the second and stop.

We are planning to watch HOTD and when this one is finish we'll watch GOT is that a good plan?

Online faizoff

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 06:06:23 AM »
You should be fine, House of Dragons takes place a few hundred years prior to the main GoT show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 01:19:52 PM »

Due to what? Do you believe they're just trying to cash in or think that some things should just be left on the page? Or do you hate the Targaryen's?
I hate that Martin spent his time writing the book this show is based on (Fire & Blood) instead of finishing the original series.

I also hate that HBO is starting a show based on this book, even though they will run into the exact same issue they did with Game of Thrones.  The book it's based on was supposed to be part 1 of a 2 book series.  I'll give you 2 guesses as to whether or not a publication date has been announced.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
GRRM is 73. He'll never finish. I think even he knows it but he just won't come out and say it.

I was on the fence about this but then my wife saw a commercial and got all excited. We did watch the entire GoT together so I guess we will be doing this as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »
I hate that Martin spent his time writing the book this show is based on (Fire & Blood) instead of finishing the original series.

I also hate that HBO is starting a show based on this book, even though they will run into the exact same issue they did with Game of Thrones.  The book it's based on was supposed to be part 1 of a 2 book series.  I'll give you 2 guesses as to whether or not a publication date has been announced.

:facepalm:   So they didn't learn from their mistake with GOT....well....dang.

Online faizoff

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »
GRRM did blog recently that he was almost done wrapping viewpoint on one or two characters recently for Winds of Winter.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 04:26:22 PM »
Early reviews are a bit mixed, especially the reviews based on the first 6 episodes.  Seems like these first few episodes span several years.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 07:47:49 PM »
Maybe if people around me are very, very excited I will give it
a watch. I have barely seen any material of this, but I have to say I think that wig on Matt Smith looks really bad.

Online faizoff

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 09:40:51 PM »
Thought that was a solid opening episode. I was not ready for the brutality of some sections. Familiar musical cues and some familiar terms, funny to hear things like Vale, hand of the king, Maester with different characters now. I really enjoyed that first episode, nothing really that boombastic, more dialogue driven which I always thought were the strong parts of GoT.

Now have to learn the names of the characters.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 10:53:32 PM »
It was a pretty good opening episode and set things up for plenty of tension. As faizoff said, the gore factor was over the top, but in line with some of the more extreme GoT violence.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 04:45:48 AM »
I thought that was a really solid first episode.

Online faizoff

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 06:12:13 AM »
It took a minute to figure out all the various sigils, they showed the deer flag and couldn't recall the name until they mentioned Baratheon. Also nice to see the Starks being represented. Going to watch again to catch up on all the references to various houses and alliances.

Kinda wild to see King's Landing and the Red Keep, plus the throne room was fantastic.

Also have to mention the directing by Miguel Sapochnik, the scenes from the knight tournament were so fun to watch. I've always loved his directing, he had interesting ideas on the last few episodes he directed in GoT but were mostly shot down. With him being a showrunner now I imagine he'll have more options.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:20:57 AM by faizoff »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 07:35:38 AM »
I thought it was great - it was fun to be back in Westeros, with a whole new story and characters.  I loved how they tied both series together with the prophecy at the end of the episode and the dagger. 

It looked and felt just like GoT.  Looking forward to next week!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 07:36:35 AM »
Quality start, although it feels like the real story will start next week. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »
I'm still on the fence of how I feel about this and that may be the case until the season is over, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode.  It could be some nostalgia of seeing Westeros again and the known houses.  I feel like the actors/actress also look very similar to their GOT family members which is pretty neat. We'll see where the story goes, but good start and I'm more intrigued now.  The birth scene was really hard to watch, but the directing with that and the tournament was great TV.  Also great to have Ramin Djawadi doing the music again.  It was different, but similar and portrayed a lot of the same feelings as GOT. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 08:03:12 AM »
Agree with the rest of you. Solid first episode that really set up the remainder of the season. But like Faizoff said....Gonna take a bit to get all these names straight though  :lol 

Online faizoff

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 08:40:45 AM »
I knew that OG king in the beginning looked familiar 'King Jaehaerys Targaryen', so I looked him up, it's played by the guy who played Bib Fortuna lol.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 09:10:00 AM »

The benefit of a prequel at least is that the major plot points are already set in stone. We know how this story ends already, so the writers can concentrate on the journey and not trying to create a whole narrative from cloth.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 09:23:41 AM »
I didn't expect this.

https://www.ign.com/articles/house-of-the-dragon-largest-premiere-in-hbo-history

Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is HBO Max’s biggest premiere ever. The show’s debut episode was watched by 9.986 million viewers across HBO and HBO Max – the largest audience for any new show in HBO’s history.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 10:11:18 AM »
I didn't expect this.

https://www.ign.com/articles/house-of-the-dragon-largest-premiere-in-hbo-history

Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is HBO Max’s biggest premiere ever. The show’s debut episode was watched by 9.986 million viewers across HBO and HBO Max – the largest audience for any new show in HBO’s history.

Looks like all the people who were ticked about how the last couple seasons were rushed and watered down etc etc (list your complaint) still tuned in.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 10:18:16 AM »
I didn't expect this.

Looks like all the people who were ticked about how the last couple seasons were rushed and watered down etc etc (list your complaint) still tuned in.

And that would include both myself and my gf and we both enjoyed the episode.  I'm not surprised though.  I'm sure since HBO max launched, there's more people with access to HBO so with such a new show, there's more people able to watch. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 10:46:09 AM »
I didn't expect this.

If D&D were in charge of this one too, I definitely wouldn't have tuned in. I think the differences are pretty evident, even with just this first episode. It felt like GOT used to feel.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 11:00:32 AM »
I didn't expect this.

I heard somewhere that it temporarily crashed their service

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
Not a fantasy fan, but I thought the first few episodes of GoT were great. I think, however, that I'll wait until it's finished to watch it at my pace if I decide to.

Hopefully the good reviews keep up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 01:35:22 PM »
I didn't expect this.

I'm not surprised. When I went for the GoT music concert after the series ended, it was in a venue that could hold 15,000 people. It was almost packed.  and the crowd cheered for most of the season 8 visuals. I don't think the internet reaction fully captures GoT popularity.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
I don't think the internet reaction fully captures GoT popularity.

I don't know a single person IRL who enjoyed the GOT ending.  It seems, from my POV, that the internet response was very similar to what I see when I talk to friends about it in person.  But I think it's a mix of more eyeballs who can watch HBO today compared to previous GOT or other record breaking viewership moments plus the large amount of people who want to check it out like myself and it seems many here.  I wouldn't be surprised if episode 2 has a large viewership as well.  I think some people didn't even watch the show on Sunday and waited until hearing from others before watching and most people I've talked to seemed to like episode 1.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »
I don't think the internet reaction fully captures GoT popularity.

I don't know a single person IRL who enjoyed the GOT ending.  It seems, from my POV, that the internet response was very similar to what I see when I talk to friends about it in person.

At the time....after reading all about the actors/actresses that were pretty much 'over' their roles and ready to move basically forcing a quicker resolution to the story.....I was 'fine' with how the show ended. The first handful of seasons were incredible....last couple were just 'alright' and it's no coincidence the show went downhill once the source material dried up.

My largest issue with it as I look back on it is the fact that Jon didn't kill the night King and wasn't proclaimed 'king' in the end was a massive deviation from what was being set up the entire time. His resurrection was voided as pointless and his lineage wasn't important either in the end and both were massive storylines and points being made.....all for nothing. Horrible writing.... Having Arya be the one who killed the night king was 100% placating to the #meetoo vibe at the time and didn't fit the show at all.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
But wasn't Arya beig trained to becoming an assassin? What's the big deal with her being the one to kill the night king then? Her storyline otherwise would have been pointless too.

Now here's a thought: GRRM has created a wonderful world, but there's too much happening and there's no way he can wrap up everything while still making sense.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »
But wasn't Arya beig trained to becoming an assassin? What's the big deal with her being the one to kill the night king then? Her storyline otherwise would have been pointless too.

Now here's a thought: GRRM has created a wonderful world, but there's too much happening and there's no way he can wrap up everything while still making sense.

He's been saying he wanted GOT to be much longer, over 10 seasons now.  It probably would have taken that long to write his way out of his story.  I do think GRR is a big part of the blame.  But he's also part of the success and may be the reason why HoD could be very good.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »
My main issue with how the main series ended was just how rushed everything was at the end. Daenerys succumbing to her darker side could have worked if they had spent more than 4 episodes building it up, as opposed to the 6 series that showed her having a nasty streak but fundamentally one who cared about justice for the common people. And resolving the night king storyline in a single episode fight just seemed....eh.

This new series interests me however. With a new cast free of the baggage of the prior series and a plot that is at least complete in the skeletal sense, I look forward to seeing what can be done with it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman